Decided against a new E350 wagon

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Decided against a new E350 wagon

Well today I told my dealer(s) the deal was off on the E350 Wagon. Delivery schedule was getting in the way of a trip back east planned for mid April and the trade value of the '03 Sedan was too flexible 60-90 days down the line So I decided to "suffer" with my E320 for a while longer..

I will continue to enjoy driving the 320 and take a look at what is available in the late fall...maybe the new V6 Diesel in the wagon (?) or perhaps take a look at the new R Class (GST.) We will see....
Old 02-09-2005, 02:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,445 Likes on 3,154 Posts
'71 Pinto
Can’t say that I blame you, I’m intrigued by the 350 but personally I’m waiting till about June 06. Sure the initial kinks should be out by then, but more importantly to me, if mileage is kept at the current pace, the warranty will run out on the 03 at this time. I didn’t go for an extended warranty because I do not hold to my vehicles longer than three years. In this case, using the warranty expiration as a benchmark it will be about three and half years held.
Old 02-09-2005, 02:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
W211 2005 CDI, X166 2013 350 BT, 997.1 2008 C4S
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
Well today I told my dealer(s) the deal was off on the E350 Wagon. Delivery schedule was getting in the way of a trip back east planned for mid April and the trade value of the '03 Sedan was too flexible 60-90 days down the line So I decided to "suffer" with my E320 for a while longer..

I will continue to enjoy driving the 320 and take a look at what is available in the late fall...maybe the new V6 Diesel in the wagon (?) or perhaps take a look at the new R Class (GST.) We will see....
V6 CDI in the wagon? Sign me up. They need to expand their US market CDI offerings here.
Jay
Old 02-09-2005, 02:50 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 E350 Wagon, 05 MINI Cooper S Convertible
Nevada Jack...sorry to hear that. I just paid for mine today and pick it up on March 1st from the factory. I was looking forward to sharing stories about the new experience with you. Because of my military status, I was able to get the car for 10% off MSRP. My car was $56655 equiped as outlined in my sig. Does that sound like a good deal? I don't have to pay Tax or Shipping. I'll have to pay tax in the state I eventually move back to or register the car in.

The art of car shopping did not occur, as there is no negotation process. The dealer did throw in winter mats. I also get a dinner for two at a local German Gasthaus for sending them a buying customer! I'll post pictues soon of one of the very first N.A. Spec E350 Wagons to hit the Autobahn.
Old 02-09-2005, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have a feeling they are waiting for the V6 CDI to get into full production. Also, when the low sulphur fuel becomes available that will open the NY/CA markets. The ML is supposed to have both the 320 and the 280 CDI at the end of the year. But with the wagon being such a small segment of sales, they may just find it is not profitable to further split that small segment to a gas and a diesel model.

I would not be surprised to see the new B Class minivan (?) to have a diesel option. Whether they will consider it for the R Class who knows. I would be tempted on the R Class with a 350 V6 gas in it but not a V8. Put a 320 CDI in it an I would really be tempted. Just depends on how big that damn (GST) thing is in real life.

Enough rambling on trying to figure out what MB is planning...sometimes I wonder if the people in Montvale are ever let out of the compound to see what is really wanted or needed by their customers.
Old 02-09-2005, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Congratulations! You have a very nice car coming...I saw the Platinum Blue yesterday while at the dealer.

You got a great price...I was able to get the $64,000 MSRP down to $61,158 delivered + taxes and reg. That is $250 over Net Invoice here. So $56,655 is really a great deal! And the free shipping home is also great (I spent 20 years in the Navy and never had a deal like that!)

We will be looking forward to seeing the pictures and hearing how that 350 engine and 7speed tranny is performing for you.

Jack
Old 02-10-2005, 02:13 PM

'03 BMW 330i ZHP / '06 Volvo V70R
Enough rambling on trying to figure out what MB is planning...sometimes I wonder if the people in Montvale are ever let out of the compound to see what is really wanted or needed by their customers.
I wrote yet another email to MBUSA asking not if, but WHEN they would offer an E320 CDI 4Matic wagon, given that the new V6 leaves enough room for AWD.

Their reply:

Thank you for your recent internet query.

Due to the high torque in the E320 CDI engine, 4MATIC all-wheel-drive
is
not available in this vehicle. At this time, we have no definitive
information if this model will be available in the future.

It's silly not to offer that vehicle if they bothered to offer the E500 4Matic wagon. I live in MA anyways, so as long as it's here by 2007 I'm ok with it.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:03 AM

'06 SL65
Nevada Jack: Nothing wrong with your E320 as it's still a beauty! I'm glad you're still keeping it for now.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by LIONHEAD
Nevada Jack: Nothing wrong with your E320 as it's still a beauty! I'm glad you're still keeping it for now.
Thanks Lionhead...you are right, it is a beauty and I have not had an issue with it as yet. I am looking forward to the trip east in April and putting some big and fast miles on it.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Good luck with your trip, and the R-class sounds like a very nice vehicle. Hopefully it will also be offered with the 400CDI.

Take care and keep in touch,

Kind regards,
John
Old 02-12-2005, 02:03 AM

sl and M-class E320 4Matic SLK350
R Class

It will be odd to have a Mercedes that does not have a sunroof option since it looks like the Panorama fixed glass roof will come standard. Quite frankly I wonder if Mercedes Alabama is duplicating product offering the R Class and the new G Wagon both with extra seating. It may be that one of the two will end up as a niche model (probably the new G Class) and the new R Class will be the volume multi-passenger "mini van."
Old 02-12-2005, 08:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by northbenz
It will be odd to have a Mercedes that does not have a sunroof option since it looks like the Panorama fixed glass roof will come standard. Quite frankly I wonder if Mercedes Alabama is duplicating product offering the R Class and the new G Wagon both with extra seating. It may be that one of the two will end up as a niche model (probably the new G Class) and the new R Class will be the volume multi-passenger "mini van."
I kind of doubt either of these vehicles will become a "volume mini van." With the price of the R to be in the $60-80,000 range ( I don't know that much about the new G), both will probably be niche vehicles. When they decide to launch the B Class, that will surely be the volume mini.

If the new "big" G is the replacement for the present G, then the G looks like a long wheelbase ML to me if spy shots can be believed. The R will have a "4 + 2 seating arrangement.