E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

What are harmful for health material Mercedes uses, MBTex?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 08:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
What are harmful for health material Mercedes uses, MBTex?

I just noticed the warning, cancer and birth defects. I have MBTex so I am wondering if leather owners have the same warning. At least no plans for new kids until I get rid of the E350.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
C350 Elegance
Originally Posted by Dema
I just noticed the warning, cancer and birth defects. I have MBTex so I am wondering if leather owners have the same warning. At least no plans for new kids until I get rid of the E350.
The main danger from a car are fumes that can be emitted under faulty conditions or when things like seats and coverings incinerate. Children when babies are kept in their seats, while afterward they would not tend to bite on plastics unless they would come in tempting shapes.

Stay with your family plans, don't get scared, the MB is as safe as any car, or a crib mattress for that matter.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by Dema
I bought two new MBs in CA and both had the warning sticker. Both cars were leather, not MBTex.

I know that the airbags contain perchlorate. Also there's probably some naughty stuff in the COMAND screen. And naughty stuff in other parts of the motor, chassis, electronics.

I'm not sure if that sticker comes on cars sold outside of CA. If you notice, most public buildings in CA have a warning sticker, too.

Just don't eat any part of your car, and I'm sure you'll be okay. If I'm wrong, then you probably won't even be able to have any new kids after driving around in it for a few years.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E550 4matic, 2008 MDX, 2011 335i Vert
You still need to get rid of the Benz because it has no compartment for your tin-foil hat.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
Next generation of Benz may have the compartment, at least if Benz wants to keep profit it should be added.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC
This must be a California thing, I've never seen that out here on the East Coast.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 Coupe
Excellent!!!

Originally Posted by mg-E550
You still need to get rid of the Benz because it has no compartment for your tin-foil hat.
Excellent reply....very funny!!!
Old 08-22-2010, 03:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E350
Originally Posted by 220S
I'm not sure if that sticker comes on cars sold outside of CA. If you notice, most public buildings in CA have a warning sticker, too.

It's not only required for public buildings... it's required for many private businesses and residential areas too. In fact, I don't think I've ever entered a building in CA that didn't have this warning posted somewhere:

http://universityglencorp.csuci.edu/...20Brochure.pdf

IMHO, it's a good idea to warn the public about what potentially can be harmful to them... but once you get used to seeing the warning labels on every single building you enter, the effectiveness wears off significantly.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E350
Originally Posted by JoeVal
The main danger from a car are fumes that can be emitted under faulty conditions or when things like seats and coverings incinerate. Children when babies are kept in their seats, while afterward they would not tend to bite on plastics unless they would come in tempting shapes.

Stay with your family plans, don't get scared, the MB is as safe as any car, or a crib mattress for that matter.

It's not only the fumes emitted under faulty conditions... it's also fumes from the seats and dashboard when the car is kept outside in the sun and heat for extended periods of time... or even in a shady cool areas:

http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/aut...ene_in_car.htm

Even though the level of toxic fumes vary depending on the conditions and length of time (and may or may not get up to the concentration required to be "toxic"), I imagine as with everything else in CA (and the U.S.), manufacturers don't want to risk a lawsuit in the future (no matter how frivolous) and opt to cover their tracks with warning labels.

I know for the business I work with, we were advised to put warning labels on all products we ship out that they are specifically for OEM use and may be heavy (in case a warehouse worker or a thief gets injured trying to lift a 300 lbs 4' x 4' x 2' wooden crate by himself instead of with a forklift or pallet truck and sues us). Human stupidity (or should I say idiocy) knows no bounds...