E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Opening driver door while rolling, ouch!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG
I think it's a feature only on 2011's
Old 05-02-2011, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 888 Likes on 638 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by WWMIndy
I think it's a feature only on 2011's

If you are replying to my post - mine is a 2011.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:55 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2010 E350, 2015 S550
Mine is a 2010 P2, Will creep forward or backward with the door open. Did not try to open the door at 35. I'll let someone else try that experement. My guess is nothing will happen.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E350 SPORT, P1, PANO, IRIDIUM/BLK, R08, SPOILER PCKG, BLK ASH
UPDATE: So now that i've had it lock up three times (2 times by the car wash), the tranny is noticably louder. Today I went down to the local dealer and played with a showroom e350 to compare and i was right. This so-called safety feature has already began to take a toll on the tranny and will unfortunately take time out of my schedule only to have the service dept tell me there's nothing they can do.

SIDE ISSUE: my auto up/dwn windows now have a mind of their own lol. I hit down they go up, i hit up and they go down WTF!!! Dont all things happen in 3's??? i cant wait to see what goes wrong next
Old 05-03-2011, 02:15 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Lol. Exile, mine have been doing the same thing (windows). Apparently the fix is easy and you just do the "window recalibration" thing. I did it and so far so good (I think).

About the tranny, that SUCKS, and is horrible that it's now noisier and more beat up. I'm pretty sure my car doesn't do this, and am gonna try it with nervousness at a very low speed.

I'd take it in and say that the car shouldn't do it, and ask them to eliminate that "feature". If they give you any guff, find an E350 on the lot or something, that doesn't do it.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
The park lock in a tranny is just that, a lock. It is highly unlikely that that could make your transmission louder. If anything, it could shear off and not lock anymore, but, it does not comeinto play with the gears. Your transmission is essentially in Neutral when you are in park. You must have other things going wrong. Fortunately for you, now that it is getting louder it should be a simple diagnosis and fix.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by ImInPA
The park lock in a tranny is just that, a lock. It is highly unlikely that that could make your transmission louder. If anything, it could shear off and not lock anymore, but, it does not comeinto play with the gears. Your transmission is essentially in Neutral when you are in park. You must have other things going wrong. Fortunately for you, now that it is getting louder it should be a simple diagnosis and fix.
It's louder when shifting the car to and from park while completely still, not shifting while driving. The tranny is still beautiful when actually driving, but thats not my complaint. I realize the car has it's signature noise it makes when shifting into D or R but now this noise is getting louder
Old 05-03-2011, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
Originally Posted by exil3
It's louder when shifting the car to and from park while completely still, not shifting while driving. The tranny is still beautiful when actually driving, but thats not my complaint. I realize the car has it's signature noise it makes when shifting into D or R but now this noise is getting louder
I would definitely get that looked at during your next service or sooner. It seems to be solenoid operated (if someone knows for sure, please chime in). It is not unusual for solenoids to make additional noise over time, but, it would be easy to park your car next to a new one at the dealership, start them both, then listen as you take them in and out of gear. If it is significantly different, they should be able to fix that easily for you.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by ImInPA
I would definitely get that looked at during your next service or sooner. It seems to be solenoid operated (if someone knows for sure, please chime in). It is not unusual for solenoids to make additional noise over time, but, it would be easy to park your car next to a new one at the dealership, start them both, then listen as you take them in and out of gear. If it is significantly different, they should be able to fix that easily for you.
That's exactly what i just did. I took myself down to the dealer and sat in a showroom e350 where it's quiet and compared their new one to mine, and it was obvious my tranny was louder.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by K-A
Lol. Exile, mine have been doing the same thing (windows). Apparently the fix is easy and you just do the "window recalibration" thing. I did it and so far so good (I think).

About the tranny, that SUCKS, and is horrible that it's now noisier and more beat up. I'm pretty sure my car doesn't do this, and am gonna try it with nervousness at a very low speed.

I'd take it in and say that the car shouldn't do it, and ask them to eliminate that "feature". If they give you any guff, find an E350 on the lot or something, that doesn't do it.
LOL guess the window thing is a common occurence ...with all due respect im glad it's not just me lol. I'll try your fix, cross my fingers and hope for the best. With regards to the tranny, if the service dept acknowledges it and can fix it I'm happy, but im concerned they'll pull their sorry bud i dont know what your talking about i cant hear anything card.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:26 PM

Special thanks to K-A...did the "window calibration" and all seems to be working correctly. Much appreciated!!
Old 05-04-2011, 05:42 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Old 05-07-2011, 02:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1998 Mercedes-Benz E320
This feature sounds like something that could probably be disabled via STAR diagnostics like many other features. Try going to an indie with STAR and see if they can do anything about it.
Old 09-10-2019, 05:48 PM
Banned

2019 c43 AMG
Originally Posted by exil3
So this morning i tried something different. First opened my door, then put it into R and everything was fine, was able to back out with door open no prob (the display turned red, thats about it tho). The AUTO P feature only kicked in when opening the door while already rolling. Eventho i kinda figured it out i dont plan on repeating it, dont want to potentially damage anything, love the car.

My only issue now lies where the prob began, at the car wash. They always open the door while rolling to make room for the next car in line. The first and only time i saw this happen, it wasnt good to hear the tranny lock up like that. guess i just have to remind them every time and hope they remember long enough to not do it
The first time you experienced it happened, did you notice anything wrong with the car thereafter? The thing was, i purchased a 2019 c43 amg not to long ago and i am not aware of this feature. I was rolling and i opened my door because i was greeted by service. I did not open my windows because my car was newly tinted and is not cured yet. I heard this petrifying grinding noise and car went to park. I am afraid I damaged something
Old 09-10-2019, 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,384 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Did you try to drive it after?
The parking latch in transmission is just latch. Even when you grind, it, it will not prevent transmission from doing its job.
MB for long years have self-prevention programs and would not shift to P or lower gears when the speed would cost any danger.
I guess nobody tried to open door on W212 at higher speed yet?
Old 09-10-2019, 07:49 PM
Banned

2019 c43 AMG
Originally Posted by kajtek1
Did you try to drive it after?
The parking latch in transmission is just latch. Even when you grind, it, it will not prevent transmission from doing its job.
MB for long years have self-prevention programs and would not shift to P or lower gears when the speed would cost any danger.
I guess nobody tried to open door on W212 at higher speed yet?
I drove it just a little bit after. Like around 5-6mph as i was trying to line up for service. No engine light whatsoever but i am a bit afraid of that grinding noise I heard. Also MB service was able to drive the car off the service lot
Old 09-10-2019, 09:45 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
Damn this thread is so old lol
Old 09-10-2019, 09:50 PM

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
2013 E550 4MATIC - P1, P2, SPORT
Originally Posted by VinceLL
The first time you experienced it happened, did you notice anything wrong with the car thereafter? The thing was, i purchased a 2019 c43 amg not to long ago and i am not aware of this feature. I was rolling and i opened my door because i was greeted by service. I did not open my windows because my car was newly tinted and is not cured yet. I heard this petrifying grinding noise and car went to park. I am afraid I damaged something
At this point you probably could've just created a new post as opposed to necroing an 8 year old post.

You probably didn't damage anything, per se. But it definitely wasn't good for the car. Live and learn. Don't open the door in motion. (Though I personally hate the "feature" and would love to disable it.)
Old 09-10-2019, 10:38 PM
Banned

2019 c43 AMG
Originally Posted by TeeEl
At this point you probably could've just created a new post as opposed to necroing an 8 year old post.

You probably didn't damage anything, per se. But it definitely wasn't good for the car. Live and learn. Don't open the door in motion. (Though I personally hate the "feature" and would love to disable it.)
People will just tell me to dig an old post lol. Once i get the car back im gonna see how it runs and will go from there. On the bright side it only has like 300 miles so im still in warranty. Thanks for the reply! If its designed as a safety system then maybe it isnt so bad. That grinding noise though...oof!
Old 09-11-2019, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by VinceLL
People will just tell me to dig an old post lol. Once i get the car back im gonna see how it runs and will go from there. On the bright side it only has like 300 miles so im still in warranty. Thanks for the reply! If its designed as a safety system then maybe it isnt so bad. That grinding noise though...oof!
Generally people here are more helpful than that... but given that you're new it's understandable that you'd expect the same type of responses as you'd get on normal forums.

If the dealer ever finds anything wrong with the transmission you can always feign ignorance and just pretend like it never happened.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,384 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
I am 1 of those in favor in continuing the thread that stays on the same topic.
This way we can combine wisdom over the years, instead of breaking open door every month.
Obviously there is thin lane somewhere and I think the android conversion topic, closing on 1500 replies cross it somewhere.
We are still safe on this one.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:45 AM

The problem us that people only come looking for this after they do it, so there's really nothing to gain.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,752 Likes on 1,122 Posts
2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by kajtek1
I am 1 of those in favor in continuing the thread that stays on the same topic.
This way we can combine wisdom over the years, instead of breaking open door every month.
I agree. For instance, the car recently in question is a 2019 W213, so it's nice to confirm that our W212s are still current with this open door = Parking Gear "feature."

For me, I've never been so thrilled to arrive at any destination that I opened the door before parking the car. I wasn't aware of this auto park function until the day I stopped to pick up some road debris. The item was in an active traffic lane (2-lane subdivision road) near the center line. I coasted up to it on the driver's side and opened the driver's door at 1-2 mph to reach down, grab it, and toss it off the road. Needless to say I was surprised the car went into park so suddenly. I won't be doing that again, LOL.