E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Blinking Brakelights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 02:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
11 ML350W2 / 17 GLC300
Question Blinking Brakelights

Why did MB put red rear turnsignals on the W212? It makes it look like the brakelight is blinking from a distance.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Good read here: (scroll to the very bottom of the page) http://articles.mbz.org/lighting/amber/
Old 03-07-2010, 05:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E350
Originally Posted by 220S
Good read here: (scroll to the very bottom of the page) http://articles.mbz.org/lighting/amber/

That is a very good summary!

I have always been a big proponent of amber turn signals, and that was one of the reasons why I did not (and will not) consider the 2010 W212, W204, or any other vehicle (MB or not) that has RED TURN SIGNALS. Sure they're LED, and sure they're bright... but they are situated so close to the brake lights (sandwiched between them) that it can be very confusing to the drivers behind you and cause their braking reaction to be delayed (in accidents, even milliseconds can count). VW's and Range Rover's current red blinkers are terribly designed as well... even worse than the W212's IMO!

The NHTSA's thinking (on this issue among other things... such as their mandated crash test conditions) is archaic, selfish, and unrealistic. In fact, much of the U.S.'s vehicle laws and conditions are unrealistic and/or outdated (such as CA's regulation on foglamp use only with headlights).

Actually, many things North American organizations do and regulate don't make much sense at all (or make "less" sense than changing)... the most predominant example I can think of is changing from the Standard System of Measurements (which only a few countries use, the U.S. being the main one) to the Metric System (which most of the rest of the world uses).
Old 03-07-2010, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Eh, i've seen a good amount of w212's around lately, and i have not been confused between their brake lights and turn signals ever. Especially at night, when you see more LED's on one side than the other blinking? lol...

In fact, i've been staring at them in awe at how great they look. But i guess that's just me, and MB enthusiasts if i may be so bold to add.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:23 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
I used to be impressed by how "M-B-ish" the older models tail lights were, like the 211, where the bottom row was lit up for normal lighting, then the turns were amber, and the brake-lights engaged the large TOP half, very safety conscious, and makes use of the whole lighting structure.

Then the 221 comes out and only the tiny bottom row is lit up for both regular lighting AND braking, very unneffective and doesn't make use of that big lighting structure. The cars to follow got the same lazy approach.

Just chalk it up to things that I feel M-B has dropped the ball on. Full L.E.D's are cute and all, but clearly some cost saving had to counter the extra costs of them, as the lighting units in terms of delegating different actions to different areas on it have actually gotten much simpler.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E350
Isn't this why cars have the rear deck brake light? As long as the rear deck brake light works, it's pretty easy to tell if someone is braking.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:24 AM
ipp

W166 ML350 BT
Still it's strange why they bother to make a different version for the US market when the row version would have worked fine, even better...

I remeber it was a lot of anger at the E60 forum when the facelifted BMW 5-series got from orange to red turn signals in the US.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:02 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Orange always seemed "Euro" to me too. Red looks cleaner, as it monotones the colors essentially, but definitely can't be safer. Given a choice, I'd say Orange would win out to me personally in terms of what I'd prefer.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:38 AM

E350
Originally Posted by ipp
Still it's strange why they bother to make a different version for the US market when the row version would have worked fine, even better...

I wonder the same thing, as it would cost more for MB to purchase lower volumes of both colored LED bulbs from the supplier than one larger volume of a single-colored LED bulb. If the LED bulbs are pre-built into the tail light housing (as I suspect), then it's even MORE COSTLY for MB, as now they don't only have to worry about 2 little bulbs, but 2 completely different tail light housings (all due to different blinker colors). Also one must factor in the additional cost/hassle/effort into separating, assembling, and controlling 2 different part numbers meant for several different countries as well (one wrong shipment could spell disaster for a vehicle production line).
Old 03-09-2010, 08:44 AM

E350
Originally Posted by K-A
Orange always seemed "Euro" to me too. Red looks cleaner, as it monotones the colors essentially, but definitely can't be safer. Given a choice, I'd say Orange would win out to me personally in terms of what I'd prefer.

IMO I don't think it would be a big issue, as 2 vehicles (1 with red blinkers, 1 with amber) would look exactly the same with the blinkers OFF (the blinker lens is clear for both tail light assemblies). The only time you would notice a difference is when the blinkers are lit... which is exactly the time you WANT cars around you to notice your blinkers. If amber blinkers gives my vehicle a higher visibility to other drivers (whether 5% or 50% more), then those are the blinkers that I want.

And honestly, I think amber blinkers look MUCH BETTER than red since all blinkers (front, mirror, rear) would be the same color (amber). I personally think that mis-matched blinkers (amber front/mirror + red rear) looks extremely tacky... like a guy wearing a lime-green shirt with a pink & brown striped tie.

Last edited by chokaay; 03-09-2010 at 08:47 AM.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:55 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Yeah agreed. I dunno what the 221 S-Class has (can't remember), but I know the lighting of the (pre face-lift at least) tails is pathetic to me. Giant structure, yet only the thin little bottom row lights up, even for brakes! Why don't they still use that top half as the proper "WARNING! I'm Braking!" effect. The bottom tiny LED's just get a smidge brighter when you apply the brakes as it is, a backwards step from the previous generation.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:51 PM

E350
Originally Posted by K-A
Yeah agreed. I dunno what the 221 S-Class has (can't remember), but I know the lighting of the (pre face-lift at least) tails is pathetic to me. Giant structure, yet only the thin little bottom row lights up, even for brakes! Why don't they still use that top half as the proper "WARNING! I'm Braking!" effect. The bottom tiny LED's just get a smidge brighter when you apply the brakes as it is, a backwards step from the previous generation.

The S-Class wasn't the only one that did that... the current SL, C, E... basically all recent "face-lifted" or changed cars use their tail light LEDs as brake lights too (ie: no completely separate brake light). However you are right, the S, SL, and a few others only utilize the bottom bar in the whole tail light assembly, which "wastes" the upper portion. Looks a little "classier", but utilizes less "real estate" which MAY potentially help reaction time from drivers behind you (no testing has been done to my knowledge).
Old 03-10-2010, 01:29 PM

'07 E92 328i, '10 E70 X5 (Wife's)
Originally Posted by K-A
I used to be impressed by how "M-B-ish" the older models tail lights were, like the 211, where the bottom row was lit up for normal lighting, then the turns were amber, and the brake-lights engaged the large TOP half, very safety conscious, and makes use of the whole lighting structure.

Then the 221 comes out and only the tiny bottom row is lit up for both regular lighting AND braking, very unneffective and doesn't make use of that big lighting structure. The cars to follow got the same lazy approach.

Just chalk it up to things that I feel M-B has dropped the ball on. Full L.E.D's are cute and all, but clearly some cost saving had to counter the extra costs of them, as the lighting units in terms of delegating different actions to different areas on it have actually gotten much simpler.

+1

I used to associate this unique feature as being strictly European; one bulb/cluster for the night time taillight and a 2nd bulb for the "brakes applied" light. To me, this is a better way of distinguishing taillights from a "hey, I'm stopping" situation.

Especially on the 221, it doesn't make any sense to me at all that MB would not utilize the upper portion of the taillight cluster for anything...it's just dead reflector space

My older (07) BMW still has the dual function setup, but as of late, the 5 and 7 redesigns are heading toward this single LED stoplight/regular taillight function. Seems like everyone is heading toward this fad after Audi first started it
Old 03-10-2010, 02:30 PM

'07 E92 328i, '10 E70 X5 (Wife's)
Originally Posted by chokaay

And honestly, I think amber blinkers look MUCH BETTER than red since all blinkers (front, mirror, rear) would be the same color (amber). I personally think that mis-matched blinkers (amber front/mirror + red rear) looks extremely tacky... like a guy wearing a lime-green shirt with a pink & brown striped tie.
+1

Mismatched turn signal lights look VERY domestic IMHO. GM and Ford come to mind with the orange fronts, side markers in the mirrors, and then the RED rear turn signals. Looks tacky...
Old 03-10-2010, 07:07 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by kl07rph
+1

I used to associate this unique feature as being strictly European; one bulb/cluster for the night time taillight and a 2nd bulb for the "brakes applied" light. To me, this is a better way of distinguishing taillights from a "hey, I'm stopping" situation.

Especially on the 221, it doesn't make any sense to me at all that MB would not utilize the upper portion of the taillight cluster for anything...it's just dead reflector space

My older (07) BMW still has the dual function setup, but as of late, the 5 and 7 redesigns are heading toward this single LED stoplight/regular taillight function. Seems like everyone is heading toward this fad after Audi first started it
Agreed. Frankly, a lot of the old "Euro-ness" of cars are disappearing, and things are blending in more than ever. Tails lights included.

Yeah, I just can't get over the W221's structure, pretty ridiculous IMO, huge lighting structure, but most of it is dead space when it comes to lighting. W221 E, W220 S, etc. have literally use from all areas of the taillight.

The face-lift 221 S I think makes use of the whole structure if I'm not mistaken, but it's now either fully lit up (like a Christmas tree mind you), and when the Brake is pressed, it just lights up brighter, better than before, but still could be more clever IMO.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:35 AM

Anybody know where I can order this Euro version with amber blinker? I am shipping this vehicle in less than a month and this red blinker light is illegal in other country and will be rejected during inspection.

Thanks for the help in advance.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:56 AM

FJ Cruiser/E350
Originally Posted by kl07rph
+1

Mismatched turn signal lights look VERY domestic IMHO. GM and Ford come to mind with the orange fronts, side markers in the mirrors, and then the RED rear turn signals. Looks tacky...

Exactly what I was thinking. I think it looks great. Plus, not really a big deal to me either way.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:43 PM

2011 E350 4Matic Estate in Mystic Red
Originally Posted by chokaay

The NHTSA's thinking (on this issue among other things... such as their mandated crash test conditions) is archaic, selfish, and unrealistic. In fact, much of the U.S.'s vehicle laws and conditions are unrealistic and/or outdated (such as CA's regulation on foglamp use only with headlights).
Canada, although a proponent of amber signal lights, does not enforce them, and in fact has relaxed a many of it's more stringent requirements down to U.S. standards simply to reduce cost associated with our requirements.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 119 Likes on 66 Posts
2020 G63, 2021 E450 All-Terrain Wagon
I like my S-Class tail lights :/
Old 01-19-2011, 09:34 PM

Titleist
Perhaps I'm driving without noticing such turn inicator colors, but I can't think of a new, mid size, mid market car with amber lights. I will have to be more observant on the way home this evening.