E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

E350 extended service & prepaid maintenance?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Datsun B210
E350 extended service & prepaid maintenance?

I've put a deposit down on an e350 (more about that later). The finance guy is offering me extended warranty and prepaid maintenance packages. I've done a search here and read through the posts that come up, but I wanted to see what others are paying (or being offered) for these on 2010 e350's. I've contacted Courtesy Motors in Chico (as per other threads) to see what they have to offer. They look pretty good, but my dealer has gotten very close to them (better in at least one case)

For 5yr/75k and 6yr/75k extended warranties, my dealer wants $2500 and $2885, respectively. I drive about 10k miles per year, so the 75k limit is fine.

Concerning the prepaid maintenance, both Courtesy and my dealer have a flat rate of $1809 for 5yrs prepaid maintenance. However, they've given me slightly different info concerning the package:

* Courtesy said that includes everything, including wiper blades, etc. My dealer says that doesn't include wiper blades, brake pads, tires, but does include fluids. From what I've seen online, I think my dealer is correct.

* Courtesy says that the e350 now only needs a scheduled maintenance every 15k miles -- for a total of 3 trips to the dealer in 5 years. My dealer says that, since we're in the northeast (upstate NY), we need scheduled maintenance every 10k miles -- or 5 trips to the dealer in 5 years.

So... I'd appreciate any info on the following:

* Are the quoted extended warranty prices reasonable?

* What does the prepaid maintenance include in your area? and what is the interval (10k or 15k) under the plan you were offered?

* Have you found either of these programs to be useful/worth it?

Thanks.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
imho, sit tight for now. You're covered under factory warranty. If you decide to hold on to the car, then you can always add the ELW later on.

Maintenance will be minimal during those years. Again, imho, just pay as you go. Keep the rest of the money in your pocket.

There's a reason why they sell these add-ons. And it's not to look out for your well-being. Just always remember: this is a profit making business.

Again, just my 2 cents (although I've owned many new cars and never left the dealer with any add-ons from the finance office. And life has been good. )
Old 11-16-2009, 08:56 AM

Datsun B210
thanks. I think I'll definitely skip the prepaid maintenance.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:45 AM

2010 E550 Iridium Silver ; black int; burl walnut; rear & roof spoilers
Originally Posted by ocellaris
thanks. I think I'll definitely skip the prepaid maintenance.
i didnt pay for any prepaid maintenance either ........i did get the extended warranty though because it's cheaper up front here {|$3400 Cdn?}.......if i buy it later apparently price is higher & have to pay to have dealer inspect & ok the car as eligible for it .....
Old 11-17-2009, 10:03 AM

Datsun B210
Well, I was just talking with the finance guy about the extended warranty. He again tried to sell me on the prepaid maintenance. According to him, it's a 20% savings over paying as you go.

Just to check, I called his service department and another one 60min away. Both stated there would be five services over five years: A, B, A, B, A. The local dealer was a little less per service: $1025 total over five years ($149 for an A, $289 for a B). The other totaled $1180 over five years ($180 for an A, $320 for a B). Both are substantially less than the $1809 5-yr prepaid maintenance plan.

Of course, it could very well be that the service centers were low-balling me. It could also be that service costs will go way up once the economy rebounds. However, the $1809 was supposed to represent a 20% savings over the pay-as-you-go route. Maybe on average across the US. Not here.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts
2023 Range Rover, 2020 MB S450
Basically, what service does - changing oil...I did service A and B on my car and did not see any other serious work they did ( oh..sorry.. rotate tires). You may go to any local shop to change oil and it cost double less.
The only visible job they did - they reset service message that comes up every time you start the car. I wouldn't buy that plan.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E350
I personally would NOT buy any pre-paid maintainence plan either, but that's me. According to my calculations, it's not worth it (especially with so many dealerships running promotions or issuing coupons for Service A & B now), and from what I'm told, these pre-paid maintainence plans DO NOT cover any wear-and-tear items above what normally gets replaced at these services (which includes brakes, rotors, and tires... the 3 most expensive wear-and-tear items that are "used" and "worn" the most).

As for extended warranty, if you're planning on getting a GENUINE MB Extended Warranty anyway in the future, I'd buy it within 30 days of your purchase, simply because it's cheaper up-front. After 30 days, you'll be charged a surcharge (additional 15% I believe) and maybe dinged on additional fees as well (I'm not sure).

The beauty of GENUINE MB Extended Warranties is that if you're still within your factory warranty period (4yr/50K), and decide NOT to get it, you can cancel it for a 100% full refund (but check with a reliable MB dealership if this is still the case... it was when I bought mine, but these things change from time-to-time). You really have nothing to lose if this is the case (well, except for MB holding your money for up to 4yrs/50K miles until you decide to cancel the warranty.

As for 3rd party extended warranties sold by MB dealerships, this may not be the case.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:28 AM

2010 E550 Iridium Silver ; black int; burl walnut; rear & roof spoilers
[quote=chokaay;3813153]I personally would NOT buy any pre-paid maintainence plan either, but that's me. According to my calculations, it's not worth it (especially with so many dealerships running promotions or issuing coupons for Service A & B now), and from what I'm told, these pre-paid maintainence plans DO NOT cover any wear-and-tear items above what normally gets replaced at these services (which includes brakes, rotors, and tires... the 3 most expensive wear-and-tear items that are "used" and "worn" the most).

As for extended warranty, if you're planning on getting a GENUINE MB Extended Warranty anyway in the future, I'd buy it within 30 days of your purchase, simply because it's cheaper up-front. After 30 days, you'll be charged a surcharge (additional 15% I believe) and maybe dinged on additional fees as well (I'm not sure).

up here [ vancouver, canada] i didnt encounter any offer of pre paid mntce - wouldnt have bought it if it was ......with the MB warranty i did buy it when i bought the car since after it costs more plus an inspection fee ..... was around 15% if buy it at end of factory warranty period expires & inspection fee of around $300-400 ....i am glad i got it for the peace of mind since i did a cash purchase & got add ons .... the extra $3500 is well worth it in my mind when spending that kind of money ...
Old 11-18-2009, 08:53 AM

2010 e350 4matic
What does an MB extended warrant cover/ NOT cover? Very little documentation on the MBUSA site. thanks
Old 11-18-2009, 09:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E350 Sport 4Matic - P2 & Drivers Assist / 2010 C300 Sport 4Matic - P2 / 2013 Porsche Cayenne S
Originally Posted by 220S
imho, sit tight for now. You're covered under factory warranty. If you decide to hold on to the car, then you can always add the ELW later on.

Maintenance will be minimal during those years. Again, imho, just pay as you go. Keep the rest of the money in your pocket.

There's a reason why they sell these add-ons. And it's not to look out for your well-being. Just always remember: this is a profit making business.

Again, just my 2 cents (although I've owned many new cars and never left the dealer with any add-ons from the finance office. And life has been good. )
I agree with what 220S said. You are covered by a factory warranty so that should be enough for now. When your factory warranty is about to run out then you can start thinking about getting an extended warranty.

The only thing I would look into, depending on if your dealership offers this or not, is tire and wheel protection. When I got my car I paid $500 or $800 extra (don't remember exactly; sorry) for a lifetime warranty on my wheels and tires. If I get a puncture and need to replace a tire it's free. If I scruff up my rims I can get them fixed up for free. If I crack a rim I get a replacement for free. I live in NJ where the roads are full of potholes so this was a no brainer for me. If you live in an area where the roads are not of the best quality you might want to take a look at this to offer you a piece of mind.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:49 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
2003 E500, 2004 G35X
MB warranty price is very much negotiable. You can shop for it online from other MB dealers.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 C230
I was at a dealer today (So Cal). MB extended warranty must be purchased within 30 days or there is 15% surcharge if you want to buy it after 30 days. If you don't want it within 4 years (sold your car, totaled etc), MBUSA will refund it back to you (less $25 fee). Same to any unused portion of it (5 years old car and you bought 7 years = 2 years unused).

Costco member gets $500 off until end of this year. Any one bought 7 years 75,000 miles? Price?
Old 11-23-2009, 02:06 PM

Datsun B210
Pulled the trigger

Well, I pulled the trigger and picked up my 2010 E350 4matic today.

I went ahead and purchased the 6yrs/75k extended warranty for $2800 and the 5yr Tire/Wheel Plus package for $865. We have horrific potholes here in upstate NY. (e.g., Last winter I blew a tire.)
Old 11-23-2009, 02:06 PM

Datsun B210
Oh, and thanks to everyone who replied. This has been very helpful. In fact, I didn't know about the Tire/Wheel protection until someone mentioned it.

thanks again.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts
2023 Range Rover, 2020 MB S450
Originally Posted by ocellaris
Oh, and thanks to everyone who replied. This has been very helpful. In fact, I didn't know about the Tire/Wheel protection until someone mentioned it.

thanks again.
Tire insurance is a must option if you get Sport package.
I bought aftermarket tire and wheel protection ( NDS Ins ) for my current 2008 E for $380 for the term of my lease and was very satisfied with that purchase. I changed 4 tires during my 23 months of lease - each tire cost about $240. I desided not to buy wheel insurance for my new car, but only tire insurance, which cost about $200 for 39 months of my lease. I never had a problems with rims in my life, so I think I'll skip it this time.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:05 PM

MBE550
Hi

I had not heard that there is a deal using the Costco membership on an extended warranty buy for the car? Is this definitive, and how does it work?

Also, has any one bought the MB 7 years 75,000 miles extended warranty(E550), and if so please advise the cost and if this discount can be applied?

Thanks in advance for any inputs.