E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Can this possibly be normal ? Oxidation in headlights ?? 2010 E350!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X3 and 2012 C coming soon
Originally Posted by gaazmon
I don't like leasing either, but that's how these companies make money. They always have you stuck in a payment and always keep you coming back every 2 to 3 years for a new car. New deposit, more work for the service dept to bill to manufacturer, always new cars being taken off the lots, etc. If you buy a car, generally, the dealership will not see you for quite a few years. Lol, I had a woman come in with her mother for a remote she needed for a car alarm we had manufactured back in 1992 that was on her mother's car. It was 1 of 3 of the 1st models our company had manufactured and it still works flawlessly according to her. As a seller of a product, that makes me very proud that my product still works. I think companies these days build products purposely that will not last as long as comparative products did back in the late 80's or early to mid 90's, especially with electronics such as tvs, cell phones, radios, car alarms, etc. The point of this is turnover, always get the customer to come back to buy something new. I have tvs that were built in the early 90s that still work. How long do you think these flat screen plasma tvs will last???
It's called planned obsolescence. In the beginning, auto manufacturers wanted their cars to last a long time, if not forever. In the 1930s, two fellas in the auto industry, Alfred Sloan of GM and Walter Chrysler of...you know, were early advocates of planned obsolesence. As fate would have it, it seems such attitudes aided in the obsolecence of Oldsmobile and Pontiac. And, hurt Chrysler over the decades. Good work guys.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:59 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Indeed ^^

GM went so far with the planned obsolescence they're still trying vigorously to dig themselves out of their graves.

You want to see the worst Crash Test ratings of the last 15 years? Look up GM's archives. Their new products are really a giant leap above anything they've ever come close to doing before, but we'll see if it's too-little-too-late.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
Originally Posted by K-A
as these days, anyone with a barely decent enough job, and a low enough overhead, could afford to Lease a M-B/BMW/Etc.
I know a lot of people that live in a two bedroom apartment, with a wife, and with either his or his wife's parents, and drive S's, CL's, SL's, CLS's, 7 serieses, 6 serieses, etc. They'll lease it for 2 years, 10k miles a year (I've heard of others getting even less mileage), drive the sh*t out of it, never change the oil, and when they are about to turn it in they roll the mileage back (that's why some don't take it in for service at a dealer so the mileage never gets written down).

Last edited by gaazmon; 10-07-2009 at 02:02 AM.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:42 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by gaazmon
I know a lot of people that live in a two bedroom apartment, with a wife, and with either his or his wife's parents, and drive S's, CL's, SL's, CLS's, 7 serieses, 6 serieses, etc. They'll lease it for 2 years, 10k miles a year (I've heard of others getting even less mileage), drive the sh*t out of it, never change the oil, and when they are about to turn it in they roll the mileage back (that's why some don't take it in for service at a dealer so the mileage never gets written down).
Lol, that's called "The L.A Dream". Couldn't help but shake your head when you heard all those stories during the initial Economy downfall of all these guys getting their cars, jewelry, etc. repo'd. As they obviously wanted to show off, but didn't have a months worth of cash backup to support their lifestyle.

Funniest part is those guys are usually the ones that put-down "lesser" cars, like a Napolean Complex. As they know deep down, they don't really have the liquid cash to support the actual worth of what their driving.... Not to mention are sacrificing so many other areas of their lives, causing a major mismatch.