E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Windows tinted, speakers blown

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very FAST!
Windows tinted, speakers blown

I recently got a new 2010 E350 coupe P2, decided to get the windows tinted today. Mistake as far as choice of place. As I drove off, there was a short circuit sound then a loud hum. The hum continued even with the car off. I took it back to the tint shop and explained the situation. He repeatedly denied any wrong doing, but I insisted that the car is new, and it worked before bringing it in. Hell, its only got 21 miles on it. He then said that it must be a problem with the system itself. I said, have you never heard of a Harman-Kardon speaker system...he replied no. I have not taken it to the dealer yet, as I plan to in the AM, however could it be that it will just take some time to dry out, or will this be a major undertaking? I pray no of you have experienced this, however if so, what was the outcome? Thanks...Jamie
Old 05-04-2010, 07:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts
2023 Range Rover, 2020 MB S450
I think he's right. There is no connection between window tinting and speaker system. My rear speakers rattle from the day one and dealer can not fix it. Go figure ....

GL.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:41 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
W211 E320 & W212 E550
The water tinters use can get into speaker systems and soak connection, cones etc... My bet it would be the tinters problem. Sometimes they get the doors a little too wet on the inside and that water runs right down inside the door panel. I did have a problem with a power window switch when one of my other cars got tinted. It eventually started working once it dried out.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Serpent S966
Originally Posted by RNBRAD
The water tinters use can get into speaker systems and soak connection, cones etc... My bet it would be the tinters problem. Sometimes they get the doors a little too wet on the inside and that water runs right down inside the door panel. I did have a problem with a power window switch when one of my other cars got tinted. It eventually started working once it dried out.
The housing of the speaker should be design in such away to not let water drop from the top (from rain/carwash perhaps).
Old 05-04-2010, 09:27 AM
ipp

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W166 ML350 BT
Originally Posted by pwidjaja
The housing of the speaker should be design in such away to not let water drop from the top (from rain/carwash perhaps).
It might have been the rear window speaker and subwoofer, they are not designed for rain/carwash.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E350
Originally Posted by pwidjaja
Originally Posted by ipp
It might have been the rear window speaker and subwoofer, they are not designed for rain/carwash.

Not only that, but many tinters actually DISASSEMBLE your inside door panel and REMOVE the rubber barriers that keep out dust, dirt, water, and the elements from the inside of your door to apply moleskin or felt to keep it from scratching the tint on the inside of the window, as well as to be able to access the full length of the window inside the door to tint below the barrier's line. While this barrier was removed, it's very likely another person (or the same person) was working on tinting the window and water dripped into the door through the gap left between the open door panel and removed rubber barrier. If enough water dripped down (which isn't unlikely), then it would have pooled at the bottom of the door, which may have caused some issues (I don't know what lies at the bottom of the door... could be wires, could be exposed soldered connections, could be uncovered metal terminals, etc).

IMHO, this is too much of a coincidence to be just a MB defect in the HK system.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:06 PM

Very FAST!
Agreed. I did take it in for service this AM and had the MB tech look it over. It seems that the rear speaker was watered down pretty good and shorted out the amp. According to the Service Manager, there is only one in the country at the moment and he is trying to get it out of Cali. It also has an awful burnt smell in the truck. I informed them of this as well for verification. He didn't seem to think I was at fault, he just offered to fix it. The tint guy on the other hand, has been calling and emailing me like crazy since I was gone today. I have yet to speak with him.

Originally Posted by chokaay
Not only that, but many tinters actually DISASSEMBLE your inside door panel and REMOVE the rubber barriers that keep out dust, dirt, water, and the elements from the inside of your door to apply moleskin or felt to keep it from scratching the tint on the inside of the window, as well as to be able to access the full length of the window inside the door to tint below the barrier's line. While this barrier was removed, it's very likely another person (or the same person) was working on tinting the window and water dripped into the door through the gap left between the open door panel and removed rubber barrier. If enough water dripped down (which isn't unlikely), then it would have pooled at the bottom of the door, which may have caused some issues (I don't know what lies at the bottom of the door... could be wires, could be exposed soldered connections, could be uncovered metal terminals, etc).

IMHO, this is too much of a coincidence to be just a MB defect in the HK system.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:39 PM

IS 350
That sucks! If you don't mind saying, which tint shop did you get your tints done...make sure that I never go there.