E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Multicontour Driver Seat

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 sedan
Multicontour Driver Seat

I just took delivery on a Y2010 E350 4 Matic with sport suspension and drivers multi-contour seat.

My question concerns the multi-contour seats. The two switches closest to the rear of the car are supposed to operate the lumbar. Both switches seem to do the same thing, move the lumbar in and out but not up and down. In addition, the switch closest to the front of the car is supposed to extend the leg portion. It does perform this function but only about a inch or so. Hardly worth the money.

Does anyone else have similar experiences with these multi-contour seats?

Other than that the car is great, but it certainly does not handle like my BMW.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 S55 (SOLD, miss it every day), 2009 GL550
I don't have a C, but the thigh supports in my 2004 w220 seats move forward and back about 6" according to my "butt dyno". I never actually measured it, but it takes so long you think it's going to fall right off. I'd be surprised, and as disappointed as you seem, if yours had only 1" of travel.

One thing that could be limiting forward travel is if the seats are very far forward themselves. If I move my driver's seat up too close to the wheel, once it hits a certain point the thigh support will retract as the seat moves forward, like there is an absolute maximum for the front edge of the seat.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'11 E350 4MATIC
Jonathan20,

I have 2011 E350, exactly as you described. The two buttons almost have the same functions. The thigh support only barely move. The one I use a lot is the dynamic function and the pulse function. Compare to BMW, this is a much chepaer price.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
I saw some post complaining about lumbar support too. I have multicountour seat too and lumbar support switches operate correctly, one does in and out and other one up and down. Did dealer show you how to operate multicountour seat when you took delivery? Regarding extending seat deepness, I found 1” is sufficient, I felt uncomfortable to extend it to full length. My BMW seats could be extended approximately on the same length.
I didn’t find any handling difference between E350 and my BMW, however BMW is certainly faster since has 300hp engine.
Just curious why did you select E class over new 5 series? I almost bought sapphire black 535. However I decided tha having two cars of the same make is too boring.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:12 AM

'11 E350 4MATIC
The new 5 series is more expensive than the E. With the same options I have now, BMW will be at least $5K easy. Plus you can't go wrong choosing the new E-class... he he he!

Nope, dealer did not show me anything. They got my big complaint on that one and they apologized already. But, could figure everything out bymyself. Only my wife has difficult time to understand new features.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:44 PM

E350 sedan
Multi Contour Seats

Dema, can you tell me how the two rear switches for the lumbar are supposed to work.

I chose the E350 over the 5 series because of comfort and I hated the run flat tires.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:52 PM

2011 W212 E550
My 2 cents

Hello folks.....fwiw, I've owned both 5 series and two W212's. I enjoyed both brands; but my wife simply was very uncomfortable in the 5 series passenger seat (that was equipped with comfort seats). I loved driving the BMW but per the earlier post don't like run-flats.....in fact the most recent BMW I left off the run flats and sport pkg.....

The E class, in my view, is much larger inside the cabin....and I would rate the Harmon Kardons and Navi's about equal in both brands. I do prefer the massage function and dynamic operation of the MB driver's seat.....and if the MB did have this on passenger side I doubt that my wife would ever turn it on.

As for performance, my car has if I remember correctly, 391 lb-ft of torque and it will frankly haul the mail!
Old 08-21-2010, 06:50 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
2013 ML350, 2019 S560
I have the drive dynamic seat. The rear push button inflates the lumbar and the toggle switch ahead of it moves it up and down. It inflates and moves best if your back is not against the seat when adjusting.

However, every time you shut down the car, the bladders in the seat deflate. Thus, every time you start the car, you must reset each of the bladders (lower seat extension and lumbar). This may be why you do not notice much benefit from these settings.

The best part of the seat are the active bladders in the sides of seat when driving aggressively!
Old 08-22-2010, 10:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by blackbullit
I have the drive dynamic seat. The rear push button inflates the lumbar and the toggle switch ahead of it moves it up and down. It inflates and moves best if your back is not against the seat when adjusting.

However, every time you shut down the car, the bladders in the seat deflate. Thus, every time you start the car, you must reset each of the bladders (lower seat extension and lumbar). This may be why you do not notice much benefit from these settings.

The best part of the seat are the active bladders in the sides of seat when driving aggressively!
Are you sure they deflate when you turn the car off, I don't think that's true. I think you can set the seat memory to remember how you like the lumbar settings.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:47 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
2013 ML350, 2019 S560
Originally Posted by pmb600
Are you sure they deflate when you turn the car off, I don't think that's true. I think you can set the seat memory to remember how you like the lumbar settings.
Yes. My dealer told me this (for the drive dynamic seat only, not the standard lumbar) and I have confirmed this myself, on both the seat extension and the lumbar support bladders.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:29 PM
MCF

E350
Mine seems to be doing same as first post in this thread with regards to Lumbar support on multi countour seat. Both buttons seem to do the same thing, Anyone else experiencing this or have any suggestions? Does available adjustment maybe have something to do with position of seat, angle of seat, etc. etc.?? Thanks!