Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 12:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 E55
Originally Posted by glojo
I think I know what you mean!!

Regards,
John
haha, i can't believe that i made that mistake. anway, it should have read lexus service center.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:03 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 c230 ss benzo blk/opal
Guys it seems that at this e class forum it is allowed to mention MB competitors, whereas in the stupid childrens world of w203 c classes if you even mention BMW or Audi or lexus you will get shot. My thread on the new BMW 3 series vs C class was called off topic and moved today. I am very pissed off and thank GOd one of your readers/members here pointed out this civilized thread on lexus that was not moved and is obviously a great topic. since that new GS will turn some heads and is definitely worth talking about on a e class forum. Would anyone like to please show mister SUPER BOB MODERATOR HOW A TOPIC LIKE THIS IS ACTUALLY WHAT AN ENTHUSIASTS WEBSITE IS ALL ABOUT?

I KNOW THIS MAY BE STUPID TO YOU GUYS BUT WE HAVE THIS FOOL OVER IN THE C CLASS FORUMS MAKING A MOCKERY OF THIS WEBSITE AND YET THEY DON'T BAN OR MOVE THIS GUYS THREADS. GUY YET THIS TOPIC ABOUT bmw IS OFF TOPIC. It's ridiculous. Sorry for venting, but I love to talk about MB's and the overall car world. It was a great topic that still continues as of today when this So- called moderator decided to feel insecure. I can't wait till I finish med school and get MY E500 or E55, maybe then I'll join a ore civilized bunch such as yourselves. Thanks guys. By the way check out the topic and w203 to se my response and previous opic if you are curious. If not I apologize.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:18 PM

11 W212 E350 Sport, sold 06 W211 E350
If we are talking about competitors to the E class that are not german, I would think the new Infiniti M35/45 might give MB a run for its money, more so than the Lexus GS.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:45 PM
Banned

05 c230 ss benzo blk/opal
Originally Posted by sacguy
If we are talking about competitors to the E class that are not german, I would think the new Infiniti M35/45 might give MB a run for its money, more so than the Lexus GS.
Good point I just saw that monster at INFINITi. It is an incredible car. I think they may actually steal some customers away from MB
Old 03-08-2005, 02:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
Originally Posted by krispykrme
Based on toyota/lexus history.

What side of bed did you wake up this morning.

In its new form the GS300/GS430 already keeps up with W211 easily in performance.

To you ipod may be important, for someone else a better and useable navi is more important. So what's the point?

By your own comment the 300C would also render W211 useless, since it has better electronics and uses a mercedes chassis and cost at least 10 grand less. Last time I check, a 300C will blow the door off the E320. Therefore by your logic, Mercedes should discontinue the W211 since it can't compete with much cheaper and better 300C.

Btw, GS does have aux in (in the old one as well), you just have to tab two wires in the back of the navi. Toyota disabled a lot of function on the navi it export to oversea, but many function can be recovered with ease.
I hope you slept well. So I do not ask which side of your bed. My point is simple, GS doesn't look distinctive and it doesn't look as a car 50K worth, so even 300C looks much better. You point about comparing 300C and E looks ridicules, follow it let's say why Toyota doesn't discontinue LS, because Avalon is the same car but much cheaper. Again, we talk about luxury cars in $50K-$60K range, so I hope that car costing such money looks for them. Lexus navigation is worst I ever seen, so I can't name it as a reason to buy GS. Do you think when I buy a car I should solder something? Are you still not convinced? Attend any Lexus driving event, and you will see that people stay long lines to drive Mercedes or BMW, but nobody is interested in GS. Since you are in the forum you drive mercedes, may I ask you why?
Old 03-08-2005, 03:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Originally Posted by doctamb
Guys it seems that at this e class forum it is allowed to mention MB competitors, whereas in the stupid childrens world of w203 c classes if you even mention BMW or Audi or lexus you will get shot. My thread on the new BMW 3 series vs C class was called off topic and moved today.
Morning Doctamb,
This is an excellent forum, 'Policed' by excellent moderator\moderators? There is absolutely no way I would criticise them for their decisions, simply because I am the Worlds worst offender for going off topic. So far (and I am touching my wooden head as I speak) In the last twelve months I can only recall one intervention by them, so welcome and feel free to join in our excellent debates on this very reliable vehicle

Regards,
A mild morning in Torquay
Old 03-08-2005, 10:45 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Mercedes S550
Lightbulb Gs, M

I looked at both last weekend. The M35 I drove didn't handle as well as I expected, and the focal point of the car seems to be the colorful 3-D navigation display. The car is priced well.

I didn't drive the Lexus. The trunk opening was really small--not at all practical for a sedan. The fit and finish of the interior and exterior was amazing.

I wasn't inclined to trade the E for either model.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:52 PM

04 E55
Originally Posted by Dema
I hope you slept well. So I do not ask which side of your bed. My point is simple, GS doesn't look distinctive and it doesn't look as a car 50K worth, so even 300C looks much better. You point about comparing 300C and E looks ridicules, follow it let's say why Toyota doesn't discontinue LS, because Avalon is the same car but much cheaper. Again, we talk about luxury cars in $50K-$60K range, so I hope that car costing such money looks for them. Lexus navigation is worst I ever seen, so I can't name it as a reason to buy GS. Do you think when I buy a car I should solder something? Are you still not convinced? Attend any Lexus driving event, and you will see that people stay long lines to drive Mercedes or BMW, but nobody is interested in GS. Since you are in the forum you drive mercedes, may I ask you why?

Again, blind faith.

You have lied about the usefulness of lexus navigation. I have already posted picture stating such. Show me how useful the mercedes navigation is.
Does it allows you to search POI by phone, or by name? Does it allow the entire route to be previewed? Does it allows way points to be added and re-sequenced? Heck, does it even allow the display of the exits (along with POI information for that exit) on the highway your are travelling? Or does mercedes navigation points you clearly on which exit to take (with clear name and exit number)? Last time I check, the mercedes navi can't even point you to the correct address.

You can slam on the car you don't like based on personal opinion (like the car does not look good). But to make an obvious lie to make a point is ridiculous.

I will uploard picture tonight on the interior as I returned home too late last night and picture did not came out as good as i had hoped.

How is my point of comparing an E to 300C is ridiculous. you are obviously comparing a 300C to GS. So why not 300C vs E. The 300C is build on the W210 chassis, offers a hemi that will kill pretty much the E has to offer (other than E55). It cost at least $10k less than E320. So your logic that GS should not exist should apply to W211 as well.

Again, you haven't answered my question? Why is 300C can be used to drawn conclusion that GS should not exist but it can't be used to make the same claim against the W211?

GS does not look distinctive and does not look like a car with $50k worth. What makes you think that W211 looks distinctive and look 50k worth? Last time i check, the fit and finish on the GS is far better than W211 and E60. This not to mention much better interior material used, plus a significant better navigation. Unless you fork up for the designo option on the W211 or go with E55, the interior on the mercedes is no match with the GS. Heck, even the 300C has better navigation the the W211.

Just because I drive mercedes does not mean I am going to act like a pr1ck and look down on all other car manufacturers. I give credit where credit is due.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
I have GPS in my 04 W211. I've also tried the GPS in the Acura, Lexus, and Infinity.

Here's my take: the W211 GPS is a piece of junk, compared to ones from high-end japanese car: it's hard to use, slow, and doesn't offer the level of detail & display as the Japanese one.

Also test drive both the M35 and GS over last week, both beat the W211 by miles, in term of look, ride, and quality. The W211 only beats the BMW E60 (cheap look & material). And for mid 40K, they're loaded. FYI, I paid $56K for a car w/o 18" wheells & xenon. It's just matter of time before car magazine run a comparision of Acura RL/TL, Lexus GS, Infinity M, Benz E Audi 6, BMW5, and I bet you this: The W211 would not make it to the top 3, EVER !!!.

I think the W211 GPS is only better than the ones from BMW 5/7 series and VW Phaeton.

It's funny that you compare the LS against the Avalon, ever heard of FWD and RWD ? V6 vs V8 ? Engine lay-out ?

You should so much like my wife when it comes to car: all sedan are the same: 4 doors, 4 wheels !!

I can see why an owner of an CL55 or S55 praise his/her car as high quality & prestige, since quality, look, and handling justify it, But for a piece of junk like a 6 cylinder W211 or E60, it's more like paying $40 for a lousy dinner and consider yourself a "high class"

Those who have not driven Benz or Bimmer always thought it's something fancy & cool, until they save enough buck to buy one, and find out the reality. That's why both Benz and BMW rank low in all sort of survey.

Originally Posted by Dema
Old 03-08-2005, 04:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by zam2000
I can see why an owner of an CL55 or S55 praise his/her car as high quality & prestige, since quality, look, and handling justify it, But for a piece of junk like a 6 cylinder W211 or E60, it's more like paying $40 for a lousy dinner and consider yourself a "high class"
Umm, ...nevermind!
Old 03-08-2005, 11:12 PM

11 W212 E350 Sport, sold 06 W211 E350
Spirited debate, lets throw another car in here that is German.....how about the new 2005 Audi A6......sporty, nice interior, lots of awards, including World Car of the Year.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:21 AM
Almost a Member!

2003 E320
Everyone keeps on saying that MB quality has gone down. As an owner of a W210 and an W211, I must say that they're both really high quality and in some cases, the W211 beats the W210. The plastics feel softer, the sound insulation is better, panels seem to fit together better, etc... I mean, there have been absolutely NO problems with both of them. I just don't get what everyone is complaining about. Perhaps I'm lucky and haven't had to endure any failures, but so far, there is no rattling in either of my cars and all the electric equipment still work perfectly. I just don't know what to say when someone says that their sunroom stops working or the seats make clicks?! My cars feel watertight and they don't feel flimsy at all! I hope there are other people on this forum that also feel the same.

After having seen the 06 M45 on the Infiniti website, I've got to admit that it looks great. The interior looks awesome and so does the exterior. I love the rear entertainment system. However, I don't think it will steal a lot of MB's sales. I would be tempted by the relatively low prices (50k for the top-of-the-line M45 Sport w/19 inch wheels compared to an E320/350 for around the same price), but would never actually go into an Infiniti dealer and order one. This is simply because I'm one of those people who (sort-of) get attached to a brand, just like another family I know. They are the sort of people who will buy an MB no matter whatever else happens. I guess most people buy cars according to price, then the amount of equipment you get for that price, then brand. But I must confess that I, like some, am sometimes stubborn and look at brand, then price. I think that brand means a lot to consumers and therefore, people will continue to buy products from a certain brand as long as they get what they want. My point is that even though some people know that there are better options out there, they will still buy what they think will satisfy their demands. I hope I made some sense there.

milkpowder

EDIT: the RS4 looked very sporty indeed. I wonder what the RS6 will look like?
Old 03-09-2005, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Originally Posted by sacguy
Spirited debate, lets throw another car in here that is German.....how about the new 2005 Audi A6......sporty, nice interior, lots of awards, including World Car of the Year.
Nice car but the FRONT GRILLE is HUGE It spoils the whole look of what to me has always been a very conservative car. (The German equivalent of Saab). If it was not for that awful overpowering, ugly monstrousity, I might well have purchased one. It might however appeal to the US market and I wish it luck.

Regards,
John

A mild, misty afternoon in Torquay
Old 03-09-2005, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
Originally Posted by milkpowder
Everyone keeps on saying that MB quality has gone down. As an owner of a W210 and an W211, I must say that they're both really high quality and in some cases, the W211 beats the W210. The plastics feel softer, the sound insulation is better, panels seem to fit together better, etc... I mean, there have been absolutely NO problems with both of them. I just don't get what everyone is complaining about. Perhaps I'm lucky and haven't had to endure any failures, but so far, there is no rattling in either of my cars and all the electric equipment still work perfectly. I just don't know what to say when someone says that their sunroom stops working or the seats make clicks?! My cars feel watertight and they don't feel flimsy at all! I hope there are other people on this forum that also feel the same.
My W210 & W211 both AMG models have proven to be rather reliable and enjoyable as well. And they certainly do not rattle like most Japanese cars I have driven!
Old 03-11-2005, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Show me how useful the mercedes navigation is.
Does it allows you to search POI by phone, or by name? Does it allow the entire route to be previewed? Does it allows way points to be added and re-sequenced? Heck, does it even allow the display of the exits (along with POI information for that exit) on the highway your are travelling? Or does mercedes navigation points you clearly on which exit to take (with clear name and exit number)? Last time I check, the mercedes navi can't even point you to the correct address.
1) Yes, you can search by POI name. Not phone though. I don't find that feature useful though (the M-class nav has it; I suspect the 2005 C/CLK nav has it as well, and its derivatives such as the 2006/2007 M/G/R-class navs). I believe all COMANDs did this since 1999.

2) Yes, it allows the entire route to be previewed (map or route listing). I believe all COMANDs did this since 1999.

3) Way POINT (only one) can be added. So no need for resequencing.

4) Yes, the exits can be displayed. Since exit numbers are a relatively new thing in California, I haven't checked that. If California labeled ALL the exits with numbers, this could be useful; until that happens, people in New Jersey or Nevada will have to be the ones complaining if that feature isn't there.

5) I don't believe the exit names are listed either. That would be nice until the name changes and you wait for an update disc. I find the map to be more useful.

6) Not the address thing again! POIs have addresses... have you noticed that? But based on NavTech data, I can give you plenty of addresses that I haven't seen an in-car nav take you to. But we've discussed that one for a while.

I know, everyone hates MB navigation and phones. For the most part, I find it all extremely usable... maybe because I am not a real "gadget" sort of guy. I wish more people would take the initiative you take, and buy those other cars that fit what you want, instead of sticking with Mercedes when they clearly don't like the car.

-s-
Old 03-11-2005, 04:37 PM

04 E55
Originally Posted by scorchie
1) Yes, you can search by POI name. Not phone though. I don't find that feature useful though (the M-class nav has it; I suspect the 2005 C/CLK nav has it as well, and its derivatives such as the 2006/2007 M/G/R-class navs). I believe all COMANDs did this since 1999.

2) Yes, it allows the entire route to be previewed (map or route listing). I believe all COMANDs did this since 1999.

3) Way POINT (only one) can be added. So no need for resequencing.

4) Yes, the exits can be displayed. Since exit numbers are a relatively new thing in California, I haven't checked that. If California labeled ALL the exits with numbers, this could be useful; until that happens, people in New Jersey or Nevada will have to be the ones complaining if that feature isn't there.

5) I don't believe the exit names are listed either. That would be nice until the name changes and you wait for an update disc. I find the map to be more useful.

6) Not the address thing again! POIs have addresses... have you noticed that? But based on NavTech data, I can give you plenty of addresses that I haven't seen an in-car nav take you to. But we've discussed that one for a while.

I know, everyone hates MB navigation and phones. For the most part, I find it all extremely usable... maybe because I am not a real "gadget" sort of guy. I wish more people would take the initiative you take, and buy those other cars that fit what you want, instead of sticking with Mercedes when they clearly don't like the car.

-s-
1. hmm, after i press the POI, ->vacinity of last destination, currrent position...-> it goes to category-> then it display the name of the place. But this is not what I was talking about. On the Japanese navi, it allows you to enter the name of the place such as "border's books". It would search for all borders books (you can limit the search by entering additional information such as city/state, or by catergory). This feature is missing from mercedes. Basically the search is limited by the category that mercedes setup.

2. What i mean previewed on the lexus, it allows the entire route to be previewd like a movie. You don't need to to scroll around the map.

3. this i did not know, who would this work?

6. POI i know have address. But often because of limited POI that Mercedes often, you are stuck with entering the exact address. Which mercedes does not allow you to do. My kid has dancing competition through out the western states, while she is at competition, i usually go find a coffee shop/book store to sit and entertain myself. Kind of difficult with mercedes navi since, bookstore is not a category. You can't enter the bookstore name. I can find out the address a night before in the hotel using the internet. But then again, it does not allow me to enter exact address (only within the same block), so i am stuck.

I have nothing against mercedes. Just stating what I think could be changed and do better.

Anyway, see you tomrrow.

P.S. My wife know nothing about the tv tuner nor euro command. I am claiming that the navi failed and you are looking into it for me. :v
Old 03-11-2005, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
1. hmm, after i press the POI, ->vacinity of last destination, currrent position...-> it goes to category-> then it display the name of the place. But this is not what I was talking about. On the Japanese navi, it allows you to enter the name of the place such as "border's books". It would search for all borders books (you can limit the search by entering additional information such as city/state, or by catergory). This feature is missing from mercedes. Basically the search is limited by the category that mercedes setup.
No, it's not "missing"... Becker has decided what is "best" for you. And it kind of makes sense. If you're looking for something around you, then you probably don't know the name, you are looking for a category. Like something to eat. Or a bank, or gas station. If you enter the CITY first (instead of current location) then it assumes you have someplace in mind... at which point you can enter the name.

2. What i mean previewed on the lexus, it allows the entire route to be previewd like a movie. You don't need to to scroll around the map.
On mine, I can see the entire route. It zooms the map exactly the right amount to show the whole thing.

3. this i did not know, who would this work?
It's called "Stop Over" (slightly less cryptic than the "STOP" used on COMAND 2.0... which seemed to indicate "stop navigating" but really meant a stopover). Soft button on new COMANDs after destination set, map menu choice on COMAND 2.0.

6. POI i know have address. But often because of limited POI that Mercedes often, you are stuck with entering the exact address. Which mercedes does not allow you to do. My kid has dancing competition through out the western states, while she is at competition, i usually go find a coffee shop/book store to sit and entertain myself. Kind of difficult with mercedes navi since, bookstore is not a category. You can't enter the bookstore name. I can find out the address a night before in the hotel using the internet. But then again, it does not allow me to enter exact address (only within the same block), so i am stuck.
Well, my point is... on a lot of those Alpine systems, the EXACT ADDRESS is STILL an approximation. I know several streets (such as in Hillsborough or Atherton or Los Altos Hills) where the addressing of the streets is just wrong in the NavTech data. Interestingly the Alpine-based and Becker-based navs BOTH do a better jobs on many of these places than Yahoo! maps, which uses a different dataset (because NavTech bought MapQuest but didn't merge the data).

I have nothing against mercedes. Just stating what I think could be changed and do better.
Not implying that you do... just trying to point out that a lot of the features are there. They just aren't as easy to find and the documentation is not that good. Like I mentioned, you're not afraid to try other things out if something doesn't work for you.

Next time, try out "Symbol" mode on the COMAND. It is pretty cool. Gives details on all the POIs ahead of you.

Anyway, see you tomrrow.

P.S. My wife know nothing about the tv tuner nor euro command. I am claiming that the navi failed and you are looking into it for me. :v
Hahaha. Will remember.

-s-