E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

A cool dealership

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2016 | 12:10 PM

2014 Mercedes E550
A cool dealership

I recently bought a 2014 E550 and will be taking it to the dealer for service until my warranty run out. (Shout out to Jeff Jackson also for a great deal on extended warranty.)

I am also considering a tune and was wondering if anyone have any experience with the service department in the tri state area that didn't give you much issue with a tune.

Also any dealerships that is more accommodating and recommended because of the level of service and price?

I usually take my car to indy or do some work myself. Younger, had time and didn't see a reason to pay the dealer fee but now just too busy. So not much experience going to dealer for service and appreciate any advice on which to avoid or go to.
Old 07-06-2016 | 12:38 PM
Banned

Speedriven
There is a myth circulating that dealers can detect a tune. At worst (best?), they can connect to your car and see that it doesn't have the most current firmware version and they'll reflash it. They can suspect whatever they want, but they don't know (unless you put a Renntech or Speedriven or Kleemann sticker on it, but that's on you- LOL!).

The only other way to know is to dyno the car (they won't), or take it past the 155 MPH speed limiter (they can't, legally). You'll be fine.
Old 07-08-2016 | 10:45 AM

2011 E550
I'm 99.9 percent sure dealers don't have the capability to check if a car has a tune or not, but regardless its Best to flash back to stock if going in to dealer for warranty work. However, if you blow a engine or Tranny, or anything high value related to the powertrian, you can bet your bottom dollar they will check for a tune. (They meaning mbusa will send out a field tech that will look for signs of tampering with the ecu, and will go through the ecu code to see if a tune was present.) That's how I think it works anyway.
Old 07-09-2016 | 02:02 PM

2013 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by Speedriven1
There is a myth circulating that dealers can detect a tune. At worst (best?), they can connect to your car and see that it doesn't have the most current firmware version and they'll reflash it. They can suspect whatever they want, but they don't know (unless you put a Renntech or Speedriven or Kleemann sticker on it, but that's on you- LOL!).

The only other way to know is to dyno the car (they won't), or take it past the 155 MPH speed limiter (they can't, legally). You'll be fine.
I will not agree with you there, when I owned a Volvo S60r, I had a tune on it just like hundreds of others.

Volvo was able to detect different engine management maps right away and would blacklist cars with tunes even if you brought it in for something else. People would re upload stock files to their ECU but Volvo would still suspect them of having a tune because the ECU would store a date for recent changes in the software, but they could not prove what it was.

I dont see why Mercedes would not see different fuel map, if a car came in for service.
Old 07-11-2016 | 11:10 PM

2016 S212 E400 RENNTech 345 whp/360 wtq
Thats why I'm shopping for a piggy-back module, which doesn't alter the stock programming but rather re-processes the signals from the ECU and sends a performance altered signal on to the components The module can be physically removed before service without leaving any electronic fingerprints.
Old 07-11-2016 | 11:35 PM
Out Of Control!!

2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
If you can afford expensive repair bills for anything that is not covered by Benz because of your tune, then tune away

Benz shouldn't have to pay for your blown engine/drivetrain if you tune your car ... You should pay for it yourself

Jeff Jackson is a true professional

There are some Benz dealers that do sell and install renntech tunes and you can hunt them down and they claim they will warrant any issues but this is not Benz that is providing that warranty - it's that individual dealership

Last edited by PeterUbers; 07-11-2016 at 11:37 PM.
Old 07-12-2016 | 11:39 AM

2014 Mercedes E550
I got cpo warranty until 2020, don't want to risk that so I will keep it as close to stock as possible until then. Car is plenty fast enough. Funny how before I would do all kind of things to my car, oh how the years has mellow me
Old 07-12-2016 | 12:32 PM

2017 Mercedes-Benz AMG C63 Cabriolet, 2014 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S
Originally Posted by LINKBXQ
I got cpo warranty until 2020, don't want to risk that so I will keep it as close to stock as possible until then. Car is plenty fast enough. Funny how before I would do all kind of things to my car, oh how the years has mellow me
Same here. I would add that while these cars are fast in a straight line the suspension isn't really up to the task of providing what I would call excellent feedback and confidence. While the car is sporty and fast, it isn't a sports car by any stretch.

I would want better suspension and brakes before trying to make this already fast car any faster.
Old 07-13-2016 | 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E550 P2 w/AMG Sport Package + Pano, 2015 Nissan Pathfinder
I have no experience with the tune portion of your question. I will say that even a great dealership is only part of your experience. If your SA is lazy and not responsive you will most likely hate your experience. If you get handed an SA who cares about you + your specific needs and is prompt your experience will reflect that attention.

Lucky for you, that you're under warranty and can practically take it to the dealer whenever you want. So you'll be able to learn which advisors are best at no expense so to speak. Then just request the SA you like to deal with most going forward.

I go to Prestige Motors in Paramus NJ. Look them up if it helps any and good luck.
Old 07-13-2016 | 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E550 P2 w/AMG Sport Package + Pano, 2015 Nissan Pathfinder
Originally Posted by SDRider
Same here. I would add that while these cars are fast in a straight line the suspension isn't really up to the task of providing what I would call excellent feedback and confidence. While the car is sporty and fast, it isn't a sports car by any stretch.

I would want better suspension and brakes before trying to make this already fast car any faster.
Do you have a airmatic? if not what kind of suspension setup do you have is it sport or lux/Comfort?