Stalled In Water

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C230K
Stalled In Water

Hi,

Today is the worst day of my life. It was a rainy day in florida (Tampa Bay Area) and i was driving seeing a big puddle (about 6 inches or so) seeing other cars go through without a problem. So im going through the puddle and i notice to see that my car starts stalling out and it ended up doing so. I tried to start up the car a few more times (stupidly) but it just kept kicking over. I put the car into neutral and got out and pushed it out of the water.

Now the car does not kick over when trying to start it, it just clicks.
It kicks over maybe once after 1 hour of not trying.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Thank you!
Old 08-24-2010, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 428 Likes on 353 Posts
MB’s
Not saying this is the case but I did have a friend who did this in his 01 Lamborghini(I know I know different car) and the same thing happined. Stalled out. For him water got all in the car and the motor needed to be rebuilt. In your case I doubt this is it but you may of got water all in where the electronics are and disrupted something. Where is the car now? Im guessing you had it towed to a dealer since your 2007 car is CPO'ed correct?
Old 08-24-2010, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Likely that it ingested water in the engine. Looks like you may need the engine and perhaps all the electronics replaced. Hope your insurance covers it but if it is this worst case they may total it.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
6 inches deep? certainly not deep enough to issue any serious damage. So I would say that the car had some manufacturing defect.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Originally Posted by Dema
6 inches deep? certainly not deep enough to issue any serious damage. So I would say that the car had some manufacturing defect.
Perhaps the OP really does not know exactly how deep it was. Did he get out and measure it?? Doubt if it was what you say as so far as a defect. Suspect the water was much higher and the cars that did go thru had quite a bit more clearance then the Benz. The only defect here was the decision of the driver to continue thru the flooding.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:22 PM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
10 speed bicycle
Motor is hydro-locked. Anytime it rains hard we have anywhere from at least 2 up to 10 cars towed in needing engines. The rods are always bent, and 9-10 times the engine has a hole in the block behind motor mount brackets. The intake ducts are positioned low. Basically if you have a Benz or any car, you should not be splashing through puddles, unless your vehicle is equipped. (i.e. snorkel) Depending on your milage and the value of your vehicle, they may total it...just be careful, sometimes they fix it, but with a junkyard engine. In your case though that will not probably happen due to you're still in factory warranty, and the dealer cannot put a used engine in, and uphold the warranty.

Last edited by MBtech1098; 08-24-2010 at 07:32 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:22 PM

2005 C230K
Hi,

I put the E350 in the garage with the hood open to see if everything will dry up and work properly in the morning. That is highly doubtful though. I opened the air filter and i did see drops of water in there, that sure is not a good sign.

What are the odds of that working?
Old 08-24-2010, 09:32 PM

'11 350 4matic - '14 Stingray: Gone, BMW 530i, Porsche 944 Turbo, Porsche 356, Mitsubishi 3000GT
Originally Posted by Nikic
Hi,

I put the E350 in the garage with the hood open to see if everything will dry up and work properly in the morning. That is highly doubtful though. I opened the air filter and i did see drops of water in there, that sure is not a good sign.

Man, thats a shame. Good luck!
Old 08-25-2010, 04:46 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
2014 E550 Coupe and 2010 E350 Sedan
Originally Posted by Nikic
Hi,

Eek, sounds like hydro-lock. I hope we are wrong, but what you describe sounds like it. Water sucking up into the engine is catastrophically bad. I really hope that's not the case, but it definitely sounds like you should take it to the dealership/carshop and find out exactly what's wrong.

Was the bottom of your car, or any part of it submerged under water? If the intake get submerged, it can suck up water, and that's no good.

:\
Old 08-25-2010, 09:42 PM

2010 E550 4matic, 2008 MDX, 2011 335i Vert
I understand the hydrolock concept....but all of the air intake components are on top of the engine it seems. COuld 6" of water do this.....I guess you could have waves and sent in a surge of water.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:06 AM

11 E550, 05 NSX, 12 QX56, 93 Z32 TT, 12 CLS550
Nickic....
I'm also from Tampa. It's still raining as I am typing. You must have been in S.Tampa area where it always flood. Sounds like water is in the engine. Hope you'll work this through. GL
Old 08-26-2010, 12:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
His mama. Traded y0 mama in because she was squeaking.
Why don't you test the engine to see if it's hydrolocked?

Take the belt off. Put a socket (don't know the size) on the crankshaft bolt and try to turn the engine over. It should require little effort to turn the engine. Of course "little efford" is subjective. But if you have to stand on the prybar, then it's hydrolocked.

You can also take out the spark plugs and try to crank the engine. If there is water in the engine, you'll have a cool fountain for a few seconds.

If the engine turns over, with the crankshaft bolt method, chances are you're not hydrolocked. If you get a cool fountain when you take out the spark plugs and crank the engine, then.. DUH!

If you take out the spark plugs and the engine doesn't turn into a fountain, when you crank it over, then you have other issues. Likewise, if the engine still downs't turn over when after you take out the plugs, you may have a bad rotating assembly part, or a bad starter circuit.

Last edited by Sathinas; 08-26-2010 at 12:22 AM.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:48 PM

2011 E350 Sport 4Matic - P2 & Drivers Assist / 2010 C300 Sport 4Matic - P2 / 2013 Porsche Cayenne S
Something similar happened to me but in my case some jackass in a Jeep Cherokee powered through the water covering me with it. My car sucked some water in and presto the car was hydro locked. Push the insurance company to total your car. Do not let them try to fix it. You will have endless problems with it. Have it totaled and move on to another car; sounds harsh but at least you will stay sane. This is also a good time to see how much the dealership and insurance company have your back. Sorry about your ride...

You can read my story here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...long-post.html
Old 08-26-2010, 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 206 Likes on 132 Posts
...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
I am not familiar with the term hydro locked but I assume the engined is cooked. Why write off the car? Can't the engine be replaced? Is the engine so expensive that it is not cost efficient to replace it?

Last edited by petee1997; 08-27-2010 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:41 PM

2011 E350 Sport 4Matic - P2 & Drivers Assist / 2010 C300 Sport 4Matic - P2 / 2013 Porsche Cayenne S
Originally Posted by petee1997
I am not familiar with the term hydro locked butI assume the engined is cooked. Why write off the car? Can't the engine be replaced? Is the engine so expensive that it is not cost efficient to replace it?
In my case it was $25,000 to put a new engine in the car and $21,000 to give it a salvage title so the insurance company went for the cheaper route. You'd want to write a car off that has water damage or a water damaged salvage title because other gremlins will pop up in the car namely electronic which are a nightmare to live with and are virtually non-fixable. Usually dealerships are not happy with servicing cars that have been water damaged. Plus there is a slight chance of fungus and other nasties growing somewhere in/on the car that you don't want.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:26 PM

2000 E320 2009 E550
WATER DAMAGE

Originally Posted by LaicepsYdobon
In my case it was $25,000 to put a new engine in the car and $21,000 to give it a salvage title so the insurance company went for the cheaper route. You'd want to write a car off that has water damage or a water damaged salvage title because other gremlins will pop up in the car namely electronic which are a nightmare to live with and are virtually non-fixable. Usually dealerships are not happy with servicing cars that have been water damaged. Plus there is a slight chance of fungus and other nasties growing somewhere in/on the car that you don't want.
I do not know how high the water reach. The water level in the morning was up to the rim. It must have reach the exhaust. The interior was wet with mud. The water could have entered throuh the lower part of the door. The seat tracks were muddy. The floor mats and carpet were wet. The remote did not work. The door finally opened by using the door handle setting off the alarm. The first message after the car was moved about 100 feet was ABS. Then the car locked and would not start. About an hour later the car started with the ABS message. Later on the battery was displayed. The defroster was not working. There are a series of other electrical problem. I think the dealer is going to replace the wiring and all parts that may be water damage. The car may have been in the water for about four to six hours. I parked the car in the lot with a light rain and no sitting water. During the night the rain increased and flooded part of the parking lot at the hotel.

The vehicle locked and would not start and the display screen was red with ABS and battery messages.
The Mercedes dealer called yesterday. They are taking out the carpet and the seats. Then they will start on the wiring. It may be a week or more before the vehicle is returned. I am concerned about long term problems with the electrical system.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
Originally Posted by mg-E550
I understand the hydrolock concept....but all of the air intake components are on top of the engine it seems. COuld 6" of water do this.....I guess you could have waves and sent in a surge of water.
It sounds like the Starter motor is wet. With all of the intakes on the top of the motor, it is highly unlikely that ny serious damage has occured. I would suspect batter and starter.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:01 PM

2000 E320 2009 E550
WATER DAMAGE

Originally Posted by ImInPA
It sounds like the Starter motor is wet. With all of the intakes on the top of the motor, it is highly unlikely that ny serious damage has occured. I would suspect batter and starter.
I think water level was high as the exhaust or the bottom of the door. The night before there was a light rain and no standing water in the parking lot of the hotel. The first thing in the morning I noticed the water around the car was just up to the lower top of the wheel. The dealer states all new carpets have to be ordered from Germany. The battery and oil is okay. The seats had to be removed and most of the electronics below the floor board had to be replaced.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
Originally Posted by E2233
I think water level was high as the exhaust or the bottom of the door. The night before there was a light rain and no standing water in the parking lot of the hotel. The first thing in the morning I noticed the water around the car was just up to the lower top of the wheel. The dealer states all new carpets have to be ordered from Germany. The battery and oil is okay. The seats had to be removed and most of the electronics below the floor board had to be replaced.
It sounds like the water was consderably deeper than the OP originally suggests. Looking at the schematics, I see no way that water could enter the engine to cause hydro-locking unless the water was over 18" deep. Does the original poster have some sort of aftermarket Cold Air Intake installed?
Old 03-28-2011, 02:27 PM

2000 E320 2009 E550
WATER DAMAGE

It sounds like the water was consderably deeper than the OP originally suggests. Looking at the schematics, I see no way that water could enter the engine to cause hydro-locking unless the water was over 18" deep. Does the original poster have some sort of aftermarket Cold Air Intake installed?
The vehicle is stock with the low profile tires. The lower part of each muffler has a designed hole about the size of a silver dollar.

I think the water level in the car would have been higher if the water was over the muffler. The water did not reach the trunk or the battery.

The track on the seats were wet and the floor was wet. Some of the water may have drain out as the creek level dropped.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:36 PM

2000 E320 2009 E550
WATER DAMAGE

The carpet will be replaced with all the electronic below the floor board

The wiring harness takes about six weeks to be delivered from the factory. The part has to be made for the vehicle by the factory.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:54 PM

2008 CLK350 Convertible
Same here

Misunderstood my car for a submarine and now it is with the dealer asking for $13000 for new engine. I drove through one of those puddles after spending a night at this girls place whom i just mate, dropped her home. Just while making out huge storm strikes breaking all huge branches.

Storm calmed down and i leave her place as her whole family woke up and with frustration drive through this puddle. End up spending the night on freeway and a bill of 13000.

Hoping insurance will pay for it.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:17 PM

2000 E320 2009 E550
WATER DAMAGE TO ENGINE

Originally Posted by Soy11
Misunderstood my car for a submarine and now it is with the dealer asking for $13000 for new engine. I drove through one of those puddles after spending a night at this girls place whom i just mate, dropped her home. Just while making out huge storm strikes breaking all huge branches.

Storm calmed down and i leave her place as her whole family woke up and with frustration drive through this puddle. End up spending the night on freeway and a bill of 13000.

Where are you located?

How long was your vehicle in the water? Was the water level above the trunk or above the windows?

Your insurance carrier should cover your repairs under your comprehensive part of your auto insurance. You may have thirty days of auto rental under your auto insurance.

Most posting about engine damage shows the cost to be about $25,000.00. I am not sure you can buy a new engine for less than that amount.

I am still waiting for my vehicle. The dealer is installing the front seats and the restoring the dashboard. The vehicle should be ready sometime next week if there are no over problems found once the vehicle starts up. I think the insurance carrier has paid about $14,000.00 so far.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:20 PM

'11 350 4matic - '14 Stingray: Gone, BMW 530i, Porsche 944 Turbo, Porsche 356, Mitsubishi 3000GT
Originally Posted by Soy11

Bummer, sorry to hear that...but it sounds like an interesting story...Cut to the chase, was she worth the 13k?
Old 06-10-2011, 06:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Current: 2011 W212 Previous: 2008 W211 2006 550 2001 Rover 1997 W210
Originally Posted by BPhillyBenz
Bummer, sorry to hear that...but it sounds like an interesting story...Cut to the chase, was she worth the 13k?
Sorry, but most tail not even worth half of that.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stalled In Water