E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550
Old 06-24-2015, 02:37 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Mercedes-Benz Star Service Pre-Paid Maintenance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 e350
Mercedes-Benz Star Service Pre-Paid Maintenance

Planning on leasing a 2010 e350 sport P1 this week (39 months). The maintenance plan which I understand retails for $769 will add $13 a month to my monthly lease payments. Would greatly appreciate any input on whether this option is worth it. Thanks
Old 05-09-2010, 12:45 AM

2010 Mercedes-Benz E350 4matic
The question that first needs to be answered is how long are you planning to keep this vehicle? I don't like to prepay for maintenance due to one reason only, that being you are now handcuffed as to when your maintenance is performed. You have to follow their rules and regulations about maintenace. I am **** when it comes to maintenance and go as far as getting my motor oil analyzed to see how my engine is performing and I doubt I can wait till 10,000 miles to dump my factory filled oil which who knows how long its been sitting in the sump. If I have a pre-paid maintenance, not only do I not have the flexibility of when but also who performs the service.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:51 PM

2008 e350
Thanks for the reply. I plan to return the car after the expiration of the lease, in 39 months. Quite honestly, I will not maintain the car more than recommended by the manufacturer and am very comfortable with the service provided by my local dealer.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by Fred979
Thanks for the reply. I plan to return the car after the expiration of the lease, in 39 months. Quite honestly, I will not maintain the car more than recommended by the manufacturer and am very comfortable with the service provided by my local dealer.
Just curious, what are the actual dollar savings between buying it ahead of time or paying for it as you go? What kind of a discount does one get for putting out the money up front for maintenance? And in 39 months, what do you think you might need besides oil, filters, and wiper blades (as listed in the maintenance book)? Especially with a lease, when you have to keep the miles low as it is.

I'm guessing it's the same issue with an extended warranty. The bean counters have figured out they make money off any of these programs, otherwise they wouldn't offer them.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
I never take the prepaid plans or for that matter the protection/additional warranty packages. I just pay as I go and the cost difference is negligable. What happens to your prepaid if the car is stolen, totaled, or the dealer goes away?? In most cases not much chance of that happening but it certainly could happen. If you save anything it would be just nickles and dimes.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by sosh
I never take the prepaid plans or for that matter the protection/additional warranty packages. I just pay as I go and the cost difference is negligable. What happens to your prepaid if the car is stolen, totaled, or the dealer goes away?? In most cases not much chance of that happening but it certainly could happen. If you save anything it would be just nickles and dimes.
I know the maintenance plan (like the ELW) is good at any dealership. I don't know about the maintenance plan, but the ELW is refundable if you sell the car or it's totaled or stolen. You can also pass it on to the next owner if you feel like using it as a sales motivator.

I might consider an ELW if I were to keep the car forever. But I wouldn't buy a MB maintenance plan. You could easily save even more money just by using an Indy mechanic for your regular maintenance.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:31 PM

2008 e350
Appreciate everyone's response. Quite honestly I dont know what the cost of the included maintenance, however, I like the idea of adding it into my lease as I get the write off and will be more likely to do all the scheduled maintenance timely if I have already paid for it. The below description has been copied directly from the MB site (based on the description I dont understand why they residualize the cost since it seems that it will be fully used during the 39 months of the lease):

Mercedes-Benz Star Service Pre-Paid Maintenance allows you to ˜lock in˜ the costs of the required services before your first service visit or 10,000 miles — so you can avoid unwanted surprises.
Plus, purchasing a Mercedes-Benz Star Service Pre-Paid Maintenance plan does not confine you to only one dealership for your service needs. The plan follows you, so if you require service when you´re on the road — or if you relocate — your plan will be honored at any authorized participating Mercedes-Benz dealer.
Protect your investment with Mercedes-Benz Star Service Pre-Paid Maintenance starting at just $769 for 3 years or 30,000 miles, whichever comes first.
You can structure this payment in a way that works for you. By purchasing a Mercedes-Benz Star Service Pre-Paid Maintenance plan when you purchase your vehicle, you can build the cost into your monthly payment — giving you a lot more convenience for as little as $10/month. Or you can choose to prepay upfront and in full. The plan may be purchased at any time prior to your first service visit or 10,000 miles, whichever comes first.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:47 PM

2012 ML350BTC
So you're only paying $507 ($13 x 39 monthly payments) for 39,000 miles of Scheduled Maintenance (2 Service A's and a Service B) and you're wondering if that is a good price? In a lease especially (since it is residualized) this is a great value vs paying as you go.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:28 AM

2010 E550 4matic, 2008 MDX, 2011 335i Vert
This does sound like a deal. I thought my first service (e550 4matic) was over 250 but could be mistaken. The rub is this, if you have the car in at 8k miles for other work (I had to have my adaptive seats fixed), its convenient to just have them to the oil change etc then rather than waiting. So I had it done and hopefully dont have to see them for 10k miles now. If I had prepaid Id have to wait 2k miles and then let them change later. Its just less convenient (although I am thrilled my dealers pick up/drop off service)
Old 05-15-2010, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 R350 & 2008 C300
The Star Service Maintenance package is an excellent way to cover your servicing for the first 3 years. If I were to do each service separately (A,B,C) at my dealership it would come to $887 before tax for all three. So locking it in at $769 would save me $118 bucks to start with, even more if you add in the tax. MB service is generally 10k miles or 1 year since the last service, so if you haven't accumulated the 10k miles yet, it will be serviced 1 year from its last servicing.

Also the plan states "Purchasing a Mercedes-Benz Star Service Pre-Paid Maintenance plan does not confine you to only one dealership for your service needs. The plan follows you, so if you require service when you´re on the road — or if you relocate — your plan will be honored at any authorized participating Mercedes-Benz dealer."

As a side note, my dealership sends out discount coupons from time to time to save half off the price of the service. Those coupons would cut into the savings of the Star Service plan, but not all dealerships do this and its really rolling the dice because you don't know when or if you will get a coupon when its time for your car to be serviced.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Inflation

First, dealers make the most profit off servicing cars, not selling them. So, periodic price increases are likely.
When I started looking at M-B's in 2009, A service was $200 and B was $300. Now it's about $250 and $450 respectively, so $769 for two A's and a B will definitely save money.
Question is will dealers raise prices in six months, 12 months, 24 months, etc.? Probably, so a lock in is a savings.
Since work will be performed by M-B Service Center, no question about warranty coverage.
Of course, part of M-B's theory is that you will be bringing the car to them instead of an independent garage and they may be able to sell you some other services not normally included in A & B service. That's one reason why almost all dealers have specials on Oil & Filter changes.
For me, its a no brainer since I no longer do work on my cars-and do not wish to.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:07 AM

w210 e55
interesting thread. just getting my father into a W212 and he's going thru every piece of marketing material on the planet.