E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Pic 2010 White/Pano E550 Sport

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2009 | 08:50 PM

2020 GLE 450 4Matic, 2018 Jaguar F-Type R Convertible
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
What does C or S mode do for the ride? Isn't that a transmission setting button?
The C setting starts you in second gear; the S in first. Interestingly, each time you start the car, it reverts to the C mode. Better for gas mileage overall, I suppose...
Old 10-01-2009 | 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by MichaelB.
Absolutly. Your w211 is a nice enough car without a doubt (I have driven literally hundreds of them and like them) but this new E has taken it up several notches to the point of surprise. Do try one.

As far as my own daily ride. My S-class is indeed luxurious to drive but Mercedes has done everything in their power to make the new E the most highly developed car they can produce. Comparing the two cars is actually fair now as the E is approaching the refinement of the S. I was amazed when I first drove my 221 S that MB got the chassis to feel like it was half of its weight. The car effortlessly turns and accelerates & brakes without any concern. It it truly pleasurable to command. But the sweet thing is that MB has done nearly the same with the 2010 E. Most certainly the V6 is only a fine engine choice but the steering, ride, handling, effort, braking and general use feels much the same caliber as its larger and much more expensive sibling. Its delightful (which would make the 550 E positively delightful).

My wife thinks my S-class is much to large to zip in & out of shopping mall parking spots easily but she wanted the same appointments in a car for her that I get to enjoy in my S-class. She now has every bit my S-class has AND MORE!. Great machine.

Just tonight we downloaded her music choices into the on-board E-class hard drive. The whole time I am thinking "jeezzz, this is an E-class?"

Bravo Mercedes.
Outstanding report. It sounds like Mercedes is back to putting the focus where it belongs. I like the fuel mileage and the length of the new E vs the S. My garage is at a 90 degree angle to my drive and unless I have the car set up in the garage correctly it takes nearly two goes to get my E back down the driveway. I can only imagine the hassle an S would impose.

Last edited by MBNUT1; 10-01-2009 at 10:29 PM.
Old 10-01-2009 | 10:22 PM

SL 55
Thats hotttt
Old 10-01-2009 | 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by petee1997
The E350 Sed in Canada has direct control suspension and selective damping. In sport mode it firms up the suspension and changes the transmission settings. It changes the whole dynamics of the car. This is not available on the E350 coupe.

I don't know if the US model has this suspension. Canadian cars have higher base price but standard equipment includes 4Matic,pano roof,folding side mirrors, parktronic with park assist, Sat Radio, Zenon lights with auto dimming, folding rear seat, LED running lights, dir control susp.
Supposedly, it's only available on the 4matic and CDI and as an option. But standard on all the 550s. So, apparently (according to your purchase) it's 'standard' on the 4matic in Canada(?) Or maybe the pricing structure is just different and the cost is absorbed in the Canadian MSRP(?) Somebody with a US 4matic will have to chime in.

Here's the description:

"The new E-Class is the first Mercedes-Benz model to feature a combination of AIRMATIC air suspension and an electronically controlled damping system that adapts the damper characteristics with continuously variable control – individually for each wheel. This air suspension setup is available as an option for the V6‑powered E 350 CGI BlueEFFICIENCY and E 350 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY models and for the E 350 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY 4MATIC and E 350 4MATIC models; it is fitted as standard for the E 550/E 550 4MATIC models.

A total of seven sensors monitor the driving situation and the position of the body, sending their information to an electronic control unit, which also processes information concerning road speed, steering wheel angle, braking torque and engine torque, using this data to calculate the optimum shock-absorber characteristics. The system adjusts the damping force for each wheel individually, depending on the current road conditions and driving situation. When driving normally, soft damping settings are also selected if the road surface is poor. This mode offers the E-Class occupants maximum comfort without impairing the outstanding directional stability, road adhesion or handling safety. As the driving style becomes more dynamic, the shock-absorber settings are adapted continuously and therefore meet the driver's need for enhanced agility.

The driver can pre-program the principal vehicle characteristics at the push of a button on the dashboard. There are two modes to choose from: "Comfort" or "Sport". In Sport mode, the hydraulic forces of the shock absorbers are increased so as to allow even better directional stability and road adhesion at high speeds as well as reduce understeer at speeds of up to 120 km/h."
Old 10-01-2009 | 11:55 PM

C219 CLS / W220 † / W211† / W210 E55 † / W210 Brabus † / Hamann 540i † /
I'll buy your car in 2 years when its 25k....... 1st year model = RUN!!!!
Old 10-02-2009 | 02:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
I love the dampening feature for the airmatic.

I also love the raising feature. Used it last night as my friend couldn't get the door closed since it was stuck to the curb. Pushed the button and walla. She just looked like "wow"

Last edited by gaazmon; 10-02-2009 at 02:15 AM.
Old 10-02-2009 | 06:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

...24 GLE53
Originally Posted by 220S
Supposedly, it's only available on the 4matic and CDI and as an option. But standard on all the 550s. So, apparently (according to your purchase) it's 'standard' on the 4matic in Canada(?) Or maybe the pricing structure is just different and the cost is absorbed in the Canadian MSRP(?) Somebody with a US 4matic will have to chime in.

Here's the description:

"The new E-Class is the first Mercedes-Benz model to feature a combination of AIRMATIC air suspension and an electronically controlled damping system that adapts the damper characteristics with continuously variable control – individually for each wheel. This air suspension setup is available as an option for the V6‑powered E 350 CGI BlueEFFICIENCY and E 350 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY models and for the E 350 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY 4MATIC and E 350 4MATIC models; it is fitted as standard for the E 550/E 550 4MATIC models.

A total of seven sensors monitor the driving situation and the position of the body, sending their information to an electronic control unit, which also processes information concerning road speed, steering wheel angle, braking torque and engine torque, using this data to calculate the optimum shock-absorber characteristics. The system adjusts the damping force for each wheel individually, depending on the current road conditions and driving situation. When driving normally, soft damping settings are also selected if the road surface is poor. This mode offers the E-Class occupants maximum comfort without impairing the outstanding directional stability, road adhesion or handling safety. As the driving style becomes more dynamic, the shock-absorber settings are adapted continuously and therefore meet the driver's need for enhanced agility.

The driver can pre-program the principal vehicle characteristics at the push of a button on the dashboard. There are two modes to choose from: "Comfort" or "Sport". In Sport mode, the hydraulic forces of the shock absorbers are increased so as to allow even better directional stability and road adhesion at high speeds as well as reduce understeer at speeds of up to 120 km/h."

Not the same as airmatic,that is only available in the 550.
Old 10-02-2009 | 08:59 PM

2010 E550.. Gone but never forgotton - E63 AMG..
Some pics of the new Ride, Enjoy

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ml#post3745557

Will take some more during the day time. Been busy..
Old 10-02-2009 | 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Not the same as airmatic,that is only available in the 550.
In sport mode it firms up the suspension and changes the transmission settings.
Petee you gotta read more carefully ...... ,

You either have Airmatic (as an option; read the description, it's a Euro spec. Canada? I dunno, but you should know, that's why I asked you! You can get the Airmatic DC option on the E350 in other countries outside the USA) Or you have the standard damping system. The C and S mode will change the suspension for the Airmatic (if you indeed have it; the button with the little shock icon on it), otherwise it simply changes the tranny shift points. After all, this is the same transmission as last year. Also the same motor, etc..

On page 117 of your W212 manual, you will get the explanation of C and S mode (non-Airmatic models.) It's a transmission setting, does nothing to the suspension..... The C and S mode of the Airmatic (AMG E63, 550, the CDI and 350 4matic Euro spec as mentioned in my post) does change the suspension settings.

I think you're confusing MB's agility control suspension as a user defined system (like Airmatic.) It's not, it's a standard suspension.

It's like the C Class "agility control."

"That C/S button at the bottom of the PRND indicator has nothing to do with the car's suspension. No doubt long-time Mercedes-Benz fans will know it only changes the behavior of the transmission. Why the confusion?

With the release of the C Class, Mercedes has been actively promoting the car's all-new suspension system with a term which sounds very much like marketing-speak to us: Agility Control. The problem is that some people are assuming that means the car has active dampers or adaptive suspension. Not so. The truth is that in as much as every modern shock absorber uses multi-stage, hydraulic valves that are sensitive to the velocity of the piston within that shock absorber, producing more resistance with faster piston movement, the C300 Sport has such an "active damper."

Unless you actually have the "dynamic driving package" on the 4matic in Canada? Which I seriously doubt.

That C and S button is doing nothing to your suspension.

Last edited by 220S; 10-02-2009 at 11:08 PM.
Old 10-11-2009 | 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

...24 GLE53
220S I went back to the MB specs on their Canadian site. Their description is as follows: "DIRECT CONTROL suspension and selective damping." The dealership told me the damping changes in sport mode as does the transmission settings. Airmatic is not available on the E350 Sed. in Canada. All that being said, MB has different names for the same option in different countries. Maybe it is "agility control" by a different name. I am certainly not an authority on the subject.
Old 10-11-2009 | 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

220S I went back to the MB specs on their Canadian site. Their description is as follows: "DIRECT CONTROL suspension and selective damping." The dealership told me the damping changes in sport mode as does the transmission settings. Airmatic is not available on the E350 Sed. in Canada. All that being said, MB has different names for the same option in different countries. Maybe it is "agility control" by a different name. I am certainly not an authority on the subject.
Yeah, I looked on the Canada site before. It's the same system but with different names. And apparently in Europe you can get Airmatic as an option on certain V6 models.

But the dealer is incorrect. None of the MB literature (worldwide) mentions anything about C and S mode affecting anything other than the tranny (unless it's airmatic of course, and then it's a separate button anyway.)

Take a look closely at your owner's manual. It says the same thing.

Selective damping/direct control means (in MB speak) that the suspension adjusts itself to road conditions, but not as a driver's electronic input.

"The newly developed DIRECT CONTROL suspension with standard-fit amplitude-dependent damping system is one of the major factors behind the high degree of long-distance comfort provided by the E-Class. The shock absorbers adapt to the current driving situation, reducing the damping forces automatically when driving normally with low shock-absorber impulses and increasing the forces up to the maximum as required when cornering at speed or performing evasive manoeuvres. In this way, the chassis and suspension meet driver requirements in terms of road roar, tyre vibration and agility – without ever compromising on active safety.

The shock absorber system works by purely hydromechanical means without the need for sensors or electronics. Its core components are a bypass duct in the shock absorber's piston pin and a control piston which moves in a separate oil chamber. When the shock-absorber bounce is low, the control piston moves oil through the bypass duct so that a lower damping force is produced at the actual shock-absorber valve. The result is "softer" shock-absorber characteristics and, consequently, a high level of ride comfort. If the excitation of the shock absorber is greater, the control piston moves to its limit position so that oil ceases flowing through the bypass duct, meaning that the full damping force is available."

p.s., here's the Euro version:

"Suspension, AIRMATIC and steering
Another contribution to relaxed driving comes from the newly-developed, standard-fit DIRECT CONTROL suspension with selective damping system. The shock absorbers automatically adapt to the driving situation. The improved damping effect and stabilisation of the vehicle are particularly valuable on poor road surfaces. The optional DIRECT CONTROL suspension permits the vehicle body to be lowered by 15 millimetres (standard in conjunction with the AVANTGARDE equipment line and the AMG sports package).

The AIRMATIC air suspension – standard in the E 500 and optional for the 6-cylinder models – automatically influences the effect of the shock absorbers on each wheel and adapts them to the current road, load and driving characteristics. The driver can manually switch between a comfortable and a sporty setting. When necessary the system independently switches to a more rigid option – for example when the driver has to make an evasive manoeuvre."

Last edited by 220S; 10-11-2009 at 09:23 PM.
Old 10-11-2009 | 10:56 PM

E550 (W212) 2010
Originally Posted by geoaero
The C setting starts you in second gear; the S in first. Interestingly, each time you start the car, it reverts to the C mode. Better for gas mileage overall, I suppose...
Not sure if this is related only to 550s but mine does not revert back to C. It stays in S....hmmm
Old 10-12-2009 | 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

...24 GLE53
220S I stand corrected. The dealership's explanation that I was given does not stand up. However I must say the ride feels firmer when I put it through its' paces and I usually do that when in S mode. The power of suggestion can trick the mind if you believe what you are told is fact. The car may never drive as well now. I'm just kidding of course. In any event I love the performance in either C or S mode.

Last edited by petee1997; 10-12-2009 at 01:29 PM.
Old 10-12-2009 | 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

220S I stand corrected. The dealership's explanation that I was given does not stand up. However I must say the ride feels firmer when I put it through its' paces and I usually do that when in S mode. The power of suggestion can trick the mind if you believe what you are told is fact. The car may never drive as well now. I'm just kidding of course. In any event I love the performance in either C or S mode.
Just pretend it's changing the suspension and then it will handle better and life will be good.

btw, if you might be concerned about using C mode a lot (since it doesn't start out in 1st in C mode, and a lot of folks assume it might be putting a load on the tranny and motor), rest assured that all is okay. The question was asked on MB's AMG Private Lounge forum and the MBUSA tech rep said there is no load and nothing damaging in the long run when using 2nd to start out. 1st is a short gear, starting in 2nd creates no load, the tranny was made for it. And rpms are high enough for no load on the motor, either.

I use C often in sedate city driving in the E63 only because it's a bit smoother and I get better mileage. Of course, if I want to be naughty I'll use S or M mode (no pun intended )

Last edited by 220S; 10-12-2009 at 04:48 PM.
Old 10-12-2009 | 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

...24 GLE53
C mode is the default position on the E350 4Matic. Winter lasts 31/2 to 4 months here with an average snowfall of 9' for the season. Second gear is best for traction. I will now test the car if it shifts gears at a higher rpm in in S mode. Also will compare RPM at 100kms PH in C and S mode. Should I expect higher RPM in S mode.
Old 10-12-2009 | 08:49 PM

2011 E350 Sport 4Matic - P2 & Drivers Assist / 2010 C300 Sport 4Matic - P2 / 2013 Porsche Cayenne S
C mode is the default position on the E350 4Matic. Winter lasts 31/2 to 4 months here with an average snowfall of 9' for the season. Second gear is best for traction. I will now test the car if it shifts gears at a higher rpm in in S mode. Also will compare RPM at 100kms PH in C and S mode. Should I expect higher RPM in S mode.
Figure I might chime in with my $0.2 cents. Back on the W211 forum the difference between C mode and S mode has been discussed to death over the past few years. Here is the Cliff notes version of the countless threads about this:

-On the W211 there is no default mode when you start the car. If you turned the engine off in S it will start in S; if you turned the engine off in C it will start in C.

-The C stands for Comfort, S stands for Sport.

-In Comfort mode the car starts from second gear reverse or forward.

-In Sport mode the car starts from first gear reverse or forward.

-In Comfort mode the car is programmed to shift under 3K RPM unless being told otherwise by your right foot.

-In Sport mode the car is more likely to shift at or above 3K RPM.

-The actual RPMs don't vary at a certain maintained speed (ie: if you have the cruise control set at 60MPH you will get the same RPMs in S or C mode).

-In Sport mode you get more "free roll" (aka. less engine breaking) then in Comfort mode.

-According to the manual Comfort mode is recommended in inclement weather (rain, snow) because it provides more traction (less torque). However when you are stuck in the snow and need to rock your car out, like after the plow buries your car in, the manual recommends to turn the ESP off and put the car in S mode. This will allow the wheels to spin freely and get the most torque possible.

-Because of less engine braking, I personally, have been getting better gas mileage in Sport mode then in Comfort mode when I drive my car like I do on a daily basis (other people have reported the exact opposite so your mileage may vary on this one).
Old 10-12-2009 | 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW, Tesla, Mercedes, Porsche, Cadillac
Just pretend it's changing the suspension and then it will handle better and life will be good.

btw, if you might be concerned about using C mode a lot (since it doesn't start out in 1st in C mode, and a lot of folks assume it might be putting a load on the tranny and motor), rest assured that all is okay. The question was asked on MB's AMG Private Lounge forum and the MBUSA tech rep said there is no load and nothing damaging in the long run when using 2nd to start out. 1st is a short gear, starting in 2nd creates no load, the tranny was made for it. And rpms are high enough for no load on the motor, either.

I use C often in sedate city driving in the E63 only because it's a bit smoother and I get better mileage. Of course, if I want to be naughty I'll use S or M mode (no pun intended )
Just curious.... Next time when you're driving, put your E's IC on the AMG menu and watch the gears. Without any prior sporty/aggressive driving (no strong acceleration to the point that you brought the RPMs up to ~3500 or higher), in S mode, when you come to a full stop and then accelerate, check and see if the car really starts in 1st gear.

From my experience, even in S mode, the car will start in 2nd gear anyways, unless you drive aggressively and the RPM exceeds something like 3-4000 RPM. If I do exceed that amount of RPM (in my ML, not sure about the others since there's no way to see what gear the car is in other than studying the RPM needle), then the car will start off in 1st gear. It also shifts more aggressive and quicker. Just wanted to see if you had the same experience.
Old 10-13-2009 | 01:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by QuadBenz
Just curious.... Next time when you're driving, put your E's IC on the AMG menu and watch the gears. Without any prior sporty/aggressive driving (no strong acceleration to the point that you brought the RPMs up to ~3500 or higher), in S mode, when you come to a full stop and then accelerate, check and see if the car really starts in 1st gear.

From my experience, even in S mode, the car will start in 2nd gear anyways, unless you drive aggressively and the RPM exceeds something like 3-4000 RPM. If I do exceed that amount of RPM (in my ML, not sure about the others since there's no way to see what gear the car is in other than studying the RPM needle), then the car will start off in 1st gear. It also shifts more aggressive and quicker. Just wanted to see if you had the same experience.
I'll try it (not going anywhere in it tomorrow but will within the next few days) and let you know. (Supposed to rain here, first real rain of the season.)

Normally, I have it in C and if I need any lower gear (passing, etc.) I simply use the paddles and shift myself. And a lot of times I'll just pull the paddle to get it to start off in 1st while in C mode. So, whether in C or S, the tranny has probably adapted to a somewhat more aggressive (higher rpms) response than most "normal" driving.

I don't recall it ever starting out in 2nd while in S, but I'll drive it sedately for a while and see if it does...
Old 10-13-2009 | 10:52 AM

E350
Originally Posted by LaicepsYdobon
-In Sport mode you get more "free roll" (aka. less engine breaking) then in Comfort mode.

That's very interesting... my two 2009 E350's get noticeably MORE engine breaking in S-mode than C-mode, which is why I use C most of the time (for less engine braking). Maybe "sport/RWD" vs. "luxury/4matic" has something to do with it?

Last edited by chokaay; 10-13-2009 at 10:54 AM.
Old 10-13-2009 | 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by chokaay
That's very interesting... my two 2009 E350's get noticeably MORE engine breaking in S-mode than C-mode, which is why I use C most of the time (for less engine braking). Maybe "sport/RWD" vs. "luxury/4matic" has something to do with it?
I think it was just a typo and he mixed the two up....
Old 10-13-2009 | 08:15 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
I think it was just a typo and he mixed the two up....
Actually I've talked to him about it before, and he's definitely not mixing it up. Weird thing is mine gets a lot more free roll when in S too, I actually find myself having to stomp on the brakes too much (in S) as it free rolls more than I anticipate. In C mode I get more engine brake.
Old 10-13-2009 | 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by K-A
Actually I've talked to him about it before, and he's definitely not mixing it up. Weird thing is mine gets a lot more free roll when in S too, I actually find myself having to stomp on the brakes too much (in S) as it free rolls more than I anticipate. In C mode I get more engine brake.
Oh well, it's the opposite for me.
Old 10-13-2009 | 10:04 PM

E350
Oh well, it's the opposite for me.

Same here...
Old 10-13-2009 | 10:46 PM

2011 E350 Sport 4Matic - P2 & Drivers Assist / 2010 C300 Sport 4Matic - P2 / 2013 Porsche Cayenne S
Yeah I'm not mixing it up, in S mode I do get less engine break then in C mode. I've only actually started to notice this past spring. All winter I was driving around in C mode because of the weather. Then one sunny spring day I switched over to S and noticed that when I coast down a big hill for a mile or two on the highway I didn't have to pump the gas pedal to keep up with traffic. I actually had to step on the break to slow the car down a few times. Then I checked my gas consumption and noticed that I've been getting better gas mileage in S mode then in C.
Old 10-14-2009 | 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E350 4Matic
Maybe its because he has the 5 spd and you guys have the seven

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pic 2010 White/Pano E550 Sport