E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Copying music files to Music Register

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E550 4MATIC
[quote=listerone;4661589]I'm surely no expert on computers but I think that although they do the same basic thing flash cards and hard drives are substantially different.A hard drive consists of a spinning metal disk and arm thingy that...through magnetism (IIRC)...holds data...whereas a flash drive holds data without moving parts.Given that the hard drive also holds navigation data one would think that high temps wouldn't affect it.Plastic,OTOH.....

I certainly could be entirely wrong here,however.

I didn't say the HDD and the flash card were the same. I said they do the same thing, as you pointed out. To me MC, flash drives and the like are better because they will stand up to some abuse where if you drop a HDD you can mostly forget about retrieving the contents. Better yet they fit in your pocket and do not have to be left behind where they can be stolen or damaged by heat, etc.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2023 CLA 250, 2003 CLK320
[quote=joev11;4661745]
Originally Posted by listerone
I'm surely no expert on computers but I think that although they do the same basic thing flash cards and hard drives are substantially different.A hard drive consists of a spinning metal disk and arm thingy that...through magnetism (IIRC)...holds data...whereas a flash drive holds data without moving parts.Given that the hard drive also holds navigation data one would think that high temps wouldn't affect it.Plastic,OTOH.....

I certainly could be entirely wrong here,however.

I didn't say the HDD and the flash card were the same. I said they do the same thing, as you pointed out. To me MC, flash drives and the like are better because they will stand up to some abuse where if you drop a HDD you can mostly forget about retrieving the contents. Better yet they fit in your pocket and do not have to be left behind where they can be stolen or damaged by heat, etc.
Yes HDs are mechanical and prone to issues in a car where there is lots of vibration etc. I'm not sure if the unit in MB has actual physical hard drive or perhaps solid state. I never heard of anyone having issues with flash drives due to temperature. Its silicon after all and the only think I might worry about is if you left it on the dashboard with sun glowing directly as there is a possibility of the plastic misinforming, maybe. I would not worry about it when in the head unit reader. There is much more silicon all over the car as our cars are loaded with electronics.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
fwiw, I have SSDs in both my laptops. Prices are dropping as we speak. I think it probably makes more sense to set up one to attach to the USB port in the glovebox and format to use off the COMAND audio gateway, and play music files instead of using the HDD's (small) music register partition, or off a card sticking out of the dash (?)
Old 05-12-2011, 11:17 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2010 E350, 2015 S550
Originally Posted by 220S
fwiw, I have SSDs in both my laptops. Prices are dropping as we speak. I think it probably makes more sense to set up one to attach to the USB port in the glovebox and format to use off the COMAND audio gateway, and play music files instead of using the HDD's (small) music register partition, or off a card sticking out of the dash (?)
Ditto, this is what I did. My guess is that there will be larger and larger USB sticks to keep up with the ever increasing format sizes of audio files.