E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

column shifter and floor shifter ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Just did some research on the E63 and I have to say I was wrong about the transmission. They are indeed using the "Multi-Clutch Technology Transmission" (currently only offered in the SL63 till now) that uses a multi-clutch in place of a normal torque converter for faster shifts including a launch control button for those kick **** take offs. While its similar to a Ferrari dual clutch system it's not quite the as fluid, but its light years beyond the out going E63 trans and should knock a few tenths off the times.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
Originally Posted by chilledbenz
Just did some research on the E63 and I have to say I was wrong about the transmission. They are indeed using the "Multi-Clutch Technology Transmission" (currently only offered in the SL63 till now) that uses a multi-clutch in place of a normal torque converter for faster shifts including a launch control button for those kick **** take offs. While its similar to a Ferrari dual clutch system it's not quite the as fluid, but its light years beyond the out going E63 trans and should knock a few tenths off the times.
The outgoing AMG transmission is just a 7 speed with a manual mode. That's it pretty much. Even the 5'er was like that. The new AMG transmission that is in the SL63 comes with a load of features similar to the M5 and M6 with launch control and other characteristics. MB finally came out with a tranny that can compete with the M dual clutch and other makes as well. I don't think the C63 has this new transmission.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Originally Posted by gaazmon
The outgoing AMG transmission is just a 7 speed with a manual mode. That's it pretty much. Even the 5'er was like that. The new AMG transmission that is in the SL63 comes with a load of features similar to the M5 and M6 with launch control and other characteristics. MB finally came out with a tranny that can compete with the M dual clutch and other makes as well. I don't think the C63 has this new transmission.
The new trans debuted on the SL63, but I wasn't aware it was going to be used in the E63 until I read up on it. I just figured because the C63 didn't get the new trans that the E63 wouldn't either. I guess the first give away should have been the pictures of the E63 switch gear that I myself posted awhile back lol.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
Originally Posted by chilledbenz
The new trans debuted on the SL63, but I wasn't aware it was going to be used in the E63 until I read up on it. I just figured because the C63 didn't get the new trans that the E63 wouldn't either. I guess the first give away should have been the pictures of the E63 switch gear that I myself posted awhile back lol.
I'm glad it will be getting this new system. Good upgrade for the price you have to pay for this car. And smart move with removing front air suspension system for a steel setup.