Not a real complaint, but...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by petee1997
What I got from 220S is that better processes are used in the finishing of of certain components. He did not say they were cheaper components but better and more durable. I believe MB aspires to build better cars and the savings are in manufacturing, assembly and distribution. They would be shooting themselves in the foot doing anything else.
The latest wood trim pieces will last a lot longer than the older versions. Older lacquer finishes are the real weak link. Just ask the restorers at the Classic Center. For those of you "tapping" on the wood and assuming it's thinner because of the sound it makes, you need to take into consideration the backing materials used today versus yesterday. Lightweight aluminum and plastic injection molded backing materials are the current materials of choice. The wood found in older models was very thin, too (virtually impossible to sand without reaching the substrate.)

fwiw, Sellner has been around since the 1900s. http://www.sellner.de/GB/html/m_holz.html

As Petee says, costs have been realized with modern modes of production and distribution. There are also new environmental regulations that prohibit some of the older technologies.

Sellner opened a plant in Michigan (where labor is plentiful and less expensive.) They also use robotics and a new poly injection machine instead of manually spraying on (environmentally harmful) lacquer.

Sellner-Behr added a $1 million polyester topcoat application machine designed specifically for the BMW project to its 125,000-square-foot factory.
Dieterle said the apparatus, designed by Munich-based KraussMaffei Technologies, offers a more cost-efficient and environmentally friendly way to do the work. It injects topcoat material into the trim rather than spraying it, preventing "a lot of fumes and excess spray being released into the atmosphere," he said." "It's something our parent company has done, and they're transferring the technology to us," Dieterle said.The process of making a piece of trim takes up to three weeks, Dieterle said. Nearly paper-thin sheets of walnut burl, bird's-eye maple and other woods make up a "sandwich" that is forged into a more solid material with heat and pressure. Aluminum backing is added to ensure strength.
The raw trim enters a pressurized finishing room that keeps the dust out. At least four coats of polyester finish are added, and curing ovens evaporate excess material. Each piece requires an average of 80 steps from start to finish, Dieterle said. "They're works of art," he said.

fwiw, a subsidiary of Sellner is Angell-Demmel (metal interior trim and switch parts.) They have manufacturing in Kentucky and Ohio where labor is also less expensive. http://www.angell-demmel.de//default...62,264,266,268
Old 05-17-2010, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC
Great information 220S. I love the wood trim in the W212, I think there is a nice amount and good use of it. I only wish the Burl Walnut in the W212 was a little darker (think S-Class) and the Black Ash was lighter (like the Black Bird's Eye Maple on my E550). But these are design choices, not discussions of quality.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:19 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
The Black wood in the 212 isn't birdseye? Anyone have pics of Birdseye next to Black Ash?

I too find the dark wood in the 212 a bit too dark, and mixed with the Black headliner, a little lacking in conrast. And while I love the Burl-Wood in the 211's interior (more fitting maybe with the design and/or the white headliner), I think it's too contrasted and a bit unfitting in the 212's interior. 212 would indeed benefit and work perfectly with the S-Classes great middle-ground wood color.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 CLK 350 gone...... 10 E350
220S... Very nice post... Very educational and good to know post. I appreciate it.

As some people said it here.... Yes, Lexus does have more quality feel to interior and the enough buttons to play around for while....

But the looks of the Lexus.... Do you really want to drive LS over S or C over IS?

Yes... new W212 does look cheaper in some part than W211.... But it has the ambiant light every where at night it looks more luxury than any other car.

I do hope MB does change some of it's plastic to something else but.... oh well.....

Besides.... end of the day..... If you see our self in SC 430 and SL 500 pulls next to you..... I wish that I'll be one sitting in SL....
Old 05-20-2010, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by K-A
The Black wood in the 212 isn't birdseye? Anyone have pics of Birdseye next to Black Ash?

I too find the dark wood in the 212 a bit too dark, and mixed with the Black headliner, a little lacking in conrast. And while I love the Burl-Wood in the 211's interior (more fitting maybe with the design and/or the white headliner), I think it's too contrasted and a bit unfitting in the 212's interior. 212 would indeed benefit and work perfectly with the S-Classes great middle-ground wood color.
Here you go (212 pics are borrowed from ebay). I like how you can see the grain more on the Birdseye, it's more of a Grey/Charcoal stain on the wood, the 212 Black Ash is very dark, it looks almost like Piano Lacquer:

W211 with Black Birdseye Maple

W212 with Black Ash

W212 with Burl Walnut

Old 05-20-2010, 04:43 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Ah, thanks. I knew there was something about the black wood in the 212 that didn't quite give the elegant impression of the birdseye (I'm not a fan of dark wood in general, but birdseye does have a certain nice element to it, even to someone like me). Ash is indeed almost like Piano, some most probably like it, especially those who aren't crazy about wood, not really my thing.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:41 PM
ipp

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W166 ML350 BT
I like the black ash very much, exactly for the reason mentioned, it almost looks like piano black. Black ash comes standard with the European 'Avantgarde'-version, and the option to buy aluminum panels is ≈$300 extra... To me the opposite would be more reasonable.
Attached Thumbnails Not a real complaint, but...-alu.jpg  
Old 05-21-2010, 07:59 PM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
2020 GLE450 polar white AMG pkg.
Lots of useful information here. Appears that, for now, we will have to "accept" the look of the wood trim, based on the improved manufacturing process which will still look great over time. Interesting that using the poly injection system vs. the topcoat approach can change the look and feel of the material, given the same original thickness of the veneer. That said, the trim on our new MB's should hold up very well over time. Thanks to all for your replies.