E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

electrical problems

Old 02-18-2010, 07:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
2010 E550
electrical problems

Yesterday my E started playing tricks on me. I was driving and all of a sudden the hood open warning started flashing red on the display. I pulled over to check but it was indeed closed. Weird! Then as I went to pull up to my driveway, the display popped up passenger airbag disabled...see manual. This morning, i noticed the distronic saying inoperative? My distronic was replaced 1 month after I bought the car. I hope my car isn't a lemon. Going to call the dealer tomorrow to set up an appt.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E550 4matic, 2008 MDX, 2011 335i Vert
Yikes!! Haven't had any of those issues. Good luck with it. I had a similar string of really odd issues in a BMW once and turned out battery cables were loose. Seriously doubt thats the issue here but worth a check.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:13 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Some things to check...as for the hood open warning, I have seen numerous W212s which for some reason the hood latch on the passenger side is not fuully engaged. Make certain if you open the hood, you pay very close attention so as to ensure both latches are engaged. Maybe just a bit of direct pressure on each of these areas when closing. The passenger airbag disabled light will come on if you are driving with someone in the passenger seat, they get out of the car, and you proceed on - assuming the ignition has not been switched off. In this case, the car is letting you know the passenger airbag has been disabled since the seat sensor no longer detects their presence. For distronic +, I have seen several things trigger the system to turn itself off and I think some of these could be considered normal (if infrequent) as long as the system resets itself to normal operation. Not sureif any of these will help but perhaps it some could apply in your situation. Good luck.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230 Sedan, W212 E550
Same thing

I, too, have had issues in the past week. The cluster did not light up and we got a mesaage aaying cruis control not available. Then a few days later we got the passenger side airbag warning you got.

I just took it in because the right side air bladder on the dynamic seat is leaking. The part is coming from Germany and will not be here for another week. I was going to have hem check out the funky cluster behavior then.

Like you, I hope this is not a sign of things to come.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:01 AM

2010 E63, Iridium Silver, Black, Dark Ash, Distronic Plus, Night Vision, Premium
Originally Posted by Steel.Grey.MB
I hope my car isn't a lemon.

I have a 550 Coupe, and have had no end of headache and frustration with very
similar problems. I had the entire panel light up in notification of various safety
system failures, apparently because of a faulty seatbelt module. It took a week
at the dealer to have the problem diagnosed, and the part brought from
Germany. Have a look at my other posts....

https://mbworld.org/forums/search.php?searchid=5139021

Old 02-20-2010, 12:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
2010 E550
I was going to take it to the dealer today, but surprisingly the car is back to "normal." None of the warning lights came on. I guess I need to keep driving and hopefully nothing goes wrong. Other than that the car is a blast to drive.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:10 AM

2010 E350 W212
No problems for me so far. By the way, does anyone know the license plate lamp bulb size? The manual doesn't say and I want to swap them for LEDs
Old 02-20-2010, 07:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts
2023 Range Rover, 2020 MB S450
Mine is 3 months old, no any problems so far, but one, that was fixed - rear speakers rattle. GL to everybody.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E550 Coupe
I have a coupe and they told me that rear speaker rattle was a "product characteristic". What did they do to yours?
Old 02-20-2010, 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts
2023 Range Rover, 2020 MB S450
I think they put some stuff between speakers and rear panel . I'd say - rattle almost disappeared. Sometimes it seems like I hear it, but when I move volume to rear speakers only - there is no rattle.
In general - I like stereo system in old model much more than this one.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:20 AM

2010 E63, Iridium Silver, Black, Dark Ash, Distronic Plus, Night Vision, Premium
Originally Posted by AJRDU
I have a coupe and they told me that rear speaker rattle was a "product characteristic". What did they do to yours?
On my previous car, the CL550, the right rear speaker rattle turned out to be a
cracked insulation panel BELOW / BEHIND the speaker in a most unexpected
place. The manager was could not hear the rattle but the shop foreman did,
and kept on digging for the noise - and found it. They had to make a part
number for this insulation piece before they got it from Germany.

If you can still hear it, have them take the whole thing apart, before you believe the "product
characteristic" BS.
Good luck...