Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 02:07 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Finally saw and check 'em out today!!

Sorry this will be long and random but in a rush and going off of random thoughts that come up::

I must say my opinions have been confirmed. I'm very unimpressed with the look. I actually think in pictures it looks a bit better, as up close, the dynamic grille area looks and feels more plasticy then the pictures would allude. It does look pretty "M-B" from some angels, but at the same time to me, even in person, it has add a Japanese-y type of "durable" vibe added.

I will say the "Ponton" fender hump looks more subdued and not as goofy in person, you almost don't notice it.

It was parked right next to an '09 211 so I got a good idea of the differences, and I will say this new one does not make the 211 look dated one bit, which is not a good thing for a new model IMO. If anything personally I'd think someone who had never seen either would find the 212's boxy look to be a bit older. The 211 looked so much classier and more elegant and sporty next to it.

The interior was nice, more masculine and less elegant and graceful than the 211's, however it is nice. I will say materials are about on par, definitely not more quality, and not less than the 211's. The door arm rests are a cheaper hard rubbery-plastic which sucks as I love the 211's softer more plush material. Also I don't like the new steering wheel design, but the material is good.

The interior door design to me personally is better on the 211, as although the 212 has a bigger slab of wood, the 211's has a nicer shape to it, and wraps around the seat controls. The 212's has a cheaper and colder plastic area around the seat controls, and the shapes of all the materials and buttons: door handle, seat controls, window switches, etc. all seem a bit less "fashion-y" and a bit more industrial/cold.

The ambient lights are cool, but you lose the 211's really nice rounded upper light housings with the halo ambients. Also the upper light housings on the 212 is a more traditional square look, losing the 211's more elegant rounder design.

The A/C vents aren't a real aluminum, instead a seemingly silver painted slightly flimsy-ish plastic.

The headlights I don't like, I can't get over how NON harmonized and how they are in no coherency with each other, the inner light just bends in and doesn't seem to line up at all with the outer one, pretty sloppy IMO.

The lower dash console where the A/C knobs reside (nicer A/C buttons than the 211) is a bit disconcerting, kind of cold and the sudden jarring size changes (not cascading like the 211) with the rubber-y-plastic material around it isn't too fashionable.

The plastic that goes under the center console and meets with the carpet under the front seats gives off a cheaper vibe than the 211's all carpeting around the same area, and it lacks the simple yet elegant chrome lining that the 211 has to break up the plastic (if that makes sense).

The interior feels "larger" and more imposing....But not in a bad way, it feels and looks very solid and sturdy, comfy and confident. Again I feel the 211 has a softer, more classic/classy and elegant vibe, but the 212 isn't going for that, it feels more "business" if that makes more sense.

I HATE the lack of a center shifter.

On the outside, where the rear doors cutline meets the ponton fender, it looks really bad from the back-side angle, as you can see the rear doors lines are all bumpy, it looks like they've been dented or something (again this might not make sense but I dunno how to really explain it). The 211's door cutlines and overall shape look much prettier, the 212's are a bit stubbier seeming.

IMO the windows are a bit too narrow, the inside of the 211 has a more airy and open vibe. The rear seems to have some more room than the 211 though, and longer rear doors/windows.

All in all it just seemed blah, and it looked pretty bloated for an M-B, it just doesn't have as relaxed a look as I've come to expect from M-B's, seems busy, boring, ho-hum, dynamic and aggressively lined all at the same time, kind of confused. The car isn't going for graceful or smooth like the 211, and they definitely nailed it in that regard.

The interior B-Pillar isn't as long and slender as the 211, it's a lot stubbier and shorter, I personally don't think it looks as nice and elegant again. Also the plastic linings on the inside of the doors are so big they slightly stick out of the B-Pillar.

And yes, the rear is REALLY that bad, just don't know what M-B was thinking with that.

Can't think of any other little weird personal opinions that I noticed which Mag Reviews wouldn't focus on or point out, but those are my weird and random OCD notes.....

These are all mostly prefferance based of course, what I don't like about the 212 I could see some people liking. It will certainly be the most polarizing E Class in history perhaps.

Last edited by K-A; 05-17-2009 at 03:40 AM.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 E 350 4matic wagon; '05 E 500 4matic sedan; '09 S550 4matic
Looks like from your review not one single improvement was made to the new model. That has to be a first. Current 211 owners should feel good they did not wait and get stuck with this machine.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:46 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Well all the technological and safety stuff has definitely been approved, rigidity, handling apparently. However I have yet to hear anyone who's driven one say it's a "night and day" improvement from the 211, more-so similar but naturally evolved and advanced.

But yeah, aesthetically, fit & finish, materials, design, etc. I'd definitely say I personally see no improvement on an overall scale.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:37 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Well on the I-15 today I saw two W212 Sedans on a truck with a bunch of '09 CLK's. It was cool to see them, but wow, even more unimpressed when seeing them on a road (well not exactly "on" the road) next to a bunch of other cars. That rear is god awful, I swear when I was coming up to the truck I thought "is that a Genesis on the 2nd story of that bed"? (I actually think the Genesis' rear and taillights are more dynamic). The rear looks cheap, and the car looks really uptight, especially compared to the sleeker and smoother CLK's next to it (not saying I'm much of a fan of the CLK's either).

I'm on a mission to try and convince myself to like the E-Coupe though as it seems more feasible, hopefully it will "grow on me" (a statement which has never made sense nor worked with me). If I'm gonna stay with M-B in the future it's either gotta be an E-Coupe or a used W221 S-Class which I wish I loved more than I do as well.

I dunno, with BMW's new 7 being the nicest new car coming out IMO, if the new 5 plays off of its styling it looks like that's where my heart might land....

Last edited by K-A; 05-18-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E550 (W212) 2010
Well the question is why are you on the mission to make yourself like the car?

If you are content with your current W211 then you should stay with it. After all it is MB. It will last. Won't it?

If this is a status question for you...then by all means you should graduate to an S class.

New front of the new 7 series look even more piggish than it used to....in my humble opinion.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 E250 BT 4M
Originally Posted by K-A
I dunno, with BMW's new 7 being the nicest new car coming out IMO, if the new 5 plays off of its styling it looks like that's where my heart might land....
If your impressions are shared by other likely W212 purchasers, I suspect that you will not be alone in holding back for the new 5er.
What I find most disturbing about your impressions is your description of the general cheapening of the W212 interior. One of the great practical features of the W211 that I find very useful is the the fold down rear seats - they actually fold flat ! My understanding is that the W212 rear seat cushion is fixed in place and only the rear seat back folds down, but NOT nearly flat. Clearly, this is a cost saving change with many parts eliminated !
Perhaps similar changes have been adopted in other parts of the W212 ?
Old 05-18-2009, 10:38 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by chekaldin
Well the question is why are you on the mission to make yourself like the car?

If you are content with your current W211 then you should stay with it. After all it is MB. It will last. Won't it?

If this is a status question for you...then by all means you should graduate to an S class.

New front of the new 7 series look even more piggish than it used to....in my humble opinion.
My answer to your first question is, I guess I just don't like this car that much, but would wish that I can remain enthusiastic about the new models M-B is putting out as I've always loved the brand.

But , no you're absolutely right, I love my car and have no desire to sell it, and status isn't important to me (I love the status an M-B has, but I'm not in it for the show off-y purpose, I just like the respect it commands).

I should have been more clear, i.e if in a couple years or so I decide to trade my car, or more likely, purchase a new one to go along with it, it looks like the new generation of BMW's may be where my heart will be (which kind of sucks as I've always loved M-B's).

Last edited by K-A; 05-18-2009 at 10:51 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:49 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by DerekACS
If your impressions are shared by other likely W212 purchasers, I suspect that you will not be alone in holding back for the new 5er.
What I find most disturbing about your impressions is your description of the general cheapening of the W212 interior. One of the great practical features of the W211 that I find very useful is the the fold down rear seats - they actually fold flat ! My understanding is that the W212 rear seat cushion is fixed in place and only the rear seat back folds down, but NOT nearly flat. Clearly, this is a cost saving change with many parts eliminated !
Perhaps similar changes have been adopted in other parts of the W212 ?
Yeah agreed on the 5-er, to me, the new 7 Series looks more like what a natural evolution of the 211 should have been in a sense, hah.... Not literally of course, but it has the sleek, understated yet sharp and elegant look, much like the 211.

To be fair, the interior of the 212 is VERY different, and I can see (and have seen) people have COMPLETE opposite opinions than others on it in regards to its comparison with the 211.

I will say there's no way the materials are necessarily better all around (again some areas might be better but there are worse).

I do like the new interior, but it doesn't compare to the sensuality and design of the swooping 211's IMO, however it has more of a sturdy, "big" look to it which some will like.

I do think there seems to be more plastic spread throughout, and the shapes of different pieces aren't as attractive IMO, most notably in the door area where the dials/controls and arm rest trim are/is (no comparison there IMO). But I'd say many people will like it nonetheless.

Last edited by K-A; 05-18-2009 at 10:54 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Rear folding seats

The rear folding seats of the new W212, while still optional, do in fact fold flat. Unlike the W211, this does not require the seat bottom to be folded forward. From what I can tell from my dealer show, the hinge point is slightly higher allowing the seat to fold on a more level plane with the seat bottom. This seems to make more sense as I have from time to time had trouble getting the seat bottom on my 211 with folding seats to fully lock in place. Just my 2 cents but it seats this way makes more sense. Also, I noticed the 212 has a pass through which comes along with the split seats. I don't think my car has this either with the split-folding seats.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
Ya, the interior is what is turning me off. Doesn't look as classy as the previous E and to the upper end S and CL.

I was even looking at a SL63 the other day at Keyes European and the interior turned me off. It was so plain, no carbon fiber accents. I even didn't like the interior of SL when they first came out. My friend's dad has a SL500 Silver Arrow Edition (R129). That thing is beautiful. The interior is really nice too with all the nice wood and design. Honestly in regards to interior, I think the S and CL will be the only MBs left with a nice interior once the CLS gets redesigned (if they don't cut the model, you never know these days ), it will have pretty much the same interior as the 212 E.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:18 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Yeah, I've said it many times, but as you see some of these natural progressions with M-B's products, if you look closely, there have been many cost-savings regressions in the small areas that most people won't notice.... Those happen to be some of the areas that used to make M-B shine the most to me.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:14 PM

Mercedes C230 SS Komp
K-A, I have to agree with you. I just had a chance to see both the coupe and sedan at Long Beach dealership right now. I tried to hold my emotional response in check to pictures I have seen and wait until I got a chance to see them in person. Wow was I disappointed with the sedan, but the coupe does look good. I can't seem to understand why the designers went in the direction they did...If you covered the MB badge up, the sedan could easily pass for a Toyota/Honda design. It was very disappointing for me as this was the model I wanted to trade up into......Not now!

Jay
Old 05-21-2009, 05:18 PM

W204 C220 CDI
test
Old 05-21-2009, 08:41 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by jay_mark_paul
K-A, I have to agree with you. I just had a chance to see both the coupe and sedan at Long Beach dealership right now. I tried to hold my emotional response in check to pictures I have seen and wait until I got a chance to see them in person. Wow was I disappointed with the sedan, but the coupe does look good. I can't seem to understand why the designers went in the direction they did...If you covered the MB badge up, the sedan could easily pass for a Toyota/Honda design. It was very disappointing for me as this was the model I wanted to trade up into......Not now!

Jay
Exactly, agreed completely

I just kept looking at the Sedan dismayed at how awful I thought it looked, considering what I'd expect from M-B. I think I might like the Coupe though, I need to see one in a nice color with the AMG Package and I'll know. I'm reaaallly hoping I like the Coupe, it's just too bad the interior is worse than the Sedans
Old 05-22-2009, 09:33 AM

07' CLK63 designo Graphite/Black; 07' E350 Sport White/Cashmere
Originally Posted by silberrosa
The rear folding seats of the new W212, while still optional, do in fact fold flat. Unlike the W211, this does not require the seat bottom to be folded forward. From what I can tell from my dealer show, the hinge point is slightly higher allowing the seat to fold on a more level plane with the seat bottom. This seems to make more sense as I have from time to time had trouble getting the seat bottom on my 211 with folding seats to fully lock in place. Just my 2 cents but it seats this way makes more sense. Also, I noticed the 212 has a pass through which comes along with the split seats. I don't think my car has this either with the split-folding seats.
The 2 sedans I saw last night had folding down rear seats. Yes the hinge point is higher. It appeared to me not completely flat, but very very close (1"-11/2").
Old 05-22-2009, 06:01 PM

Mercedes C230 SS Komp
Originally Posted by K-A
Exactly, agreed completely

I just kept looking at the Sedan dismayed at how awful I thought it looked, considering what I'd expect from M-B. I think I might like the Coupe though, I need to see one in a nice color with the AMG Package and I'll know. I'm reaaallly hoping I like the Coupe, it's just too bad the interior is worse than the Sedans
I actually really liked the coupe in person. I would describe it like looking like the older brother of a clk but on testosterone. I actually wished they would have copied more of the curves on the coupe and replicated them on the sedan. As for the sedans interior I actually did like the re-design. It had BMWish feel where I think the designers went for a very simple, uncomplicated, open look.

I'm not sure if others have mentioned this but what did bother me was copied Audi fog lighting. The neon lighting to me is Audi's new "trademark", not Mercedes. Just as the angel eyes are to BMW. I expect Mercedes to innovate not replicate!!!!!!!
Old 05-22-2009, 06:44 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by jay_mark_paul
I actually really liked the coupe in person. I would describe it like looking like the older brother of a clk but on testosterone. I actually wished they would have copied more of the curves on the coupe and replicated them on the sedan. As for the sedans interior I actually did like the re-design. It had BMWish feel where I think the designers went for a very simple, uncomplicated, open look.

I'm not sure if others have mentioned this but what did bother me was copied Audi fog lighting. The neon lighting to me is Audi's new "trademark", not Mercedes. Just as the angel eyes are to BMW. I expect Mercedes to innovate not replicate!!!!!!!
Yeah, unfortunately this car is full of M-B "copying" ideas off of other car-makers it seems to me. L.E.D fogs, and the I-Drive/interior design from BMW. I do think in traditional fashion, M-B still used their own better materials in said interior (over BMW's) though IMO.

Yeah, I'm getting a bit excited about the Coupe, I didn't get a great look at it as they had it loaded in the truck when I was there. I hope I like it a lot in person. I just don't like that interior in it, which is kind of a setback to me.... I hate the W204's interior, so I hope the E-Coupe doesn't carry over anything from that....
Old 05-25-2009, 02:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
It looks like MB will lose leadership in mid size luxury sedan. New 5 series look much more appealing with classy traditional BMW style, incredible performance, and outstanding luxury

New 5 series
Old 05-25-2009, 04:51 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
Originally Posted by Dema
It looks like MB will lose leadership in mid size luxury sedan. New 5 series look much more appealing with classy traditional BMW style, incredible performance, and outstanding luxury

New 5 series
The 5-Series GT looks like ****.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:57 PM

W204 2008 C350
Dema, the link opens up an article about the 5 Series Gran Turismo, which is more of a crossover vehicle, rather than a mid-size sedan. I haven't seen official photos of the new 5 series sedan, if you have, please post a link so we can compare apples to apples.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:21 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by AsianML
The 5-Series GT looks like ****.
I agree, WTF is BMW thinking with that?

However, if some of those lines carry over to the properly proportioned and shaped F10 5'er sedan (which they will), I will say it will truly be what an evolution should be.... Much more refined, cleaned up, and more organic and shapely than the outgoing model. I do have my hopes up for the F10 5-Series. I just hope BMW do something about their interiors.... Since M-B is copying them now in design, especially with the W212's, but executing much more plushly and refined, as M-B has historically done over BMW, I hope BMW steps it up a notch inside.

In 2010 my personal pick for best/nicest Luxury Sedan is the Jag XF. In 2011 I'm thinking the 5-Series just might strike a big blow to its competitors.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:58 PM

2014 MB E550A
Wow

You really need to stop. There are more important things in life than the new E-Class. You reply to every thread. Get over it.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:06 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by willmatt85
You really need to stop. There are more important things in life than the new E-Class. You reply to every thread. Get over it.
There are more important things in life than the new E-Class?! Maan, I wish I knew that before I quit my job and gave up my loved ones for the ability to dedicate countless hours to stating my views on it over the Web.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by K-A
There are more important things in life than the new E-Class?! Maan, I wish I knew that before I quit my job and gave up my loved ones for the ability to dedicate countless hours to stating my views on it over the Web.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:36 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

I just want to add I checked out some more at a Dealership recently. A couple things I didn't note: The A-Pillar material is that of the C-Class, i.e very rough and cheap/sandpaper feeling (unlike the fuzzy, classier material on the pre-F.L 211 or even post F.L 211), also the roof is a rougher material than in the W211. And something that really caught me off guard is the thick stripping where the A-Pillar meets the front doors (inside) is not a nice soft cloth anymore, now it's a tougher rubber-y material.

Aside from that, the Salesman and Dealership staff all seemed pretty unpleased with the car (one even admitted he doesn't think it will sell well), but all liked the Coupe.

Just'a passin' it on.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Finally saw and check 'em out today!!