E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Motor Trend Article on the W212. Interesting tidbits on Safety and 3-Link suspension

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 11:12 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Motor Trend Article on the W212. Interesting tidbits on Safety and 3-Link suspension

Here is the Article:

I found these lines pretty interesting, this first one states that the V8's get extra reinforcements (would this mean they're safer than the V6's?)

"The bodyshell uses high-strength steel to produce better crash results than ever without adding weight. Indeed, the shell is optimized for the V-6 models: The V-8 and AMG editions get reinforcements, so that the base-engine cars aren't unnecessarily heavy. To protect pedestrians who stray into its path, the rear of the hood pops up on impact to give their heads a cushioned landing.?

And this line states about the switch to a 3-Link suspension from the more complex previous system, can anyone explain how the 3-Link is superior in crash protection? Also it states how the E and C seem to be more of the same than ever before, M-B found a way to save some some money:

"A switch to a three-link front suspension improves crash performance, though it required a lot of development driving to ensure the dynamics weren't compromised compared with the more complex previous design. The new suspension also improves component commonality with the C-Class. In fact, Mercedes engineers no longer talk of the C and E being separate platforms."
Old 04-11-2009, 06:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
My understanding is that the "basic" body was optimised for crash safety along with the V6 and smaller engines. The bigger engines do not allow the same reformation zones which is why they need additional parts (that again add weight).

The suspension approach is probably very similar for the W204 and W212 but the W212 seems to have only a couple of common parts if I look at the front suspension for example. The Airmatic version does not have more 204 parts than the connecting rods at the end of the torsion bar. The steel spring car has the same bearing at the top of the strut and the shim holding the spring. Not a lot of common parts really but similarity can still exist.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:10 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
My understanding is that the "basic" body was optimised for crash safety along with the V6 and smaller engines. The bigger engines do not allow the same reformation zones which is why they need additional parts (that again add weight).

The suspension approach is probably very similar for the W204 and W212 but the W212 seems to have only a couple of common parts if I look at the front suspension for example. The Airmatic version does not have more 204 parts than the connecting rods at the end of the torsion bar. The steel spring car has the same bearing at the top of the strut and the shim holding the spring. Not a lot of common parts really but similarity can still exist.
Thanks for the info. It's interesting how a simpler setup (from what they say) can be more benefitting for crash protection.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes,Porsche etc
well despite the poor looks of the W212 alot of people seem to miss the pretty amazing and new tech features and performance parts that are carried over from the new C and C 63 which make the new E class handle
ALOT and I mean ALOT better..

the fact that they did all the right things on the new E class that they did to the C63, as far as the handling, and steering, and suspension is a huge plus.

the Widened the track of the new W212 by 2.2 inches,,
totally redid the suspension where it now has Springs up front,
with new MUltilink design, and better angles,, that are flatter,
along with a redesigned Torsion bar for rigidity, better bushings etc..
although they still have the rear air springs for comfort
sort of best of both worlds

best news it the steering,, it gets 14:1 quick ratio steering,,
with the new rack from the C 63 and C class,, so turned alot quicker..
and is more nimble..

the handling is where the E class really needed help and looks like it got it..

now the question for all the W211 owners is, can you adapt some of the W212 parts to the W211 to improve the handling..

I suspect with a little custom work, the front springs and shocks may be able to fit along with perhaps it would be great to switch out the new steering rack with a little custom install work..

that and some Urethane bushings, and the cars would handle alot better..

well we will have to wait until the parts come to the dealers begining in June..

cross your fingers..

Old 05-06-2009, 06:22 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by storm
well despite the poor looks of the W212 alot of people seem to miss the pretty amazing and new tech features and performance parts that are carried over from the new C and C 63 which make the new E class handle
ALOT and I mean ALOT better..

the fact that they did all the right things on the new E class that they did to the C63, as far as the handling, and steering, and suspension is a huge plus.

the Widened the track of the new W212 by 2.2 inches,,
totally redid the suspension where it now has Springs up front,
with new MUltilink design, and better angles,, that are flatter,
along with a redesigned Torsion bar for rigidity, better bushings etc..
although they still have the rear air springs for comfort
sort of best of both worlds

best news it the steering,, it gets 14:1 quick ratio steering,,
with the new rack from the C 63 and C class,, so turned alot quicker..
and is more nimble..

the handling is where the E class really needed help and looks like it got it..

now the question for all the W211 owners is, can you adapt some of the W212 parts to the W211 to improve the handling..

I suspect with a little custom work, the front springs and shocks may be able to fit along with perhaps it would be great to switch out the new steering rack with a little custom install work..

that and some Urethane bushings, and the cars would handle alot better..

well we will have to wait until the parts come to the dealers begining in June..

cross your fingers..

Believe me I'm aware of the technological advancements of the W212, it's the reason I'm SO mad about its looks and how I could never justify paying for it as I just wouldn't be happy looking at it every day. If it looked on point to me I would be all over it.

That would be interesting if some party could be retrofitted, probably would be highly extensive and expensive though....