E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Autospies W212 Review. Some remarks I agree with....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 05:34 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Autospies W212 Review. Some remarks I agree with....

http://www.autospies.com/news/REVIEW...etition-43669/

Here are some of the negative remarks which seem to be in line with some of my opinion of it thus far:

"The most controversial line of the sedan is seen from the front of the rear wheel and into the rear fender. Rising up and over the rear wheel a la Bentley Continental GT, it is said to have been inspired by the 1950s W120 Ponton. This accentuation could have been more elegantly integrated without the paralleling, dramatic line that extends through the door handles from just behind the front wheel.

Although the lines parallel for only a short period of time, it bears resemblance of a wrinkled suit or the rear haunches of the E65 7-series, which featured an ensemble of too many parallel lines.

Mercedes’ new coupe carries the new design language a bit more eloquently. For instance, the same Ponton-inspired line is executed perfectly with the line sweeping into the rear taillight. There are no “wrinkles,” or a mass confusion of parallel lines."

"Remaining exterior details of the car are not over the top but many noticed the particularly interesting design of the wraparound taillights. Several journalists noted that they appeared as though they were from the Far East.

Whether they bear resemblance to a Lexus ES350 or Hyundai Azera is still up for discussion."

"Window switches and some buttons, however, feel a bit chintzy. The most noticeable piece is the emergency brake release; it feels as though it is going to break off mid release."

"Interior door handles are “L” shaped, decked out in chrome and surrounded with a chrome strip that contains the handle and appropriate seat controls with memory functions. I do not know if it is the design or feel, it just screams tacky to my eyes."

"Any piece of the interior you imagine could have used a touch of chrome has it in the new E. A bit over the top, to say the least."

"After spending sometime behind the wheel, the COMAND system becomes easier to use but at first can be slightly daunting. One aspect of the controller, which eventually became annoying, was its placement."

"For long arms it is located too far behind the shifter, so, you will find yourself cocking your wrist at ridiculous angles to work the controller. Shorter individuals, who have their seat adjusted further forward, may find the placement too far behind them to use comfortably."