E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Black vs Black

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 Coupe
Black vs Black

I am going to be buying my wife an E350 sedan and was out doing my Sunday car shopping today. I looked at every black car the MB dealer had and every one was an 040. I'm really interested in what the Metallic Obsidian Black looks like and if there is a significant difference. I really like that little bit of extra pop a metallic adds but in the case of black I wonder if it might lighten or frost the deep black look. I would greatly appreciate any feedback from anyone who has seen or owns the O Black metallic. Thanks
Old 04-11-2010, 09:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'10 E63 Obsidiant Black; '06 R350 Alabaster White; 05 C55 Obsidiant Black (sold)
OB is the SEXIEST COLOR when detailed, under sunlight or at night- the shimmers do make lots of difference. IMO the lighting in dealer's showroom doesn't show the true color of the car, i.e. in day to day driving.
However like most of the black cars, it really requires a lot of maintenance. It won't be as sexy when it starts to show swirls.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:21 PM

E350 Coupe
I've owned an Infiniti Obsidian Black G35 Coupe since December 2002. I'm retired and have the time. Infiniti black has one of the softest clearcoats on the market. It recently took me six weeks and about seven products to get rid of every swirl mark. I finished off with Menzerna products and wolfgang sealant with a coat of P21 pure carnuba wax. I have heard that the German cars have very hard clearcoats which would be much easier to work with. Also pampering helps...my 2003 just turned 19,000 miles.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:26 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
W211 E320 & W212 E550
It's hard to use an anology to explain the difference or even try to put it into words. Both are gorgeous but the OB just adds an elevated level of wow!!! It just adds a deeper element of luxury. The sparkle in the sun is absolutely stunning and one of the better black metallics I've ever seen.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:54 PM

07 G500
I have a different take on the metallic black vs. non-metallic black.
I have always owned Black/black cars with few exceptions.
Metallic black is a great all around color without the big WOW factor when detailed. Non-metallic black however is striking and will give the WOW factor immediately after detail. The problem with the nonmetallic is that it will get dirty and lose the WOW factor as soon as you let the sun set on the day. Metallic blacks tend to stay presentable longer. When I put my basalt black (metallic) 911 next to the non-metallic E550, there is a noticeable difference.
I am attatching a pic. The difference doesn't come across very well on the photo. The metallic black (basalt black, Obsidian black, etc) almost looks dull next to the nonmetallic after a proper polish and wax.
Attached Thumbnails Black vs Black-img_9402.jpg  
Old 04-13-2010, 10:56 AM

E350 Coupe
kimf70...Thanks for the reply and pic. You've validated what I was speculating that the metallic might detract from the depth of a pure black. Does the clear coat seem to show swirl marks easily. Infiniti's Obsidian Black is not a metallic.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:49 PM

07 G500
Non metallic black is a real beauty when its clean. I got my E550 detailed yesterday. This morning when I was leaving for work, I had to wipe it down with quick detail and microfiber. it is a very difficut color to keep clean and look sharp. I don't recommend it if you are obsessive compulsive about cleanliness of the coat. If you plan on running it in and out the automatic carwash, its not a color for you either. If swirlmarks drive you nuts, its not a color for you. If your wife is going to be the primary driver and she doesn't plan on washing the car, it may not be the color for you.
Alternative is the metallic black. Its not as striking, but its black. I went with basalt black on the 911 for some of the reasons above. I was taken back however when i placed the 911 next to the E550. There is a huge difference between the two. Metallic pain looked dull compared to the deep wet look of the nonmetallic black. I have a detailer who detail my cars with Zainos, Griots and Rejex. 911 is only a few months old and E550 is brand new.
hope this helps
Old 04-13-2010, 07:40 PM

E350 Coupe
Happily as stated above i'm retired and have plenty of time. My hobby is detailing and most of my experience was acquired due to my black Infiniti. I have thousands of dollars worth of products, microfiber, equipment, lights, buffer. My cars (I have four) have never seen a car wash and are never washed in the sun and always dried. Yes, I even pull the wheels, do the suspension bits, treat the plastic inner fenders and spray paint the undercoated parts. My wife is also retired so the MB won't be a daily driver. I also always do a QD before I take the Infiniti out.