E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

I Just saw the new e350/550 coupes and 550 sedan at my local dealer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I Just saw the new e350/550 coupes and 550 sedan at my local dealer

I saw them about 2 weeks ago at my local dealer but never got a chance to stop by. Today I took a look. And let's just say, IM SOLD!!! on the e350/e550 coupes. Complete 180. There are some things I didn't like and things I loved. But truly the car comes down to personal preference. My preference in cars is more luxury than more sporty. You would never catch me lowering my car, sporting race tires and rims, and putting new louder exhaust on my ride. I like the aggressive luxury look.

Keeping my preference in mind, the front end of the w212 coupe is nearly perfect IMO. To be honest it looks nearly identical to the w211 just with squarish lights but the hood is more aggressive. Def. makes the oval lights of the w211 look outdated tho. The only thing I hate about it is the DUMB double oval fog lights. It's as if a teacher gave a preschool kid a pic of a w212 to color in, and the kid randomly draws some ovals. on it The foglights look completely out of place. But that wasn't a huge issue with me because they can get fixed pretty easily. The interior..WOW..looks sooo much spacious without the W211's center console. However you can tell the controls look cheap and plastic. And I still prefer the w211's screen display and evenly spaced out controls for the command. The w212's command looks too busy and crowded looking.

And now the back of the w212 coupe. This is what made me give the car such a low rating when viewing it in pics. After seeing it in person it is not as bad but it still needs a LOT of work. The "Hyundaish" taillights need to go. Strangely the e350 coupe has curved exhaust pipes and the e550 coupe has squarish ones. The curved ones look wayy better. The rear needs more aggressive lines to match the aggressive front end. Maybe a "black series" type wider rear might help. But I don't even think an rear amg bumper could help. The taillights have to go.

I had rated the car about 3/10 when I saw it in pics, after this I gave it a 8.5/10. If you prefer the "sportier" look than I could understand if you prefer the w211 over the w212. The w211 is more sleek and compact, the w212 is more "large and in charge"..lol. I was going to purchase the CLS but the e350 coupe def. has me pausing and thinking about it.

and oh yeah the w212 sedan doesn't work. I can't see anyone purchasing it. The car is bland from the front doors on back. You would have to chop off have the car and redesign it.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:19 PM

Received 151 Likes on 87 Posts
I saw the E350 sedan and I liked it alot. Them muscular sporty look makes the older E class very sissy looking. I hated the way the old E class with the round soft looking shape and bulbous rear end. It made it look cheap especially the interior quality. The new E350 takes me back in time to the older heavy looking benz style with good quality and style. This car will sell (sedan and coupe alike).
Old 06-29-2009, 02:11 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
2002 W210 M112 | 2021 X247 M270 | 2015 Audi SQ5 | 2015 VW Golf R
My family was at the dealership yesterday test driving both sedan and coupe. To be honest, I can't stand the Korean manufacture inspired taillights. I have to admit the front looks very good especially with the AMB bodykit on the sport sedan. The options and standard features on the sedan are much more superior than the ones on the coupe.

A few options that are in the sedan and are not available on the coupe.
-Blind spot assist on the side mirrors
-Night View Assist PLUS with pedestrian detection
-PARKTRONIC with Parking Guidance
-Drive-dynamic multicontour driver seat with massage
-orangeish leather and blackwood

However, we can't stand the look on the sedan (IMO, the C-pillar and on looks like an accord)and go for the coupe.