E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Front Tri-star Emblem, why do you replace it with a flat Badge?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 01:52 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
Originally Posted by Brav
Haha if it said Fiat, It would be up on blocks in my garage 364 days of the year!
Volkswagen has actually tried putting that marketing theory (low-status brand name, expensive car) into practice. The Phaeton is the result. VW's latest ads for the Phaeton try to make lemonade out of lemon sales figures by pointing out the obvious, that if you have a Phaeton, you aren't likely to see any others.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
VW is notorious for poor service departments, poorly stocked with parts. Also, anyone who spends that kind of money on a luxury car, doesnt want to stand in a dirty service department greeted eventually by a service adviser who has no idea how to take care of a finicky, exacting, luxury car owner, surrounded by riff-raff, with no sign of a morning cup of coffee. For that reason alone, I would never consider buying one, no matter how great the car was.

As for no personality styling on Lexus' part. I agree... B L A N D. But so were the MB designs that Lexus emulated when they created their models long ago. MB was sturdy, solid....and plain. MB just happened to wake up sooner to the fact that cars also had to be Beautiful. Look at the new Toyota Avalon. its the 1st not bland looking Toyota ever! We will all be shocked at the redesigned Lexus lineup, as they play catch up to MB. Itys an ever changing world. Who would have thought that Cadillac would ever crawl back out of the crypt?
Old 02-17-2005, 11:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
2nd Mercedes (W210 and W211), have been around them since my father's R129 560 SL... I appreciate both looks, but would be more inclined to have the flat badge on like the SLK/CLK/C230K and cars that are more sporty in nature. IMHO, the E class is one of the flagship MBs sedans that defines the marque and should wear the star emblem prominently. In all honesty either way the W211 still looks fantastic.

-m
Old 02-18-2005, 02:10 AM

2003 E320
I remember way back 20 years ago before I bought my first Mercedes wanting the flat badge because I thought it had a sleeker look. Then I bought my first Mercedes and it had the tri-star emblem, and I loved being able to see it when I drive. I hope I'll always look out my front window and see that tri-star badge!
Old 02-18-2005, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E500W '03, Porsche Cayman S '06
Biggest reason I removed it was to avoid having someone else remove it so they would have some bling. If I ever came out to a parking lot and found my star missing, I would be very irritated. The flat badge is far less likely to be stolen.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 Mercedes-Benz E350 4Matic
Is it that easy to steal the star with hood closed? Can it be just pulled out with a jerk or something?
Old 02-18-2005, 06:18 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
Possibly, but the jerk would have to be a really strong guy. But seriously. The stand-up tristar is held in place by a rotating lock sleeve under the hood; it's fairly easy to remove with the hood open but I can't imagine removing it from above by any means other than cutting the hood.
Old 02-19-2005, 06:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Originally Posted by jabo
Biggest reason I removed it was to avoid having someone else remove it so they would have some bling. If I ever came out to a parking lot and found my star missing, I would be very irritated. The flat badge is far less likely to be stolen.
Hi Jabo,
Strangely enough the only time I have had an emblem stolen is when the flat one was stolen from the Sprinter and like you say I was 'very irratated'

Regards,
John

A cool morning in Torquay