Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 09:55 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by RJC
Isn't there a tax consequence/lost benefit when one doesn't trade through a dealership? Sales tax?
Hmm, that is true, I'm sure it still doesn't equal the amount lost from getting screwed by a Dealer though.

There are other issues with selling cars Privately though, like the time and effort, and the potential dangers/risks, etc. (just be smart, don't have people come to your house to check out a car, go to a populated meeting area in broad daylight, etc.).
Old 05-14-2011, 11:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 W212 E350 4M
Illinois Tax

Illinois, sales tax is paid on the difference between the trade-in and the price of the new vehicle. In Chicago with city and Cook County Tax around 9%.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
600 SWB
I prefer to trade-in for the reasons mentioned by K-A. Plus there is the added convenience and timing that is associated with trade-ins. I have found that I can guilt the dealer into reducing the price of the new car to make up for the low "auction"-like value of the trade.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:28 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
That's a good tactic.

First set a *tentative* price for the new car, then start on the Trade In ("ehh, I don't know if I really want this car for that much, but for the hell of it, let's see what you'd give me on my Trade In, were we to go forth with the deal"). Once they low ball you, say that you don't like the deal, and maybe if they'll cut the price of the new car down some, to compensate for the lousy Trade In, you'll consider buying.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:09 AM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 186 Likes on 135 Posts
Originally Posted by golfster
I'm sorry to hear of your experience. It seems medical science remains inexact and I would not look forward to an epidural. I had should surgery due to overplay and a tear to the rotator cuff, and that was bad enough for me.

I've been to the TPC Sawgrass event a few times. A friend of mine does work for the PGA and lives at Sawgrass. If only I could play at half that caliber.
Thanks golfster. If I only knew just how serious the supposed rare complications a dura puncture from an epidural injection and getting depomedrol in the spinal fluid was I would have run away.

Sawgrass is one of my favorite courses which I've always wanted to play but I doubt I'll ever be able to play golf again. I've been playing since I was a small child and actually became quite good over the years. Nothing like being in the outdoors on a beautifully landscaped course and cracking the ball with my driver. Keep playing, watch that shoulder and crank one down the fairway for me.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by wireless200
Looks like they got financing from China after the first Chinese deal fell through. I'm going to go drive one with my wife. No hurry though. It looks like the cars will be on the lot the rest of the year.

I can't understand a dealer paying interest on those 2010s for what must have been over a year though. They would be better off dropping the price further and getting them off the lot.

The 9-5s sure get good reviews though. I'm thinking I could drive out of there in a nearly $50k 9-5 for the mid to upper 30s easy. That's a hard deal to pass up if the car is good.

May 13, 2011
ZEEWOLDE, Netherlands — Spyker Cars, the Dutch parent of Saab Automobile, said late Thursday that its agreement to sell a 30 percent stake in the struggling Swedish automaker to China's Hawtai Motor for $220 million, announced just 10 days ago, has collapsed. Saab's Trollhattan assembly plant remains idle, pending a new infusion of cash, and the company's long-term survival appears to be in serious jeopardy.

Dutch parent Spyker and would-be white knight Hawtai have terminated a week-old deal under which the small Chinese automaker would have acquired a 30-percent stake in Saab for about $220 million in equity and debt financing.

Beijing-based Hawtai said the agreement fell through because of "commercial and economic realities." Spyker said it was forced to terminate the deal when "it became clear that Hawtai was not able to obtain all the necessary consents."
Old 05-16-2011, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C350 Sport - Iridium Silver w/Ash
Originally Posted by 220S
May 13, 2011
[...]

Beijing-based Hawtai said the agreement fell through because of "commercial and economic realities." Spyker said it was forced to terminate the deal when "it became clear that Hawtai was not able to obtain all the necessary consents."
Yeah, another Chinese investor named Youngman came in now to buy out or finance. Either way, I've lost interest in the Saab 9-5. Went by the lot and, man, is that a sad, lonely place. GM completely destroyed that once quirky but proud marque. The 9-5 looks sort of ok to me, wife didn't like it, but the worst thing is it whiffs of GM. You know the platform and engine are GM, right? Somehow the lines or something make you feel GM through the rest of the car, and not in a good way. (The 9-3 totally appears to be a GM small car with a Saab badge.)

We're back to Merc now, nothing compares. Just can't decide between the E350 and the C350. The E has the prestige and is roomier but the C size fits my wife (who the car is for) better, and is a more fun car to drive than the E. It is not as bad as it used to be since the C has been steadily improved but I still feel that when you see a C you figure the owner would have bought an E if he had an extra $10k to spend.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by wireless200
Yeah, another Chinese investor named Youngman came in now to buy out or finance. Either way, I've lost interest in the Saab 9-5. Went by the lot and, man, is that a sad, lonely place. GM completely destroyed that once quirky but proud marque. The 9-5 looks sort of ok to me, wife didn't like it, but the worst thing is it whiffs of GM. You know the platform and engine are GM, right? Somehow the lines or something make you feel GM through the rest of the car, and not in a good way. (The 9-3 totally appears to be a GM small car with a Saab badge.)

We're back to Merc now, nothing compares. Just can't decide between the E350 and the C350. The E has the prestige and is roomier but the C size fits my wife (who the car is for) better, and is a more fun car to drive than the E. It is not as bad as it used to be since the C has been steadily improved but I still feel that when you see a C you figure the owner would have bought an E if he had an extra $10k to spend.
The China Youngman Automobile Group deal preceded the China Hawtai talks. Hawtai came in after Youngman pulled out, but then pulled out themselves on Friday (May 13.)

Anyway this just in two hours ago:

Saab Finds New Savior in Pang Da JV

WardsAuto.com, May 16, 2011 1:09 PM

Spyker Cars, the parent of Saab Automobile, inks a preliminary agreement with Chinese dealer group Pang Da Automobile to form a joint venture securing E110 million ($155.2 million) in medium-term funding for the struggling Swedish auto maker.

Last week, an E150 million ($211.7 million) investment and loan agreement with China’s Hawtai Motor Group broke apart and Spyker decided to pursue opportunities with other Chinese sources.

Landing the new equity partner comes ahead of Spyker’s annual shareholder’s meeting, where the company will submit plans to change its name to Swedish Automobile.

The name change comes in response to Netherlands-based Spyker selling of its Spyker-brand exotic sports car business earlier this year to focus on rejuvenating Saab and requires shareholder approval.

According to terms of the agreement with Pang Da, the dealer will take 24% of Spyker in return for some E65 million ($91.7 million).

Spyker additionally would receive E30 million from Pang Da ($42.3 million) as payment for the purchase of Saab vehicles and another E15 million ($21.2 million) within 30 days of purchase for additional vehicles, given the deal passes regulatory scrutiny.