E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

So now that you've got your nice new W212.. If you could do it over again, would you?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 03:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by firefighter608
K-A after reading this thread and making my comment I went out and pulled the trigger Saturday---- now i'm up against it
Sorry about the pic quality
Congrats on the S. Smart move (that's what the S stands for, lol)

Did you get ABC? With ABC those cars stay flat as a pancake in the corners. Night and day difference over Airmatic.

Anyway, enjoy the new ride. S or CL is the way to go if you are seriously looking for a luxury/comfort car. And of course there's always the CL65 to consider for next time
Old 10-17-2010, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
I would take 350i or 550i. Prices are currently lowered to Benz level and the car is much better than W212. Better engine, more adavnced electronics, look, feel and so on.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:21 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
I wouldn't even consider the 5-Series personally until the M-Pack comes out.

Once it comes out, I might have some problems though, lol. We'll see.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by K-A
I wouldn't even consider the 5-Series personally until the M-Pack comes out.

Once it comes out, I might have some problems though, lol. We'll see.
fyi, the M Sport package has been on the 550i 'build your own' website for a while now.....

$6.5k MSRP. Includes adaptive drive, multi-contour seats, shadowline trim, anthracite headliner, increased top speed limiter, front M bumper, rear M bumper, rear diffuser, M wheels, M steering wheel.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:56 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by 220S
fyi, the M Sport package has been on the 550i 'build your own' website for a while now.....

$6.5k MSRP. Includes adaptive drive, multi-contour seats, shadowline trim, anthracite headliner, increased top speed limiter, front M bumper, rear M bumper, rear diffuser, M wheels, M steering wheel.
Yikes, that is a steep option price.

But I stick with my original point, M-B using the AMG Package as standard is nice for us as we get the cool styling for free, but on the flip side, it makes so many of the 212's look like clones, and it will diminish the strong and alluring presence/styling of the package.

I still like the way BMW does it (and M-B used to do it with the E-Class), and I'd definitely factor the M-Pack into the price of what I'd pay for an F10. I'd know that I'd have a bit of a rare twist to a popular car.

I "complained" to MBUSA at how the AMG Pack being standard on the W212 will hurt the car and the cars notoriety once we see them more and more with said package. They said that the reason they did it had to do mainly with the fact that the W211 had such a positive response in '09 with the AMG Pack for free on it, they didn't want to throw a wrench in the momentum of the feedback.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
11 E550, 05 NSX, 12 QX56, 93 Z32 TT, 12 CLS550
The car has been superb thus far. Its not just another car if you got the dynamic seat. Love the buttery smooth transmission and ride quality with hush hush cabin. I would buy it again.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:33 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

"Just another car" is purely subjective of course. What's special to some, isn't to others. Unfortunately, having a popular car means having a popular car.... It's popular for a reason, which is a good thing, but of course it means you'll see lots. I try not to let that deter me from how nice a car is.

On the flip side, having a popular car means you don't have to worry about sticking out like a sore thumb, and if you have a clean and nicely equipped example, yours will always have a specialness IMO.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by K-A
Don't forget the M pack includes the adaptive drive and the multi-contour seats/sports option. The cosmetic side of the M pack (special interior trim choices, wheels, steering wheel, bumpers, etc.) comes to $3800.00 if you eliminate AD and the seats/sports option. But the package comes bundled with all of it for $6,500 MSRP total.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:46 AM

E-CLASS
Originally Posted by petee1997
Since you haven't taken delivery of your new car you should have no problem working a deal with your dealer for the S. You won't be happy with the E if every day you are wishing you had bought the S. Go ahead, pull the trigger on your top pick.
You're absolutely right, I know that I'm gonna like the E especially that it is fully loaded, but even though I will still thinking about the S and what is like to drive it when I see it on the street.

I asked the deleaer if I want to cancel my order and get my down payment back and he said it is too late now but if you do you have to wait until we sell the car and you can get your money back but whatever discount they gonna make to sell it it will be deducted from my payment.

Last edited by Sword_M; 10-18-2010 at 01:49 AM.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Sword_M
I asked the deleaer if I want to cancel my order and get my down payment back and he said it is too late now but if you do you have to wait until we sell the car and you can get your money back but whatever discount they gonna make to sell it it will be deducted from my payment.
I'd talk to the sales manager of the dealership. If they aren't willing to work with you so that you can get into the car you want (and a more expensive one at that) then they really don't deserve your business. Their margin is a bit higher on the S Class than it is on the E Class, too.

I've done this in the past (changed my mind even when the car is in the pipeline) to get a better car (the one I want) and the dealer was always accommodating.

At the very least they should simply retail the car for what it cost you with none of this "discount" they want for selling it mumbo-jumbo. Why should they make money off you twice?
Old 10-18-2010, 02:09 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

At the very least, my Thread would have inspired two people to follow their hearts.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:51 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,353 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by K-A
At the very least, my Thread would have inspired two people to follow their hearts.
and their wallets.......
Old 10-18-2010, 09:12 AM

E-CLASS
Originally Posted by K-A
LOL You're 100% right, Actually the one who inspired me to go for the E at the begening was you and now I think you inspired me to go for the S
I always ready you're Threads by the way and they are so useful.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:31 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Wow! I never knew I was of such influence here! Lol. I guess being an obsessive car freak pays off after all.

Glad I could be of any help, and it's my pleasure. Enjoy that bad boy.

The W221 is an instant legend to me. In fact, it's the first Benz since the W126 era that really captivates with that almost mystical aura of being a product from such a superior brand. IMO it's the first S-Class since the W126 to properly be tied into the S-Class heritage in EVERY way, from design, to being over-engineered. And it reeks of that classic M-B confidence of dominance. Nice to have that back, and the W221 was that statement. Here's hoping the W212 does that in its respective class as well.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:36 AM

2010 S550, '10 Road glide, '10 Sportster "48"
LOL You're 100% right, Actually the one who inspired me to go for the E at the begening was you and now I think you inspired me to go for the S
I always ready you're Threads by the way and they are so useful.

Man go for it..... all day Sat n Sun was driving around in carharts and a Harley T with the tunes cranked. Was pulled over by a cop I know from EMS just to figure out who the full sleeved maniac was driving an S with no Inspection sticker, When he saw me all he asked was what was i Packing, BHP 9mm
Old 10-18-2010, 11:02 AM

2021 E450 4matic
Originally Posted by K-A

But I stick with my original point, M-B using the AMG Package as standard is nice for us as we get the cool styling for free, but on the flip side, it makes so many of the 212's look like clones, and it will diminish the strong and alluring presence/styling of the package.

I still like the way BMW does it (and M-B used to do it with the E-Class), and I'd definitely factor the M-Pack into the price of what I'd pay for an F10. I'd know that I'd have a bit of a rare twist to a popular car.

I "complained" to MBUSA at how the AMG Pack being standard on the W212 will hurt the car and the cars notoriety once we see them more and more with said package. They said that the reason they did it had to do mainly with the fact that the W211 had such a positive response in '09 with the AMG Pack for free on it, they didn't want to throw a wrench in the momentum of the feedback.
TO answer your first question, yes I'd get another one.

I wasn't all that pleased with my 08 211. It was an "old" car with some new stuff in it that wasn't really that user friendly, had a harsh ride (for a Benz) and a really harsh tranny which made driving it a bit of a chore. I had come off an Audi A6 that I loved, so I always tried to be fair about it.

My '11 is a totally different care that really is a pleasure to drive in terms the mix between performance, luxury, features and they got the "little things" right - compared to my '08. Sure I still have the question as to why one has to pay extra for leather in a car that has a $63,000+ sticker price, but the MB Tex could be much worse.

As for the AMG, I know what you mean, but where I'm at, I am embarrassed to say that 80% of the E350's around are middle aged women. Hence they all drive the luxury package so my AMG stands out at least a little.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts
...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
You're absolutely right, I know that I'm gonna like the E especially that it is fully loaded, but even though I will still thinking about the S and what is like to drive it when I see it on the street.

Like 220 says, talk to the sales manager. The car you have on order will simply be put in their inventory and sold like any other car they order for stock. You are not cancelling, just ordering another car with the same percentage discount as the original sale, leaving the dealer with more profit due to the higher sale price.
As far as the salesman is concerned, he is an idiot. Once you resolve this issue with the sales manager and it will be resolved, make sure to let the salesman know he is history with you. Furthermore,if for some reason, they do not accommodate you just call MB and there will be a swift change in attitude.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:36 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by LRM1
As for the AMG, I know what you mean, but where I'm at, I am embarrassed to say that 80% of the E350's around are middle aged women. Hence they all drive the luxury package so my AMG stands out at least a little.
LOL!!!!

I know what you mean, E-Classes have always been plagued by the middle-aged women.

You just gotta turn your head, or not look inside, as you can't help who's drawn to a car. Hey, I'm not a middle aged woman, and *I* love the car!

So in N.J the majority of W212's have the Luxury Package? That is awesome to hear, as over here, most have the AMG Package. I have no problem if everyone has the damn car, I just want to retain SOME exclusivity with the AMG Package, as I've always sought after high volume M-B's with that little but very effective styling nuance.

It also just doesn't look right with the "older woman" driving in these super aggressive and sharp AMG Pack cars, just an awkward fit, and IMO the AMG Pack should remain an "Enthusiasts" option.

Anyway, like I said, if it's optioned well, and even better yet, has some little "clean-up mods here and there, and is kept nice and clean, it'll always be a hot commodity.

I too am supremely happy with the car so far. It's really the perfect all-arounder for what I want out of a car. The 3.5L has enough power for my needs, and keeps me out of trouble. Any more HP would be useless.... Heck, even some of the HP this thing has is useless. Would I take more power though? Of course!
Old 10-18-2010, 11:46 AM

2010 E550
I picked up 2010 E550 w/ P2 and sport package about a month ago. I must say I really love this car. Fortunately, I have not had any issues that some of the members posted. This is my first Mercedes and I really enjoy driving the car. Suspension is really nice...I can barely feel mirnor bumps on the road.

However, if I had to do all over again, I think I probably go with E63 AMG.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:49 PM

2021 E450 4matic
Originally Posted by K-A
LOL!!!!

I know what you mean, E-Classes have always been plagued by the middle-aged women.

You just gotta turn your head, or not look inside, as you can't help who's drawn to a car. Hey, I'm not a middle aged woman, and *I* love the car!

So in N.J the majority of W212's have the Luxury Package? That is awesome to hear, as over here, most have the AMG Package. I have no problem if everyone has the damn car, I just want to retain SOME exclusivity with the AMG Package, as I've always sought after high volume M-B's with that little but very effective styling nuance.

It also just doesn't look right with the "older woman" driving in these super aggressive and sharp AMG Pack cars, just an awkward fit, and IMO the AMG Pack should remain an "Enthusiasts" option.

Anyway, like I said, if it's optioned well, and even better yet, has some little "clean-up mods here and there, and is kept nice and clean, it'll always be a hot commodity.

I too am supremely happy with the car so far. It's really the perfect all-arounder for what I want out of a car. The 3.5L has enough power for my needs, and keeps me out of trouble. Any more HP would be useless.... Heck, even some of the HP this thing has is useless. Would I take more power though? Of course!
Well, in my area, yes, generally I've seen more luxury models than the sport models, let alone the AMG. Just as an aside I mean the current AMG wheel, hockey stick fog lamps, tail, etc. Not the full blown AMG car.

I still think it could do better off a stop. It still hesitates a bit. It acts sort of like the BMW 525i vs. the 535i. I also don't like that it hesitates when you need quick speed like to pass, but it is vastly improved over the previous model which hesitated and revved way too high (for something that didn't move like it revved)
Old 10-18-2010, 03:39 PM

E350 Coupe
Question?

Originally Posted by Dema
I would take 350i or 550i. Prices are currently lowered to Benz level and the car is much better than W212. Better engine, more adavnced electronics, look, feel and so on.
Dema, I'm sorry but I've got to ask. When you find your Mercedes lacking in so many ways why did you buy it? The base price of a 2011 BMW 335i is $8,400 dollars less that the base price of the your E class. The Base price of the 535i is $200 more than your E class. So price is not a part of the picture. With the hundreds of reviews available on the internet and the fact that you could have easily test driven the BMWs. (I will not accept temporary insanity as a plea.) WHY the Mercedes????

Last edited by steelgrey; 10-18-2010 at 04:59 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:05 PM

E350
Only had mine for about a week and the only thing I don't like is that the gas pedal is a bit hard and hurts my ankle after awhile of driving.. And that's a 110lb girl driving but then again I love big cars. I originally wanted a 535i but since the bf has a 5 series I wanted something different. But love the car nonetheless so far I got so many compliments. I would buy it again.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:52 PM

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury 4Matic
As a then Lexus only family, the E350 4matic purchased in April was my very first Benz. At the time, considered, BMW 528xi (now would be 535xi) and Lexus GS350. Probably should have looked at Audi too, but decided not to.

If I had to choose today, I would still choose the E350. GS350 looked old (due for refresh) and it had many trobules - noisy engine, rattles galore and also part of valve spring recall - Lexus LS was also in this recall). BMW due for F10 change.

I wish I could have chosen Parktronic and I could have added Active Blind spot assist a la carte without getting the driver's assistance package.

Last edited by mbuster25; 10-18-2010 at 06:53 PM. Reason: clear up
Old 10-18-2010, 07:22 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
E400S4 '17
Originally Posted by K-A
The W221 is an instant legend to me. In fact, it's the first Benz since the W126 era that really captivates with that almost mystical aura of being a product from such a superior brand. IMO it's the first S-Class since the W126 to properly be tied into the S-Class heritage in EVERY way, from design, to being over-engineered. And it reeks of that classic M-B confidence of dominance. Nice to have that back, and the W221 was that statement. Here's hoping the W212 does that in its respective class as well.
Well guys, I am very happy with my choice of CPO 08 S550 over a new 2010 E550.

The S cruises serenely: very quiet, smooth, well mannered, extremely comfortable for the driver, and even more so for passengers with the acres of space in the rear. The 550 powerplant and the responsive handling are plenty to keep me excited when I want to be. The more I use the convenience features the more I feel pampered (I just noticed the central LCD monitor can switch the speedometer dial display between MPH and KPH for Canadian touring, and I like the attention to detail where the speedo digits dim below the target cruising speed.) We'll see if I'm still in the same mood when the warranty wears off, but right now, no regrets.

Perhaps I do have one regret, I'm getting ready to store it for the winter [link].

Attached Thumbnails So now that you've got your nice new W212.. If you could do it over again, would you?-dsc_1865_dxo._800.jpg   So now that you've got your nice new W212.. If you could do it over again, would you?-dsc_1833_dxop._800.jpg  

Last edited by HiTach; 10-18-2010 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:24 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
E400S4 '17
Originally Posted by Joocy
Only had mine for about a week and the only thing I don't like is that the gas pedal is a bit hard and hurts my ankle after awhile of driving.. And that's a 110lb girl driving but then again I love big cars. I originally wanted a 535i but since the bf has a 5 series I wanted something different. But love the car nonetheless so far I got so many compliments. I would buy it again.
Your bf is lucky some might have changed the partner and got the car they really wanted...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: So now that you've got your nice new W212.. If you could do it over again, would you?