Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 Coupe
Originally Posted by hyperion667
LOL, it is hard to keep them clean for more than a few days,
it's frustrating sometimes, LOL........
especially, as most know, with black....

it's most frustrating when you JUST get done and are out and about and run into, whatever it may be, hehe.....

but hey, I'll keep trying....
I can totally see how one could actually make a living with a mobile car detailing business, or even a stationary one, hehe.........

it's very intense.....
hyperion667 as the owner of two black cars. An Infiniti G35 coupe and a 2010 E coupe. I've got plenty of experience with black cars. Quick Detailer and microfiber towels are your friend. If your car is just dusty. Wiping it down with QD every couple days will keep it shiny. Just make sure to use enough QD to wet the paint. Use one microfiber to wipe off the dust and one to polish. When the wiping cloth starts to look dirty switch sides and cloths often. If you use wax...use a carnuba based OQ if you use sealant use a QD for sealants. My favs are Pinnacle for carnuba and Wolfgangs for sealant.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2013 C63 AMG P31, 2014 GMC Sierra (6.2)
Originally Posted by steelgrey
hyperion667 as the owner of two black cars. An Infiniti G35 coupe and a 2010 E coupe. I've got plenty of experience with black cars. Quick Detailer and microfiber towels are your friend. If your car is just dusty. Wiping it down with QD every couple days will keep it shiny. Just make sure to use enough QD to wet the paint. Use one microfiber to wipe off the dust and one to polish. When the wiping cloth starts to look dirty switch sides and cloths often. If you use wax...use a carnuba based OQ if you use sealant use a QD for sealants. My favs are Pinnacle for carnuba and Wolfgangs for sealant.

I've always been hesitant to apply Quick Detailer (or anything else for that matter) on a dusty car. To me you're just asking for fine scratches no matter what people say. The only time I would use it is right after I wash a car...

Btw - I can't knock Nu Finish as I've used it on many vehicles. I do clay before applying anything however..

Last edited by wawy; 06-10-2011 at 10:32 PM.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:41 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
W211 E320 & W212 E550
I don't use the sprays for dust, that's what a California duster is for. Sprays for the smudges, water drip, sap spot, bird poo etc.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:33 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
California Duster is great. However, I find that if you don't literally do it the day following your last wash (i.e, it's gotta be done day to day), then enough dirt/dust builds up to make it a counteractive step. I think that it should be used to get off very light layers of dust.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:33 PM

E350 Coupe
I find that the California Duster does two things. First it will load up with dirt if used frequently and second it tends to streak. Quick Detailer is designed to suspend and provide lubrication between dust and your paint. I find that using it liberally is best. Use the same microfiber to wipe it of...it will become damp. Turn it frequently and when it starts to appear dirty change cloths. Use a seperate microfiber to do a final dry/polish. If the drying/polishing microfiber starts to look dirty then you are not using enough QD. I am not talking about using this method on a car after two weeks of built up grime. You should never wipe down your car with a dry microfiber. Washing and drying your car no matter how careful you are will cause light scratching. Unless you're completely **** using the two bucket method both buckets with grit guards and drying your car with a leaf blower. Yes there are people that use this method. The real key is having the correct products and equipment to deal with everyday paint damage (bird droppings, water marks, squashed bugs, micromarring). My favorite QD's are Pinnacle for use on Carnuba waxes and Wolfgangs for use on sealants. I prefer sealants and use the complete line of Menzerna products.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:51 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

The Quik Detailer produce is NOT an abrasive, correct? (like soap)? I.e, would it slowly break down the protective coat (Wax/Sealant) little by little if used a lot? I have the stuff myself, but I can't quite get a grasp of what it is exactly. Is it a protectant? A very mild abrasive? Etc.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:20 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 186 Likes on 135 Posts
Quick details and wax as you dry type products are quick finish enhancers that help add oils back to the paint in between waxings, they are not abrasive. They should be used directly after washing the car as to be certain there is no fine dirt/dust to scratch the paint. I'm not a big fan of the car duster products as these were originally used to dust off indoor car collections that are not exposed to outdoor contaminants and after time they can scratch the paint. I always use a wax as you dry product after each wash to keep my paint extra protected by freshing the wax in between regularly scheduled full details, it also leaves the finish buttery smooth like after a fresh detail.

Last edited by RJC; 06-11-2011 at 10:25 PM.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:23 PM

E350 Coupe
No, QD has no abrasive qualities. It is used to enhance shine and to remove light dust between washings. K-A I believe you use a sealant so you would need a QD for sealants. Mequiars NXT QD would work fine. QD does not remove your base sealant it will enhance and bring out the shine. Do not use in the sun or if the car is hot. Use plenty of clean Microfiber towels and wipe and buff gently let the product do the work. I also use it after using Menzerna Power Lock Polymer Sealant because it produces alot of static electricity.

Last edited by steelgrey; 06-11-2011 at 11:09 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:25 PM

'11 E550 4MATIC, '07 Suzuki SV1000S
Here's what I use

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

I also have the Griot's Garage polishing system with buffer, but haven't had the time or need to use it yet.

The Zaino stuff is some of the nicest product I've ever used on a car before.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:50 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by steelgrey
K-A I believe you use a sealant so you would need a QD for sealants.
Thanks again for the info. Just to I'm clear, can you elaborate on that (not sure what you mean)? Thanks.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
Originally Posted by Johnny Mo
http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

I also have the Griot's Garage polishing system with buffer, but haven't had the time or need to use it yet.

The Zaino stuff is some of the nicest product I've ever used on a car before.
I have the Griot's DA machine. I found their polishes (3 and 4) to have almost no effect on the ultra-hard clearcoat MB uses. I use the Griot's machine with the Mezerna Polishes and get fantastic results. Try Menzerna Super Intensive Polish for normal swirl removal followed by Menzerna 106FA as the final polish. Or, if swirls are extremely light, just use the 106FA. On my black (040) it really has that "wet look" and appears to be 3 inches deep. My MB service tech commented on the gloss.