Very saddened to post this!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 06:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by K-A

BTW, the E not being "Premium" enough doesn't excuse it for downgrading materials. And fact is, it is technically considered a Luxury Car, and the common folk of the world (or at least the U.S) very much view it as such. I don't hang around with ultra wealthy status snobs, so I can say that both my E's draw the "ooh" factor from many people. Of course it's a common Luxury car around here, so it's not like a UFO sighting, however I'm not saying it's a "rare" or specialty car, but it is a Luxury car, just a popular one, priced high enough to keep it in a Premium segment, but low enough to be accessible enough, i.e: a Mid-Level Luxury Car, where's the S-Class takes it up to Premium level Luxury Car.

Again, Mercedes Benz has a high cache, and certainly the S-Class isn't the only Luxury Sedan they make. I'm not expecting a Leather stitched dash, or Alcantara headliner at this price range, but I am expecting a new model to out-do the old ones in every regard, even the little details.
I agree that this doesn't give the manufacturer an excuse to downgrade materials under the assumption that nobody will care or even notice.

Although I try my best not to hang around with wealthy snobs, I do happen to work in an industry where they exist in high numbers. Some of them buy an E Class for their nannies to drive the kids around. I have a worker bee car.

I'd rather not stand out and that's also why I debadged the car. I do get a bit uncomfortable when I drive through rural areas or certain neighborhoods in LA because yes, many "common folk" do see it as symbolic of wealth. I'd feel a little strange in a S or CL. So for me I like that it's a common car here in most of CA and not that much of a status symbol. I bought it for its performance and comfort only, but probably also because it didn't stand out too much.

And wealth and status is all relative anyway.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:49 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Yeah, the E is a good medium. You can take it out and feel like you're in a nice Luxury car, or you can blend in with the masses, just depends on your perspective, and where you're at, etc. SoCal does happen to be swimming with E-Classes. But for example, just 260 Miles up, in Vegas, they're as rare as a Ferrari (literally, as you might see more Ferrari's). Vegas has a lot of sh***y cars everywhere, so an E, especially a newer MY, is not too common.

I too now feel the S would be a bit too much of a "statement" as well, considering the attention my E has gotten from some people I know. I like having a "lower end" car as well, as I can take it to places I choose. Also, to note, I don't look like the conventional "E-Class" driver, and sometimes I leave the house looking like just don't give a damn, and have gotten some interesting comments and looks from people who I interact with during those events, lol. As well, for some reason I've gotten some interesting Valet comments on my E, whenever I've taken it to Valet.

Funny story actually, a guy I work with who's pretty "wealthy", and drives a newer W221 with AMG Package, etc., saw my E, and about freaked out: "Is that the new E-Class? That thing is sweet!", etc. etc. He comes and checks it out and just admires it's "sharpness", etc. Was cool of course, but also a bit uncomfortable, as I don't want him getting the "wrong ideas", if you know what I mean.

Mercedes will always have that "stigma" to many non car buffs especially, for better and/or worse. I've seen guys try and act like they are rich hot sh** with their "Benz", when talking to people (especially girls), and end up finding out they have a C-Class. Funny thing is, a lot of "commoners" buy the whole shtick, even with the C. So I sometimes feel it's a little much even with the E, depending on where I am. However, again, you can also sell the E like it's just a simple, nice, common car, all depends on the situation.

Last edited by K-A; 07-16-2010 at 07:54 AM.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 998 Likes on 730 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Ok so I sat in my friends W212 E350 4matic today and thought that it was a pretty nice car. I focused on the comfort of the door and center armrest. I didn't think that it was all that bad. At least the W212 has a proper center arm rest unlike the W211's. Over all I liked the interior design. I like the broad pieces of wood in particular. The interior projects more strength and security. In all I think that the design of the W212 interior is just a good if not better than the W211 and contrary to most I like the tail lights better.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:30 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Interesting, thanks MBNUT1.

Yeah, I just want to say, I will focus on little things and criticize accordingly, but I wouldn't say I like ones interior better than the other. I think they both have their strong points, and depending on how you look at it, you can like eithers more better than the other.

I do feel the 212's is much more "strength and security" by a long-shot, and feels like you can take a bat to it and nothing will break. The 211's give you the vibe of refinement, and softness/elegance.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E350 4Matic
The hidden point of my post is that like me I think the OP is obsessing over things that aren't up to snuff. I was that way with my W211 to the point that intellectually it was a stupid thing to sell it, given that for what I got for it I couldn't begin to replace it with nearly as nice a car. But my OCD with the thing was driving me nuts. My best advise to the OP is to learn from my mistake and take a chill pill.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:43 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Yeah, OCD can ruin your life (or save it, if you can use it in the right directions).

I'm extremely OCD myself. Seems O/P is as well, i.e the extreme behavior of loving it unconditionally when he got it, then starting to turn against it as the smoke clears and he aims focus on the areas he doesn't like.

I know that behavior all too well myself.
Old 07-18-2010, 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
All a matter of choice

It is ALL PERSONAL when it comes to cars. I spent two years researching and test driving Buick, BMW, M-B, Lexus, Cadillac, Genesis, Acura, Infiniti, etc. Best one of the bunch was the E 350, not even close.
Yes, the trunk is cheaper than it should be, but I don't drive from the trunk. Genesis had this same criticism and Hyundai did go back and retrofit the '09 models with a full cover. Maybe M-B should as well.
Should it be better for an M-B? Probably.
BTW, I got mine ordered from the factory for $7,000 off MSRP for the P1 package. Add in the $5K decrease from 2009 and I'm $12,500 ahead.
The E class is definitely a prestige, luxury car in every respect. Way above the LaCrosse. Check any magazine or website and it is listed as a luxury car-no questions asked.
Sorry you don't like yours, but you should have spent more time looking at the car and test driving it.
In addition to complaining here, why not write a letter (snail mail) to CEO of M-B and let him know what you think?
Personally I think if M-B spent more time on design and engineering of their major models and less on introducing new models and high powered models, reliability would improve and these types of concerns would be eliminated.
CEO of Toyota said the other day that one of their problems with reliability is too many new/revised models too quickly.
Old 07-18-2010, 04:54 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Yeah, M-B is putting out too many products.

They're putting effort into successfully bringing things back up to speed, but the Marketing Depts and bean counters stronghold over the Company's moves, is not helping them keep their flagship models as perfect as they can be.

Back in the day, you just had the E and S Class for Sedans, and just a few other models total practically, and we all know how perfect those cars were for their time.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Cool US News Rankings

Just found this. US News ranks 2010 E350 #1 in Luxury Large Car class. BTW, I believe the newest JD Power new car study ranks it much higher.

www.usnewsrankingsandreveiws.com
Old 07-18-2010, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by El Cid
Personally I think if M-B spent more time on design and engineering of their major models and less on introducing new models and high powered models, reliability would improve and these types of concerns would be eliminated.
Agreed