E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Finally saw and check 'em out today!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 R350 & 2008 C300
I was surprised by how great the new E looks. Maybe its because I'm already used to the low rent look of the new C's interior, but I felt the E looks light years better than the C and the E its replacing. With the updates to the 2010 S class, the new E fits right in and indeed makes the old E look seriously aged.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:38 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by chilledbenz
I was surprised by how great the new E looks. Maybe its because I'm already used to the low rent look of the new C's interior, but I felt the E looks light years better than the C and the E its replacing. With the updates to the 2010 S class, the new E fits right in and indeed makes the old E look seriously aged.
I guess we all have our opinions, and if you're fond of the C, indeed the E will be easier to swallow. I personally think the C's interior beyond unacceptable and pretty horrible..

I do disagree that the new E makes the old one look dated at all, I've analyzed them side by side enough in the flesh now to really think otherwise. But that's of course gonna be all opinionated. I will say when the 211 dropped, it really did make the 210 look ancient IMO.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Originally Posted by K-A
I guess we all have our opinions, and if you're fond of the C, indeed the E will be easier to swallow. I personally think the C's interior beyond unacceptable and pretty horrible..

I do disagree that the new E makes the old one look dated at all, I've analyzed them side by side enough in the flesh now to really think otherwise. But that's of course gonna be all opinionated. I will say when the 211 dropped, it really did make the 210 look ancient IMO.
Yes this is all true. I will say I'm pretty miffed at Benz for going the cheap route with the C class, enough so that I won't be going back to it anytime soon. They have improved the option list and offer the wood trim now in Sport models which would help, but the awful seats and the sticker price increase have moved me more towards the GLK. When I'm ready to let the R go, the new E will be at the top of my list though.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:41 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Yes this is all true. I will say I'm pretty miffed at Benz for going the cheap route with the C class, enough so that I won't be going back to it anytime soon. They have improved the option list and offer the wood trim now in Sport models which would help, but the awful seats and the sticker price increase have moved me more towards the GLK. When I'm ready to let the R go, the new E will be at the top of my list though.
Agreed on the C. I think it looks pretty decent on the outside, not my favorite Benz design ever but I think it's executed better than the W212 personally, but that interior just is beyond words to me. Every time I get one as a Loaner and have anyone in it, they always say the same thing: "This is a Benz? WTF happened to them?".

Thankfully the W212 kept the interior more in line with the E's of past in terms of luxury and refinement (as opposed to the W204 being a big step down in that regard from the W203), but me being the nit-picky fellow that I am, I do see some cost cutting and downgrades here and there. It still has points that some will like over the W211, so all in all I'd say it almost balances out, with the W211 looking like more $$ went into the execution, personally. Also, to note, if you really look at the details on the W211 pre and post face-lifts, you'll see a bit of cost cutting and small downgrades here and there on the materials in areas on the face-lift.

Last edited by K-A; 06-05-2009 at 01:45 AM.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:33 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Oh, while I'm at the nit-picky "weird stuff not everyone would notice" stuff in this Thread, I forgot to add, IMO the buttons on the Radio knobs aren't as strong and quality feeling as the W211's unit. Although I will say, the buttons around the 211's Navi/Radio screen are some of my favourite in any car I've been in, both in the elegant shapes and design, and in the strong, and thick quality feel when pushing them.

Again, little stuff not everyone would notice, but I figure I'll jumble 'em here in this Thread
Old 06-05-2009, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
I didn't notice the radio buttons myself, coming from a C class they are nearly identical. One knock I did find was the removal of the climate control turn knobs in favor of push buttons and a digital display. I would rather have the turn knobs. I'm also not thrilled with the trunk treatment, but over all I was impressed with the new design. I'm thinking for owners that already own a C or GLK this E class will be a big hit, but for other model owners its going to take some time for them to get used to this new direction.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:24 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

I didn't notice the radio buttons myself, coming from a C class they are nearly identical. One knock I did find was the removal of the climate control turn knobs in favor of push buttons and a digital display. I would rather have the turn knobs. I'm also not thrilled with the trunk treatment, but over all I was impressed with the new design. I'm thinking for owners that already own a C or GLK this E class will be a big hit, but for other model owners its going to take some time for them to get used to this new direction.
True. I think M-B is moving in a new direction, and those who have applauded the W204 are right at the target point for the new generation.

I personally, am thinking of looking at other models if/when I decide to get another Luxury car, BMW, the XF, etc. As all of them are starting to speak my personal language more IMO. I dunno, I've always loved M-B though.

Yeah, the Radio Controls weren't all so bad or anything, but they are like the C's (whole unit is actually), and that lost points with me, as the 211's just seems to have more attention to detail and R&R invested in those little things. The 212 seems to not care about that and go for the big picture.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
Originally Posted by K-A
Sorry this will be long and random but in a rush and going off of random thoughts that come up::

I must say my opinions have been confirmed. I'm very unimpressed with the look. I actually think in pictures it looks a bit better, as up close, the dynamic grille area looks and feels more plasticy then the pictures would allude. It does look pretty "M-B" from some angels, but at the same time to me, even in person, it has add a Japanese-y type of "durable" vibe added.

I will say the "Ponton" fender hump looks more subdued and not as goofy in person, you almost don't notice it.

It was parked right next to an '09 211 so I got a good idea of the differences, and I will say this new one does not make the 211 look dated one bit, which is not a good thing for a new model IMO. If anything personally I'd think someone who had never seen either would find the 212's boxy look to be a bit older. The 211 looked so much classier and more elegant and sporty next to it.

The interior was nice, more masculine and less elegant and graceful than the 211's, however it is nice. I will say materials are about on par, definitely not more quality, and not less than the 211's. The door arm rests are a cheaper hard rubbery-plastic which sucks as I love the 211's softer more plush material. Also I don't like the new steering wheel design, but the material is good.

The interior door design to me personally is better on the 211, as although the 212 has a bigger slab of wood, the 211's has a nicer shape to it, and wraps around the seat controls. The 212's has a cheaper and colder plastic area around the seat controls, and the shapes of all the materials and buttons: door handle, seat controls, window switches, etc. all seem a bit less "fashion-y" and a bit more industrial/cold.

The ambient lights are cool, but you lose the 211's really nice rounded upper light housings with the halo ambients. Also the upper light housings on the 212 is a more traditional square look, losing the 211's more elegant rounder design.

The A/C vents aren't a real aluminum, instead a seemingly silver painted slightly flimsy-ish plastic.

The headlights I don't like, I can't get over how NON harmonized and how they are in no coherency with each other, the inner light just bends in and doesn't seem to line up at all with the outer one, pretty sloppy IMO.

The lower dash console where the A/C knobs reside (nicer A/C buttons than the 211) is a bit disconcerting, kind of cold and the sudden jarring size changes (not cascading like the 211) with the rubber-y-plastic material around it isn't too fashionable.

The plastic that goes under the center console and meets with the carpet under the front seats gives off a cheaper vibe than the 211's all carpeting around the same area, and it lacks the simple yet elegant chrome lining that the 211 has to break up the plastic (if that makes sense).

The interior feels "larger" and more imposing....But not in a bad way, it feels and looks very solid and sturdy, comfy and confident. Again I feel the 211 has a softer, more classic/classy and elegant vibe, but the 212 isn't going for that, it feels more "business" if that makes more sense.

I HATE the lack of a center shifter.

On the outside, where the rear doors cutline meets the ponton fender, it looks really bad from the back-side angle, as you can see the rear doors lines are all bumpy, it looks like they've been dented or something (again this might not make sense but I dunno how to really explain it). The 211's door cutlines and overall shape look much prettier, the 212's are a bit stubbier seeming.

IMO the windows are a bit too narrow, the inside of the 211 has a more airy and open vibe. The rear seems to have some more room than the 211 though, and longer rear doors/windows.

All in all it just seemed blah, and it looked pretty bloated for an M-B, it just doesn't have as relaxed a look as I've come to expect from M-B's, seems busy, boring, ho-hum, dynamic and aggressively lined all at the same time, kind of confused. The car isn't going for graceful or smooth like the 211, and they definitely nailed it in that regard.

The interior B-Pillar isn't as long and slender as the 211, it's a lot stubbier and shorter, I personally don't think it looks as nice and elegant again. Also the plastic linings on the inside of the doors are so big they slightly stick out of the B-Pillar.

And yes, the rear is REALLY that bad, just don't know what M-B was thinking with that.

Can't think of any other little weird personal opinions that I noticed which Mag Reviews wouldn't focus on or point out, but those are my weird and random OCD notes.....

These are all mostly prefferance based of course, what I don't like about the 212 I could see some people liking. It will certainly be the most polarizing E Class in history perhaps.
The best color is that new deep dark copper with stardust finish. I have seen this new color in the GLK 350. Beautiful.

This is one MB that does not look good in Brilliant Silver.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:11 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

I know that is weird. To me M-B's have always looked best in Silver, this one I have yet to see impress in Silver as much as it does in even White, etc. I think Silver looks best on sleek cars, which is why the more current M-B's have always looked so stealthy with it, cars like the W212 look better in bolder, or even simpler colors I think.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:13 PM

2010 Charcoal Grey E350 Coupe
Is it me,or do the rims actually look like 14 or 15 inchers without the slightest option to go larger. Nah,so far it's not for me...
Old 06-07-2009, 10:11 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

The car looks kinda bloated in a way IMO, so the OEM rims usually look REALLY small on it. The salesman I was talking to was saying that as well. The AMG Sport Package wheels fill it up a bit better, but still don't have much presence, and IMO are the ugliest AMG wheels yet, I couldn't go without AMG 5-Spokes personally.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jay_mark_paul
I actually really liked the coupe in person. I would describe it like looking like the older brother of a clk but on testosterone. I actually wished they would have copied more of the curves on the coupe and replicated them on the sedan. As for the sedans interior I actually did like the re-design. It had BMWish feel where I think the designers went for a very simple, uncomplicated, open look.

I'm not sure if others have mentioned this but what did bother me was copied Audi fog lighting. The neon lighting to me is Audi's new "trademark", not Mercedes. Just as the angel eyes are to BMW. I expect Mercedes to innovate not replicate!!!!!!!
I didn't like that they copied the LED fog lights but worst is they copied BMW's interior which everyone agrees has the worst interior in the luxury sedan segment. Merc. has also copied Lexus headlights in this sedan, copied BMW 5 series eyebrow headlights in the c-class and also somewhat copied Cadillac edgy lines in the E-class and GLK.
I definitely think Audi is now the design leader in interior and exterior shape and quality. That is the reason I think they are gaining market share in the luxury segment.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by K-A
I know that is weird. To me M-B's have always looked best in Silver, this one I have yet to see impress in Silver as much as it does in even White, etc. I think Silver looks best on sleek cars, which is why the more current M-B's have always looked so stealthy with it, cars like the W212 look better in bolder, or even simpler colors I think.
Silver looks good on cars with flowing lines like a Porsche 911 and the W211 because the sun will highlight the curves on the car, but on the edgy designs like the W212, C-class and CTS the car just looks old with silver because the sun will not highlight the curves. That is the reason they look much better in colors like white because the white color actually soften the edges somewhat.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:51 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Once again, I agree with you spot on Rieger

To note, I went to my Local Dealer to get something for my car today, asked them how their E preview event went, and you can just tell, all the employees (who had seen it for the first time BTW), were really scared about the peoples reaction, and their own reaction to the Sedan. Some have even admitted they don't think they'll sell well, and were just harping on aspects of it, some noted "it has Japanese lines", etc.

I said straight up, "if you guys can't even spin it and show enthusiasm, the car is truly in trouble", lol.

The Coupe does seem to get many more sighs of relief though, I personally can't get myself to like it as much as I want to, but think it's an improvement over the CLK.

Either way, as history has shown, if it has a Star on the hood, people will buy it, most M-B buyers aren't car enthusiasts who care or study lines, etc. They just have the money to spend, and want the newest, Warrantied, trouble free M-B they can buy. Even if the W212 goes over horribly in the public stylistically, I think the history and symbol of the E-Class is so strong and imbedded in peoples brains, it would take more than 1 muted model generation to tarnish peoples perception of the brand/models image. Also, making it $5K cheaper than the W211 was the smartest thing M-B has done in a while.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
I'm just the opposite, I think the sedan looks better than the coupe. I feel they are making a big mistake by taking the same basic design and just removing two doors. The CLK, while based on the C class, was supposed to be a E class coupe and it had a style of its own taking elements from the C and E. This new E class coupe looks basically the same as the sedan, minus the rear doors, rear bench seat, and a subtle change in the dash. I realize they are trying to bring it more upscale than the current CLK because a C class based coupe is due in 2011 or 12, but it seems they have fell into the Camry/Accord coupe syndrome of years past by taking a four door and removing two doors and we know how well that worked out, both the Camry and Accord coupes now share very little with their four door counter part.

By the way, for those complaining about the l.e.d. lights in the front, those appear to be part of the lighting package/p2 group. Looks like the standard treatment will be either one fog light or maybe two? The preview pics show two fog lights, which is quite strange (two could be euro only option)

Last edited by chilledbenz; 06-09-2009 at 02:48 AM.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Originally Posted by rieger
I didn't like that they copied the LED fog lights but worst is they copied BMW's interior which everyone agrees has the worst interior in the luxury sedan segment. Merc. has also copied Lexus headlights in this sedan, copied BMW 5 series eyebrow headlights in the c-class and also somewhat copied Cadillac edgy lines in the E-class and GLK.
I definitely think Audi is now the design leader in interior and exterior shape and quality. That is the reason I think they are gaining market share in the luxury segment.

My god man are you clueless. Cadillac? Lexus headlights? Do you not know what an W210 and W211 E-Class are?

M
Old 06-09-2009, 05:02 PM

300 C Sedan Class
Be among the first to see the 2010 E-Class

For one night only, at Mercedes-Benz of Buckhead, you will have an exclusive opportunity to discover the all-new E-Class.

Be among the first to get acquainted with the visionary design of this sportier, more energetic 2010 E-Class Sedan.

The perfect balance of engineering, cutting-edge technology and class-leading safety features, this E-Class Sedan is a radiant manifestation of the heart and soul of Mercedes-Benz.

When: June 15th

Where: Mercedes-Benz of Buckhead
2799 Piedmont Road, NE
Atlanta, GA. 30305
(404)846-3500

What: Hors d’oeuvres and an exclusive E-class event

How: For existing customers; please expect an invitation to this exclusive preview.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Germancar1
My god man are you clueless. Cadillac? Lexus headlights? Do you not know what an W210 and W211 E-Class are?

M
What about the W210 genius?
Old 06-10-2009, 03:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

What about the W210 genius?

The front end design of the new W212 is just an evolution of 4-eyed look that started with the W210. Thats what.

The problem is that once Lexus debuted their take on this with the 1998 and all the Korean junk started aping the look, people think that Mercedes has now copied something. You've got is bass-ackwards.

M
Old 06-10-2009, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Germancar1
The front end design of the new W212 is just an evolution of 4-eyed look that started with the W210. Thats what.

The problem is that once Lexus debuted their take on this with the 1998 and all the Korean junk started aping the look, people think that Mercedes has now copied something. You've got is bass-ackwards.

M
First off genius the W210 did not start the 4 eyed look. If you think it was then you my friend are the clueless one. I believe Lexus though was the first to have the 4 eyed square look though which the E-Class has now copied somewhat. So before you start your MB is the best blah blah blah and everyone is copying MB cr@p why don't you broaden your knowledge beyond MB and look at how MB has copied other cars recently in design.
The only area that I can say that MB is a true leader is in the Technology and Safety center.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:27 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

I actually personally do think the new E looks like a sort of mash-up in ways of quite a few cars out there right now, and doesn't have the unique look that M-B's of past had. A lot of people seem to have a similar opinion (people at the Dealer saying it had Japanese lines, etc.). I think they botched the headlight design too, they seemed to want to stick with the "4-eyes", but made them awkwardly non-proportional and overly overly fussy. When I stare at the cars front, my eyes can't make sense of the busy front end and headlights.

After a few or so years when people get used to it, I think it won't get that style of criticism as much as it will "own" the look to us naturally, as we'll be used to identifying it with its look.

Also, I do think M-B has been taking influence from other car makers in their recent designs more than I've ever remembered in the past. Also, to note, ever since Bangle mangled the BMW's, a lot of Japanese cars, etc. haven't been copying the Benz look as much as they used to, more have been ripping off the BMW look to shreds, and M-B seems to be kind of in a middle ground between sticking with what they've done, harkening the past, and following the trends of the other car-makers. In the early 2000's, everything they released was an instant stylistic hit and was copied by other makes, then the Bangle Bimmers created such a gimmick and stir, car makers jumped to that. I don't like the CLS at all personally, but I don't think M-B has created a classic-M-B-like and well home-run-like executed design since the CLS came out.... Which still carries the makes former design language. I think the S is okay but not perfect and flawless, and I just don't care for the C too much, and think it's a departure in many ways from the "classic" M-B idea. It seems M-B is in a sort of desperate place, being passed up by BMW in recent years in the Sales wars, and are trying to figure out which balance to go with in getting them back to where they were.

In the engineering department though, M-B is fortunately showing they are ahead of the game as always. The next decade is going to be interesting for them. I personally hope we see a new designer sometime soon, or I don't think I'll like what they'll be putting out in the next generations. Especially since BMW's new look and design direction is already gaining a lot more positive feedback than the W212 is.... Which means it ain't gonna be pretty in the Sales wars come 2011.

....On a completely unrelated note: WTF is up with all of M-B's SUVS? Sooner or later they're probably gonna release a Pickup Truck.

Last edited by K-A; 06-10-2009 at 10:38 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:33 PM

Mercedes C230 SS Komp
You know when my service advisor called me to tell me the new E-class was there at the dealership for a staff training session and invited me down to see it I felt like a kid at Christmas. After an hour or so looking the car over I sat back and watched the sales staff arrive for their orientation. I just wanted to just observe their body language and see if I was off on my own conclusion. As they say non verbal communication says it all!!! (Note to Mercedes, do not show a new vehicles launch to staff with potential customers looking in!!!!!!!!)

Road and Track’s June’s 2009 has a small review on the new 2010 E550. Looks like we are not alone on the constructive criticism of the redesign. Here is what they had to say:

“Mercedes hasn’t exactly blazed its own design trail by squaring off the the headlamps in a manner reminiscent of the Lexas GS and fitting Audi-like LED light bars in the lower fasia. Also, the rear of the Mercedes is almost indistinguishable from other sedans in its segment”.

But the writer did give the car a favorable review due to its new advanced technologies. He felt all the bells and whistles would be a hedge over the redesign. They felt strong enough that the new electronics would raise the bar for the entire executive sedan segment.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

First off genius the W210 did not start the 4 eyed look. If you think it was then you my friend are the clueless one. I believe Lexus though was the first to have the 4 eyed square look though which the E-Class has now copied somewhat. So before you start your MB is the best blah blah blah and everyone is copying MB cr@p why don't you broaden your knowledge beyond MB and look at how MB has copied other cars recently in design.
The only area that I can say that MB is a true leader is in the Technology and Safety center.

See thats the problem with every lexus fanatic on the net, they don't have a clue as to what they're talking about. I said four eyed look don't care if its me square or round...do you not know what evolution means?

Read it slowly......the W210 (with the four-eye'd theme) came out for the 1996 model year, the first GS with a similar theme came out for the 1998 model year.

The look Mercedes has had every since 1995 has evolved to what you see today. It was round then it went oval-like (W211) and now squared for the W212...ain't got squat to do with no tired **** Lexus.

Did I say Mercedes was best at anything? No. I'm talking about styling try to pay attention. Needing to point out that you don't think they're a leader is your problem.

M
Old 06-10-2009, 11:48 PM

06 C 350 2014 GLK350
I saw the cars today at Phoenix Motors and find them both to be classy looking. The coupe is out for my wife in that she finds wide, heavy coupe doors too much for to handle. We have owned two CLK's and the doors were always an irritation. The other thing that bothered me in the coupe was the lack of separate headrests. I felt like I was in an economy car.
The sedans look like they will be fine, elegant cars. I especially like the navigation display being up high and somewhat shielded by being set back. The leather seats in the 550 looked like real Mercedes seats and also felt good to sit on. The vinyl seats in the 350 sedans really turned me off just as the cheap looking vinyl quality has turned me off in the current C Class. I would have to order leather but even then I wouldn't be able to get the ventilated seats since they are only available in the 550's.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:09 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by MB-JIM
I saw the cars today at Phoenix Motors and find them both to be classy looking. The coupe is out for my wife in that she finds wide, heavy coupe doors too much for to handle. We have owned two CLK's and the doors were always an irritation. The other thing that bothered me in the coupe was the lack of separate headrests. I felt like I was in an economy car.
The sedans look like they will be fine, elegant cars. I especially like the navigation display being up high and somewhat shielded by being set back. The leather seats in the 550 looked like real Mercedes seats and also felt good to sit on. The vinyl seats in the 350 sedans really turned me off just as the cheap looking vinyl quality has turned me off in the current C Class. I would have to order leather but even then I wouldn't be able to get the ventilated seats since they are only available in the 550's.
Is it me or is the M-B Tex on the on the W212 harder and a bit cheaper feeling (i.e like the W204's) than the past models? Also, I might be crazy, but it seemed like the M-B Tex W212's don't have the center of the front seats (where you sit) all Leather like on the W211's?).

Originally Posted by jay_mark_paul
You know when my service advisor called me to tell me the new E-class was there at the dealership for a staff training session and invited me down to see it I felt like a kid at Christmas. After an hour or so looking the car over I sat back and watched the sales staff arrive for their orientation. I just wanted to just observe their body language and see if I was off on my own conclusion. As they say non verbal communication says it all!!! (Note to Mercedes, do not show a new vehicles launch to staff with potential customers looking in!!!!!!!!)

Road and Track’s June’s 2009 has a small review on the new 2010 E550. Looks like we are not alone on the constructive criticism of the redesign. Here is what they had to say:

“Mercedes hasn’t exactly blazed its own design trail by squaring off the the headlamps in a manner reminiscent of the Lexas GS and fitting Audi-like LED light bars in the lower fasia. Also, the rear of the Mercedes is almost indistinguishable from other sedans in its segment”.

But the writer did give the car a favorable review due to its new advanced technologies. He felt all the bells and whistles would be a hedge over the redesign. They felt strong enough that the new electronics would raise the bar for the entire executive sedan segment.
I agree and observed similarities in people/staffers reactions to the car when they saw it at both Dealerships I saw it at.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Finally saw and check 'em out today!!