E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Any E Wagons on here?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 12:41 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 Audi S8 Plus/ 2011 Mercedes e550 4Matic//Gone:1985 500SEL/2000 e320 4Matic/ 2001 e55 Kleeman
Originally Posted by black-clk500
Hi Ned,
I agree about the ride and handling and ALSO the plasticy faux wood.
I also felt like the seats were cheap feeling and almost LAZY BOYish.
And the dash and front end of the car appeared dated when compared to the Germans; the salesman told me it's getting refreshed in a year or two.
Don't get me wrong, I understand why it's so popular and gets good reviews, it has great size, reliability(from what I hear) and good power and handling.
It just didn't reach out to me and say "buy me"
I didn't feel any emotion toward the vehicle, I know that sounds funny, but if I'm spending a nice chunk of change on something, I gotta at least feel some excitement--otherwise I would already be driving the minivan

I hope you understand that I'm not bashing your opinion or your vehicle because I'm not.
I respect your opinion, otherwise I wouldn't have tested the vehicle
Different strokes for different folks, I guess that's why we all don't chase the same woman!
I hear you. This model was new in 2010 so I wouldn't expect a refresh until the 2013 are out at the earliest. There are many buyers out there who hate the front grill. I don't love it either but its not as bad on the MDX as it is on models such as the TL for example. I find the overall design to be acceptable, not as nice as the BMW, but in this class of vehicle it seems that no one has the total package. But aside from some quibbles with looks, it is the clear or near leader in technology, ride and handling, functionality, comfort and reliability. I have my e550 and Kleemanized 2001 e55 to satisfy my total enjoyment needs, my wife loves the total package that you get with the MDX and I don't mind driving it because it performs so well for what it is. And if it is going to be a people mover on ocassion, the third row seat might be the easiest to use and best in class. That makes all the difference in the world to many. And isn't this vehicle for your wife? Did she check it out? And wasn't it you that I saw chasing Scarlette Johanson the other day right in front of me? Regards. Ned.

Last edited by ngerstman; 02-16-2011 at 12:49 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
The VW Toureg, Audi Q7, and Porche Cayen are all built off the same platform. The V6 TDI Toureg would be my first choice. The MDX and Honda Pilot are built off of the Honda Oddessy minivan platform. All high quality. A co-worker of mine just got a Cadillac SRX and, I am fairly impressed with it for the type of vehicle it is. Overall, I am just not an SUV/Minivan kinda guy.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Current: 2011 W212 Previous: 2008 W211 2006 550 2001 Rover 1997 W210

You have got to be kidding me!
I will get divorced and leave the country before I put a minivan in the garage I don't care how nice it is

Thanks for sharing the advice, but we're done with two kids.
I felt the same way about the minivan. My wife... not so much.

Family of four; me, my wife, and my 2 daughters, ages 4 years and 4 months. Safety was our primary concern, then comfort.

We looked into all of the family cars including the Honda Odyssey (minivan) and ended up going with the Honda Pilot. Not the best looking family car out there, but best bang for the buck and probably one of the safest cars. The Pilot is pretty large, so great to lug around the kids and groceries and very comfortable.

Our final picks were among the Ford Flex, Chevy Traverse, MDX, X5, Honda Odyssey, and the larger SUV's like the Tahoe and Denali.

Last edited by EmE247; 02-16-2011 at 03:09 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'14 911S (garage queen) '13 X3 (family hauler)
Originally Posted by ImInPA
The VW Toureg, Audi Q7, and Porche Cayen are all built off the same platform. The V6 TDI Toureg would be my first choice. The MDX and Honda Pilot are built off of the Honda Oddessy minivan platform. All high quality. A co-worker of mine just got a Cadillac SRX and, I am fairly impressed with it for the type of vehicle it is. Overall, I am just not an SUV/Minivan kinda guy.
actually drove that too (didn't want to muddle the choices more on here) and thought it was nice and was a smooth ride and very unique styling inside and outside.
Must admit the interior was nicer than all the Japanese cars I looked at IMO.
The wife said NO CADDYI didn't like it enough to fight for it--I felt like it would get tiring and dated quickly--my .02
Plus, we buy all American cars(for image sake) for my business and I just don't see them lasting and the same level of quality as the Germans and Japanese reliability.

Thanks for the comments!

Last edited by black-clk500; 02-16-2011 at 05:32 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Update:
Looks like I may be parking another Benz in the stable
Sales mngr where i bought my AMG back in Sept. is at 8% off MSRP, $1500 conquest money and two years maintenance included.
I know they got 10% in the car, so I'm going to try for the full 10% depending on my trade value.
I gave him a deposit over the phone to hold my conquest money and free maintanece, could be BS, but in MA they can't keep my deposit anyway.
Looking at 2011 E wagon black/black, p1, sport pkg, pano, 18" AMG wheels.

I'll keep everyone posted, it's not sealed until we all agree, but it's getting close
Any other discounts available for Mercedes clubs, etc you know about?

Thanks
Old 02-18-2011, 07:13 PM
ipp

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W166 ML350 BT
Old 02-20-2011, 08:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds like a very good deal. Once thing to keep in mind. You may consider the standard 17" wheels if you are driving in the NE. The potholes flatten the 18" with regularity and the 17" may be a better choice for your better half. As much as I like the look of the 18", the 17" are the only way for me to survive the NY/NJ winter potholes. I also prefer the 4 spoke steering wheel but that's a personal choice. Definitely go with the sport though as it really works well on the wagon. good luck
Old 02-23-2011, 11:32 PM

2011 E350 4Matic T-Modell
Update:
Looks like I may be parking another Benz in the stable
Sales mngr where i bought my AMG back in Sept. is at 8% off MSRP, $1500 conquest money and two years maintenance included.
I know they got 10% in the car, so I'm going to try for the full 10% depending on my trade value.
I gave him a deposit over the phone to hold my conquest money and free maintanece, could be BS, but in MA they can't keep my deposit anyway.
Looking at 2011 E wagon black/black, p1, sport pkg, pano, 18" AMG wheels.

I'll keep everyone posted, it's not sealed until we all agree, but it's getting close
Any other discounts available for Mercedes clubs, etc you know about?

Thanks
Great choice!!!!! I don't like SUVs. The Wagon (T-Modell) has a great smooth ride that is handles well for such a large heavy car. It's has a great compromise between sport and comfort. The car tracks beautifully on the highway.

If you are going to drive it in snow. Get a set of winter rims and snow tires even though it is AWD.

Here is a great video comparison test with the E-Class T-Modell:
http://mediacenter.dw-world.de/engli...T_Model_BMW_X5

Here is a video on 4 Matic:
http://mediacenter.dw-world.de/engli...ercedes_4Matic

Last edited by vsbabolat; 02-23-2011 at 11:47 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well the hunt is over.
Unfortunately, it's not going to be another Benz.
We just placed the order for our new family mobile.
2011 X3 every option (except sports pkg) 2.8 Vermillion Red/black leather
We should get it in about 3-4 weeks, since they're made in the US.
Hopefully Billy Bob won't forget any screws

I was actually getting a great deal on the Benz wagon 10% off MSRP, $1500 conquest cash, and two years maintenance, but my wife liked the X3 after driving it--it's light years ahead of the old X3 and really sweet Navi/idrive and it drove much better than our e91.
Plus my wife loved the Vermillion Red color, she didn't like any of the Benz colors, go figureTypical woman.

All in all I would have liked the E wagon, but she liked the Red X3, upside is I saved about $10k versus the E wagon.
She's happier and I got more money for my toys---now what should I get next?

Just wanted to close out the thread, thanks for everyone's input any questions about the new X3, feel free!

Last edited by black-clk500; 02-24-2011 at 02:18 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:40 PM

2016 Audi S8 Plus/ 2011 Mercedes e550 4Matic//Gone:1985 500SEL/2000 e320 4Matic/ 2001 e55 Kleeman
Well the hunt is over.
Unfortunately, it's not going to be another Benz.
We just placed the order for our new family mobile.
2011 X3 every option (except sports pkg) 2.8 Vermillion Red/black leather
We should get it in about 3-4 weeks, since they're made in the US.
Hopefully Billy Bob won't forget any screws

I was actually getting a great deal on the Benz wagon 10% off MSRP, $1500 conquest cash, and two years maintenance, but my wife liked the X3 after driving it--it's light years ahead of the old X3 and really sweet Navi/idrive and it drove much better than our e91.
Plus my wife loved the Vermillion Red color, she didn't like any of the Benz colors, go figureTypical woman.

All in all I would have liked the E wagon, but she liked the Red X3, upside is I saved about $10k versus the E wagon.
She's happier and I got more money for my toys---now what should I get next?

Just wanted to close out the thread, thanks for everyone's input any questions about the new X3, feel free!
I personally think that is a good compromise. I know that I'm more comfortable having at least one SUV type vehicle in my fleet. As nice as the Mercedes wagon is, it just doen't have the ground clearance or the big suv tires of even a smallish suv like the x3. Best of luck!! Ned.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks Ned.
The cargo area on the X3 was about six inches wider and four inches taller than our current wagon.
And the rear leg room is four inches bigger.
Not huge differences, but enough for our needs and actually not that different than the E wagon measurements.
The E wagon is a better vehicle IMO, but my wife liked the X3 a lot especially that silly red color and she never really liked the E wagon.
I wasn't going to push the E wagon on her because I know eveytime something goes wrong, she's going to blame me for it
I must say that the idrive and the Navi tech goodies kill anything MB offers right now.
Being able to pull up emails, texts, etc. on the screen is pretty sweet
Honestly, the fact that it's made here in the US is a little worrisome for me, but I guess time will tell about QC.
This will be my fourth bimmer and up to this point they have all been bullet proof.
Hopefully, Billy Bob took good notes when Otto was instructing him
Old 02-27-2011, 10:35 AM

Thanks Ned.
The cargo area on the X3 was about six inches wider and four inches taller than our current wagon.
And the rear leg room is four inches bigger.
Not huge differences, but enough for our needs and actually not that different than the E wagon measurements.
The E wagon is a better vehicle IMO, but my wife liked the X3 a lot especially that silly red color and she never really liked the E wagon.
I wasn't going to push the E wagon on her because I know eveytime something goes wrong, she's going to blame me for it
I must say that the idrive and the Navi tech goodies kill anything MB offers right now.
Being able to pull up emails, texts, etc. on the screen is pretty sweet
Honestly, the fact that it's made here in the US is a little worrisome for me, but I guess time will tell about QC.
This will be my fourth bimmer and up to this point they have all been bullet proof.
Hopefully, Billy Bob took good notes when Otto was instructing him
Not to worry. Billy Bob would have taken notes if he knew how to write!! Does the new x3 have the new turbo 6 cylinder? I test drove the new x5 with that engine and thought that it was great. Regards. Ned.