E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Break-in Period Advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2009 | 06:58 PM

C350 Elegance
Smile

Engine oil from the factory is 100% synthetic and will reach the top of the valves almost instantly but, transmission, differential, and other moving parts of the drive train also need lubrication and will take longer than the motor oil to reach operating temperature.
So, #1 corollary: Start the engine, get the car in gear and go smooth and easy till warm-up is complete (about 5 minutes, gauge at 140 deg.F).

It's fortunate to face a highway trip to start the new car so you should place the transmission in C, and once it warmed-up go smooth on the acceleration and do not surpass 4800 rpm for the first 1000 miles. Anyway, go at highway speeds without rabbit accelerations or abrupt maneuvering and breaking. (Do not surpass a sustained 100 mph). Vary your speed often to prevent the piston travel to take a set, and do not drive at speeds so low that will glaze the piston bores. Also, when you get into stop and go, heavy traffic or on hilly roads change from C to S drive (C drive starts in 2nd gear and progress to 7th gear; S drive starts in 1st gear and progress to 6th gear.)

I used this practice, read and professionally recommended to me, and worked like a charm. I also was fortunate to face a 500 mile highway drive out from the delivering dealership, which enabled me to play with the recommended variables. Also, I changed oil and filter at close to 5000 miles and the filter was very contaminated. The oil was dark but still had fair lubricating properties; I did not find out about additives depletion.

So no pedal to the metal and enjoy the drive. JV

Old 11-22-2009 | 07:00 PM

E220 CDI W212
Originally Posted by norb
Internet=BS
And I read this statement on the, er, internet - so I should consider it as...

The same technique is recorded in 3 technical books I have, and was taught to me by a really good race engine builder. So, please make your list complete:

Instruction book: fact
Internet: BS
Tech books: BS
Race pros: BS
What I used to do, and see the results with my own eyes: BS

Still, it's your car so do with it as you please. But if you want to claim "BS", then you may gain some credence if you substantiate.
Old 11-22-2009 | 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63 AMG
Pottsy, sit on it.

AMG built the engine, its not a race engine, its not a motorcycle engine, its not an amateur built rebuild by some back yard hack the professes to know all about engines. Its made by AMG! So yea, give advice on how to break in an engine using some BS internet source, but in the end the owner should heed the advice of the manufacturer of his $50K car.
Old 11-23-2009 | 02:13 AM

2010 E550 Iridium Silver ; black int; burl walnut; rear & roof spoilers
Originally Posted by jbean114
Hi all,
I am taking delivery of a new E550 (black on black, P2, sport) next week!

This is my first brand new car, so I was wondering if anyone has any advice on the Dos and Don'ts during the break-in period. Like what is considered the "break-in" period... 1,000mi, 1,500mi, 2,000mi

I know to be "gentle" and not to drive at a constant speed for to long to work through all the gears evenly. Also, from what I have read, I should not exceed 50% throttle for the first 1,000 mi, and then gradually work my way up to 100% over the next 500 mi or so, but I really have no clue.

I am picking up direct from the factory and will drive about 200 miles to get back home on day 1.

Any advice is appreciated. I will be sure to post pictures as soon as possible.

Thanks!
congrats .... the manual has a section just on this issue ......up here it refers to the first 1500kms .....you have a fantastic in-depth interpretation of the manual set out by another member above....

dealer just said to follow the manual's guidelines ..... i like what's set out in this thread ...
Old 11-23-2009 | 02:57 AM

E220 CDI W212
Norb,

I apologise. I forgot it was an AMG engine.

Good luck!
Old 11-23-2009 | 06:00 PM

2011 E350 Sport 4Matic - P2 & Drivers Assist / 2010 C300 Sport 4Matic - P2 / 2013 Porsche Cayenne S
Originally Posted by FEGELEIN
I remember this guideline from my CLK 550 manual and specifically looked for it in the E manual. I did not see it, did you read it or assuming it from another model?
Its on page 274 of my manual but bear in mind I have an '08 W211 E-Class. I don't have access to a W212 manual but I would imagine the break-in procedure(s) would be the same since the engine in the W212 is a carry over from the W211.
Old 11-23-2009 | 06:08 PM

2011 E350 Sport 4Matic - P2 & Drivers Assist / 2010 C300 Sport 4Matic - P2 / 2013 Porsche Cayenne S
Originally Posted by Pottsy
Norb,

I apologise. I forgot it was an AMG engine.

Good luck!
I for one appreciate your feedback in this thread and I appreciate the links you've posted. We're all entitled to our own opinions on this board and having different opinions make these discussions fun and interesting. Keep posting Pottsy
Old 11-23-2009 | 06:42 PM

'12 CLS 550 4matic
Originally Posted by LaicepsYdobon
Its on page 274 of my manual but bear in mind I have an '08 W211 E-Class. I don't have access to a W212 manual but I would imagine the break-in procedure(s) would be the same since the engine in the W212 is a carry over from the W211.
Strangely enough it is not in the new manual. One of the first things I looked for, since my 08' CLK had that rule. Quess the new transmission, doesn't need that break-in.
Old 11-24-2009 | 01:37 AM

2010 E550
Originally Posted by LaicepsYdobon
I for one appreciate your feedback in this thread and I appreciate the links you've posted. We're all entitled to our own opinions on this board and having different opinions make these discussions fun and interesting. Keep posting Pottsy
Could not have said it better myself!
Old 11-29-2009 | 01:57 PM

2010 E550
All,

Just to follow up, I did talk to the delivery agent when I picked up the car on Friday and he basically regurgitated the break-in advice from the manual. Basically don't exceed 4K rpm for the first 1K mi. He did say that it didn't matter about switching from "C" to "S" or using the paddle shifters during the break-in period.

Thanks again to everyone who provided input on this thread. You can see the pics of my new ride on the thread "My First Mercedes Benz... Simply Beautiful"

Cheers!
Old 11-29-2009 | 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Just be sure to stay off the Autobahn

Varying rpms and speed (as the manual says) is good, and no cruise control, steady speeds stuff.

City driving (tranny and other components like to settle in, too) and just a tiny bit of freeway driving, imho.

I did all that and my engine is very strong. Although can't ever know if it helped or not

But I did change the break-in oil early.
Old 12-03-2009 | 06:41 PM

C350 Elegance
Thumbs up

Not to be hard nose, but since this is not the first car for most of us, and similar inanimate objects are created equal obeying the laws of physics, a motor of the Otto cycle having all similar friction protection requirements will take similar break in procedures to prepare for a long life of fan on the road (or a very short lived one at the speedways of the world).

For an engine redlining at 6000 rpm, 4000 rpm is 67% the top speed. For the AMG engine it is 50% (for red line at 8000). Nevertheless, any of this will enable going at any North American highway speed without exceeding the posted limits.

It is more important than the final speed, to be soft on the accelerator and to vary the rpm often (not to have the rings score a set point in the cylinders, but having them vary the speed at which they travel in the combustion chamber). Friction is a sorry witch...

Man does not live by bread alone, so why do I say that? The engine is the heart of the drive train, but all the other moving parts must also break in... Steering, brakes, axles, differential(s), and transmission must be worked out, with moderation.

For flat areas I'd start the 722.9..transmission in C (comfort) and then move it onto S (sport) after a while. Use all the gears so they get well lubricated and loosen up, not forgetting the reverse.

One last point: Everybody has read at one time or another that taxis or other vehicles that do short trips or are in stop and go traffic often, and vehicle who drive in unusually dusty areas must change oil at shorter intervals. Well, this tells us that this kind of driving (city and dry open country) is heavy on the drive train and should be minimized during the break in period.

These are my two cents. Cheers. JV

Last edited by JoeVal; 12-03-2009 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Lapsus neuronae
Old 12-13-2009 | 11:50 AM

Airforce 1
Well I finally took the plunge and I have bought my first Mercedes (I am so excited). It is an iridium silver E200 CGI Sport. I am going to pick it up on Tuesday 22 December. I am picking it up from a dealer about 200 miles away from home so I need advice on driving back to London? I,ll be on the motorway for a fair bit. What speeds should I be doing?

Last edited by pappilo; 12-14-2009 at 01:04 AM.