Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > E-Class (W212)
Interior rattles, noises and/or creaking sounds? >

Interior rattles, noises and/or creaking sounds?

Notices
E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550
Old 06-12-2015, 07:21 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Interior rattles, noises and/or creaking sounds?

 
Old 10-29-2013, 05:15 PM
  #251  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
C280 Sport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Saratoga,Springs New York, Sarasota, Florida.
Posts: 2,447
Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
E,E,CL,C,CLK,ML,S,GLK,others...
Originally Posted by PeterUbers View Post
At 1600 miles, I have a thermal plasticky creaking when the AC comes on, or the heat (nowadays) that happens once during the whole drive... seems to come from the roofliner. Occasional creaks over larger bumps in the dash center console area -- also some creaking from drivers side belt buckle receptacle. Had a creaking in the steering column, the whole column was replaced under warranty and resolved this issue.

I have the sport suspension, no airmatic to drown out all harshness with the boaty cushion ride...
Do you have the coupe or sedan? I know the sedans all have airmatic right?
C280 Sport is offline  
Old 10-30-2013, 04:08 AM
  #252  
K-A
Out Of Control!!
 
K-A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 10,557
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
W211's were considered rattle traps by many owners as well, mine being one of them, though I don't remember mine having as harsh a suspension as either of my Sport W212's. For some reason the "eventual rattle" issue has become somewhat of an E Class tradition in modern times for M-B, though I'm not sure about the W210.
K-A is offline  
Old 11-04-2013, 09:56 AM
  #253  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
C280 Sport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Saratoga,Springs New York, Sarasota, Florida.
Posts: 2,447
Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
E,E,CL,C,CLK,ML,S,GLK,others...
Rattles

Originally Posted by K-A View Post
W211's were considered rattle traps by many owners as well, mine being one of them, though I don't remember mine having as harsh a suspension as either of my Sport W212's. For some reason the "eventual rattle" issue has become somewhat of an E Class tradition in modern times for M-B, though I'm not sure about the W210.
So far my W212 has been very good but I am developing something in the center area near the A/C Vents and climate control area. Not sure where it is coming from. My W210 is still very solid. Some minor noise here and there but felt takes great care of that.
C280 Sport is offline  
Old 11-11-2013, 09:18 PM
  #254  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 w212
I have a 2012 w212 with left a pillar and rear deck rattles. The rear sunshade was replaced
and it didn't help. I not sure the dealership has done anything about the a pillar rattle at all. Have had car in 4 times already for this alone without success.
Muenstermania is offline  
Old 11-11-2013, 10:40 PM
  #255  
Junior Member
 
mountainrivera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 43
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 e350
Originally Posted by Muenstermania View Post
I have a 2012 w212 with left a pillar and rear deck rattles. The rear sunshade was replaced
and it didn't help. I not sure the dealership has done anything about the a pillar rattle at all. Have had car in 4 times already for this alone without success.
How long can we expect support for rattles and such vs having to play the radio louder? Just brought in my CPO and the retorqued the panoramic roof so good for now.
mountainrivera is offline  
Old 12-09-2013, 10:07 AM
  #256  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63
Pooping in panorama roof

Hi there...new to MB World. I have a 2010 E63 (CPO) and the popping sound in the roof is unreal. Entering a driveway at an angle, speed bump or pothole at slow speed causes 3-6 very loud popping sounds from the fixed section of the roof. Only had the car for about 6 months and the 3 MB dealers I have asked over the phone about this have never heard of it. I haven't had a chance to take the car in yet. Dealerships are about 2 hours away. Anyone had success treating this?

Last edited by billyb1; 12-09-2013 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Mis-spelled popping
billyb1 is offline  
Old 12-09-2013, 10:41 AM
  #257  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Arrie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,797
Received 74 Likes on 64 Posts
2010 E550
Originally Posted by billyb1 View Post
Hi there...new to MB World. I have a 2010 E63 (CPO) and the popping sound in the roof is unreal. Entering a driveway at an angle, speed bump or pothole at slow speed causes 3-6 very loud popping sounds from the fixed section of the roof. Only had the car for about 6 months and the 3 MB dealers I have asked over the phone about this have never heard of it. I haven't had a chance to take the car in yet. Dealerships are about 2 hours away. Anyone had success treating this?
I had it and the dealer said they had to lube the sun roof. I personally don't think it was a lube issue as the popping sound was so loud. Kind of a sound when a steel-to-steel surfaces slide under a bolt that is not torqued correctly.

But whatever they did fixed it as I have not heard it since almost a year ago.
Arrie is offline  
Old 12-09-2013, 10:54 AM
  #258  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 605
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lexus gx470
I really do think that rear deck rattles are the covers that conceal the baby seat anchors. I flipped all of them up just to experiment and it seems to not have the rattles any more.
Originally Posted by Muenstermania View Post
I have a 2012 w212 with left a pillar and rear deck rattles. The rear sunshade was replaced
and it didn't help. I not sure the dealership has done anything about the a pillar rattle at all. Have had car in 4 times already for this alone without success.

Last edited by chrisvr6; 12-09-2013 at 11:00 AM.
chrisvr6 is offline  
Old 12-09-2013, 07:13 PM
  #259  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Arrie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,797
Received 74 Likes on 64 Posts
2010 E550
Originally Posted by chrisvr6 View Post
I really do think that rear deck rattles are the covers that conceal the baby seat anchors. I flipped all of them up just to experiment and it seems to not have the rattles any more.




I have an opposing opinion. My baby seat tether anchor point covers do not cause rattles in my car. But I just found one big source for the noise. It is the center brake light assembly that seems to be loose from the rear deck cover.
Arrie is offline  
Old 12-09-2013, 07:16 PM
  #260  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 605
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lexus gx470
Oh wow! Going to check mine. You must live in Chicago like me. Crappy streets do not get along with this car.
Originally Posted by Arrie View Post
I have an opposing opinion. My baby seat tether anchor point covers do not cause rattles in my car. But I just found one big source for the noise. It is the center brake light assembly that seems to be loose from the rear deck cover.
chrisvr6 is offline  
Old 12-09-2013, 08:35 PM
  #261  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Arrie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,797
Received 74 Likes on 64 Posts
2010 E550
Originally Posted by chrisvr6 View Post
Oh wow! Going to check mine. You must live in Chicago like me. Crappy streets do not get along with this car.
We have some poor roads down south too...

I have had this rattle at all times. Also had it with the E350 I used to own and it always gets worse in cold weather. I was checking on that long speaker cover on the rear deck but everything is fine with that but then noticed how I can stop the rattle by holding my hand on that brake light assembly when lightly tapping on the deck cover with the other hand.

And it now makes perfect sense. In cold weather the plastic brake light assy shrinks more than the hole around it making it loose.
Arrie is offline  
Old 12-09-2013, 08:46 PM
  #262  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 605
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lexus gx470
You going to wedge some felt in there?
chrisvr6 is offline  
Old 12-09-2013, 08:57 PM
  #263  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Arrie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,797
Received 74 Likes on 64 Posts
2010 E550
Originally Posted by chrisvr6 View Post
You going to wedge some felt in there?
I'm going to have my dealer look at it.
Arrie is offline  
Old 12-09-2013, 09:11 PM
  #264  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 115
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 E350 P1, Sport, Rear Spoiler
Originally Posted by Arrie View Post
I have an opposing opinion. My baby seat tether anchor point covers do not cause rattles in my car. But I just found one big source for the noise. It is the center brake light assembly that seems to be loose from the rear deck cover.
They replaced my center light cover... They had to completely disassemble the rear deck... And the rattle is still there. I give up...
jmatero is offline  
Old 12-09-2013, 11:14 PM
  #265  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: So Cal
Posts: 321
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C300 & 2014 E350
Originally Posted by billyb1 View Post
Hi there...new to MB World. I have a 2010 E63 (CPO) and the popping sound in the roof is unreal. Entering a driveway at an angle, speed bump or pothole at slow speed causes 3-6 very loud popping sounds from the fixed section of the roof. Only had the car for about 6 months and the 3 MB dealers I have asked over the phone about this have never heard of it. I haven't had a chance to take the car in yet. Dealerships are about 2 hours away. Anyone had success treating this?
Wedging some felt in between the body of the car and headliner will fix this problem. I had a 2013 with 6K miles that would do this and that's what the dealer did to fix the problem.
2006_C350 is offline  
Old 12-12-2013, 04:36 PM
  #266  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 395
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10 E63 | 13 911S
Originally Posted by Arrie View Post
I have an opposing opinion. My baby seat tether anchor point covers do not cause rattles in my car. But I just found one big source for the noise. It is the center brake light assembly that seems to be loose from the rear deck cover.
That 3rd Brake Light is what my elusive rattle ended up being.
The dealer expended a lot of effort to anchor all the small loose parts inside the 3rd Brake Light Assembly.
It did the trick.

Just replacing it would probably just continue the same issue as I don't think it got redesigned, to the degree of what my dealer did to fix it.
lunarx is offline  
Old 12-12-2013, 07:34 PM
  #267  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Arrie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,797
Received 74 Likes on 64 Posts
2010 E550
Originally Posted by lunarx View Post
That 3rd Brake Light is what my elusive rattle ended up being.
The dealer expended a lot of effort to anchor all the small loose parts inside the 3rd Brake Light Assembly.
It did the trick.

Just replacing it would probably just continue the same issue as I don't think it got redesigned, to the degree of what my dealer did to fix it.




Thanks for the info. I also think the rattling sound comes from the inside of that brake light assembly and is just worse now when during colder weather the whole assembly seems to be loose.
Arrie is offline  
Old 12-12-2013, 07:48 PM
  #268  
Member
 
usamuscle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 218
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 E550
I have a very low faint noise coming from the center radio/ nav area as well. Any ideas fellas ? Almost like radio engine noise. This is on my e550 2014
usamuscle is offline  
Old 12-20-2013, 10:38 AM
  #269  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Arrie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,797
Received 74 Likes on 64 Posts
2010 E550
Does anyone have instructions of how to take the rear deck apart?


I'm thinking now to tackle the center brake light rattling issue myself as I doubt the dealer will do a perfect job at it. It should not be that difficult job to do it myself, or is it?
Arrie is offline  
Old 12-20-2013, 10:47 AM
  #270  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 395
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10 E63 | 13 911S
Originally Posted by Arrie View Post
Does anyone have instructions of how to take the rear deck apart?


I'm thinking now to tackle the center brake light rattling issue myself as I doubt the dealer will do a perfect job at it. It should not be that difficult job to do it myself, or is it?
I commend you on that.
I have an AllData subsctiption.
If you PM me your email I can send you what they have on it.
I can also send you a parts blow up from the EPC.
lunarx is offline  
Old 12-20-2013, 11:55 AM
  #271  
Super Member
 
instantfob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 570
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'16 MBZ GLE350, '17 BMW 330e
Originally Posted by usamuscle View Post
I have a very low faint noise coming from the center radio/ nav area as well. Any ideas fellas ? Almost like radio engine noise. This is on my e550 2014
Mine has that too.
It sounds like the harddrive seeking inside the COMMAND unit. I wish they used SSD in them. It's random too.
They car is so quiet around so we end up hearing little noise from the new technology

My car is at the shop now for this

LI91.40-P-057018 SEPT13 – 212, 176, 242, 246, 204, 117, 222 creaking noise from left or right front seat belt height adjustment mechanism, replace belt height adjuster.

Last edited by instantfob; 12-20-2013 at 11:59 AM.
instantfob is offline  
Old 12-20-2013, 12:51 PM
  #272  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 673
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2012 w221
i have this noise that seems to me like wire hitting metal coming from under my driver seat ..... its so farking annoying.... I have the multi contour seat... anyone experience this ?
T.H.Carrera is offline  
Old 12-20-2013, 01:52 PM
  #273  
Super Member
 
instantfob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 570
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'16 MBZ GLE350, '17 BMW 330e
Originally Posted by T.H.Carrera View Post
i have this noise that seems to me like wire hitting metal coming from under my driver seat ..... its so farking annoying.... I have the multi contour seat... anyone experience this ?
Yes. I thought it was my fat rear making the seat creak but I tried doing the "family guy - bird dance" and that wasn't it. I'll trouble shoot that sound when they resolve my seatbelt adjuster area rattle. I'll have a pack of small cable ties ready.

TEKTON 6235 Assorted Cable Ties, 200-Piece - Amazon.com TEKTON 6235 Assorted Cable Ties, 200-Piece - Amazon.com



My previous 2012 had none of these rattles or creaks.
instantfob is offline  
Old 12-20-2013, 02:07 PM
  #274  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 673
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2012 w221
Originally Posted by instantfob View Post
Yes. I thought it was my fat rear making the seat creak but I tried doing the "family guy - bird dance" and that wasn't it. I'll trouble shoot that sound when they resolve my seatbelt adjuster area rattle. I'll have a pack of small cable ties ready.

TEKTON 6235 Assorted Cable Ties, 200-Piece - Amazon.com



My previous 2012 had none of these rattles or creaks.
I did check under and saw this thick cable which if I moved made similar sound to the one i hear during drive so I wrapped it in thin foam until moving it did not make that sound but that noise is still there.

My door was creaking too when i rested my left arm on it but I fixed that by inserting a little rubber piece in the gap.

Let me know what you find.
T.H.Carrera is offline  
Old 12-20-2013, 02:33 PM
  #275  
Super Member
 
instantfob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 570
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'16 MBZ GLE350, '17 BMW 330e
If the door creaks changes with weather/temp then I'd give the rubber door seals a nice clean wipe down and apply a thin lube of silicon grease.

Honda Genuine Shin-Etsu Grease : Amazon.com : Automotive Honda Genuine Shin-Etsu Grease : Amazon.com : Automotive
(this product is the offical grease for S2000 convertible owners to keep the seals fresh and prevent dry rotting.)

It worked well on my wife's old E60 530i. Old school Mercedes used to use fabric covered weather seals and modern ones are pure rubber. Any dryness will make rubber on rubber creaks.
instantfob is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.

Quick Reply: Interior rattles, noises and/or creaking sounds?


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: