E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

What color would you choose?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'12 ML350
Have silver on my W211 and had an Oyster Grey Audi A8L before - some ready for a different hue next...

I'm leaning towards blue myself - and with the W212 E-class in serious contention, I noticed they have the long standing Capri Blue and a new Metallic Quartz Blue - but I've not seen that color in person yet.

I've always loved Black Opal, which is no longer offered; that color was a chameleon color where it looks dark blue under certain light conditions and black under others. I had ordered a W221 S550 4matic in Black Opal before taking the E63 from the dealer inventory two years ago - really wish the color remained on MBUSA's color palate.

For interior, I'll probably stick with black - wears better with rug rats and car seats.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Originally Posted by rkao
Have silver on my W211 and had an Oyster Grey Audi A8L before - some ready for a different hue next...

I'm leaning towards blue myself - and with the W212 E-class in serious contention, I noticed they have the long standing Capri Blue and a new Metallic Quartz Blue - but I've not seen that color in person yet.

I've always loved Black Opal, which is no longer offered; that color was a chameleon color where it looks dark blue under certain light conditions and black under others. I had ordered a W221 S550 4matic in Black Opal before taking the E63 from the dealer inventory two years ago - really wish the color remained on MBUSA's color palate.

For interior, I'll probably stick with black - wears better with rug rats and car seats.
That color more or less morphed into Metallic Majestic Black, which I have on my R class. It seems to be limited to the S,SL,CL, and R class though.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:02 AM

SLK200 Kompressor (2005)
colours, colours, colours

has anyone got a picture of the car in steel grey? how about Diamond White?

I have a deposit down on one but am yet to spec out the car (coupe). I'm thinking AMG package, panoramic roof and metallic paint. No other options... GFC is killing me

I'm not even sure if steel grey is available as a colour in Australia.

Went to a launch night the other week and they had the coupe in both the iridium silver and palladium. The iridium made the car look larger. A few of us there agreed that the palladium looks nicer in the day and the silver in the night... or was it the other way around? can't remember... too much wine with canapes

I'm really liking the Avantgarde alpaca grey two tone interior with the brushed aluminium. Although, the single tone Elegance interior in alpaca with burr walnut has been suggested...

thoughts on the matter would be much appreciated
Old 08-08-2009, 11:08 AM

my wife wild, but she loves every minute of it.
Anything -- except black or white. They have become the Benz cliché.

Originally Posted by GAM817

I have a deposit down on one but am yet to spec out the car (coupe). I'm thinking AMG package, panoramic roof and metallic paint. No other options... GFC is killing me

Went to a launch night the other week and they had the coupe in both the iridium silver and palladium. The iridium made the car look larger. A few of us there agreed that the palladium looks nicer in the day and the silver in the night... or was it the other way around? can't remember... too much wine with canapes

I'm really liking the Avantgarde alpaca grey two tone interior with the brushed aluminium. Although, the single tone Elegance interior in alpaca with burr walnut has been suggested...

Old 08-08-2009, 12:19 PM

acura tl
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by GAM817

Iridium Silver! I purchased my Coupe 2 weeks ago and got the Iridium Silver. We came down to White or Silver. Couldn't go wrong with either one, but we thought that the Silver was a richer looking color. We got the Black Interior. The Leather comes in Black, with White Stitching. We love that! I am not sure what options are offered Down Under, but isn't the Pano Roof standard in the Coupe? The only Options that I went for was the P1 Package and Metallic Paint. I also added as Dealer Options: Chrome Door Handle Inserts and Tinted Windows. The car looks absolutely great! Good Luck!
Old 08-08-2009, 01:16 PM

2010 E350 P1+P2+Distronic
I'm moving to MB for a daily driver after 25 years with BMWs; 3's, 5s, and a X5. The Munich crowd has not been too innovative with interior and feeatures lately. The dash on my 2004 X5 looks just like the one on my 1988 535.

Except for my first 1986 325es, which was an off-the-lot white, I have ordered bronze and green cars plus a red 330 rag top. My X5 is a 4.4L bronze and after much consternation I have settled on a 2010 E350 Indium Gray; changes from a green hue to a brown hue as the light angle changes. It's had to tell by looking at a small swatch of the color. I had to drive 500 miles around Texas to find all of the colors. I started with Pearl Beige with Almond interior but the car looks very monotone. Changed to Palladium and Almond and ended up with Indium and Almond. Already cut the deal and will have color firmed up on factory order on Monday.

DCist has a good analysis above.

My first post and I have learned much from reading the last few hours.

Thanks!
Old 08-08-2009, 10:04 PM

'12 ML350
I saw an E350 in Palladium Silver at my dealer's showroom on Friday - a very nice colour.

A 2010 GL450 in Steel Grey was sitting next to it and personally, I prefer the Steel Grey, seems to have more colour depth. Need to see them in outdoors natural lighting though - indoor showroom lighting with the incandescent and fluorescent lights can really alter the actual colour perception.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:56 AM

I saw an E350 in Palladium Silver at my dealer's showroom on Friday - a very nice colour.

A 2010 GL450 in Steel Grey was sitting next to it and personally, I prefer the Steel Grey, seems to have more colour depth. Need to see them in outdoors natural lighting though - indoor showroom lighting with the incandescent and fluorescent lights can really alter the actual colour perception.
The metallics are almost chameleon-like according to the light. I have Platinum Blue and it varies from a bright silver-blue to something almost dark. The color depth and gloss are the equal of the flat colors, such as red, white, or black. Here in SoFla, the heat-load difference between a black or red car versus one of the brighter metallics is dramatic. My wife joked that my S500 was like a crock-pot while sitting outside. I think the best way is to try to see the colors you are considering outside - side by side - if possible. Interior colors are another matter. Black gives you that 'carved from the same block' sense of unity, and its relatively easy to find black accessories. However, black is also HOT here in SoFla, and makes the interior seem smaller.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:04 AM
Almost a Member!

SLK300, GLK350, owned:C300, CLK 430, ML320 200D, 240D

I've seen both. The Capri Blue is a very nice dark blue and looks great especially in the sun. The Quartz Blue is a very light blue and looks awful on this car. Stay away from this color it will be a hard resale.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:38 PM

1998 Lexus ES300
If I were to order one I would probably get the Iridium Silver, with Black/Chestnut Brown Interior. I think only German cars make the deep brown leather interiors, looks so "Old Wealth" to me!!
Old 08-10-2009, 05:19 PM
QQQ

MY2001 C320
Cuprit brown on the front page of the Canadian brochure!!! Not available in US. US gets a green color that is N/A in Canada.

Tanzanite blue looks good. Or black / white. Probably not silver for a car with angular lines.

Last edited by QQQ; 08-11-2009 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:09 PM
QQQ

MY2001 C320
Originally Posted by harkgar
All my MB cars are and were metallic silver or gold but the W212 sedan looks best in metallic dark copper. I believe it is not available yet in North America but it is stunning! I shall post a photo soon.

The new E looks best in dark colors.
I think it is available in Canada called Cuprit Brown on the front page of the Canadian brochure. Not available in US.

Agree. The new copper color is stunning, particularly for one with angular lines. Fits well with a two-tone beige / mocha interior.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:57 PM

W212 E350
Originally Posted by QQQ
Cuprit brown on the front page of the Canadian brochure!!! Not available in US. US gets a green color that is N/A in Canada.

Tanzanite blue looks good. Or black / white. Probably not silver for a car with angular lines.
That brown/copper color is amazing. Really wish he had it in the States.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by akfd
If I were to order one I would probably get the Iridium Silver, with Black/Chestnut Brown Interior. I think only German cars make the deep brown leather interiors, looks so "Old Wealth" to me!!
+ 1

It reminds me of walking into a Tack Room.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E350 Sport 4Matic - P2 & Drivers Assist / 2010 C300 Sport 4Matic - P2 / 2013 Porsche Cayenne S
I really wish the cognac interior was offered in the US. Every time I see a picture of it I get all warm and fuzzy inside.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 E63
Originally Posted by sskam
Looks nice in blue
I came across the eBay ad with that car yesterday and thought it was hideous in that color!
Old 08-12-2009, 09:01 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
It's a color you'd grow tired of faaaast.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:37 PM

cls 500
my choice

Personally I found the Tenorite grey to look exceptionally good with the E class, thats why I ordered one in that color. My second choice was white, but any other color would look real nice with this car
Old 08-31-2009, 10:50 AM

nothing right now
Thumbs up

Not sure what it is called in the US but I LOVE Tanzanite blue. I have been cutting the pics out of car magazines (Car and Driver and Road and Track as I recall). Very rich looking!
I have never understood getting a car with a nice shape and having it in gray or silver. It is like having no colour. It is like taking a colour pic and running it through Photoshop to make it monochrome.
After almost four years of black I need a change.

Dark blue over black. I have that one saved. MMMmmmm.

Shane D
Old 08-31-2009, 12:47 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 E63
Originally Posted by Shane D
Not sure what it is called in the US but I LOVE Tanzanite blue. I have been cutting the pics out of car magazines (Car and Driver and Road and Track as I recall). Very rich looking!
I have never understood getting a car with a nice shape and having it in gray or silver. It is like having no colour. It is like taking a colour pic and running it through Photoshop to make it monochrome.
After almost four years of black I need a change.

Dark blue over black. I have that one saved. MMMmmmm.

Shane D
That one is called Capri Blue in the US and I do agree that it is an amazing color, although I may be biased.

But I disagree with grays or silvers. Those colors are very good at showing off the lines of a car. In the case of the W212 it might be a bit too much with so many lines, but on something like the W221 with sharp but smooth flowing lines it shows off the masculine lines very well.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:30 PM

nothing right now
Smile

Originally Posted by AsianML
That one is called Capri Blue in the US and I do agree that it is an amazing color, although I may be biased.

But I disagree with grays or silvers. Those colors are very good at showing off the lines of a car. In the case of the W212 it might be a bit too much with so many lines, but on something like the W221 with sharp but smooth flowing lines it shows off the masculine lines very well.
I guess I just prefer darker, richer colours. Love a dark blue, black, dark gray and even a deep red. I spend way too much time cleaning, but that is the price I pay.

Shane D
Old 08-31-2009, 05:46 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by AsianML

Agreed. Silver is a great color to show off a great, and clean design, looks very striking and classy when it lets the actual design do the talking.

I've always thought modern Benzes were tailor-made for silver, but the new generation, save for the 221, which looks stunning in silver when equipped right and clean, are not really made to look best in silver. Especially the W212, silver makes it look messy to me, I've noticed white usually compliments all the lines going on, and square shapes, etc. best.

One color I hate is Black, it hides all the lines, and is a b!tch to keep clean. However, considering I don't like the lines of the W212, I happen to also find them looking good in Black, in comparison to other colors at least.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:22 PM

nothing right now
Question

Originally Posted by K-A
One color I hate is Black, it hides all the lines, and is a b!tch to keep clean. However, considering I don't like the lines of the W212, I happen to also find them looking good in Black, in comparison to other colors at least.
Just out of curiosity, why do you post so much in this forum? You have made it real clear that you do not like nor will you buy a W212. Why waste your time and the bandwidth?

I am not trying to be confrontational, but it would be like someone logging on to Rennlist every day to go on about how they dislike Porsches??

Just wondering if there is some deeper meaning to your prolific posting on this Forum? Perhaps some big back story I am unaware of?

Please enlighten an MB World Noob.

Shane D
Old 08-31-2009, 09:09 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Shane D
Just out of curiosity, why do you post so much in this forum? You have made it real clear that you do not like nor will you buy a W212. Why waste your time and the bandwidth?

I am not trying to be confrontational, but it would be like someone logging on to Rennlist every day to go on about how they dislike Porsches??

Just wondering if there is some deeper meaning to your prolific posting on this Forum? Perhaps some big back story I am unaware of?

Please enlighten an MB World Noob.

Shane D
I just like to car jabber. I don't think my "putdowns" to the car are childish or confrontational. I simply respond to these convos with my thoughts and the reasoning behind them. This being a new model I'm more intrigued to see what's going on in this section. I also give credit to the cars strog points when they come up as well.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:42 PM

nothing right now
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by K-A
I just like to car jabber. I don't think my "putdowns" to the car are childish or confrontational. I simply respond to these convos with my thoughts and the reasoning behind them. This being a new model I'm more intrigued to see what's going on in this section. I also give credit to the cars strog points when they come up as well.
Fair enough I guess. Personally I would never post in or even read a forum unless I was looking to buy the car (as I am considering with the E-Class) or at least was a huge fan (in my case that would be Porsche Turbos and MB SL 55'/65's).

Just wondering if I was missing some background. Thanks for the reply!

Shane D

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What color would you choose?