E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

track day

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 e350
track day

Hi, has anyone taken their e350 to the track? My friend just got his 2011 e63 and ask me to joint him for track day, and I know my e350 is no sport sedan. Is there anything I should watch out for since I have never been to the track. Is going to be at Thunderhill here in Norcal on the 22nd, anyone wants to joint?
Old 04-11-2011, 12:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 GL450
Is this a car-club sponsored event, or open day at the track? If the former, there will be formal rules you will need to follow and should be published somewhere.

If the latter, I'd advise you to stay off the track until you have done the former. Instead, maybe catch a ride with someone with lots of experience. You'll be amazed at just how fast one can go on the track. I've seen stock Dodge Neons in good hands blow by Ferrari's, Vipers, etc., in the hands of the inexperienced (not exaggerating). Most importantly, however, the most dangerous situation on a track is a new driver who does not know the racing line -- this driver becomes unpredictable and erratic when he/she tries to "not get in the way." I've seen many crashes caused by people trying to be nice.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:25 PM

'11 350 4matic - '14 Stingray: Gone, BMW 530i, Porsche 944 Turbo, Porsche 356, Mitsubishi 3000GT
Pictures of me at the track . Have Done Ferrari, Nascar and Open Wheel Indy. Indy Car is hands down the coolest experience...I am still smiling. If you are a confident and good driver I'd go for it. Enjoy
Attached Thumbnails track day-dsc_0385.jpg   track day-dsc_0413.jpg   track day-dsc_0394.jpg  

Last edited by BPhillyBenz; 04-12-2011 at 09:20 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:38 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
I'm not a fan of pushing my W212 to the limits (not why I bought the car, so makes me feel foolish to do so, not to mention the dangers and repercussions, etc.), but drag racing at the track is fun, and you can have fun doing it in any kind of car, or any powered car. I'm sure people will get a kick out of seeing a nice Benz Sedan lining 'em up.

Just make sure you understand the dynamics of drag racing on a track, avoid the water box, don't do any silly burnouts as it isn't necessary in this car and will only eat up your tires, know how the light countdown works (rule of thumb, always go at the last yellow before it goes green.... Natural human reaction lag will probably get you right on point to the green), turn off T/C, etc.

I wish there was a track around me still. Also, post the 1/4 mile times, as I'm curious as to what these things run, I'm assuming a mid-high 14 at about 95-98 MPH, in good conditions and low altitude.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:52 PM

2015 GL450
You guys are making assumptions about the form of the track day. BPhillyBenz, you are assuming the track day is organized and the flow of cars is managed. K-A, you are assuming it is some sort of drag strip.

Organized track days are good, assuming the coaching is good. Thunderhill does not seem to be a drag strip.

http://thunderhill.com/staticpages/i...?page=TrackMap

Without more input from the OP, it is hard to tell whether the track day is organized or disorganized. I've seen both. On one disorganized day, I heard people joking about a Porsche 911 getting itself suspended in a tree (Summit Point Raceway) -- later I learned one of my buddies was involved, and he was indignant at my jokes. As an experienced driver, I say stay off of the track if you don't know the racing line, and if you don't know to stay on it when being passed. If, on the other hand, it is an organized event with rules about passing, then everyone understands and things are much safer. The original post is not clear about this matter.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:55 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Ahh, I see.

If it involves actual "Track Racing" I'd never do it in my E350. I don't see how that in any way can be joyful. In a Porsche, yes. Same reason I wouldn't want to take a Porsche on a 5 hour trip.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:32 AM

'11 350 4matic - '14 Stingray: Gone, BMW 530i, Porsche 944 Turbo, Porsche 356, Mitsubishi 3000GT
Originally Posted by ttoE550
You guys are making assumptions about the form of the track day. BPhillyBenz, you are assuming the track day is organized and the flow of cars is managed. K-A, you are assuming it is some sort of drag strip.

Organized track days are good, assuming the coaching is good. Thunderhill does not seem to be a drag strip.

http://thunderhill.com/staticpages/i...?page=TrackMap

Without more input from the OP, it is hard to tell whether the track day is organized or disorganized. I've seen both. On one disorganized day, I heard people joking about a Porsche 911 getting itself suspended in a tree (Summit Point Raceway) -- later I learned one of my buddies was involved, and he was indignant at my jokes. As an experienced driver, I say stay off of the track if you don't know the racing line, and if you don't know to stay on it when being passed. If, on the other hand, it is an organized event with rules about passing, then everyone understands and things are much safer. The original post is not clear about this matter.
I always figured it was slalom track...I was just sharing my own track experiences...all good.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:34 PM

2010 e350
The event is hosted by Hooked on driving, and is not a racing event.They will assign an instructor to me since I signed for beginner level. The instructor will guide me throught the track and gradually explore the limit on the track. Most open track day required track experience so this will be a good learning experience for me.
Im not going to push the car, is not an amg. I'll let you guys know how the car handle on the track. My friend will let me do some run in his e63, maybe I'll get hook and trade up for an amg.

Last edited by kcaidds168; 04-12-2011 at 12:58 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:11 PM

2015 GL450
Originally Posted by kcaidds168
The event is hosted by Hooked on driving, and is not a racing event.They will assign an instructor to me since I signed for beginner level. The instructor will guide me throught the track and gradually explore the limit on the track. Most open track day required track experience so this will be a good learning experience for me.
Im not going to push the car, is not an amg. I'll let you guys know how the car handle on the track. My friend will let me do some run in his e63, maybe I'll get hook and trade up for an amg.
Then you'd be a fool not to do it! You will probably be required to have a helmet and gloves. While they might provide them, it's a lot like borrowing underwear. Have fun. As they say, pedal fast!
Old 04-12-2011, 01:43 PM

2015 GL450
A couple of other things I learned the hard way: If you wear glasses, consider getting contacts. Glasses don't fit very well under a helmet, and mine got knocked off (inside my helmet!) by a nasty tank-slapper. I am so near-sighted I barely found my way back.

EDIT: You might want daily disposable with backups. There's lots of dirt, oil, and exhaust in the air at most tracks.

If you are in the market for a helmet and gloves, you might as well get racing shoes. You might feel silly but they make it a lot easier to avoid hitting the gas and the brake at the same time since they have narrower and thinner soles.

Make sure any helmet you buy conforms to the safety standards required by Hooked On Driving -- I can't remember for sure, but I don't think street motorcycle helmets do. I might be wrong.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E350 Sport 4Matic - P2 & Drivers Assist / 2010 C300 Sport 4Matic - P2 / 2013 Porsche Cayenne S
Don't forget to stay away from haters:

http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...-is-racin.html
Old 04-12-2011, 11:32 PM

2015 GL450
Originally Posted by LaicepsYdobon
Don't forget to stay away from haters:

http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...-is-racin.html

The Schumi chop!

Didn't Schumacher try this move against Villeneuve?
Old 04-13-2011, 07:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E350 Sport 4Matic - P2 & Drivers Assist / 2010 C300 Sport 4Matic - P2 / 2013 Porsche Cayenne S
Originally Posted by ttoE550
The Schumi chop!

Didn't Schumacher try this move against Villeneuve?
Hahaha yes; good memory ! However Schumi's execution of this move was much more classier
Old 04-13-2011, 01:23 PM

2010 e350
haha, and insurance don't cover accident on track. I will keep some distance from other cars. the event is not a race, but i sure don't want other people to crash into me.