E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

E550 Long Term Review and Photo Album

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E550 (W212) 2010
Post E550 (W212) Long Term Review and Photo Album

When W212 quasi-official pics first appeared in Autobild I was disappointed. The car looked matronly. With time, however, the true shape began filtering through the web and I started to feel that not all was lost. When MB invited me to test drive the new E class I was more intrigued to see it in person than alarmed by potential disappointment. After 3 test drives I placed my order. The E was ON!

Before I proceed with the initial phase of my long term review, let me say this: If MB decides to change driving dynamics on this or any future Es a lot of people will get upset. There will be widespread discontent similar to what happened when BMW destroyed its 7 series - car enthusiasts will write petitions asking to keep E’s driving characteristics exactly the way they are now.

It would be an understatement to say that I love the way E550 drives. The car seems to know intimately that you are driving it! Its mass responds with great precision. Airmatic suspension absorbs exactly the right amount of bumps. If you are a long time MB enthusiast (or if you had previous Es in your family) the dynamics will remind you of E500 (W124). Only faster. W212 drives nothing like W210 and a lot better than W211. Where W210 will put you at risk and W211 will oversteer, W212 will confidently glide you through. And if your E comes with Drive Dynamic seats then you might end up giggling like a little girl after first sharp corner!

Some folks have been negative about W212’s ride. Usually those are BMW or AUDI fans or pundits like Jeremiah Grandpa Clarkson or jaded auto magazine editors. It seems to me that there are deep rooted differences in the way BMW/Audi drive vs. MB. Those who understand and respect these differences will be satisfied with W212. Those who want to make MB into yet another BMW or Audi will continue their “perception” quest.

Someone on this board mentioned that W212 was designed to be driven every day by a corporate worker on autobans/highways or by a homemaker on various errands. If that’s the case, this person continued, then making steering BMW-like will be taxing on the driver. You have no idea how right that guy was!

Since I picked up my E550 a thought have crossed my mind multiple times:”What kind of focus group did MB put together in order to test how W212 should feel on the road?” Whatever they did, they did it right. I simply cannot fathom how any reasonable car enthusiast can say that the W212’s ride is “flat” or “boring”. In short, when you drive W212 you feel the road, and you know the way the car will respond, yet you do not get tired turning that wheel. And once again, this time around the car feels you….literally… in case you have Drive Dynamic seats.

Now, let me start with a step by step review of the car itself.

What did I get?

E550 RWD
Color Combo: Capri Blue/Beige/Walnut

Price
I got $4K off MSRP which was $66,725.

Packages/Options

P2 (I am not going to recite all that goes into this package. You can view that on MBUSA website)
Sport Package (no charge)
Dynamic Seats
Folding Rear Seats
Parktronic

I decided against Pano roof. There are 2 reasons for that. First, Pano shade closes both the driver and passenger skylights simultaneously. In other words, there is no way to close the back and leave front open and vice versa. Second, the shade is not completely light proof. You will still see the sun a little when it is direct. There is nothing that can be done about it.

Fuel Consumption

I have driven 440 miles so far. Average consumption clocked at 17.9 mpg. I live in DC and commute to VA. My route is one of the most congested in the country. So, all things considered (massive engine, congestion, extensive city driving) my E550 fuel consumption has not been too bad.

Torque

I have not been pushing the tachometer past 2,000 because the car is new. But to be honest with you, the torque on this beast is incredible - even at low revs. The car will push you into your seat at 1300 rpm.

Often, I would drive at 60 mph and accelerate to 75 and the rpm will move from roughly 1,500 to 1,600 only! At 2,000 I can get it to go 85 no problem. Imagine doing 5,000 rpm…

Gears/Gear Shifter

Gear shifting is as smooth as Tom Cruise’s behind in Top Gun. I don’t know why I said that, but I did…so there.

Back in the day I test drove 2008 BMW 740iL. It was like riding a hippo at the Berlin Zoo. Anyway….I was apprehensive about W212’s gear shifter being on the steering column because I remembered my BWM test drive as something entirely negative. After my first W212 test drive I was not sold on the column shifter. In fact, I would say that I decided to compromise with myself at the time. Second and third test drives I quickly adjusted. Now that I drive my car nearly every day, I am happy to report that the shifter feels totally natural. For those of you who like to hold on to something – don’t despair! There is always that sport wheel….also you might find yourself using those shift paddles….FINALLY.

Someone mentioned that maybe they should have done a gearshift-knob alike in Aston Martins. I think that the column shifter is more natural and more convenient than push buttons or turn knobs….as long as it is electronic. Also, most of my friends did not immediately notice the absence of the normal shifter. Only when pointed to this fact would they start reacting. Most reactions have been positive.

INTERIOR

I have seen comments on this board from folks who claim that W212’s interior “feels cheap”. Honestly, either these folks are blind or have ADD or have some sort of tactile dysfunction. In comparison, W210 interior feels like it was manufactured in Communist East Germany. And W211’s interior, which I have test driven many times (plus a good friend has one), feels sooooo 90s after you experience W212. Further, contrary to some posts here, I think that plastic in W212 is better than in W211. Compare AC controls in W211 vs. W212 and you will see what I mean.

Things I like:
  • Compartments under front seats.
  • Great amount of space in the armrest.
  • “Oh wow…check this out…it’s lit up” – my friend’s comment when she opened the armrest.
  • Ambient lighting. It makes so much difference. W212 looks fantastic in the evening inside out. And especially inside due to the ambient lighting. It feels like a cockpit of a private airplane.
  • Back seat pockets.
  • Rear window shade
  • Front and back reading lights.
Things I wish they added/did differently:
  • Rear passenger window shades. On a sunny day people need them.
  • Massage option for the front passenger seat. It is unfair to have such a wonderful driver seat when front passenger seat gets only lumbar support.
  • The volume knob needs to be made exactly from the same heavy aluminum that they used on the Command system knob. Especially because the two look alike.
How does W212 interior compare to other makes

Going gaga over Audi interiors, which is the oldest, tired, overrated trick on the planet, will make me say back to you - B*tch Please! A6…S6… Seen it…driven it…done it…had sex in it… ….whatev…And unlike the character in this clip I did experience the product that I am commenting on http://www.hulu.com/watch/67442/satu...ebrity-blogger

Seriously, I really do not think Audi interiors are nicer or better (especially when comparing Audi’s A line to. MB’s E class). And please don’t roll A8 into this feud, because it is a different vehicle class and should be compared only to S models.

BMW interiors are for those who like BMW interiors. Comparing BMW vs. MB interiors is like comparing glass works from Daum vs. Baccarat. Both are nice…but different. At the end of the day it is a personal preference. My personal opinion is that BMW interiors feel austere.

Jags have nice interiors, but I still think they are for older folks. Women, I think, prefer Jaguar interiors. Not that this is a bad thing. To me, however, this suggestion means that Jaguars are from a different auto planet. Also, there is that nagging feeling that XF looks like a Ford.

Command System

So far, I have not had difficulties with any “logical routes”. It is very intuitive. Also, I love the knob. It is made from this beautiful heavy aluminum. Love it.

Voice Recognition, which I have not even “trained” yet recognizes my voice no problem.

EXTERIOR

Here is a link to my E550 photo album.

http://picasaweb.google.com/DCistMB/...eat=directlink

I will keep on posting more pics into this album, so save the link...

W212 has road presence. No doubt about it. It stands out big time. Some don’t like the rear and some do. I think it is awesome. Let me say this: “spoiled” forum folks who gaze at the spy, commercial, amateur and other photos day and night while chewing on a tired oatmeal-raisin scone from Starbucks are not the ones MB designers worry about. They are more concerned about the reaction of people such as my lay friends who all, so far, have expressed their genuine admiration for W212’s design. It must be said that none of my friends are above 40. I am not trying to discriminate here by saying this. I am just stating my reality at this moment.

What I like

• AMG Package
  • Capri Blue metallic – it feels almost black, especially at sunset, and yet it is not just black.
  • Back lights. They are like no other out there. All these dumb comparisons to Japanese cars are just laughable when you actually see these lights in person.
  • Headlights. I love how aggressive they are. Motor Trend, I believe, wrote that they remind them of Lexus GS headlights. Well, well, well. Let’s step back here for a quick hot second and remember which company introduced dual headlights in the first place. E with dual headlights appeared in 1995 (W210) and Lexus copied the look in 1997 (2nd gen Lexus GS or Toyota Aristo).

What I do not like

• Not sure if this is an exterior comment, but I am not pleased about the whole “side mirror tilt when in reverse” issue. It turns out you have to ask for this feature to be turned on by your mechanic who has to do it via Star system. MBUSA exec who decided on this process needs to start getting mandatory coffee colonicals for 3 years instead of normal morning coffee. What kind of a moron would decide not to allow this feature?!

• Hood gaps are a bit too wide for my liking. I would say that they are about 4mm. I am sure MB can reduce them to 2mm. At this point, I hope this will not affect my car’s headlights after first rainy day (some reported condensation).

I will keep on adding to this long term review over time. So, stay tuned!

DCist

Last edited by DCist; 10-11-2009 at 08:03 AM.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:50 PM

CL600 (sold) E550 Sedan
DCist... thank you very much for the post! I couldn't get the photo album to open, could you please check the link? Thanks again...
Old 10-10-2009, 06:55 PM

E550 (W212) 2010
Originally Posted by Dartman
DCist... thank you very much for the post! I couldn't get the photo album to open, could you please check the link? Thanks again...
Sorry about that....reposted. It should work now! Enjoy!
Old 10-10-2009, 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts
2023 Range Rover, 2020 MB S450
Very nice review..thanks...enjoy your car...
Old 10-10-2009, 08:16 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Good in-depth review. I stand that I think the 211's materials in specific areas and overall is a bit more refined and and quality, with more soft-touch, etc., but hey we all have different tastes. The A/C unit in the W212 I do agree with you on though, it's better.

Enjoy the ride.

Last edited by K-A; 10-10-2009 at 08:41 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts
2023 Range Rover, 2020 MB S450
Originally Posted by K-A
Good in-depth review. I stand that I think the 211's materials in specific areas and overall is a bit more refined and and quality, with more soft-touch, etc., but hey we all have different tastes. The A/C unit in the W212 I do agree with you on though, it's better.

Enjoy the ride.
Come on man..I have W211 and like it too..
You remind me Kenya West's comments on Video Award....
The man telling about 2010 model....forget about previous..it's gone...
Whether you like it or not, but MB did it and changed it ..stop comparing them in every thread and start looking around for you next car...
Old 10-10-2009, 10:09 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by aeggroup
Come on man..I have W211 and like it too..
You remind me Kenya West's comments on Video Award....
The man telling about 2010 model....forget about previous..it's gone...
Whether you like it or not, but MB did it and changed it ..stop comparing them in every thread and start looking around for you next car...
Lol, "Kanye".

Just providing an opinion, no need to get riled up. His pointing out the interior comments were probably referring in part to comments I've made amongst the others who agree. Simply stating that I disagree with him on that part. People are up-tight around here eh? I'm glad O/P loves his ride, I'm sure it obviously pleases him much more than the former model would.

Old model isn't gone BTW, still on the roads where I'm at.

BTW, comparing is only natural, it's still a new model.

Last edited by K-A; 10-10-2009 at 10:23 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:15 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

BTW I want to add, DC'ist got the best interior combo I've seen yet in this car.

White/Cream (?) Leather, black everywhere else, and WALNUT wood (gotta be walnut for me), with the 3-Spoke wheel instead of the IMO ugly 4-Spoke. The only thing I'd wish they'd do (color-scheme wise) on the W212 (if they don't), is continue with the white headliner and A-Pillars, etc. while still having a black interior. I find that an elegant look, while the all black is still very nice, albeit more on the sporty tip.

Very nice.
Old 10-11-2009, 02:52 PM

Not a MB (yet...)
Great write up DC!

If you have a chance, I am REALLY interested in the Capri Blue color, and would love to see some outdoor (full sun and also shade) pictures.

Also, did you get the standard or premium leather, and your thought on the difference if any?

Finally, (not sure if it's in your stated package) do you have the ventilated seats? I live in the desert and would live to know how well these work.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:07 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by DCist
It would be an understatement to say that I love the way E550 drives. The car seems to know intimately that you are driving it!
Old 10-11-2009, 04:33 PM

Lamborghini Huracan, Audi S4 Avant
Thank you DCist for such detailed review, I am in the market for a E Coupe to use as a DD I looked at every W212 related threads and yours was the most informative post by far.
When back from my trip I will visit my dealer and place an order.

K-A I know this is my first post and please don't take it to heart you seem like a nice guy and very passionate but I got to say this, you were in every single post in the W212 section, repeating yourself, it felt like groundhog day my friend, while you are entitled to your opinion I think that by now most readers got it please quit

Maybe it it just me like I mentioned above I red the whole of the W212 section in one night (holidays ) K-A overload, no hard feelings please carry on!
Old 10-11-2009, 06:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sls, e63
would like to second dc's excellent review, which i think is spot on. i had one for couple of months and found it to be thoroughly excellent. audi, mb, bmw, jag all have fairly distinct driving/ride traits and overall i prefer mb's. i won't address looks as this is so subjective - though i am extremely pleased with the overall look and feel it is easily the equal of the other brands. the interior and build quality are superior to my previous e and more or less equal to the s63. switched into e63 friday and this is simply a stunning car, far more enjoyable than m5 or any of the audi's and jag's i've been in.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG
good lord is that car sexy....

and great review btw - whoever is hating needs to keep their negativity to themselves...

do yourself and the car a favor - buy the rear spoiler!

keep us up to date with some more pics outside...

and get your windows tinted asap!!

Cheers,

Chris
Old 10-11-2009, 09:39 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Any pics next to the W210? I haven't seen a side by side yet of the two, would be interesting as IMO the 212 looks to me to be an evolution of the 210 in a way.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:29 PM

E550 (W212) 2010
Originally Posted by stogie1020
Great write up DC!

If you have a chance, I am REALLY interested in the Capri Blue color, and would love to see some outdoor (full sun and also shade) pictures.

Also, did you get the standard or premium leather, and your thought on the difference if any?

Finally, (not sure if it's in your stated package) do you have the ventilated seats? I live in the desert and would live to know how well these work.
Hey stogie1020

I am going to wash it in a couple of days and will take some extensive outside pics. Will keep you and everyone else posted.

Drive Dynamic Multicontour Driver Seat option is worth getting. My second test drive was in the car that did not have this option and I must say that the difference in comfort was noticeable.

P1 package will get you Heated/Ventilated Seats. I am not sure if the leather quality itself will be different without this package. As you probably know MBUSA does not really give many options in terms of upholstery grades/choices. They have more choices in Europe.

Ventilated seats work. However, frankly I expected a little bit more "wind" out of this option. Don't get me wrong, it works...but it is a little slow in my view. I would still get it though. Especially, because this option is bundled in the US with the Harman Kardon LOGIC7 which will blow you away if you play "The Final Countdown" at 110 decibels http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZkllM8znx4

Last edited by DCist; 10-11-2009 at 10:53 PM.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:38 PM

E550 (W212) 2010
Hey stogie1020

I am going to wash it in a couple of days and will take some extensive outside pics. Will keep you and everyone else posted.

Drive Dynamic Multicontour Driver Seat option is worth getting. My second test drive was in the car that did not have this option and I must say that the difference in comfort was noticeable.

P1 package will get you Heated/Ventilated Seats. I am not sure if the leather quality itself will be different without this package. As you probably know MBUSA does not really give many options in terms of upholstery grades/choices. They have more choices in Europe.

Ventilated seats work. However, frankly I expected a little bit more "wind" out of this option. Don't get me wrong, it works...but it is a little slow in my view. I would still get it though. Especially, because this option is bundled in the US with the Harman Kardon LOGIC7 which will blow you away if you play "The Final Countdown" at 110 decibels http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZkllM8znx4

Last edited by DCist; 10-11-2009 at 10:52 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Great review and interesting perspective from an owner which is very welcome here. On comment regarding the parking mirror. For the 212, it is no longer necessary to have the dealer activate this feature as it is active from the factory. This was the case for the last few years of the 211 but not for the 212. I think you simply have to have the mirror switch set properly and it works. Thanks