E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

An 18 inch rim story

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
04 CL55 (sold), 2012 CLS550 (sold), 2014 S550 (sold), 2015 ES300H (DAILY)
Originally Posted by EmE247

Funny **** that danlnyclhoe posted that intersection of Wilshire and Western as this is exactly where it happened. Avoid Wilshire Blvd. like a plague when driving in LA.
Amen to that. But more so than Wilshire, Western should be completely avoided as well. Not only is it ridiculous bumper to bumper traffic at all times of the day, the potholes are so big, and so unavoidable you have no choice but to drive over it and hope that there is no damage.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350
Originally Posted by peeta123
i now regret buying the 18" AMG wheels

the regular 18" wheel seems to be much easier to wash than the AMG wheels

I have the sport package with 18" 5-spoke wheels. Are these tires / rims less likely to suffer damage versus the 18" AMG wheels?

I have hit some nasty potholes (loud thunks!) and luckily have not suffered any damage. They also seem remarkably clean considering all the salt and nasty weather her in New England.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:29 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by danlnyclhoe
Have you tried filing a claim against the city of LA? They will reimburse you for those damages (half, I believe) if you file the proper paperwork. I know what you mean though, after that freak storm we had last month potholes around LA became unbearable. I hardly take my car out anymore...and especially avoid Wilshire and Western...

Good thing I get my tires for free
Originally Posted by park423
I did with the city of West Hollywood. Their ins. adjuster is claiming it is a DWP fault and need to file claim with them. The pothole was half filled with water from a leaking pipe somewhere so I had no idea how deep the pothole was. Anyway, my dealer covered half the cost of 2 new tires/towing/install as a courtesy.

Thanks for the suggestion but may not get covered
What is the proper process to take in doing this? I.e, who do you call to even file a claim against any city????

Originally Posted by ngerstman
Fate will not **** with me again this winter!! I am buying a set of 17's for the e550 and putting the Michelin Primacys on as well. I will report back to the forum with my assessment of the handling/ride trade-offs. And I'll also be back with a synopsis of next week's "Glee". Regards. Ned.
Lol. Nice.

Wilsher is HELL!! I feel like I'm navigating through potential explosives. L.A is all becoming like that.

Nowadays, in L.A, you can't enjoy any more HP than 200 (traffic), and you can't enjoy any literal ride short of a Phanton (potholes).

Nothing nicer than taking your beloved nice Benz out to cruise, and quickly watching your smile turn to a cry, as you drive through holes and road surfaces that sound like your car is about to become unscrewed apart.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'11 350 4matic - '14 Stingray: Gone, BMW 530i, Porsche 944 Turbo, Porsche 356, Mitsubishi 3000GT
I was heading into NYC on Saturday night to have dinner at the Gramercy Tavern(one of the best restaurants in NYC) and to see a play. I was on the helix heading for the Lincoln Tunnel, which puts you in midtown Manhattan, when I hit a nasty pothole with my right side tire about 1/4 mile from the toll booths. Sure enough, the tire pressure warning system goes on, the display turning red showing 1 lb. of pressure in the tire. Oh ****. I go through the toll booths and pull into the service area zone between the right and center tubes before you enter the tunnel. In front of me is a Mercedes s550 having his front right tire changed by Mercedes roadside assistance. Being a cold rainy night, I think that this is my lucky day, considering the circumstances. I get out of my car and the roadside assistant says that he will change my flat as soon as he is done. I get back into my car and gaze into the red tire warning display and much to my dismay, notice that there is 2 lbs. of pressure in my right rear tire!! A double blow out. What are the odds. An hour and a half later, I was towed to Morristown Mercedes, my night up in flames. I'm seriously considering moving down to 17 inch rims. Will the forum mock me? Will I become a forum outcast? Will I be forced to watch "Glee"? Regards. Ned.
Sorry to hear that Ned. That's a groove crusher for a nice night out. Only thing worse would be having to sit through Spiderman (bad reviews... much).

I have heard of the same thing numerous times. My salesman pointed out the wheel insurance (whatever they call it) and said it was one of the only "at closing" things he would recommend. Of course I didnt get it, so knowing my luck I am probably due for a blow out.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:09 PM

'11 E350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by BenzE350
I have the sport package with 18" 5-spoke wheels. Are these tires / rims less likely to suffer damage versus the 18" AMG wheels?

I have hit some nasty potholes (loud thunks!) and luckily have not suffered any damage. They also seem remarkably clean considering all the salt and nasty weather her in New England.
I drive my car everyday and I live in Michigan. Maaan oh Maaan, the road condition is bad especially now (winter season). I have the non-AMG wheels, sport package, 5-spoke. I agree with BenzE350. I hit many patholes and stupidly the same patholes again and again until I remember them. But has not suffered any damage. The cleaning portion is the best on this wheel. Very easy to clean.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:15 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

I LOVE these wheels. Not only are they one of my personal favorite designs, but they are a CINCH to clean. So that's a plus.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:10 PM
MCF

E350
Sorry to hear about wheel damage. I was going to go with 18" wheels in my wife's luxury but it makes me feel good knowing she can get around safely without risk of damage (we all know if there is something in the road a woman will hit it.....Hehehehe).
Old 02-09-2011, 09:25 PM

C220, E350
Originally Posted by MCF
Sorry to hear about wheel damage. I was going to go with 18" wheels in my wife's luxury but it makes me feel good knowing she can get around safely without risk of damage (we all know if there is something in the road a woman will hit it.....Hehehehe).
i recommend you dont get the AMG wheels

they look nice at first but cleaning them is a pain in the *** especially since i live in canada and it snows
Old 02-10-2011, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 CL55 (sold), 2012 CLS550 (sold), 2014 S550 (sold), 2015 ES300H (DAILY)
Originally Posted by K-A
What is the proper process to take in doing this? I.e, who do you call to even file a claim against any city????
I think you are supposed to go to the city hall to fill out the proper paperwork. For me, a lady who worked at the city hall came into my shop with the paperwork ready so all I had to do was fill it out. I'll ask and let you know by today
Old 02-10-2011, 01:25 PM

'12 CLS 550 4matic
Originally Posted by danlnyclhoe
I think you are supposed to go to the city hall to fill out the proper paperwork. For me, a lady who worked at the city hall came into my shop with the paperwork ready so all I had to do was fill it out. I'll ask and let you know by today
You'll wind up more than paying for it in the long run anyway. The more people that file claims against the city, the more the city will find excuses to raise taxes to cover them!
Old 02-10-2011, 02:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'14 ML350 GONE-'12 GL450/'10 E550/'10 ML350/'09 C300/'07 ML350/'03 E320
[quote=K-A;4509052]What is the proper process to take in doing this? I.e, who do you call to even file a claim against any city????

You just go the particular city's website, they have general claim forms you submit to the city manager's office for damages from sidewalks, roads etc.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:50 PM

326 Sport package (17" wheels)

Agree with everyone on the wheels. Around the NYC metro area it looks like a combat zone with all of the potholes. For those who have 18", I would recommend a set of 17" winter tires. You can keep these on until April or so - until the end of pothole season which is usually 30 days or so after winter is over. There are some nice 17" options out there which look good on the car. If you are ordering a car, consider the 326 Sport Package which is the regular sport sedan but with 17" wheels instead of 18". The wheel is the same one used on the Sport wagon and also a Sport diesel. Looks good on the car and is exponentially better in handling potholes. Happy driving!
Old 02-20-2011, 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 246 Likes on 156 Posts
2023 EQS 580
What would contribute more to bending/cracking the rim, Low tire pressure or high tire pressure?

Logic tells me that it would be low tire pressure but from reading different car forums it seems as though some people think that high tire pressure is worse.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:29 PM

E350
Originally Posted by Tjdehya
What would contribute more to bending/cracking the rim, Low tire pressure or high tire pressure?

Logic tells me that it would be low tire pressure but from reading different car forums it seems as though some people think that high tire pressure is worse.
Well, the best idea is the proper tire pressure as noted in the owner's manual.

Low tire pressure could casue more damage to your tires from potholes.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:08 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

We just had some more rain in SoCal, and damn, I saw some potholes that looked like you'd get stuck in the center of the Earth if you hit them. It's ridiculous. Even in my Chevy, with soft suspension and 16's (absorbs rough surfaces better than my Benz), I was swerving around them, afraid of damaging something if I hit them. It'd be petrified if I hit them in my Benz.

About the PSI. Having them TOO low is obviously detrimental to the wheel. However, I'd think that having them rock hard/too high, is also gonna harm the rim if forces deem necessary. It also will harden up the ride, since the tires aren't able to absorb any pressure themselves.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:58 PM

E350 and E450
Another tale of Woe

Also live in LA. 3 weeks after getting the car, riding on San Vicente, in the rain, blew the right front. 2 weeks later, Wilshire and La Jolla, blew both the right front and right rear. 11:00 PM at night, wife and 2 kids, and had to wait to close to midnight for AAA to tow me to the closest dealer.

I lease and did not have the tire protection. Dealer comp'd me one tire, but my wheel alignment went as well, and had to pay for that as well as the other tire. I am not paranoid, nor a conspiracy type of person, but I've been driving for 45 years, have hit a pothole or two in my time, and never blew a tire (nor 2! at one time). Something about this car, or the Continentals on it.....
Old 02-21-2011, 07:26 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 Audi S8 Plus/ 2011 Mercedes e550 4Matic//Gone:1985 500SEL/2000 e320 4Matic/ 2001 e55 Kleeman
Originally Posted by Bruin22
Also live in LA. 3 weeks after getting the car, riding on San Vicente, in the rain, blew the right front. 2 weeks later, Wilshire and La Jolla, blew both the right front and right rear. 11:00 PM at night, wife and 2 kids, and had to wait to close to midnight for AAA to tow me to the closest dealer.

I lease and did not have the tire protection. Dealer comp'd me one tire, but my wheel alignment went as well, and had to pay for that as well as the other tire. I am not paranoid, nor a conspiracy type of person, but I've been driving for 45 years, have hit a pothole or two in my time, and never blew a tire (nor 2! at one time). Something about this car, or the Continentals on it.....
I started this thread and feel your pain. I have been driving around on these roads in the NY metro area all my life and never had a blowout. Like you I did the front and rear right tires with the 18 inch rims and Conti tires. I had trepidation about getting 18 inch rims and my worst fears were realized within six weeks of owning the car. Despite the fact that I have the tire and rim protection, I put 17's and Michelins on the car. Want to minimize the chances of that happening so easily again. I just hope that its not more related to the airmatic suspension. When I hit the pothole, it does seem to me that there wasn't a hole lot of give on the suspension. That, unfortunately could be a contributing factor in the blowouts. Anyone else think that the airmatic could have contributed to the blowout issue? Regards. Ned.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:36 PM

2011 E350 Sport 4Matic - P2 & Drivers Assist / 2010 C300 Sport 4Matic - P2 / 2013 Porsche Cayenne S
Originally Posted by Bruin22
hit a pothole or two in my time, and never blew a tire (nor 2! at one time). Something about this car, or the Continentals on it.....
My car has Pirelli's on it and they still blew; it's not the Contis...
Old 02-21-2011, 07:39 PM

2011 E350 Sport 4Matic - P2 & Drivers Assist / 2010 C300 Sport 4Matic - P2 / 2013 Porsche Cayenne S
Originally Posted by K-A
About the PSI. Having them TOO low is obviously detrimental to the wheel. However, I'd think that having them rock hard/too high, is also gonna harm the rim if forces deem necessary. It also will harden up the ride, since the tires aren't able to absorb any pressure themselves.
Too high of a pressure is also going to screw with the tire itself. Like you said it will definitely harshen up the ride but also the tires will wear out uneven on the surface if over inflated past the manufacturer's recommendation.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:44 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

I started this thread and feel your pain. I have been driving around on these roads in the NY metro area all my life and never had a blowout. Like you I did the front and rear right tires with the 18 inch rims and Conti tires. I had trepidation about getting 18 inch rims and my worst fears were realized within six weeks of owning the car. Despite the fact that I have the tire and rim protection, I put 17's and Michelins on the car. Want to minimize the chances of that happening so easily again. I just hope that its not more related to the airmatic suspension. When I hit the pothole, it does seem to me that there wasn't a hole lot of give on the suspension. That, unfortunately could be a contributing factor in the blowouts. Anyone else think that the airmatic could have contributed to the blowout issue? Regards. Ned.
I don't see why it would help or hurt in regards to a blowout.... BUT, another thing that can worry you, is that all those rough surfaces that are harsh enough to blow out your tires, are wearing out the Airmatic that is designed to coddle you from them. With all these hellacious roads, I can imagine that down the line, Airmatics might continuously prove to be costly to maintain. But M-B has improved on their durability (it was weak when the W220 and early W211's debuted them), on the positive side.

I wonder if M-B and the like are going to start re-evaluting wheel options and sizes for these cars (at least for the standard models), as it seems about everybody is complaining about blowouts on major city's ravaged roads. This is seemingly happening more, as manufacturers are offering sizes like 18"ers as standard on some cars (when they used to be options, akin to how 20's are today). Or, if they're gonna pony up more dough, to supply forged wheels.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:45 PM

E350 and E450
I suspect the airmatic

Like Ned, I suspect the airmatic has something to do with this. By the way, the first time, my car was on the sport suspension setting, and the second time, it was on the comfy mode setting. I think as Ned said there just isnt the same give or play as a normal shock/spring set up.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 246 Likes on 156 Posts
2023 EQS 580
I don’t think the Airmatic has anything to do with it. A couple E350 owners have blown tires in the same situation. Also BMW owners complain about the same thing but they like to blame the runflats more.

Personally I find it strange that you guys are shocked that you blew tires after hitting a pothole.
If I blew tires after hitting a pothole I would be disappointed and I would be upset at myself for hitting it (and maybe a little upset at the city). I would not be shocked and upset at the car/wheel/tire manufacturer.

This thread is weird to me. Its like being upset at MB after you get a speeding ticket because MB built a car that can go faster than the speed limit.

And the only thing weirder than this thread is the fact that I am the only person that feels this way... I am making an appointment with my shrink... Immediately lol
Old 02-22-2011, 10:13 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
E400S4 '17
Sorry to hear about the wheel problems.

Check out the 17" Gulshorn wheels for the E W212 on special from your MB dealer [link]

One of our Scandinavian friends has these for his winter wheels on his W212 wagon and they look good too.

I would have got these wheels for my S550 in a heartbeat, but the dealer said they wouldn't fit, so I went with 18"s to switch out with my AMG 19"s when the weather and roads cooperate.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 843 Likes on 609 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by Tjdehya
I don’t think the Airmatic has anything to do with it. A couple E350 owners have blown tires in the same situation. Also BMW owners complain about the same thing but they like to blame the runflats more.

Personally I find it strange that you guys are shocked that you blew tires after hitting a pothole.
If I blew tires after hitting a pothole I would be disappointed and I would be upset at myself for hitting it (and maybe a little upset at the city). I would not be shocked and upset at the car/wheel/tire manufacturer.

This thread is weird to me. Its like being upset at MB after you get a speeding ticket because MB built a car that can go faster than the speed limit.

And the only thing weirder than this thread is the fact that I am the only person that feels this way... I am making an appointment with my shrink... Immediately lol

Wrong!

I feel like you too...

Rubber between road and rim is the only thing keeping rim from getting damaged or to blow out the tire. Less rubber means less cushion...
Old 02-22-2011, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
CLS550 4Matic, C43, E350, ML350
well you should get winter set of tires...these plows use the metal tips which basically creates the potholes...i dunno why they cannot spend more money and get the rubber tips......u dont need to go to 17s for this.....keep 18s and put snow tires

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: An 18 inch rim story