E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

door lock problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 03:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
11' E350, 12' E550
door lock problem

I have my car set to auto lock when I reach some speed. But when I stop my car, the persons on my back seats are locked in and they don't have the unlock button on the back doors so they have to pull the unlock pins on the back door to unlock the door. Is there a setting that when they pull the unlock paddle and the door will be unlocked and second time will unlock the door like other cars do?
Old 06-17-2011, 01:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 GL450
I've never tried or had anyone try to unlock the doors from the back seat. But one thing you might check is the child safety mechanism that prevents kids from opening the door from the back seat. If you open your back doors and look near the latch, you will see a switch with a kid surrounded by a lock. If the switch is set to the closed lock picture, that might be your problem. If it is set to the open lock picture, then I've wasted your time!
Old 06-17-2011, 01:29 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,352 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
the child lock actually does sound like the problem........
Old 06-18-2011, 05:30 PM

11' E350, 12' E550
It is not the child lock feature, I have it on unlock all the time, but still can't unlock from inside from the unlock paddle by flipping it twice.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:42 AM

11' E350, 12' E550
I finally found the problem, which is when I stop the car, if I don't open the driver's door, the two rear doors are locked. Which makes non-sense, what if I just need to drop off some people siting in the back seats, and I have to unlock the door for them, why they can't like BMW, people just need to flip the door paddle twice, first time unlock the door, second time open the door.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:43 AM

2015 GL450
Originally Posted by sharpxia
I finally found the problem, which is when I stop the car, if I don't open the driver's door, the two rear doors are locked. Which makes non-sense, what if I just need to drop off some people siting in the back seats, and I have to unlock the door for them, why they can't like BMW, people just need to flip the door paddle twice, first time unlock the door, second time open the door.
While I agree BMW's method would be better than what you describe, just pushing the unlock button would seem to be easier than opening the driver's side door. That's the way I do it if I want someone to get IN the backseat -- never had anyone get out independently of me.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 837 Likes on 606 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by sharpxia

And how about during an accident. If the driver is out unconcious after a collision and the car catches a fire. Would be nice for back seat travelers to get out without having to somehow try open the driver's door. And so often you cannot get the door open after collision anyways so how do we get rear doors open?

I have not tested this in my car but if the rear doors don't unlock without action from the driver or front passenger (unless child lock is activated) then there might be a serious safety issue going on with these cars.

I understand that the doors cannot be opened from outside when locked to prevent someone "jacking" the car but for heaven's sake why not allow opening from inside at any time (other than with child lock) blows my mind.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:26 PM

2015 GL450
Originally Posted by Arrie
I have not tested this in my car but if the rear doors don't unlock without action from the driver or front passenger (unless child lock is activated) then there might be a serious safety issue going on with these cars.

I understand that the doors cannot be opened from outside when locked to prevent someone "jacking" the car but for heaven's sake why not allow opening from inside at any time (other than with child lock) blows my mind.
I just did a little searching, thinking that the doors would automatically unlock after a crash. It turns out that promotions for the 2010 GL and R classes touted a feature called "Post-Safe" that unlocks the doors and turns off fuel and engine after a crash. I could not find where the E class was similarly endowed. One might infer that the E-class doors do not open after a crash, or that they do but the fuel system and engine are not shut down, or that the marketing dept at MB forgot to tout this feature on our E-class. I am suspecting #2 since, I have read, people's experiences in wrecks with earlier MB models, including C-classes, do automatically unlock after a crash.

Then again, I seem to recall that some carjackers exploited this feature by ramming a car to unlock it and then someone near the car would open the doors. Maybe they changed it.

But I agree. Why shouldn't someone in the backseat be able to open the door unless the child lock is activated?

BTW, I read through the manual: It mentions that the front doors can be unlocked by pulling on the handle, but does not mention the rear doors in this context.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 837 Likes on 606 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by ttoE550
I just did a little searching, thinking that the doors would automatically unlock after a crash. It turns out that promotions for the 2010 GL and R classes touted a feature called "Post-Safe" that unlocks the doors and turns off fuel and engine after a crash. I could not find where the E class was similarly endowed. One might infer that the E-class doors do not open after a crash, or that they do but the fuel system and engine are not shut down, or that the marketing dept at MB forgot to tout this feature on our E-class. I am suspecting #2 since, I have read, people's experiences in wrecks with earlier MB models, including C-classes, do automatically unlock after a crash.

Then again, I seem to recall that some carjackers exploited this feature by ramming a car to unlock it and then someone near the car would open the doors. Maybe they changed it.

But I agree. Why shouldn't someone in the backseat be able to open the door unless the child lock is activated?

BTW, I read through the manual: It mentions that the front doors can be unlocked by pulling on the handle, but does not mention the rear doors in this context.

Rear doors do not unlock from the handle. You either need to pull the lock pin up by hand, the front door unlock button must be pressed or the driver's doom must be opened. Driver's door opening unlocks all doors if the doors were locked by the automatic locking from above 9 mph speed and this works only if the smart key is in original configuration, i.e. if you have changed your smart key to unlock only the driver's door the unlocking of other doors is disabled when opening the door.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E220 CDI/w210 (2001)
Hello folks I have a 2012 E250 CDI, i have peculiar problem I am facing a door auto lock function deactivating itself and at times the steering movement up whilst exiting the car mysteriously deactivate!! At first I figured perhaps someone else in my family who drives the car as well may have accidentally pressed buttons on the command but seeing the steps I can't see how, and now that it keeps happening I am wondering whats up...any ideas?

Last edited by carbuff; 07-13-2016 at 10:25 AM.