Advice on break-in period

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E350 4Matic Estate in Mystic Red
Advice on break-in period

Hi all,

I will be picking up my S212 wagon in a week or so. I cannot recall what the break-in period is, but I will almost immediately be making an approximately 1000mile trip on the highway, followed by another 300 mile trip afterwards.

Here are my questions: what is the "break-in" period, and how does Mercedes suggest one drives through that period? Do you have any suggestions how I am follow that advice that given that I am going to be going on a 1000 mile trip? What will happen if I do not break-in the engine (what are the long-term effects)?

Thanks
Old 03-28-2011, 12:55 PM

2011 E550 Sport (traded), 2012 SLK 350; 2013 GL450 on order for OCT delivery
The break-in instructions in my owner's manual were such that the car could be driven normally for both city and highway cruising -- not staying at a constant speed for extended periods of time and basically no hard acceleration.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally Posted by scfishnman
The break-in instructions in my owner's manual were such that the car could be driven normally for both city and highway cruising -- not staying at a constant speed for extended periods of time and basically no hard acceleration.
You can read the Owner's Manual for U.S. cars by going here. I didn't see manuals on the Canadian website.

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/servic...owners_manuals
Old 03-28-2011, 01:54 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
I would take it easy the first 1000 like mentioned in the manual...
you could also solicit opinons when accepting delivery.....I found that useful to
help build bonds with tech's and good relationships with those who service the car....
those folks know tons, although reluctant to share sometimes, about the in's and out's ot MB......
but yeah, various speeds, not flooring it, lol, conservative......also gives you a chance to ease into all the controls and your new surroundings.....

enjoy!
Old 03-28-2011, 05:08 PM

Thanks for the replies + link. It is going to be difficult though to vary speeds when you are driving 5 hours on the highway. No hard acceleration I can manage. What are the long-term consequences if a car is not properly treated during the first thousand miles or so?
Old 03-28-2011, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
I'm glad I saw this thread...the same question has been on my mind too.I just took delivery of my Bluetec on Friday and have already taken a 180 mile (round trip) Interstate trip.I made it a point to vary the speeds....55mph for about 10 minutes and then 70mph for 10 minutes and then repeat.I'm a rather sedate driver so I almost never floor it...or even come close.My only question is is the break in period handled the same way for gassers and diesels.I assume it's pretty similar.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:48 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by rovermark
Thanks for the replies + link. It is going to be difficult though to vary speeds when you are driving 5 hours on the highway. No hard acceleration I can manage. What are the long-term consequences if a car is not properly treated during the first thousand miles or so?
I personally can't say what the risk's would be, but knowing myself....
as BAD as I would want to take the new car........maybe take a different one if you can..........just sayin'

good luck

don't forget to post some pix.....
Old 03-28-2011, 06:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E350 Sport 4Matic - P2 & Drivers Assist / 2010 C300 Sport 4Matic - P2 / 2013 Porsche Cayenne S
Originally Posted by listerone
My only question is is the break in period handled the same way for gassers and diesels.I assume it's pretty similar.
Yes the basic principle is the same but the length of the break-in period is longer for diesels because of the low RPMs. Check your cars manual because I'm certain the break-in is longer than 1,000 miles.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:02 PM

2011 E350 Sport 4Matic - P2 & Drivers Assist / 2010 C300 Sport 4Matic - P2 / 2013 Porsche Cayenne S
You know there is someone who has to mess up the harmonious vibe of this thread. Let it be me this time. What do you think about this link ? Muhahahahahahaha...

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

And for the record I break all my cars in like all of you; according to the manual.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts
...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
Like many of you,I have had many new MB's and drove them normally,avoiding high rpm and hard braking. A mix of highway and city driving usually makes for a great break in. Porsche prefers more hwy at variable speeds not exceeding 4200rpm for 3,000kms. It's not rocket science,just avoid aggressive driving,simple as that.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by petee1997
Like many of you,I have had many new MB's and drove them normally,avoiding high rpm and hard braking. A mix of highway and city driving usually makes for a great break in. Porsche prefers more hwy at variable speeds not exceeding 4200rpm for 3,000kms. It's not rocket science,just avoid aggressive driving,simple as that.
This is good, sane advise. Like you said; anyone with a little common sense can figure it out. However, I have done two European Deliveries with BMW once for myself and once I went with a friend. Both times they were encouraging us at The Welt that it's OK to go maximum speed on the Autobahn. With my car I took it easy for the first 1,200KMs (1,000 miles) and then gradually started giving it more and more on the autobahn. When I went with my buddy he drove his car like he stole it from the minute he left The Welt and while his car never had any serious mechanical issues it did end up requiring more oil then mine.

This is just a random video I found of someone taking delivery of the car and then going straight to the autobahn with it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AjkPQmnoWw
Old 03-28-2011, 08:42 PM

S212 2011 Wagon and Wife's 2014 C350 sedan.
The Break-in

When we spend the amount of money we do for our Mercedes we want to make sure we treat it correctly from the beginning. The break-in is one of those areas where the "Car guys" usually differ from the "non-car guys".
For me, the break-in is very important. After reading what the manufacturer says to do I adapt it to what has worked for me over the years.
Not to go into the number of vehicles but the various types of engines, water cooled, air cooled, single, twin, four, straight six, v six, flat six, v eight, turbo, twin turbo, aircraft six, aircraft six turbo and jet engine aircraft, I have broken-in new, changing the oil is the most important procedure one can do to ensure longevity in an engine.

On a new engine, I always change the oil within 500 miles or ten hours.
I changed the oil on my new E350 at 500 miles and was surprised at how dark the oil was. Now, at 2700 miles, the oil is still very transparent, clean.
I would recommend to the OP, change your oil when you get back home. That will help ensure a long life for your new Mercedes.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 BMW 540d
Originally Posted by SKYKING44
On a new engine, I always change the oil within 500 miles or ten hours. I changed the oil on my new E350 at 500 miles and was surprised at how dark the oil was. Now, at 2700 miles, the oil is still very transparent, clean.
Evidence I've seen (on an MB website) strongly suggests that they use "break in" oil at the factory on at least some of their vehicles.If true that would argue against early oil changes,IMO.Do you have evidence suggesting that that's not the case...with Mercedes at least? Just curious...I honesty don't know for sure and I understand that you just might!
Old 03-28-2011, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by listerone
Evidence I've seen (on an MB website) strongly suggests that they use "break in" oil at the factory on at least some of their vehicles.If true that would argue against early oil changes,IMO.Do you have evidence suggesting that that's not the case...with Mercedes at least? Just curious...I honesty don't know for sure and I understand that you just might!
I've heard the whispers about break-in oil being used also. And the advise about changing your oil is probably the most important thing here so far on this thread but for the wrong reason. As SkyKing44 suggested change your oil after 500km because of all the metal particles that got shaved off from your new engine are all collecting inside it. The last thing you want is to have those small metallic particles keep going through your engine over and over again.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:25 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
I took my car on a 600 mile round trip the day after I got it.

You should be fine. Try not to use the CC, and that should force the RPM's to shift a bit more.

There are lots of gearheads who SWEAR by hard break-ins, but again, they're gear-heads, and they have different wants from the engines. Performance wise I can see a benefit to a hard break-in, but reliability and overall quality of care wise, I really don't.

About the changing the Oil right away, I don't DIY, so I'm just waiting until the car tells me to take it in.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts
...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
I am not sure about MB but Porsche has a magnetized drain plug that picks the metal shavings that the filter misses. I doubt that changing the oil at 500 miles accomplishes anything. If the factory uses break in oil then it would be harmful. In any event MB recommends 20,000kms(12,000mi) and I think that is sufficient. I am sure their engineering dept has studied this to death.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
Originally Posted by petee1997
I am not sure about MB but Porsche has a magnetized drain plug that picks the metal shavings that the filter misses. I doubt that changing the oil at 500 miles accomplishes anything. If the factory uses break in oil then it would be harmful. In any event MB recommends 20,000kms(12,000mi) and I think that is sufficient. I am sure their engineering dept has studied this to death.
This is very true. In addition, the tolerances of modern engines are so precise, and, friction reducing coatings used on cylinder linings do not suspend anywhere near the amount of metal into the oil as engines from 20 years ago. A mechanic I know well suggests "lugging" the engine during break-in, if you have a manual transmission. That said, one can never go wrong following the MFG's instructions, but, you do not need to baby a new engine like in the old days.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:09 PM

K-A: what is the CC you are referring to?

I am confused as two responses are being posted here: some are saying should be fine if I don't push the car, others are saying to try to avoid taking the car, which I can do and was thinking of actually doing based on hyperion's response.

My normal driving patterns are as follows: 2 miles to work daily for 5 days, then 400 miles round trip over the weekend. Would the 2 miles a day put a lot of stress on the engine during the break-in period? So, if you had the same driving pattern, would you acutally try to take the car on a long-trip to avoid the short trips that the car would have to endure for about 1 to 2 months?
Thanks
Old 03-29-2011, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
There is

no break in oil used on these production engines.
Drive it,change oil as indicated 0w40 gas
5w40 diesels mobil1 syn
A long trip will have plenty of variable engine speeds.
The biggest thing to break in is seating the brake pads on the rotors. That will keep you happier longer.
No panic stop,don't sit at lights with the foot on the brakes after long periods of hot braking or after stopping from speed.
Enjoy
Changing good oil at 500 miles is a waste of good oil.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 BMW 540d
My normal driving patterns are as follows: 2 miles to work daily for 5 days, then 400 miles round trip over the weekend. Would the 2 miles a day put a lot of stress on the engine during the break-in period? So, if you had the same driving pattern, would you acutally try to take the car on a long-trip to avoid the short trips that the car would have to endure for about 1 to 2 months?
God knows that I'm no expert on automobiles (or anything else!) but *everything* I've read suggests that short trips...particularly in cold weather...are *very* tough on cars and since I've started buying quality vehicles I've avoided short trips as much as possible.As a result about 90% of my miles are Interstate miles.....most other travel is on public transportation or foot (I live within walking distance of a supermarket,etc).
Old 03-29-2011, 06:22 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
K-A: what is the CC you are referring to?

I am confused as two responses are being posted here: some are saying should be fine if I don't push the car, others are saying to try to avoid taking the car, which I can do and was thinking of actually doing based on hyperion's response.

Thanks
I think you're over-thinking it, just drive it and enjoy. The long distance will be fine, but concentrate on mixing the speeds up a little bit, and I was referring to Cruise Control.

Short distance trips are not good for cars either, but hey, if you gotta do it then you gotta do it, and I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure it gets to the normal operating temperature when you're driving it to work.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by K-A
I think you're over-thinking it, just drive it and enjoy. The long distance will be fine, but concentrate on mixing the speeds up a little bit, and I was referring to Cruise Control.

Short distance trips are not good for cars either, but hey, if you gotta do it then you gotta do it, and I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure it gets to the normal operating temperature when you're driving it to work.
Yes, you're right. I will just drive gently. Thanks for all the responses.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:50 PM

S212 2011 Wagon and Wife's 2014 C350 sedan.
Break-in

Just arrived back in town, Listerone: Regarding factory "Break-in Oil" my dealer, here in Minnesota, confirms the factory does not use any special "Break-in Oil" in these vehicles.
Also, a few years ago, I toured the Porsche factory and watched them build an engine, they put it on the engine check station and would run the engine, cold, up to red line to check the engine data. When it passed, it was put into inventory waiting to be put into a car. Now, the engines are tested as they are being assembled and once done are put into inventory with out each one being run on a test stand. My current 09 C4S was filled at the factory with regular Mobil 1 0 W 40.m My Porsche tech. highly recommends changing the oil before the regular 10,000 mile first oil change.
Petee1997, I have an 09 C4S and change my own oil. My vehicle does not have a magnetized oil drain plug and I am not aware of one being available as an OEM part on current Porsche cars.
I also visited the BMW factory in Spartanburg S.C. The engines are built in Germany and shipped over here for the X5, X3, Z4 vehicles. They use regular Castrol Syntec. No special Break-in oil.
Each of us has our own "Oil Issues" and, based on our experience, background and peer pressure does our own thing.
All track "guys" change their oil after each major event. It is very inexpensive insurance.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 BMW 540d
Just arrived back in town, Listerone: Regarding factory "Break-in Oil" my dealer, here in Minnesota, confirms the factory does not use any special "Break-in Oil" in these vehicles.
Also, a few years ago, I toured the Porsche factory and watched them build an engine, they put it on the engine check station and would run the engine, cold, up to red line to check the engine data. When it passed, it was put into inventory waiting to be put into a car. Now, the engines are tested as they are being assembled and once done are put into inventory with out each one being run on a test stand. My current 09 C4S was filled at the factory with regular Mobil 1 0 W 40.m My Porsche tech. highly recommends changing the oil before the regular 10,000 mile first oil change.
Petee1997, I have an 09 C4S and change my own oil. My vehicle does not have a magnetized oil drain plug and I am not aware of one being available as an OEM part on current Porsche cars.
I also visited the BMW factory in Spartanburg S.C. The engines are built in Germany and shipped over here for the X5, X3, Z4 vehicles. They use regular Castrol Syntec. No special Break-in oil.
Each of us has our own "Oil Issues" and, based on our experience, background and peer pressure does our own thing.
All track "guys" change their oil after each major event. It is very inexpensive insurance.
Hey,thanks for the info,Skyking.As I've already admitted I'm no car expert and the only thing I've seen that really caused me to believe that MB uses "break-in" oil is an entry I recently saw on their "bevo" website that makes reference to it.I used to change my own oil but the surgeon who recently replaced my hip (yah,I'm ancient) says the days of me changing my own oil are over but I plan to double the frequency that the factory specifies....every 6 months or 5-7K miles.

And hey...BTW...how are Penny and The Songbird? (If you're as old as me you'll know what that means!)
Old 03-31-2011, 09:04 AM

Also, a few years ago, I toured the Porsche factory and watched them build an engine, they put it on the engine check station and would run the engine, cold, up to red line to check the engine data. When it passed, it was put into inventory waiting to be put into a car. Now, the engines are tested as they are being assembled and once done are put into inventory with out each one being run on a test stand.
Funny you mentioned that. Last night I watched Ultimate Factories and they showed the Porsche factory. I winced a little when they finished assembling the engine and did the cold start. No fluids just an electronic crank and they redlined the fresh engine. Then when the engine and the chassis were married and fluids were put in the car they rolled it onto a dyno and revved it up to 75mph. I saw them do the same thing in South Carolina in the factory with X5s.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Advice on break-in period