E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Faded Burl Wood Trim on "new" E350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 07:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
w212
finally!

After 6+ months of waiting, I finally got word that the trim kit has arrived! I dropped my car off today to have them start on it. I'm excited. It was starting to look really faded around the center console. I'll post pics after I get it back for comparison.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GLC300
Originally Posted by aeroconfigs
After 6+ months of waiting, I finally got word that the trim kit has arrived! ...
I've been waiting 5 wks. I didn't know I might have to wait another 25+
Old 03-31-2014, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 4matic
I have been waiting 10 weeks but the dealer said that 1800 kits were going to be released soon......I Hope!!
Old 03-31-2014, 08:55 PM

2011 E550
Thanks for all the info, I am going to take my car in. I got a CPO 2011 E550 and didn't know the trim was faded. Since I never saw it before the color faded pretty uniformly. It wasn't until I compared it to the wood below the arm rests on the door to the area by the passenger vent I noticed it. I wonder why they don't fix it on a CPO car rather than have you come back to get it done?
Old 03-31-2014, 10:27 PM

2011 E350 4 Matic
Took my car in and dealer has to get approval from MB Canada before they will commit that they are going to change it out.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:28 AM

2011 e350 w212
Took my cpo 2011 w212 in for dash trim in and couldnt get approval because its not covered under cpo limited warranty they said.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:36 AM

2011 E550
Thanks for the info about the CPO warranty coverage. I have about 8 months left under the original factory so I better get it taken care of sooner rather than later. It is my understanding that the CPO warranty covers most of the potential mechanic issues associated with the car but does not cover trim type items like the dash trim. Are there any other major differences between the original warranty and the CPO warranty?
Old 04-01-2014, 08:41 PM

12' ML350 4M & 10' E350 4M
Ive been waiting since November of last year. All they can tell me is that its on back order and its been ordered.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 386 Likes on 315 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
I just purchased a my11 E550 with 50,400 miles on it with faded wood. Local dealer told me they cannot replace under warranty since it is 400 miles over despite it being only 3.5 years old. told me to call MB customer care and open a case with them. Anyone have experience with them on out o warranty issues? Btw, the cost of parts and labor was $3,300 for all the wood in the car.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:10 AM

2011 e350 w212
I saw someone selling the wood trim for w212 in the classified section
Old 04-02-2014, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
Originally Posted by steventnguyen
I saw someone selling the wood trim for w212 in the classified section
Thanks I noticed that too. Unfortunately if it is not manufactured after August 2011 it will just fade again. Called MB cs this morning and they opened a case. Now wanting for administrator to call me back.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
Got a call back from MB customer care saying they will review my case. However, they didn't want to get my hopes up since I am not a previous MB owner (first one for me) and didn't buy it from a dealer. Made me feel a little low rent.

At any rate, will see what they will do. Can only try. Since the fading is more a matter of time with sun exposure it seems to me that being only 400 miles out of warranty shouldn't matter as much as the car in only been in service for 3.5 years.

Does anyone has a copy of the TSB? I've the posts here describing the TSB - just don't know if there is an official document.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:39 PM

2011 E350 Sedan
Originally Posted by thefisch
Got a call back from MB customer care saying they will review my case. However, they didn't want to get my hopes up since I am not a previous MB owner (first one for me) and didn't buy it from a dealer. Made me feel a little low rent.

At any rate, will see what they will do. Can only try. Since the fading is more a matter of time with sun exposure it seems to me that being only 400 miles out of warranty shouldn't matter as much as the car in only been in service for 3.5 years.

Does anyone has a copy of the TSB? I've the posts here describing the TSB - just don't know if there is an official document.
My MB dealer was hesitant to replace the trim until I provided him with a print out of the bulletin numbers. Once he saw that my VIN fell into the range, he was more then happy to order the parts. It must be a difference between them paying for the parts and labor or MB paying for it. Either way you might want to check your VIN and if you fall in the range, take it to the dealer again, or take it to a different dealer.

LI68.30-P-053962 – 212 with burred walnut veneer wood finish (731) or burred walnut veneer designo brown (w60) UV can cause fading trim will be replaced, August 2011 clean point.

LI68.10-P-050415 - 212 burl walnut trim that is fading or discoloring and VIN is between A000988 to A291888 cause inadequate UV protection dealer will replace all trim under warranty.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
Originally Posted by LasVegasMike
My MB dealer was hesitant to replace the trim until I provided him with a print out of the bulletin numbers. Once he saw that my VIN fell into the range, he was more then happy to order the parts. It must be a difference between them paying for the parts and labor or MB paying for it. Either way you might want to check your VIN and if you fall in the range, take it to the dealer again, or take it to a different dealer.

LI68.30-P-053962 – 212 with burred walnut veneer wood finish (731) or burred walnut veneer designo brown (w60) UV can cause fading trim will be replaced, August 2011 clean point.

LI68.10-P-050415 - 212 burl walnut trim that is fading or discoloring and VIN is between A000988 to A291888 cause inadequate UV protection dealer will replace all trim under warranty.
The SA clearly recognized the fade issue when he looked inside the car. However, he said all the ones they've done have been on in-warranty cars. They said once the car turns over 50k, they can't authorize anything and you have to call MBUSA.

My VIN is outside of the range of the second bulletin you posted. But the manufacture month is 09/10 which is within the August 2011 clean date mentioned in LI68.30-P-053962.

Is there a printout of the actual bulletin or is the number the only thing you can give them?
Old 04-02-2014, 11:55 PM

2011 E350 Sedan
The SA clearly recognized the fade issue when he looked inside the car. However, he said all the ones they've done have been on in-warranty cars. They said once the car turns over 50k, they can't authorize anything and you have to call MBUSA.

My VIN is outside of the range of the second bulletin you posted. But the manufacture month is 09/10 which is within the August 2011 clean date mentioned in LI68.30-P-053962.

Is there a printout of the actual bulletin or is the number the only thing you can give them?
I don't have a printout, and was never actually able to find one online. User Konigstiger on this forum is the one who posted the numbers, you can find his thread at the top of the forum as a sticky. You may want to PM him and see if he has access to something more official.

Interesting your VIN is outside the range but you still see the fading issue. That may be an uphill fight on your part, but maybe the quality of MB service will pull through for you.

For reference my 2011 is still under the original factory warranty for another year, but from what I understand it only covers the drive train at this point. The service advisor I work with said this was a separate warranty issue regardless of the status of the cars warranty.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
I don't have a printout, and was never actually able to find one online. User Konigstiger on this forum is the one who posted the numbers, you can find his thread at the top of the forum as a sticky. You may want to PM him and see if he has access to something more official.

Interesting your VIN is outside the range but you still see the fading issue. That may be an uphill fight on your part, but maybe the quality of MB service will pull through for you.
Thanks, I might try contacting Konigstiger for documentation once I hear back about my case. Others in this thread have posted about fading with VINs outside the range. I assumed they issued the subsequent bulletin with the August 2011 clean date to capture all the issues. Of course this isn't a recall, only a bulletin. The MBUSA CSR reminded me of that and said it was not a required repair - only if the customer wanted it. Doesn't say much about quality of their service.

For reference my 2011 is still under the original factory warranty for another year, but from what I understand it only covers the drive train at this point. The service advisor I work with said this was a separate warranty issue regardless of the status of the cars warranty.
I thought the coverage was bumper to bumper for 4/50. If you are not over mileage and have a year left, it should cover more than the drive train.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
Well, I got a call back from the customer rep who reviewed my case. They said they will not make a goodwill adjustment in my case. Their reason why was I just purchased the vehicle (not a long term owner) and it is also my first MB (everyone has a first right). I asked who could I appeal their decision to and they said no one. No supervisor can review - the rep is empowered by executive management. More warm fuzzies.

Despite my personal situation, what I can't seem to get past is the fact that they are not concerned with an inferior product that they provided their customers. Why was this not recalled and required to be replaced? Why are they only doing this for customers who complain during the warranty period?

If they know their product is defective they should fix it even if that means issuing a recall. Imagine how many people out there don't know about this and are driving around with faded wood. Most of them with 2010 or 2011 models with this issue are either out warranty or less than a year from expiration. They might be thinking to themselves that the quality of MB has gone down. People that see their cars may also get the same impression.

I know this is not a faulty GM ignition switch. It is cosmetic. And I understand that all car parts show their age with time and use. But many have reported the fading right when they bought their cars. Heck this thread started 3.5 years ago.

Maybe if I wait long enough and others out of warranty have this issue they will eventually address it. Not holding my breath...
Old 04-03-2014, 08:46 PM

2011 E350 Sedan
Well, I got a call back from the customer rep who reviewed my case. They said they will not make a goodwill adjustment in my case. Their reason why was I just purchased the vehicle (not a long term owner) and it is also my first MB (everyone has a first right). I asked who could I appeal their decision to and they said no one. No supervisor can review - the rep is empowered by executive management. More warm fuzzies.

Despite my personal situation, what I can't seem to get past is the fact that they are not concerned with an inferior product that they provided their customers. Why was this not recalled and required to be replaced? Why are they only doing this for customers who complain during the warranty period?

If they know their product is defective they should fix it even if that means issuing a recall. Imagine how many people out there don't know about this and are driving around with faded wood. Most of them with 2010 or 2011 models with this issue are either out warranty or less than a year from expiration. They might be thinking to themselves that the quality of MB has gone down. People that see their cars may also get the same impression.

I know this is not a faulty GM ignition switch. It is cosmetic. And I understand that all car parts show their age with time and use. But many have reported the fading right when they bought their cars. Heck this thread started 3.5 years ago.

Maybe if I wait long enough and others out of warranty have this issue they will eventually address it. Not holding my breath...
I wouldn't put faded wood trim at the level of a recall, especially since it is purely a cosmetic issue. You did buy a car 'as-is' so you should be ok with what you bought. Just as you were ok with the damaged trim around the command knob. In the end your basically begging the manufacturer to do you a $3,000 favor which in this case they aren't willing to do.

In the end you're still under the 5 day return for Carmax, so return the car and get something else if the trim is that much of a deal breaker.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
My personal situation is different than someone who bought the car new - I acknowledge that. I liked the car when I bought it and still do. It's great. After my purchase, I came across this thread and then realized this car has the same faded wood issue. It was worth a try since it was just out of warranty. My local SA encouraged me to do so. And I appreciated your help with the bulletin info. They said no. Oh well. No worries. Life goes on.

I realize it is a cosmetic issue but we are also talking about a luxury car brand where perception of quality is important. That was my main point. My concerns were really about the affected cars and MB, not just mine. Whether or not you bought it new or used, paid cash or leased, the one constant is the faded wood. I can completely understand if an original owner is really pissed now that their car is out of warranty and they didn't know this issue was abnormal. Why didn't their service advisor point this out to them? If they didn't research it online like many here did how would they know? According to the MB service records for my VIN, this car had been to the dealer for regular service every 10k since it was new. The last time was within the last year when there were less than 50k miles on it. Now maybe the wood faded in the past few months. Or maybe the MB service advisor looked the other way. Don't know - wasn't me - but if it was I would be very upset.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:25 PM

w212
I could see how you might not notice it right away, but mine was very noticeable when I closed the ashtray cover in the console. That wood showed the biggest difference between exposed and covered. Even still, the first dealer I took it to claimed to not see the problem.

I went to a second dealer, MB of West Chester OH and they handled it right away. This service dept treated me with total class, complete 180 from the first dealer. With the high demand for the corrected kits, it took forever to arrive. But this week I finally got the new kit installed and it looks amazing. It looks like the same wood as Mark Rose's pictures. I'll try to remember to take some pics for comparison. It really makes a huge difference in my opinion.

Edit- after reading some of the comments on returning fading, I'm planning on tinting the windows and windshield, and getting one of those reflector shields for when I park outside all day. If the fading is going to return, I'm trying to slow it down as much as I can. I just had stock tinting and never did any extra sun protection before.

Last edited by aeroconfigs; 04-03-2014 at 10:29 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
Originally Posted by steventnguyen
Took my cpo 2011 w212 in for dash trim in and couldnt get approval because its not covered under cpo limited warranty they said.
Are you out of the original warranty because you are over 50k miles? If so, have you tried MBUSA customer service for an out of warranty claim? They didn't approve me but if you bought yours from a dealer (assume so with a CPO) and/or you've owned other MB before you may get more consideration. Good luck.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 E550
My personal situation is different than someone who bought the car new - I acknowledge that. I liked the car when I bought it and still do. It's great. After my purchase, I came across this thread and then realized this car has the same faded wood issue. It was worth a try since it was just out of warranty. My local SA encouraged me to do so. And I appreciated your help with the bulletin info. They said no. Oh well. No worries. Life goes on.

I realize it is a cosmetic issue but we are also talking about a luxury car brand where perception of quality is important. That was my main point. My concerns were really about the affected cars and MB, not just mine. Whether or not you bought it new or used, paid cash or leased, the one constant is the faded wood. I can completely understand if an original owner is really pissed now that their car is out of warranty and they didn't know this issue was abnormal. Why didn't their service advisor point this out to them? If they didn't research it online like many here did how would they know? According to the MB service records for my VIN, this car had been to the dealer for regular service every 10k since it was new. The last time was within the last year when there were less than 50k miles on it. Now maybe the wood faded in the past few months. Or maybe the MB service advisor looked the other way. Don't know - wasn't me - but if it was I would be very upset.
I completely understand your frustration with this. Unfortunatley MB is not a luxury car brand. They do compete in the luxury car market, but this is not the only area they focus on, unlike BMW, Audi, and Jaguar. Even Volvo has invested in Heavy machinery.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
Attached is a printout my SA gave me on this bulletin in case it helps anyone. Not a lot more information than what you can gather from reading this thread, but this is from their system.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
0254_001.pdf (66.7 KB, 441 views)
Old 04-05-2014, 04:17 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
C8, FF, C63S, 911 C4S, GTI, E350, Boxster S, 355, Esprit S4, Vantage, S5, Z4, M3, Miata, A4, 325is
Originally Posted by MarkRose
OMG! What a difference with the new wood trim. They just finished a couple hours ago. My trim must have been faded right from the start. This is what is should have looked like. They replaced every piece of trim in the car. My service adviser couldn't have been more helpful. When he called to tell me the car was done, he was almost more excited than I was. Looks like a brand new interior. SO happy I had it done.

New Wood Trim
Can someone verify if there is a large gap between the two center console panels as shown in the pic? The video above does looks good. But mine is more like the pic below. The gap looks really out of place.

Can someone also point me out to instructions on how to remove these pieces so I can see if they can be adjusted?
Attached Thumbnails Faded Burl Wood Trim on "new" E350-mb.png  
Old 04-05-2014, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 888 Likes on 638 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by theclutch
Can someone verify if there is a large gap between the two center console panels as shown in the pic? The video above does looks good. But mine is more like the pic below. The gap looks really out of place.

Can someone also point me out to instructions on how to remove these pieces so I can see if they can be adjusted?
The gap in the picture looks too big and uneven to me. I have black wood trim and the gap does not exist. You can see that there are two pieces and the seam between them but there is no gap.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Faded Burl Wood Trim on "new" E350