E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

An 18 inch rim story

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 11:50 AM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2023 XC60 PHEV, 2023 XC40 BEV
Here in NorCal, I too was driving "exuberently" and hit a pot hole at speed. Developed a slow leak on the inner sidewall that showed via the TPMS 100 miles later with a full car of family in SF. I didn't buy the tire/rim insurance from the dealer so I went to America's Tires, bought a replacement Pirelli and THEY sold me tire insurance for pennies on the tire. BOTH cheaper than MB dealer. Thankfully, the alignment and rims (stock MB 18" sport rims) were OK, but with all of these stories and others on the boards, what else CAN we do?

Originally Posted by LaicepsYdobon
My car has Pirelli's on it and they still blew; it's not the Contis...
Old 02-22-2011, 01:17 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 Audi S8 Plus/ 2011 Mercedes e550 4Matic//Gone:1985 500SEL/2000 e320 4Matic/ 2001 e55 Kleeman
Originally Posted by Tjdehya
I don’t think the Airmatic has anything to do with it. A couple E350 owners have blown tires in the same situation. Also BMW owners complain about the same thing but they like to blame the runflats more.

Personally I find it strange that you guys are shocked that you blew tires after hitting a pothole.
If I blew tires after hitting a pothole I would be disappointed and I would be upset at myself for hitting it (and maybe a little upset at the city). I would not be shocked and upset at the car/wheel/tire manufacturer.

This thread is weird to me. Its like being upset at MB after you get a speeding ticket because MB built a car that can go faster than the speed limit.

And the only thing weirder than this thread is the fact that I am the only person that feels this way... I am making an appointment with my shrink... Immediately lol
It's not that I'm blaming Mercedes per say. I do feel strongly that the push toward ever bigger rims to increase profit margins and sell more cars due to cooler look is partly behind this epidemic. My 1986 500sel had 15 inch rims and my 2000 e320 had 16 inch. Dealers should discourage the average driver from getting 18 inch rims, especially on 4matic sedans, in parts of the country when one has moderate to severe winters, if not everywhere. 18 inch rims just have too little rubber and air. I would argue that after 17's the advantages for 99.9% of drivers is non existant. As a matter of fact, it's a detriment as far as comfort and tire and rim integrity. The dealers should be way more upfront about the downside of bigger rims. And as I said, I'm wondering if the airmatic setup(there are no springs) just has less give and travel than a traditional shock/spring arrangement. That would explain all of these blowouts. Regards. Ned.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
There really is no mystery to this. It is a simple equation.
Lower profile tires on larger rims = higher probability of wheel/tire damage. It is all in the how the wheel and tire hits the pothole. I have hit potholes that would knock your fillings out with no damage, and then I have hit seemingly minor potholes and bent a rim. All in how the cookie crumbles. In the old days of steel wheels and hub caps and high profile tires, this was not a common occurance. Ah the price of style.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Current: 2011 W212 Previous: 2008 W211 2006 550 2001 Rover 1997 W210
Borrowing my bro's 2011 W212 w/ stock 18's while my car is getting some work done and noticed the tires were still pretty low profile for a stock wheel. Usually stock tires have more rubber.

No wonder even people w/ the stockies are having problems with their wheels/tires.

Back in the day, you never had to worry about potholes w/ stock wheels unless the potholes were crater-sized.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:00 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
'11 E350BTC P2 Leather
Originally Posted by ngerstman
It's not that I'm blaming Mercedes per say. I do feel strongly that the push toward ever bigger rims to increase profit margins and sell more cars due to cooler look is partly behind this epidemic. My 1986 500sel had 15 inch rims and my 2000 e320 had 16 inch. Dealers should discourage the average driver from getting 18 inch rims, especially on 4matic sedans, in parts of the country when one has moderate to severe winters, if not everywhere. 18 inch rims just have too little rubber and air. I would argue that after 17's the advantages for 99.9% of drivers is non existant. As a matter of fact, it's a detriment as far as comfort and tire and rim integrity. The dealers should be way more upfront about the downside of bigger rims. And as I said, I'm wondering if the airmatic setup(there are no springs) just has less give and travel than a traditional shock/spring arrangement. That would explain all of these blowouts. Regards. Ned.
My dealer told me yesterday that 95% of what they sell (in New England mind you) is Sport, and that if I want Luxury, pickings will be slim off the lot.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:13 PM

2016 Audi S8 Plus/ 2011 Mercedes e550 4Matic//Gone:1985 500SEL/2000 e320 4Matic/ 2001 e55 Kleeman
Originally Posted by mikemargolis
My dealer told me yesterday that 95% of what they sell (in New England mind you) is Sport, and that if I want Luxury, pickings will be slim off the lot.
My sense was that a lot of the e550's were sport and that it was hard to find a luxury in inventory. There seemed to be many more e350 luxury's around. For whatever reason, the sport "upgrade" is no additional cost from Mercedes in the e's. Not sure why since bigger rims and bigger tires do cost more. I ended up with the sport because I needed to do the trade and the color and equipment that I wanted wasn't available in a luxury. Regards. Ned.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:36 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by mikemargolis
My sense was that a lot of the e550's were sport and that it was hard to find a luxury in inventory. There seemed to be many more e350 luxury's around. For whatever reason, the sport "upgrade" is no additional cost from Mercedes in the e's. Not sure why since bigger rims and bigger tires do cost more. I ended up with the sport because I needed to do the trade and the color and equipment that I wanted wasn't available in a luxury. Regards. Ned.
This is exactly why I keep saying that MBUSA should CHARGE for the Sport Package, like they used to, and like everyone else does. Not only does it keep the enthusiast dignity, and uniqueness of the Sport appointment alive, but it protects drivers from the harsher suspension, and the damage-friendly bigger wheels. Most E buyers wouldn't pay a penny extra for a Sport Package, proving that most don't care. Let us who care pay extra for the exclusivity, and the fussy pot-hole problems, and the sportier ride.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 249 Likes on 158 Posts
2023 EQS 580
Originally Posted by K-A
Most E buyers wouldn't pay a penny extra for a Sport Package, proving that most don't care. Let us who care pay extra for the exclusivity, and the fussy pot-hole problems, and the sportier ride.
I still don’t like the idea of paying extra for nothing but this statement makes so much sense that you are 100% correct with this thought.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:15 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

I mean, Sport Packages are there for enthusiasts. "We" will pay more to have a cooler looking version than the Granny next to us, and we'll deal with the problems. The whole effect gets a little diminished when everyone's got the "cool" Package. Although, sure, I'm happy I got it for free, and you are right, in that MBUSA is really doing us a justice, in technicality, by not charging us for vanity or for "exclusivity" here, and just giving us what is free, for free. Although, I do think that the Sport stuff must cost a little more. I.e, bigger and fatter wheels, more aggressive tires, more aggressive suspension components (although, the softer components technically cost the same probably), hooded dials inside, etc.

But yeah, I'll bet most E buyers would obviously take the cooler looking one off the lot, but the Luxury Package wouldn't diminish sales, and it certainly wouldn't make most people pay more for the Sport Package (and those who do, will provide M-B with a profit from the markup), and I'll assume that they will appreciate the softer, and less fussy ride, and the "Pot holes? No problem!" aspect.

Last edited by K-A; 02-22-2011 at 11:18 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by K-A

I mean, Sport Packages are there for enthusiasts. "We" will pay more to have a cooler looking version than the Granny next to us, and we'll deal with the problems. The whole effect gets a little diminished when everyone's got the "cool" Package. Although, sure, I'm happy I got it for free, and you are right, in that MBUSA is really doing us a justice, in technicality, by not charging us for vanity or for "exclusivity" here, and just giving us what is free, for free. Although, I do think that the Sport stuff must cost a little more. I.e, bigger and fatter wheels, more aggressive tires, more aggressive suspension components (although, the softer components technically cost the same probably), hooded dials inside, etc.

But yeah, I'll bet most E buyers would obviously take the cooler looking one off the lot, but the Luxury Package wouldn't diminish sales, and it certainly wouldn't make most people pay more for the Sport Package (and those who do, will provide M-B with a profit from the markup), and I'll assume that they will appreciate the softer, and less fussy ride, and the "Pot holes? No problem!" aspect.
I would be one ugly looking granny!! In a strange way, what you say makes a lot of sense. It is certailnly not intuitive to say that it ever makes sense to charge more for something, from the consumer perspective, and initially thought that it was thoughtful of Mercedes for not charging extra for the sport package. But your points are reasonable. Let them charge more for the sport package to discourage the average buyer from making a "vanity mistake" and keep it more exclusive for those who really care and are willing to live with the downside of bigger rims. I like it!! And they should fully disclose to all potential buyers of the sport package the pros and cons, stressing the cons. Regards. Ned.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:53 PM
MCF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350
It seems to me that either the 18" MB wheel design or the 18" wheels plus the MB sport suspension is not a good combination. Look at all the other cars that come with 18"+ wheels stock and they don't seem to be having the same problems. BMW 3 and 5 series come with 18" and 19" wheels and look at the low profile tires on Porshe's new 5 seater. How come these drivers aren't replacing their wheels every time it rains?
Old 02-23-2011, 06:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 GL450
Originally Posted by MCF
It seems to me that either the 18" MB wheel design or the 18" wheels plus the MB sport suspension is not a good combination. Look at all the other cars that come with 18"+ wheels stock and they don't seem to be having the same problems. BMW 3 and 5 series come with 18" and 19" wheels and look at the low profile tires on Porshe's new 5 seater. How come these drivers aren't replacing their wheels every time it rains?
I can't count how many times my wife had to replace tires on her BMW 3 series 18-inchers because of potholes/bumped curbs. I'm guessing 15 tires or so over several years.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 249 Likes on 158 Posts
2023 EQS 580
Originally Posted by MCF
Check the BMW forums... they whine just as much as the guys in this thread. I think the only difference is that most of them know what they are getting into and thus they dont whine on the forums about it as much.

Also BMW owners are better drivers.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:54 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Yup, lots of problems in the same vein from BMW drivers.

It is true that, they buy those cars expecting that sort of thing, and are more willing to deal with it. The E-Class should go back to having the more rarified OPTION to deal with it IMO (which I would choose, BTW).
Old 02-24-2011, 01:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W212 E63
I cant believe some guy from Cali told us that he had bad roads. NJ/NY had one of the worst winters. I commute to the city daily and I can tell you we def have the worst roads by far this year! One pothole in cali does not translate to bad roads LOL