E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

saw new E on the road in SoCal.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 09:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E350
Originally Posted by K-A
Yeah. I know it excludes Brakes, so I'm definitely assuming it excludes most, if not all wear and tear items?

Uhhhhhhh... if it excludes wear & tear items, then how does it differ from what MB offers (which is maintainence minus the "free")? I guess then ALL labor is FREE for 4 years, 50K miles for BMW's then, right? (Labor is a pretty substantial charge, so I GUESS it's still a "luke warm" deal, even if it doesn't include any wear & tear items...)
Old 07-10-2009, 09:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
Originally Posted by chokaay
Yeah, that is true. Those "free" services ARE built into the price, and many people don't understand that. However, depending on how low you are able to negotiate BMW's price compared to MB's price, "free" maintainence still may or may not turn out to be a good deal (depending on how skillful you are at negotiating). If you have to pay several thousand more for a comparable BMW versus MB, then it's probably not worth it (unless you're a die hard BMW fan). However, if the BMW deal turns out the same, or even cheaper than the comparable MB, then it may be worth it... or at least it can be considered a nice "free" perk!

By the way, does the BMW "free" maintainence include ALL wear & tear items? So you NEVER have to pay for any tires, breaks, rotors, oil & fluids, windshield wipers, light bulbs, belts, filters, or anything during the 4 years, 50K miles? Or does it exclude some of those?
See, I don't understand how other people don't get that the "free thing" is built into the price. EVERYTHING is built into the price. How many oil changes are you gonna go through in a 3 year lease? How many brake pads? Nothing is FREE in this country, you're taken for a ride as much as you can get taken for.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:12 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by 220S
"Free maintenance" is obviously just a sales tactic, nothing more and nothing less. Just like the back end sales at the dealers. But it seems to work.

I personally would never choose a vehicle based on whether or not I got "free" maintenance. But for maybe 80% or so out there, it sounds good to them.

btw, Volvo has added free maintenance to most of their new vehicles in the USA. It's actually free because the MSRP is still the same as it was. But the interesting part is that it's a plan generated and paid for by Volvo USA and not the mfg. It's a sales tactic they hope will move cars in the US.

The Volvo Safe + Sound Coverage Plan is a U.S.-specific program and is valid only when repairs are performed at an authorized U.S. Volvo Retailer subject to all applicable exclusions or limitations. It applies to eligible 2009 Model Year U.S. specification Volvo vehicles purchased in the U.S.
M-B seems interested in considering going back to this if their "M-B Advisors" Website is any indication, as they have Sent out some surveys on how we feel on the the whole Free Maintenance thing. Again, it just seems like them trying to "play along" and follow what others are doing, can't blame 'em but it's desperation and a stark contrast from the M-B of yore. They keep going round in circles like was mentioned.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:15 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Uhhhhhhh... if it excludes wear & tear items, then how does it differ from what MB offers (which is maintainence minus the "free")? I guess then ALL labor is FREE for 4 years, 50K miles for BMW's then, right? (Labor is a pretty substantial charge, so I GUESS it's still a "luke warm" deal, even if it doesn't include any wear & tear items...)
Well it covers the fluids, etc. But really, how extensive can Service be under 50K Miles? I mean, then again, I just payed $1K for my G Service (I think it was) at under 34K Miles, so if I didn't know any better, that "Free" thing does sound alluring.... NOBODY wants to pay $1K to service a non-Ferrari-esque exotic, but BMW isn't stupid, and I'm sure they're over-charging you for the service in that sticker price indeed.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:23 PM

E350
Originally Posted by K-A
Well it covers the fluids, etc. But really, how extensive can Service be under 50K Miles? I mean, then again, I just payed $1K for my G Service (I think it was) at under 34K Miles, so if I didn't know any better, that "Free" thing does sound alluring.... NOBODY wants to pay $1K to service a non-Ferrari-esque exotic, but BMW isn't stupid, and I'm sure they're over-charging you for the service in that sticker price indeed.

In comparison, MB's Service A here is (averaging out a few local dealerships) $180, and Service B is $330. Each service alternates every 10K miles. So for 50K, you're looking at 3 x Service A's, and 2 x Service B's. That equals $1,200. If BMW's "free" maintainence includes all wear & tear items, then maybe add on a few hundred to that cost. And if they include brakes & rotors (which may get replaced once or twice), that may be another $800-$1,000. And if they include tires (which would be awesome) then that could be replaced anywhere from 1-4 times (depending on the type of tire, and the driving pattern), which could add up to a lot of money (depending on the brand and model of tire).

And you are right, NOBODY wants to pay $1K just for service on their car! "Free" maintainence/service for 4 years/50K miles does sound VERY appealing... which is why a lot of people are persuaded to buy BMW. Even I know a couple people who went with BMW just because of the "free" maintainence (the deciding factor)... could have bought a MB, but they didn't have "free" maintainance... oh well...
Old 07-10-2009, 11:09 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Yeah. It's funny how BMW owners try and pretend it was the Bangleized designs that pushed BMW's "victory Sales" over M-B's.

Back in the early-mid 2000's M-B's Sales were at record highs, and still out-selling BMW's. From my observations the W211 and basically everything M-B was putting out at the time were such mainstream hits, people jumped out to buy them, and were met with reliability debacles. I can't even begin to remember how many COUNTLESS people said "I will never go back to M-B after this", and jumped to BMW, then when they dropped Free Maintenance (M-B), that was the icing on the cake for many people.

The fact that the W211 still held strong and was/is a Sales monster to its very last days, is a testament to the timeless design IMO. Let's see what the future holds....

Last edited by K-A; 07-10-2009 at 11:11 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:15 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

On another note, and in keeping with the intended theme of the Thread. Being that I frequent and/or live in 3 very "upscale" areas of L.A and surrounding, I have YET to see a W212 on the road, and I am aware some Dealers already have large shipments. Like the car or not, I'm excited to see them on the road, and curious to see how my eyes will take to them once it gets used to them.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by K-A
On another note, and in keeping with the intended theme of the Thread. Being that I frequent and/or live in 3 very "upscale" areas of L.A and surrounding, I have YET to see a W212 on the road, and I am aware some Dealers already have large shipments. Like the car or not, I'm excited to see them on the road, and curious to see how my eyes will take to them once it gets used to them.
Yesterday I saw one driving on the PCH at the Incline and one parked on Alma Real in the Palisades. The one on the PCH was from WI Simonson and the parked one was from Encino MB.

In the last few days, I've seen around five or six of them in my neighborhood (Santa Monica/Pacific Palisades)

They don't look horrible. They look okay aside from that huge taillight and big chunk of trunk chrome. But they are hard to spot. They blend in really well with the crowd.
Old 07-11-2009, 05:04 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

That's weird I haven't seen 'em yet. I'm sure they do blend in save for some of the M-B trademark areas (grille). I wonder if I have seen one and didn't notice it, lol. I dunno, I hope at least the first several times I see them amongst other cars on the road it will have some impact on me. I've seen them on their own quite a few times, but Dealer lots don't tell the full story....
Old 07-17-2009, 08:16 PM

E350
Maybe it's just me, but if the car was any further, I would think that was the back of a Lexus (an older style one). In fact, that's what I first thought when I saw the pic (until I looked for the 2010 E-Class details... lucky I knew what to look for!).

My second thought was that although the MB and the white car in the pic are two completely different cars in completely different classes from completely different manufacturers, both of their rears have some subtle implied design similarities... too much IMO.

In a related tangent... while I was in South Korea a couple days ago, from the front windshield I saw traffic stopping about 200 meters in front of me and saw what I thought was the 2010 E-Class's "distinctive" brake lights in front of me. "OH GOODIE!!!", I thought, "I finally get to see the 2010 E-Class on the road... and up-close!" (How ironic I haven't seen any in the U.S., but I get to see one in South Korea!)

So as I get closer... 150 meters... 100 meters... wait a minute, something doesn't look quite right... 50 meters... 25 meters... where is the Mercedes-Benz badge?... 5 meters... OMG IT'S A LATE MODEL KIA!!!

I was shocked at the resemblence from behind! When the car wasn't braking, educated MB fans can tell it's NOT a 2010 E-Class from about 100 meters away. While the rear profile of the car looks VERY similar to the 2010 E-Class, it isn't EXACTLY a perfect match. The rear of the car is flat instead of being slightly pointed, the tail/brake light plastic covers have slightly rounded corners/edges, but overall it looks extremely similar to the new 2010 E-Class rear. When braking (especially at dusk or at night), I doubt one could tell it was a KIA unless they were less than 10 meters away. The LED brake light pattern is EXACTLY THE SAME as the 2010 E-Class (maybe the tail light configuration might be a little different, but I doubt it). Blinkers on the KIA are amber and non-LED (insted of Red LED's like the 2010 E-Class in the U.S.), but if the blinkers aren't on, you can't tell that difference unless you're less than 5 meters away.

Overall a VERY close match... the CLOSEST match I've ever seen out of ANY current generation car vs. current generation car (excluding cars that imitate/mimic older discontinued MB designs, which are plentiful in asia... especially in China). I wonder who came up with the rear design first... MB or KIA? And it wouldn't surprise me if no one in South Korea gets a 2010 E-Class... who would want to drive their brand new MB around, only to be mistaken for a KIA (no offense to KIA fans)?!?!

Too bad I didn't get a picture...

Last edited by chokaay; 07-17-2009 at 08:19 PM.