View Poll Results: Audi A5 Coupe vs MB E350 Coupe
Audi A5 Coupe
40.00%
MB E350 Coupe
60.00%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Audi A5 Coupe vs MB E350 Coupe

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:27 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 249 Likes on 182 Posts
Both of these cars are esthetically pleasing to the eye; I think the E's design is more avant garde.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:55 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by rieger
The E-class edginess looks good in the sedan but IMO doesn't transfer well to the coupe.
I do agree with this. About the A5, I think the reason as to why it's so popular and well received is its simplicity and bahaus German design, whilst the avant garde E-Coupe's styling might work against it as much as it does for it.

At this time, however, if I was in the market for both, I'd pick the E-Coupe. Not that I dislike the A5, but I've been acclimated to the cunning characteristics and complexities of this design language, and I probably would get a little bored with the bendy look of the A5.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:12 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

The Audi 5 is relatively over weight, a guzzler and underpowered although quite purdy. The redesign is getting closer and is reported to be lighter, livelier, less thirsty and I'd imagine even more attractive if they make it evolutionary not revolutionary...
Old 06-12-2011, 11:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ELECTROVAMP
The majority is not criterion of truth (Aristotle)

I think both Caddy and Aston have their own style. Juxtaposition of Audi - Aston and Mercedes - Cadillac isn't appropriate.
Look at the A5/S5 and you don't think the designers took something from the Aston Martin? Look also at the E-Class lines and you don't think they kind of leaned towards the Caddy lines? I am not saying the Caddy lines are ugly as I personally think the CTS-V is a nice piece of machinery. Just that someone said that the smooth look looked boring and I was saying that the edgy look of the E-class may not also be everyones cup of tea just like the caddy edgy look is not everyones cup of tea.

If you google design awards for Audi A5/S5 you will see multiple design awards.

http://www.google.ca/search?q=Audi+a...ient=firefox-a

Do the same for the E-Class coupe for design awards and you will get almost nothing.

http://www.google.ca/search?q=Audi+a...w=1920&bih=984

So while design is always personal can't argue that it looks boring and ugly if a car wins multiple design awards along with amazing sales numbers. At one point the S5 had a 2 year waiting list. Not bad for a ugly/boring car as one member put it.

IMO the two cars are really two different types of cars. The E-class coupe is more of a cruiser while the A5/S5 is more of a GT car. The E-coupe is much smoother and quieter while the A5/S5 is much more raw compared to the coupe. Personally I would compare the A5/S5 coupe more with the C-class coupe than the E-Coupe.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by RJC
The Audi 5 is relatively over weight, a guzzler and underpowered although quite purdy. The redesign is getting closer and is reported to be lighter, livelier, less thirsty and I'd imagine even more attractive if they make it evolutionary not revolutionary...
Well the 0-60 on the E550 coupe is 4.7 and on the S5 is 4.8 while the 1/4 is 13.1 on the E550 and 13.3 on the S5 so it aint much slower/underpowered than the E550(per road and track reviews)

The of the A5/S5 redesign will use more aluminum in the frame and should be about 200-400lbs lighter. We can look at the new A6 coming out using more aluminum and that car although bigger than the A4/S4 weighs almost 200lbs less.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:39 AM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well the 0-60 on the E550 coupe is 4.7 and on the S5 is 4.8 while the 1/4 is 13.1 on the E550 and 13.3 on the S5 so it aint much slower/underpowered than the E550(per road and track reviews)

The of the A5/S5 redesign will use more aluminum in the frame and should be about 200-400lbs lighter. We can look at the new A6 coming out using more aluminum and that car although bigger than the A4/S4 weighs almost 200lbs less.
The S5 is 333hp in the cab and 354 in the coupe...the 550 is 382hp and very soon to be 402hp, both a big difference over the Audi. The difference in torque is large as well. The qm trap speeds of the 550 coupe is +/-109 mph (r&t) where the Audi is +/-105 mph/coupe and +/-103mph cab (motor trend)...4-6 mph is considerable in qm traps for these types of cars. The Audi is no match for the Benz in speed and will be even more so in about 90 days when the TTDFI 550 coupes and cabs arrive.

The redesign is rumored to use a lighter weight all wheel drive system as well.

Last edited by RJC; 06-13-2011 at 12:52 AM.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by RJC
The S5 is 333hp in the cab and 354 in the coupe...the 550 is 382hp and very soon to be 402hp, both a big difference over the Audi. The difference in torque is large as well. The qm trap speeds of the 550 coupe is +/-109 mph (r&t) where the Audi is +/-105 mph/coupe and +/-103mph cab (motor trend)...4-6 mph is considerable in qm traps for these types of cars. The Audi is no match for the Benz in speed and will be even more so in about 90 days when the TTDFI 550 coupes and cabs arrive.

The redesign is rumored to use a lighter weight all wheel drive system as well.
Well the hp's and torque don't tell the whole story. It also depends on when the torque and hp's come and when it also ends and more importantly the gearing also plays a big part as well as how fast the transmission shifts. The 333hp in the cab in the S5 is also very underrated. it actually produces more in the area of 370-380hp with a huge powerband. Look up the information in the S4 forums for the B8 S4. Many have dynoed the car and it produces around 305awhp on a Mustang dyno. The drivetrain loss for Audi AWD is usually also around 25%.
The trapspeed is higher in the Benz but the 1/4 mile time is very close so many other factors is also at play obviously since according to the numbers the S5 shouldn't even be this close.

The redesign should also incorporate the sport diff along with crown diff. This should make the S5 much better handling than it is now. In my opinion as good as it is, it still has too much understeer for my liking compared to the new B8 S4 which handles more like a rear wheel drive car with better grip.

Last edited by rieger; 06-13-2011 at 01:32 AM.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:51 AM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

The engines could be underrated but the trap speeds don't lie and any experienced drag racer will tell you cars with identical times are greatly separated by their trap speeds, iow, the S5 is slower period and will be even slower very soon.

With respect to the handling and diff...yup.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by RJC
The engines could be underrated but the trap speeds don't lie and any experienced drag racer will tell you cars with identical times are greatly separated by their trap speeds, iow, the S5 is slower period and will be even slower very soon.

With respect to the handling and diff...yup.
Trap speeds will show power/Torque but really the only thing that matters is the time. Why? Gearing, transmission, traction and others play a role.

http://www.dragtimes.com/compare2.ph...nName=Compare!

Here is another link that shows that the S5 and E550 has similiar 1/4mile times.

If we look at real world racing say from a light than how often are you going to go above 110mph? Both cars can win the race depending on the driver with such close times. If you take both the E550 and S5 on a track the E550 will have a hard time keeping up with the S5. Look at the following link and see what the S5 can do around the track and you will see it beat many impressive cars such as an M5 and E63 AMG around some tracks.
So what if the trap speed is faster if in real world applications the S5 is neck in neck in a drag race and faster on a track.

http://www.fastestlaps.com/cars/audi_s5.html
Old 06-13-2011, 01:57 PM

2010 ML350 designo, 2011 E350 coupe
I believe all those features and numbers are not that significant.
You should choose coupes with your heart, not mind.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:00 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Trap speeds will show power/Torque but really the only thing that matters is the time. Why? Gearing, transmission, traction and others play a role.

http://www.dragtimes.com/compare2.ph...nName=Compare!

Here is another link that shows that the S5 and E550 has similiar 1/4mile times.

If we look at real world racing say from a light than how often are you going to go above 110mph? Both cars can win the race depending on the driver with such close times. If you take both the E550 and S5 on a track the E550 will have a hard time keeping up with the S5. Look at the following link and see what the S5 can do around the track and you will see it beat many impressive cars such as an M5 and E63 AMG around some tracks.
So what if the trap speed is faster if in real world applications the S5 is neck in neck in a drag race and faster on a track.

http://www.fastestlaps.com/cars/audi_s5.html
Dissagree completely, trap speeds are paramount when it comes to straight line speed and the MB is a faster car, at the end of a half mile it will be a couple of car lengths ahead and at the end of the flying mile even further ahead; if you believe anything else you're simply fooling yourself. If you look at just times the Benz wins as a few less tenths in time determines q/m drag races every day and here the MB wins again. Please go ahead and believe whatever you wish, rationalize it anyway you want and go buy an Audi. Discussing this topic with you is like... , moving on...

Last edited by RJC; 06-14-2011 at 05:06 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:59 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by ELECTROVAMP
I believe all those features and numbers are not that significant.
You should choose coupes with your heart, not mind.
Agreeeeed.

Reading about what car does 60 .2whatever faster than the other, or finishes a track a secondwhatever sooner, and stats stats stats takes me back to when I used to argue this stuff endlessly as well. Pointless and boring as hell. If it makes you feel good when you drive it, it's gold.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E350 4-Matic Sport
My buddy has an A5 and the interior is very plain...even with the s-line package I think the E beats it hands down

However, the exterior with S-line pkg beats the e class coupe. It's smooth and sporty..just flows very well IMO.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:15 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by K-A
Agreeeeed.

Reading about what car does 60 .2whatever faster than the other, or finishes a track a secondwhatever sooner, and stats stats stats takes me back to when I used to argue this stuff endlessly as well. Pointless and boring as hell. If it makes you feel good when you drive it, it's gold.
Just like the E's great aerodynamic/COD boring stats among others you luv to talk about; pointless, boring? To some indeed. I'll tell what's boring, a 268HP E350 sedan that's seen on every other corner mostly driven by older women lol...It's not just about 'boring' #'s but when some here try to make a point(s) which are total BS and need to be called out on them. If you don't like discussing 0-60, acceleration etc (and why would you especially driving a non performance car like you do) then don't.

Last edited by RJC; 06-14-2011 at 05:08 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:04 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by alloutmk23
My buddy has an A5 and the interior is very plain...even with the s-line package I think the E beats it hands down

However, the exterior with S-line pkg beats the e class coupe. It's smooth and sporty..just flows very well IMO.
Yup, the Audi A/S5 is a more pleasing shape than the E coupe as I previously mentioned with the E being rather avant garde. The A5 coupe is nicer looking than the A5 cab, and the E cab is nicer looking than the E coupe imho.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:42 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by RJC
I'll tell what's boring, a 268HP E350 sedan that's seen on every other corner mostly driven by older women lol...
I'll tell you why that's not boring, in fact. Because you're speaking of a car that maintains an incredibly stylish presence on the road, even "despite" its very popularity, the very definition of "timeless". Not everyone finds it exciting to spend $100+K on cars due to the fact that they're so busy collecting dust on showroom floors, they're seen so rarely.

As for 268HP, if you don't need to drive like a toolbag on the road, and aren't hauling people around, it does the job fine.

Last edited by K-A; 06-14-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:21 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by K-A
I'll tell you why that's not boring, in fact. Because you're speaking of a car that maintains an incredibly stylish presence on the road, even "despite" its very popularity, the very definition of "timeless". Not everyone finds it exciting to spend $100+K on cars due to the fact that they're so busy collecting dust on showroom floors, they're seen so rarely.

As for 268HP, if you don't need to drive like a toolbag on the road, and aren't hauling people around, it does the job fine.
That's boring to me, not to mention 268hp lugging around over 3800 lbs+, the new engine especially for the 350 couldn’t come out any sooner

Don't know where you live but around here $100k cars are the norm (not bragging just the way it is, which can be both good and bad) I prefer cars with some excitement, great performance, great design and luxury, especially if it's my only personal car. I think the reason there are so many E350's on the road is people can get a stylish yet rather conservative mid size Benz (while not settling for a C class) with decent mileage and for a good lease payment/purchase price. Females, especially realtors seem to love them around here

Now with all that said the current E350 is a fine car and if I needed a quality, semi prestigious German sedan priced in the low to mid $50's with good gas mileage and wasn't concerned about performance, the current E350 would fit the bill nicely.

Enjoy the occassional bantering and more importantly the discussions here...gotta keep this forum lively and everyone on their toes. When I had my E55 the W211 AMG forum was one of the best I've ever participated in. The guys there had/have a very special bond and even went to the drags together to meet up and race

Last edited by RJC; 06-14-2011 at 08:40 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:48 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Those reasons listed above are always the reasons why Benz sedans have held popular. Great thing about them, is they have multi-personalities. A Benz Sedan can be equally conservative and rise to the occasion when needed. A perfect combo, IMO, as if you have something too individualized, people start to recognize you (can be good or bad, depending on how you are, experienced this with a previous car that I owned). As for the common demographic, it's pointless to let that mud up your view of a car, as if you think about it, every cars "stereotyped buyer" can be perceived as a negative one. To me, the E demo didn't really deal-break it for me, however, when I was considering a C63, its stereotyped buyer I have to admit was working against it.

It depends on your priorities. To me, the E design and experience was more exciting than anything I cross shopped, and that includes high performance cars that would be more uncomfortable but have performance bragging rights that I'd never get to really experience day to day anyway. "Excitement" is subjective to the person. ".2 seconds faster, blah blah" Car stat bantering is about the boring'est thing that I can think of, and I used to do it endlessly. But of course, it's something many do a lot. If I had a Camaro, I'd probably be on their boards ranting away at someone who's a smidge faster to 60 than me.

You brought up Drag Coefficient, to me, that is actually is pretty fascinating, as there are many factors that make up a coefficient design, things that are naked to your eye, as well as design characteristics on the car, and these are things that are in are working for you during most of the time that you're driving the car. What's also fascinating, is that the W212 gets an outstanding .25 rating whilst maintaining a stately Sedan appearance. To me, that's more interesting than whether it does 0-60 in 5.5 or 6.5 seconds.... Neither are going to make the hairs on your back stand up anyway.

Last edited by K-A; 06-14-2011 at 08:52 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:30 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Camaro's lol, you should spend some time on the AMG forums.

One can buy an MB or other marque that does it all, make those little hairs you refer to stand up all over your body and not just from acceleration that pins you to the back of the seat but glorious engine exhaust music, sublime handling all with a smooth comfortable ride, luxurious ambiance/appointments and sumptuous looks; you will not get all this in an E350, but different strokes for different folks...

Last edited by RJC; 06-14-2011 at 09:34 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:42 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Believe me, I know. I passed up a few AMG's to spend more money on a (Brand New) E350. My racing days are done, and although I certainly wouldn't turn down more power, it just isn't in the running for me (with this car). Don't knock bonafide Muscle-Cars 'till you've tried them! Sure they aren't as all-in-one as an AMG, but I kind of like cars that are extreme in one aspect, even if lacking in another. If my spending budget was higher, sure I would opt for the AMG, but I don't feel like I'm missing out without it. However, I have my own gauge for cars. The fact that the most appealing thing about the E63 that I really want is the headlights with the matte black inner housings and alcantara headliner (differentiated front bumper doesn't hurt either, although I should stress that I don't really think it looks "better" than the Sport W212's, as much as more individualized) should tell you something.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:56 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

The new 550 with appearance pkg could be a great compromise for you. I was ready to do the new 550 cab which hit almost all the magic buttons accept for the true cooled seats I need for my spinal injury which lead me to the Jag, once there after driving the XK then the R I lost all sensibilty and ordered the R. I also could have bought an11R well below invoice but I had to have those new lights and other goodies; *******s, always know how to hook us...
Old 06-14-2011, 10:04 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Yes they do. I am training myself to not sweat the changes and just enjoy what I got, but it gets difficult.

The E550 would have been an ultimate choice for me. Given equal pricing, I would have certainly opted for it. I did drive 550's back to back with the 350's, and I didn't notice a huge difference, simply due to the fact that I test drove it exactly how I drive it in the real world: Cruisingly. However, of course I wouldn't mind the extra horses chilling in that engine bay, especially considering MPG isn't all that catastrophically different. Also, NOTHING beats the sound of a well done V8, and that is probably a bigger selling point than power to me..... Then again, I'd fight the battle of uncorking the exhaust, which IMO is a pretty pointless and foolish thing to do to an E-Class (again, the appropriation thing).
Old 06-14-2011, 11:08 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Wasn't knocking muscle cars just thought you only meant guys with camaro type cars cared about 0-60, speed etc.

I like to keep my cars stock if at all possible so I wouldn't mess with the exhaust either.
In 09 I almost bought a new SL63 as they were $40k off sticker due to the credit crisis and huge trunk money but the exhaust was just way too loud with the top down, even louder than my E55's; sometimes enough is enough. Fortunately the Jags growl was just right or I would have passed. I also like the sound of the current 550, just about perfect. I am curious to hear the new mb 6, I bet it sounds pretty good for a V6.

Last edited by RJC; 06-14-2011 at 11:11 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:19 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

I want to hear the new 6 too. The current 6 actually has one of the deeper growls I've heard from a non hi-po V6. One of the auto rags described it as a "Baby Ferrari howl" or something like that, when it first debuted. Also, I've heard some exhaust setups of it that shockingly akin to a V8 (I've also heard some setups that sound like crap).
Old 06-14-2011, 11:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'14 ML350 GONE-'12 GL450/'10 E550/'10 ML350/'09 C300/'07 ML350/'03 E320
Originally Posted by RJC
Females, especially realtors seem to love them around here
Ouch, that hurts...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Audi A5 Coupe vs MB E350 Coupe