My First (future) 12-hour Road Trip

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 08:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
Originally Posted by K-A
Yikes, I personally wouldn't put anything like that near my car. Best bet is to make sure the car has a proper coat of Wax or better yet, Sealant on it.
Really? PAM is pure vegetable oil. It is totally harmless, but, it is excellent for this purpose. It is practically invisible and wahses off completely with a regular car wash. Have done this for about 35 years. Another advantage is that it prevents the bugs from etching into the paint or having to "scrub" them off. Wax is good for protection, but, the impact of the bug itself at highway speeds makes the wax coating mute. I use it on my motorcycle's farings as well.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:13 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Interesting. I admit I don't know what "Pam" is, so I don't have an actual basis to judge it off of. I've always just been scared to put anything on my car that isn't essentially designed for cars. Seems to be a good secret though.

I do spend a good amount of time after each long drive scrubbing off dead bugs from my car, which isn't fun.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Stay away from concrete trucks and newly poured concrete (sidewalks and roads both) as much as possible. A few years ago I picked up some concrete/cement splatters on the side of my car and did not notice until I went to wash it several weeks later. It had become embedded in the paint itself. Concrete/cement does this. Had to repaint entire side of car.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 GLE 4MATIC
Originally Posted by park423
You can press mute every time the voice comes on but you can also turn it off in the nav settings
This featured annoyed the heck out of me the first week of ownership
I am back, yet I have not opened the Manual so still scratching my head. Promise, I will look this up. In the mean time, I did try different things. One was to press the Mute button when voice came up - It did either of two things: If my iPod was playing, it placed that on mute. If iPod was on mute, it started singing like there is no tomorrow.

I also went into Nav Settings, but it could be my ignorance, but I could not find a thing on turning Voice commands off.

Like I said, I am going to dig the Manual on my free time as it is not an emergency anymore and figure this out.

One more thing I forgot to mention: The Multi-contour seat. I would run the Massage every few hours, and let it run until it stops automatically. It may sound so cliche, but it does work when you need it. The trick it to push hard back on the seat while its working its way up or down. That helped a lot. Also, since I was the only driver, I programmed my seat to all 3 available settings to different positions, the first one being my most comfortable one. And from time to time, I would switch back and forth with them. This allowed me to change the 'scenario' if you will, and get rid of the monotony.

Pam spray? Worth considering.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E350 Sport 4Matic - P2 & Drivers Assist / 2010 C300 Sport 4Matic - P2 / 2013 Porsche Cayenne S
Originally Posted by Westwind
*Coffee cup warning: It beeped several times that night. C'mon, it was raining hard, there were times when I could barely see the lane reflectors, and yes, I was not going straight at times. I believe the car was confused because I was not sleepy at all. I had test driven a 2010, and in that the steering shook. In 2011, it gives you a beep. I dont like the beeps.
The reason why the steering shook in the 2010 is because of the Lane Depature warning part of the Driver's Assist Package. If you cross the dotted lines the steering will vibrate. If you cross a solid line the car will pull you back gentrly. In both cars the Attention Assist (coffee cup) will just chirp angrily at you and display a message on the screen.

Good writeup of your trip. Glad it went smooth.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:47 PM

2016 GLE 4MATIC
[quote=LaicepsYdobon;4620997]The reason why the steering shook in the 2010 is because of the Lane Depature warning part of the Driver's Assist Package. If you cross the dotted lines the steering will vibrate. If you cross a solid line the car will pull you back gentrly. In both cars the Attention Assist (coffee cup) will just chirp angrily at you and display a message on the screen.

Thanks for clarifying. I remember, that 2010 I test drove did have DA package.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:17 PM

2011 E350 4Matic Estate in Mystic Red
Originally Posted by Westwind
I also went into Nav Settings, but it could be my ignorance, but I could not find a thing on turning Voice commands off.
Yes, I could not find that either.

I have to say that the way the Navi-Audio-Phone works is confusing and complicated. I've had my car for less than a week, and I have never had something so complicated to use for a long time - and I am NOT technologically challenged at all.

I pity all those elderly Mercedes drivers who have to make sense of it.

It does not help that the instruction manual does not give much in way of explanation of the features, just instructions to follow. (prescriptive, not descriptive)

Last edited by rovermark; 04-12-2011 at 10:58 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:57 PM

2011 E350 4Matic Estate in Mystic Red
Pam sounds like a good idea, but I would be a little reluctant in putting Pam on the paintwork... what will happen in the sun? The oil may bake in or form a film on the car!
Old 04-13-2011, 08:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
Originally Posted by rovermark
Pam sounds like a good idea, but I would be a little reluctant in putting Pam on the paintwork... what will happen in the sun? The oil may bake in or form a film on the car!
Firstly, you only use the PAMon the grill, and frontal areas...not all over the hood. Unless you are going to expose your vehicle to temperatures above say 375 degrees, it will simply keep the bugs, tar, and grime from adhering to the paint. Below about 400 degrees, it is perfectly stable. Far more stable than automotive waxes and polishes. It is a purely organic (vegetable oil) product that will have no reactions at all with paint, plastic, rubber, etc. It is safe for human consumption and environmentally friendly. It is far less likely to harm the paint or trim than the adhesives on the clear films (which are designed to bond to the finish.) As I said, I have used this technique for over 30 years and the only thing I have ever experienced is a smile when all of the accumulated road crap just rinsed off. You are more likely to do damage rubbing the bugs off. This time of year we are in "pot hole" repair mode in my area. Lots of fresh tar to be had. This works really well on keeping that tar from sticking too.

Last edited by ImInPA; 04-13-2011 at 08:40 AM.