E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Sprint Booster

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'11 350 4matic - '14 Stingray: Gone, BMW 530i, Porsche 944 Turbo, Porsche 356, Mitsubishi 3000GT
Originally Posted by SprintBooster
NGERSTMAN, Sprint Booster USA Technicians deemed compatible in early 2010. we are currently doing our yearly updates and tests for the 2011 and 2012 Vehicles including. Specifically the BMW's, M.B. and Audi's. As far as we know this car is compatible. While we do not poses unlimited resources, we make effective use of our Engineering Staff both in America and Europe to ensure compatibility across all makes and models.

If there is a discrepency in compatibility with one specific application. I will be rectified as quickly as possible. The end user / customer will be well taken care of to ensure they receive the proper unit for their vehicle. And in the rare situation that the unit is not compatibilty. The customer will receive a full refund and not have to worry about return shipment of the product.

You must understand we deal with dozes of situations where a manufacturer changes spec, or makes a mid year production change. A classic example of this would be on the Nissan/Infiniti. http://g35driver.com/forums/g35-seda...esnt-work.html There was a very very small amount of Nissans in the first end of 2002 and early 2003 that had a slightly different pedal assembly. We were unware of it until recently. In similar situations, generally we do not learn about their rare instances until someone discovers them. The manufacturer of the car is sometimes not aware of the issue either since they supercede part numbers and references to old ones disappear. Generally in the end we communicate issues like this to our production engineers and we see from our own end how to resolve them. In the end if there is an issue we can not overcome we change our listing and make the appropriate notifications.

We always differ people to check the catalog on our website for official vehicle support since this is updated most frequently. If there is an issue with the E550 platform we will address it. We have a number of vehicles arriving for regular testing and this vehicle is on that list next week.

We hope this fully explains our stance on the E550.
OPEN LETTER TO SPRINT BOOSTER:
As a very happy owner and vocal supporter of Sprint Booster I have been following these threads to check out the compatibility with the 550. I would like to suggest that if SB doesn't have access to a 550 to confirm it's connectivity, that they simply send one to FromTheBeginnin so he can install and confirm it's viability. FTB can then report back to the forum. At that point he can either buy it at the group rate (with the other participants) or simply return it until the necessary modifications have been made. I personally think it is going to work fine on the 550 and this will clear the air for once and all. Just a thought.

Thanks, it works fantastic on the 350. Great product.

Last edited by BPhillyBenz; 02-04-2011 at 09:39 AM.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:51 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C-Class
Originally Posted by ngerstman
You never responded to my question. Was the SB ever available for the new e550's? Once again, there have not been any e550 forum members who have chimed in. So can I assume that the answer is no. Thanks. Ned.
NGERSTMAN, we responded to your question already.

The very first line of the last post also mentioned.

"Sprint Booster USA Technicians deemed compatible in early 2010."

And further 2011 and 2012 testing is planned in our regular platform testing across all makes and models. What is it are you looking for specifically?
Old 02-04-2011, 11:23 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C-Class
Originally Posted by BPhillyBenz
OPEN LETTER TO SPRINT BOOSTER:
As a very happy owner and vocal supporter of Sprint Booster I have been following these threads to check out the compatibility with the 550. I would like to suggest that if SB doesn't have access to a 550 to confirm it's connectivity, that they simply send one to FromTheBeginnin so he can install and confirm it's viability. FTB can then report back to the forum. At that point he can either buy it at the group rate (with the other participants) or simply return it until the necessary modifications have been made. I personally think it is going to work fine on the 550 and this will clear the air for once and all. Just a thought.

Thanks, it works fantastic on the 350. Great product.
The problem is, verification is great. But if there is an in consistancy our engineers need to physically see it. Like in the example about the Nissan/Infiniti's it was a difference in the connector being a few mm too short. Although we dont expect a different, if there is one, we want to move rapidly to resolve it.

We have this vehicle in the 2011 year booked to arrive within a week or so for testing. We ask everyone who is interested in these results to sit tight. We will post confirmation shortly. That said we would make the appeal to anyone who has this vehicle and is within range of our two Corporate facilities in Maryland USA and Toronto Canada. We can get the testing done a head of what is schedule for this platform since we have engineers on site to make a detailed assessment.

Thank you for the OPEN letter, the demand for Sprint Booster is very high in the MB world, and we will continue to support the platform as quickly as possible.

Sprint Booster USA.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:50 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Mercedes
I'm happy to see that Sprint Booster is working toward a resolution on the 550, and we're certainly looking forward to some good news!

In case you missed our introduction, we are new sponsors here representing the Sprint Booster product. In response to the massive feedback, we'll be posting a group buy announcement in the sponsor's section shortly.

For 550 owners, what we are suggesting is to add your name to the list early. If we learn of an incompatibility, we will remove you from the list without obligation.

Generally speaking, I'm very encouraged by the response and positive reviews here. As we're new to the board, please don't be afraid to pass on open questions to us directly - even if they're already floating around.

In the meantime, we're just happy to be here and look forward to working with all of you.

Ken
Old 02-04-2011, 07:38 PM
MCF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350
Is any cutting of carpet required for installation or is it simply remove two nuts, lay gas pedal over, undo stock plug, plug in sprint booter, re-plug, re-install two bolts, and 'hide' button (for those of us with wife drivers)?
Old 02-04-2011, 08:59 PM

'11 350 4matic - '14 Stingray: Gone, BMW 530i, Porsche 944 Turbo, Porsche 356, Mitsubishi 3000GT
Originally Posted by MCF
Is any cutting of carpet required for installation or is it simply remove two nuts, lay gas pedal over, undo stock plug, plug in sprint booter, re-plug, re-install two bolts, and 'hide' button (for those of us with wife drivers)?
It's exactley as you just described, except you need to cut about a inch slice of carpet (you wont be able to see it) to allow for the new length caused by the addition of the Sprint Booster. Easy job, just make sure you don't cut any wire underneath the carpet.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
E550 2010
Originally Posted by ngerstman
You never responded to my question. Was the SB ever available for the new e550's? Once again, there have not been any e550 forum members who have chimed in. So can I assume that the answer is no. Thanks. Ned.
I had posted this previously, but I'll restate: I tried two sprintbooster units from seperate vendors, supposedly designed for the W212 and neither fit my 2010 E550. The only thing I got out of it was being charged for return shipping.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:51 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C-Class
Originally Posted by MagicJack
I had posted this previously, but I'll restate: I tried two sprintbooster units from seperate vendors, supposedly designed for the W212 and neither fit my 2010 E550. The only thing I got out of it was being charged for return shipping.
MagicJack, we have a test vehicle coming in for testing within the next week or so. Once we get to the bottom of this we will ensure you get the unit you are looking for and compensate you for your efforts. Should you have any further questions please feel free to message us here on the forum or at info@sprintboosterusa.com
Old 02-23-2011, 01:03 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C-Class
Final Update on the E550:

Mercedes Benz made a slight variation to their traditional pin thickness which caused some customers a fair bit of difficulty with installation. Effective Mid Feb 2011, all related Sprint Booster units for the E550 family have been modified to accept both variation in pins.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by SprintBooster
Final Update on the E550:

Mercedes Benz made a slight variation to their traditional pin thickness which caused some customers a fair bit of difficulty with installation. Effective Mid Feb 2011, all related Sprint Booster units for the E550 family have been modified to accept both variation in pins.
WooHoo! "Houston, we have lift off"...
Old 02-23-2011, 01:20 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Mercedes
Originally Posted by BPhillyBenz
WooHoo! "Houston, we have lift off"...
FYI - you can still get in on our group buy today - simply order using coupon code MBgroupbuy. When we receive the new units, we'll turn it around to you immediately.

Ken
Old 02-28-2011, 07:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Current: 2011 W212 Previous: 2008 W211 2006 550 2001 Rover 1997 W210
Just my $.02 on Sprint Booster.

Had it installed on my 2011 E350 this past week and love it. Although it does not increase HP, it does make the car seem faster and more powered. Not like my bro's E63, but definitely fast enough off the line and more than enough power for my family of four with my 2 kiddy seats in the back.

Had some regrets on not buying a E550 at times because of the power, but now I have no regrets and totally glad to have spent that $250.00 instead of that extra 10K+.

Maybe now I'll go out with that 10K+ and buy a new motorcycle.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 373 Likes on 325 Posts
Only MBs - the best or nothing
I do not quit understand why people do not use "sprint boosters" that all W212s come equiped with from the factory.

Mercedes calls it "paddle shifters". Response is immediate (much better than in W211s). Second to third gear shift pushes you back a bit and you're truly flying (or at least it feels like it). And I'm talking about E350s here. E550s are already scary in D.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:22 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
You mean driving with the paddle shifters activated constantly? I can see what you mean, as pedal response is immediate, but no doubt will you see a decrease in MPG, and you'll have to constantly click the shifters (I guess in that regard, one can consider Sprint Booster the "Automatic version of Paddle Shifters").

I still can't logically figure out how Sprint Booster DOESN'T decrease MPG though.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well I do not care much about MPG (realisticly, you're "loosing" what 2, maybe 3MPG?). Even if 5MPG for short periods of time, who cares. (Personally, if I cared, would get a BlueTec or Volt...no just kidding on a Volt). You're using them when you want to have fun.

My point is that MB gives you the tools (and they do work really well in lower gears 1-4, useless 5-7, and you can actually drive in 3 all you want in traffic conditions, or in 4 on the highway) backed by MB warranty and R&D. I'm sure SB is a great and reliable product, but it only has to mulfunction once. Does anyone know what would happen then? I don't.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:58 PM

3MB- I hear what you are saying, but even using the paddle shifters, you still have to use the "accelerator". I use my paddle shifters quite a bit. Sprint Booster helps the response in all areas of acceleration. Everyone has there own theory and thats cool...I think you need to try it, if you are interested. If not, no biggie...but trust me, the SB users here arent drinking the kool-aid and feeding everyone a bunch of BS. That would be counter productive to the group. The product does work. Simple as that.

As per K-A, I totally agree with you that the MPG must go down using the product. Probably not much...but it surely doesnt help in fuel effeciency.
Best regards,
B.

Originally Posted by threeMBs
Well I do not care much about MPG (realisticly, you're "loosing" what 2, maybe 3MPG?). Even if 5MPG for short periods of time, who cares. (Personally, if I cared, would get a BlueTec or Volt...no just kidding on a Volt). You're using them when you want to have fun.

My point is that MB gives you the tools (and they do work really well in lower gears 1-4, useless 5-7, and you can actually drive in 3 all you want in traffic conditions, or in 4 on the highway) backed by MB warranty and R&D. I'm sure SB is a great and reliable product, but it only has to mulfunction once. Does anyone know what would happen then? I don't.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:01 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Mercedes
To the best of my knowledge, the only reason fuel economy would be effected is because of the altered driving style. There is no alteration to engine performance or fuel mapping, therefore no physical influence on fuel burn. Driving more aggressively because of the newly found zing, however, will tend to get you to the gas pump earlier I'd bet!
Old 02-28-2011, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by ThrottleBoost.com
To the best of my knowledge, the only reason fuel economy would be effected is because of the altered driving style. There is no alteration to engine performance or fuel mapping, therefore no physical influence on fuel burn. Driving more aggressively because of the newly found zing, however, will tend to get you to the gas pump earlier I'd bet!
Vroooom... It's worth the extra chang at the pump.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

B.

I never questioned that product works as advertised. As a matter of fact I'm sure it does.

However, it does not elivate my one and only concern - absolute safety (this is one of my top two reasons to stay loyal to the MB brand). For me, its enough to use MB's paddle shifters as you're in the right gear as needed, hence your car "feels" faster with more immediate respons, if that's what you want. I was just surprised that no one brought it (paddles) up.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:25 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Mercedes
I'm going to check with SB on this one. From what I understand, the product fails safe, returning to a straight pass through as if it was off.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:27 PM

B.

I never questioned that product works as advertised. As a matter of fact I'm sure it does.

However, it does not elivate my one and only concern - absolute safety (this is one of my top two reasons to stay loyal to the MB brand). For me, its enough to use MB's paddle shifters as you're in the right gear as needed, hence your car "feels" faster with more immediate respons, if that's what you want. I was just surprised that no one brought it (paddles) up.
Point well-taken. Enjoy the wheels...and by the way, those paddle shifters are awesome...perfect placement .

Last edited by BPhillyBenz; 02-28-2011 at 09:29 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:29 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2023 XC60 PHEV, 2023 XC40 BEV
To answer MCF and BPhillyBenz, I didn't have to cut any carpet during my SB installation on my 2010 E350. All the cables routed fine.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Black W212 E550
A quick comment on something KA mentioned (back in this thread), I think the sprint booster will resolve a specific performance/safety issue on the MB.

I was cruising (not accelerating, actually trying to improve mileage) the other day doing approximately 25 mph in traffic for about 20 minutes or so in downtown SF, during which time the ECU must have set to the adaptive mode f0r the style I was driving. I was probably averaging what I would say was a 1/4 to 1/2 inch of travel on the gas pedal (just guessing but barely pressing down). I came up to car double parked there was an opening in traffic in the lane next to me, I was planning on changing lanes and I depressed the pedal another 1/4-1/2 inch, nothing, nada, zilch then another little press and it changed lanes but that couple of tens of a second ALMOST caused a wreck (that is the adaptive nature of the ECU).

Could I have:

-Floored it (like a few of you have stated)? Yes and jerked the car wildly
-Could I have used the shifters to down shift? Yes but I just needed a little power, nothing more to move over.

Here is my personal conclusion:

-If I just wanted to go as fast as I could, yes I can just stomp on the pedal hard and fast to the floor and there would probably be little benefit to the booster (a couple of tenths of a second as demonstrated in the attached graph.
-If I knew I wanted to accelerate past someone in about 25-50 yards, I could downshift with the shifters
-But if I have to go from 1/4 to 1/2 pedal, I just don't trust the ECU (with the adaptive feature) to give me the acceleration when I need it.

The third point is the reason I ordered the Sprintbooster as highlighted in the improved responsiveness between 0-1/2 pedal below (I'll let you know how it works out when it gets here). BTW is it a lot of money to that gain, I feel it might be well worth it.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:02 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2023 XC60 PHEV, 2023 XC40 BEV
I experienced a very similar situation as fromthebeginnin mentioned and that is why I purchased and installed the SB. Since the installation, I haven't noticed the previously infuriating lag and I now constantly keep the SB in "Green" mode. I remain a very satified SB customer.

And as far as my MPG, it hasn't changed pre-SB to post-SB. But post-SB, my SPM (Smiles per Mile) has increased dramatically!!

Last edited by samkimg; 03-01-2011 at 04:04 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Current: 2011 W212 Previous: 2008 W211 2006 550 2001 Rover 1997 W210
I'm sure SB is a great and reliable product, but it only has to mulfunction once. Does anyone know what would happen then? I don't.
I too am very interested in a response to this.

I definitely don't want to have a Toyota moment with my MB cuz of SB.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Sprint Booster