E350 for a first car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 CLK 320
Originally Posted by FS3843
Jaymoney92: Lol... That's funny. But no, I do make my money legally and pay taxes.

Just because you weren't able to do it, doesn't mean someone else has to be doing it illegally.
lol well let me know! i wanna get in on this too.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 GLK350 4MATIC, 2006 SLK350
Some of you guys would have a heart attack if you came to where I live. I see 16-21 year old 'kids' driving new Bentleys, Ferraris, Lambos, Audi R8s routinely with their spiffy New Driver badges.

BMW/MB are the new civics here, seriously.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
Old 06-23-2010, 05:01 PM

2010 E350 1999 Ninja ZX7R 2006 Ninja ZX10R
No Bugatti Veyrons? Must be the economy!
Old 06-24-2010, 10:46 AM

07 G500
The car I am buying for my kids would have three things
1. Heavy (bigger momentum in case of a MVA)
2. Boring to drive (remember when you were 16?)
3. reliable

Buying an expensive, exotic, fast car for a 16 yo??? WHY???
Old 06-24-2010, 12:43 PM

C350
Originally Posted by kimf70
3. reliable

Okay.. Now its getting annoying...
Old 06-24-2010, 12:55 PM

2010 GLK350 4MATIC, 2006 SLK350
Originally Posted by kimf70
3. reliable

That pretty much describes an E350. So I see no problem with that
Old 06-24-2010, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
First car should be a used one, no matter how mature or good of a driver you think you are. It's gonna suck when you find your brand new E keyed in highschool/college, or get into fender bender.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 120 Likes on 66 Posts
2020 G63, 2021 E450 All-Terrain Wagon
No offense, but if you guys drive less expensive vehicles than an E class, it makes sense that you would be jealous... so please don't comment. Can we just let the kid do what he wants to and stop commenting? He was simply asking why to buy the E class, not whether or not he should do it at HIS age.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Ok, I'll be the ******* to call bull****.

Here goes: Bull****.

Now, Unless our 16 year old friend is a super genius or something and is doing part time programming for microsoft, I really struggle to believe his statements.

Ok, lets look at some facts.

He has 10k to put down (this I can believe)
he is ok paying $700 per month
he lives in chicago and can afford a home and the car.

So, he puts the 10k down (depleting his savings entirely?).

Now his payment will be $700 per month. His insurance will be $200 per month. Gasoline will be $100 per month.

Then, he will pay for an apartment. In the chicago area, a studio will run at least $800 per month. Add in utilities and you're at $1k.

so, that puts his monthly expenses at 2k.

So that puts his gross income at about $40k per year. While not impossible for a 16 year old, its very very unlikely, given school takes up most of the hours of the week.

what I could see is that junior took some money his parents gave him and did something like buy equities or trade options to generate some income, but thats hardly risk free.

For every 16 year old making $40,000, there are 1000 that are lying about doing so on the internet or have their parents financing their lifestyle (not that theres anything wrong with that).

I don't have a problem with a kid driving a nice car. While I don't think I'd buy my kid a brand new $60,000 luxury sedan as his first car, I see nothing wrong with a $25,000 pre-owned 3 series BMW or C-Class.

On the other hand, 16 is not too early to build wealth (not depreciating assets) and if this kid is really making that kinda money, I think he should save 50% of it, and use the rest for fun.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:05 PM

C350
Originally Posted by Oliverk
Ok, I'll be the ******* to call bull****.

Here goes: Bull****.

Now, Unless our 16 year old friend is a super genius or something and is doing part time programming for microsoft, I really struggle to believe his statements.

Ok, lets look at some facts.

He has 10k to put down (this I can believe)
he is ok paying $700 per month
he lives in chicago and can afford a home and the car.

So, he puts the 10k down (depleting his savings entirely?).

Now his payment will be $700 per month. His insurance will be $200 per month. Gasoline will be $100 per month.

Then, he will pay for an apartment. In the chicago area, a studio will run at least $800 per month. Add in utilities and you're at $1k.

so, that puts his monthly expenses at 2k.

So that puts his gross income at about $40k per year. While not impossible for a 16 year old, its very very unlikely, given school takes up most of the hours of the week.

what I could see is that junior took some money his parents gave him and did something like buy equities or trade options to generate some income, but thats hardly risk free.

For every 16 year old making $40,000, there are 1000 that are lying about doing so on the internet or have their parents financing their lifestyle (not that theres anything wrong with that).

I don't have a problem with a kid driving a nice car. While I don't think I'd buy my kid a brand new $60,000 luxury sedan as his first car, I see nothing wrong with a $25,000 pre-owned 3 series BMW or C-Class.

On the other hand, 16 is not too early to build wealth (not depreciating assets) and if this kid is really making that kinda money, I think he should save 50% of it, and use the rest for fun.
Well i would agree with your statement if I was on here bragging about what I have. But, I'm not. I'm simply asking for opinions on a car i was considering on buying. Then people began questioning me and I then told them I had my own money.

Now whether you wish to believe I have money or not is not even important. I don't care.

In my original post, I did not say I have only 10k to put down and that's all I have. I said I can put up to 10K down, meaning I would feel comfortable with that. So it wouldn't be depleting my savings.

Your also saying my gross income is 40k a year and that is impossible because of school, etc. First off, I make more than 40k a year, and obviously I don't have a regular job, and its not one that requires a lot of time, at that, so I can fit in things like social activities and school. I definitely don't have to explain myself to you, how I make my money or anything else for that matter, and I wont, BUT... again, just because you couldn't do it, doesn't mean I cant. Lets just keep it at that. And no, my parents didn't have to give me any money - as a matter of fact, I haven't taken money from my parents or even asked them for any in the past 2-3 years.

As far as you suggesting I save 50% of my money - I know what and what not to do with my money. I always have my future in mind, so of course I have plans to be set financially. I'm not blowing half of my money on a car, that's for sure.

Last edited by FS3843; 06-24-2010 at 04:14 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by NYCGLK
First car should be a used one, no matter how mature or good of a driver you think you are. It's gonna suck when you find your brand new E keyed in highschool/college, or get into fender bender.
ya. i found a burrito thrown at my windshield once in high school and that was a 94 S420 (back in 2005). i mean it wasn't permanent but it shows what some people would do.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
only on mbworld are 16 year olds earning more than 40k.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:32 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by Oliverk
only on mbworld are 16 year olds earning more than 40k.
Makes sense. Young guy makes lots of money, where's he gonna come to ask about the car that most people buy when they start making money (Benz)? Hell, at 16-21 every penny I made went into my car, and I was literally scrapping at pennies.

He's legit to me, not that it even matters to any of us. Aside from my convo's, something as simple as his verbal and expressive skills, especially on the Internet, really say something. I know that sounds a little funny to judge someone based on that, but on MBWorld alone, you see these apparent "money making " kids come on here, with butchered lingual skills, and ebonics talking their way into how "Balla Status" they are, at such a young age.

I do agree with the poster above saying what they'd want their kids to get into though.

I had a Mustang GT at 17, even with a measly 215 HP (300 TQ though is what really could get you into trouble), the character of the car got me into street racing, where I almost killed myself and/or got into major Law trouble, numerous times.

If my kid was getting an expensive car, I'd push that it would be the least "Fun to drive" in the sporty sense, most Luxury based, heaviest, safest, most Reliable car as well. Pretty much any Benz, preferably a V6 model would do.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:30 AM

07 G500
Get a 1990s Toyota Landcruiser and call it a day and close this thread.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:05 PM

E-Class
Not sure how many of you have been to your local high schools lately and I am sure depending on where you live or grew up that could affect the following statement.

When I went to high school back in late 80's, it was very common to see new BMW 325I Coupe and Convertibles and I am not talking about 1-2 but more like 100+ in the parking lot, they were some E-Class Sedan, and some SL even, and some Corvettes and few porches and Ferrari even. Sure I grow up in an affluent area but I know people who went to other near by schools driving cars just as nice.

When I went to college the same was true, I was in a Frat, and out of almost 100 frat brothers the most common car was BMW 3 series over have the guys in my Frat had them.

My nephew goes to the same high school I went and is a freshman and he tells me the most popular cars are E-Class Coupes and 3 Series BMW and about 1/2 of the kids drives 1 or the other, after those 2 models the following seem to be most popular cars Range Rovers, Cadillac Escalade, and Lexus IS. He says a couple of kids have Bentley Continentals, Porches and Ferrari's.

So maybe the OP lives in an area in Chicago like where I grow up and it is not uncommon for kids to drive nice cars. I also want to make something very clear, when I went to school everyone I know who had nice cars, got those cars from their parents.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sounds like my high school
Old 06-25-2010, 04:09 PM

2011 BMW X5 SAV
Originally Posted by gaazmon
sounds like my high school
Definitely doesn't sound like mine... but then again I went to high school in the Brooklyn projects so I guess that explains the lack of the Ferraris in the zip code. The guy claims he makes more than 40K/year while having lotsa free time, seems to me he can do one of the following with that schedule:

1. Sell drugs to kids -- in that case you better spend your money now since you won't be able to do that from jail.
2. Works in his parents' business -- I really hope that's the case.
3. Plays poker online/does Day Trading -- riskier but still ok.
4. Hooks up with old dudes for cash -- in that case he earns every penny of whatever he has.

Good luck and stay safe out there.

Last edited by Tymah123; 06-25-2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:30 PM

C350
Originally Posted by Tymah123
Definitely doesn't sound like mine... but then again I went to high school in the Brooklyn projects so I guess that explains the lack of the Ferraris in the zip code. The guy claims he makes more than 40K/year while having lotsa free time, seems to me he can do one of the following with that schedule:

1. Sell drugs to kids -- in that case you better spend your money now since you won't be able to do that from jail.
4. Hooks up with old dudes for cash -- in that case he earns every penny of whatever he has.

1. I really do not appreciate you suggesting that I must be selling drugs. I also stated that I pay taxes on my money.
2. My parents don't have a business.
3. I don't do poker.
4. No comment. That's just ignorant.

Now lets get off the topic of how I make my money. It has nothing to do with this thread.

Last edited by FS3843; 06-25-2010 at 10:33 PM.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:18 AM

E350
Originally Posted by Tymah123

#4 --> LMAO!!!!

To the OP: If you get the C350, only do so if you live in an affluent area. Jealousy from neighbors and friends that are older really sucks. I live in a very posh area, but haters abound because I'm younger than my neighbors.

I love my E350, but my next ride will be an E550.

Honestly, I think the BMW 3 series has a much more luxurious interior than the C class. Just test drive one and see for yourself. It is faster and handles better than the C class. These are the facts.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:24 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Agreed about the 3's interior. Oddly it's the BMW this time around that has a much more luxurious interior than its Benz counterpart. My only real issue with the C is that its interior is pretty lacking.

However, exterior wise I give the nod to the C, personally. Also to note, the E90 3 is gonna be replaced within the next couple of years I believe.

But the 3 does outperform and win in the numbers games over the C. BMW's almost always do. Benz should always win in the Luxury/Style department though (style being subjective of course).

Either way, with a Loaded up C, I think the O/P will have a sweet car he'll be happy with.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:16 AM

C350
EKG & KA,

Thanks guys, the BMW 3 Series something I will definitely look into before I make a final decision.

I appreciate the help!
Old 06-26-2010, 11:25 AM

E350
Other costs of ownership

With BMW you get 4 years of maintenance. All oil changes and those service A, B, C, and so on. Each service which really only entails an oil change, air filter changes, and visual inspections are ridiculously expensive. Come on! $450 for service B, really, are you kidding me! The stealerships will take a 16yo. to the cleaners.

I still like mercedes-benz b/c I do most of the maintenance myself and only go to the stealership for warranty stuff. I'm all about bang for your buck. Where bang = performance, style, safety, luxury, and reliability.

Small sedan --> BMW 3-series hands down!

Mid-sized sedan --> MB E-class hands down!

Large sedan --> Lexus LS hands down!

Remember we are talking bang for your buck. Do you guys and gals agree?
Old 06-26-2010, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 E250 BT 4M
Originally Posted by FS3843
EKG & KA,

Thanks guys, the BMW 3 Series something I will definitely look into before I make a final decision.

I appreciate the help!
You should check out the 335d if you are considering a 3 Series. Don't let the "d" fool you into thinking that this car is a slug. It is a very fast and excellent handling car, not to mention it's also very economical to drive.
In short, this car is a blast to drive. Be sure to take one for a good test drive, but be warned, 425 ft.lbs. of torque will slam you into your seat.

My wife drives a C350 Sport; there's no comparison in the handling dynamics between these two cars - the 335d's steering, brakes and performance are much better. The interior of the 335d is also superior to the C350.

BMW is offering various "green" eco credits on the 335d which turns this car into a bargain sport sedan. And as EKG1 pointed out, BMW pays for regular maintenance for the first 4 years.

Good luck with your purchase decision.

Last edited by DerekACS; 06-26-2010 at 11:56 AM.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:00 PM

C350
Originally Posted by DerekACS
You should check out the 335d if you are considering a 3 Series. Don't let the "d" fool you into thinking that this car is a slug. It is a very fast and excellent handling car, not to mention it's also very economical to drive.
In short, this car is a blast to drive. Be sure to take one for a good test drive, but be warned, 425 ft.lbs. of torque will slam you into your seat.

My wife drives a C350 Sport; there's no comparison in the handling dynamics between these two cars - the 335d's steering, brakes and performance are much better. The interior of the 335d is also superior to the C350.

BMW is offering various "green" eco credits on the 335d which turns this car into a bargain sport sedan. And as another forum member pointed out, BMW pays for regular maintenance for the first 4 years.

Good luck with your purchase decision.
Thanks for the info. I will head up to a BMW dealer in my area soon and take a couple different ones for a test drive and see what I like best.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E350 for a first car