E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Latest Euro NCAP data

Old 01-28-2011, 12:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Latest Euro NCAP data

New data using the most recent revised test criteria.

Looks good for the W212 although whiplash received a "marginal." The C Class also received marginal. They did change the headrests for the W212. Maybe they'll do a re-design in 2012 after this recent data. Or are the 2011 headrests now even different than the 2010? This test was using a 2010 model.

It seems like car mfgs do take note and address these things unlike in the past. The F10 BMW is way better than the previous E60 version. In fact it received the highest numerical ranking (including whiplash) of all. The W212 followed in second.

Car safety is definitely better than even a decade ago.

http://www.euroncap.com/results/merc.../2010/397.aspx

http://www.euroncap.com/results/bmw/.../2010/401.aspx

http://www.euroncap.com/whiplash.aspx

Here's the list in a pdf file...
Attached Files
Old 01-28-2011, 07:16 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Like last year, I think the reason for the low whiplash ratings is because of them disabling NeckPro for the test. They also said they disabled PreSafe for whatever reasons as well.

The W212 doesn't seem to fare too well in standardized frontal Tests (NHTSA, NCAP) aside from the IIHS Test. It is interesting to note however, that the F10 had 7mm of steering wheel movement VS the E's 0, and the F10 had 34mm of pedal movement (into the occupant space) VS the E's 0, although they obviously didn't affect scores/passenger load in a crash of this speed).

The F10 scored a point for "Speed Limitation Assistance", and the E didn't, which is weird, as I thought the E had something like that in the EU (reading sign MPH's?). And lastly, looks like BMW's caving so hard to the EU regulations with that blunt snout helped them in the Pedestrian ratings. The whole pedestrian thing blows, as sooner or later, M-B will probably make their two remaining models (S and E) with "non regulation caving" fronts fully blunted (although they've stated that those will be the only two models with extensive enough R&D in other areas up front, like clamshell-popping-up bonnet, etc., to keep the a more cascading look), which would look awful with the Luxury grille face.

The F10 seems to be a great safety test performer, while the E60 was relatively poor (mainly in the IIHS Side Test). One area the F10 seems weak on, is in its roof strength, as the IIHS (only roof strength tester) has shown it to not hold up as well as one would expect in this day and age up there. Maybe it's because BMW is so confident in the road holding capabilities in the car, that they assume no one would ever roll it over.

Last edited by K-A; 01-28-2011 at 07:21 AM.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
They mention deactivating all PreSafe sorts of mechanisms in all brands. But only in side and frontal impacts. Both BMW and MB have active headrest functions (MB calls it NeckPro) and these whiplash tests were done with active headrests working. And they did give the W212 an award for PreSafe despite deactivating it during the test.

The older (pre-E90) 3 series had marginal whiplash in Euro NCAP, NHTSA, and IIHS. And yeah, the E60 was not good in side impacts.

Whiplash is a concern in urban traffic, for sure. It's so easy to get rear ended.

One thing that was confusing is that they gave the F10 kudos for the BMW Assist eCall (immediate contact in case of an accident) but doesn't MB have the same thing via SOS? Maybe the BMW system worked better(?)

Luckily there seems to be no big red flags on any of the current sedans in this class, and even in smaller compact cars. People generally tend to not have much interest in these tests and say they're flawed, but I'm glad the manufacturers take note and quickly address issues (even though they have their own testing methods and facilities.)

And yeah noses will get blunter. I even noticed it with the W212. The other day I looked at a side view only of the nose and it's definitely much flatter than any previous E Class.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:21 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Yeah, the 212's nose is definitely blunter already. Any more and it would lose that traditional more smoother cascading look completely (although pre-90's faces were extremely blunt as well, but placement was all different). Some BMW rep on another Board stated that M-B put lots of $$$$ into keeping the W212 at having some kind of a less-flat look, whilst BMW didn't bother. I wonder how the next S will be affected. Kind of sucks, as the blunt face look isn't already so elegant, and it can get old quick.

I'm surprised about the NCAP whiplash rating, since the IIHS gave M-B and BMW (I think) perfect ratings. NCAP must be really stringent. I wonder what M-B will do to probably improve those headrests even further (safety wise).

Yeah, the SOS and Speed Limit Detector things make no sense.

When it comes to safety, I try and use all the avenues presented, and after crash pictures, numbers, stars, etc. to determine on my own what I personally perceive as safest. Good thing is, cars are insanely safer now than they were yesterday. You can get a $15K car nowadays, that isn't sacrificing on the safety front at all (i.e, you don't have to be "rich to afford safety").
Old 01-28-2011, 06:30 PM
WGB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W212 E500, W164 320CDI, W116 450SEL 6.9, W116 450 SEL.
Surprised about the whiplash score as well given how high M-B pushes the benefits of their active whiplash prevention system.

Is it possible that a Euro 220CDI doesn't have this system or that somehow it is incompatible with their testing method.

Bill