Touch up for Scratches

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 GLE 4MATIC
Touch up for Scratches

Hi,
I noticed the other day, I have couple of scratches, about 8 inches long on the trunk area. Not sure how I got it, but my guess is, possible from removing the ice. Not sure. Anyway, they are not deadly scratches, but the white is clearly showing out of black trim...

Would like your advise on touch up, or something. Thanks.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Black W212 E550
Check this site out and their video if you decide to do it yourself I've used it on other cars.

http://www.langka.com/
Old 02-25-2011, 12:32 PM

E350 Coupe
If when you drag your fingernail across the scratch and you can feel the scratch. It is probably to deep to polish out. However that would be the first option. Mequiars makes a product called Scratch X2 that would be inexpensive to try and can be used by hand. If they can't be polished out I would take it to a body shop and get an estimate. I have never found a good method of fixing scratches and chips that don't at least show a little. I've tried the Langka repair kit. Have not tried Dr. Colorchip but, from the reviews the repair is still visible.

Last edited by steelgrey; 02-25-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:16 PM

'11 E350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Westwind
Hi,
I noticed the other day, I have couple of scratches, about 8 inches long on the trunk area. Not sure how I got it, but my guess is, possible from removing the ice. Not sure. Anyway, they are not deadly scratches, but the white is clearly showing out of black trim...

Hello Westwind,

Last week, I noticed the same thing on my trunk lid when cleaning my car. I had long white scratch line about 7" long
I then used this product below($10 minus 10% discount from mentioning AAA). I purchased it in Auto Zone part.

http://www.turtlewax.com/main.taf?p=2,1,4,5

Make sure the surface is clean. I then applied the black stick to over the scratch area (black dull color). Then buff it with my 10" rotary budding machine (micro fiber cloth). The scratch was gone. Then I applied the polish liquid (Black luquid).... and buff it again with that machine.... Wooo hooo, back to super clean...

Good luck!
Old 02-25-2011, 01:29 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
2014 E550 Coupe and 2010 E350 Sedan
if it's just in the clear coat, you can use some scratch remover. It's a liquidized very fine grit sandpaper. Most of htem do the job fairly nicely. Depending on how deep the scratch is, you might have to do a few applications of it. If the scratch is past the clear coat into the paint, well...not much you can do outside of a repaint.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:47 PM

2016 GLE 4MATIC
You guys are amazing. Thanks for the ideas. I will give it a shot and post my outcome. Its not a deep one, so hopefully, it will be gone. Not losing sleep on it, just saw it so I thought I'd ask. Thanks again!
Old 02-25-2011, 03:02 PM

2011 E550 Sport (traded), 2012 SLK 350; 2013 GL450 on order for OCT delivery
Originally Posted by hanjaya1
Hello Westwind,

Last week, I noticed the same thing on my trunk lid when cleaning my car. I had long white scratch line about 7" long
I then used this product below($10 minus 10% discount from mentioning AAA). I purchased it in Auto Zone part.

http://www.turtlewax.com/main.taf?p=2,1,4,5

Make sure the surface is clean. I then applied the black stick to over the scratch area (black dull color). Then buff it with my 10" rotary budding machine (micro fiber cloth). The scratch was gone. Then I applied the polish liquid (Black luquid).... and buff it again with that machine.... Wooo hooo, back to super clean...

Good luck!
I used that system previously. It works well but the repair is temporary since it is nothing more than a wax stick and a color tinted liquid wax. After time in the sun and a few washings, the scratch will reappear. However, since it is a simple process, one can do it time and again.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:51 AM

2011 E350 Sport 4Matic - P2 & Drivers Assist / 2010 C300 Sport 4Matic - P2 / 2013 Porsche Cayenne S
Originally Posted by Westwind
Hi,

An asshat of an Escalade driver decided to swing his/her door open and scratch up my drivers side door pretty bad. I too had deep scratches that went down to the primer. I brought a tube of Quixx from Amazon after doing some research and it totally took care of the scratch. I don't know how Quixx did it but it was like a miracle in a tube. I am by no means super handy but even I was able to make the scratches disappear from the door in under 5 minutes. You can read about my experience and see the before and after shots in this thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...-lazy-guy.html