E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Navigation and Address Book

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 11:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2024 GLE350
Navigation and Address Book

Can someone please tell me if he/she could download a complete address from cell phone and use the address without any modification for navigation? Thanks in advance
Old 07-06-2011, 11:59 AM

2024 GLE350
I thought at least someone shuld have this done. Can some one please try it? have a case open with MB Canada on this and need your help. Thanks
Old 07-06-2011, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
If I understand it correctly, there are two address books, one for the phone and one for COMAND. If you download an address from a phone, it goes into the Phone address book and is copied to the COMAND address book where it should be usable by the Navigation system.

I have an older phone so I can't download addresses but if you have something like an iPhone, it should work.

Are you able to download addresses from your phone?
Old 07-06-2011, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
You'll have to set it up and save it as a POI first. The Nav can only read from POIs and the map's database. If it's in the system as a POI with a phone number attached, then you can pull it up and set it as designation via the phone number (or zip code, etc..) The Nav can't pull directly from the telephone address book and can only recognize addresses that are actually in the map database (ie NAVTEQ's installed database.)

fwiw, even if you have an older phone that won't transfer its address book or doesn't have addresses, you can add and change/delete info manually in the COMAND. Just add info (addresses, etc..) manually.

EDIT: if you're meaning that you want to transfer POIs to the nav system via your smart phone, then that's a different issue. Yes you can, there is an iPhone app that both MBrace and TeleAid offer so that you can add POIs to the Nav system from your phone. You have to have the app and a MBrace or TeleAid subscription, of course.

Last edited by 220S; 07-06-2011 at 02:05 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:20 PM

2024 GLE350
Thanks for the postings. I have a Blackberry Torch and downloaded the BB address book into the Command address book, no issues here.
Based on the manual, you should be able to use addresses in your phone address book for navigation if the address is complete. I have all the addresses complete, so no issue here.
When I try to use a complete address from address book for navigation, it says address is not complete. This is the problem. Did you try this?
For your information, if I use the same address in my BB and click on "show me the map", it will show it on BB map. This implies that my addresses are complete and correct. The probem is with Command and Navigation.
What I need from you is to do the following please:
1.Make one or two addresses complete with no, street, city, prov/state, postal code/zip and Canada/USA.
2. If you have a smart phone, try it to see if these addresses are good enough to be found on phone map. (if your smart phone doesn't have this facility,please skip this step).
3. download these addresses into your car's address book.
4. Find the address using the address book (not the phone book), schrol to see the address and then press ok.
5. If everything goes ok, navigation should recognize the address and ask you push the start. If you hve the sams problem as I have,then you will see a yellow screen saying address is not complete, there are missing information".

Please let me know what did you get. Thanks for the help.Anybody can do this.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mjahani
Thanks for the postings. I have a Blackberry Torch and downloaded the BB address book into the Command address book, no issues here.
Based on the manual, you should be able to use addresses in your phone address book for navigation if the address is complete. I have all the addresses complete, so no issue here.
When I try to use a complete address from address book for navigation, it says address is not complete. This is the problem. Did you try this?
For your information, if I use the same address in my BB and click on "show me the map", it will show it on BB map. This implies that my addresses are complete and correct. The probem is with Command and Navigation.
What I need from you is to do the following please:
1.Make one or two addresses complete with no, street, city, prov/state, postal code/zip and Canada/USA.
2. If you have a smart phone, try it to see if these addresses are good enough to be found on phone map. (if your smart phone doesn't have this facility,please skip this step).
3. download these addresses into your car's address book.
4. Find the address using the address book (not the phone book), schrol to see the address and then press ok.
5. If everything goes ok, navigation should recognize the address and ask you push the start. If you hve the sams problem as I have,then you will see a yellow screen saying address is not complete, there are missing information".

Please let me know what did you get. Thanks for the help.Anybody can do this.
I'm only confused with number 4. When you say find the address using the address book and not the phone book, are you meaning the POI list? The phone book has name, number(s) and addresses. The POIs have the address.

Anyway, I can't get the Nav to read off the phone book, only the POI addresses. But I'll give it a go.....
Old 07-06-2011, 02:46 PM

2024 GLE350
Sorry for confusion, I don't use POI. You can choose between Phone and address book. When you chosse phone, it gives you the search option to find a name and a number, but when you choose address book, it gives you a list of all of your contacts, name, phones, and addresses. This is what I'm using and have problem with it. Thanks
Old 07-06-2011, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sorry for confusion, I don't use POI. You can choose between Phone and address book. When you chosse phone, it gives you the search option to find a name and a number, but when you choose address book, it gives you a list of all of your contacts, name, phones, and addresses. This is what I'm using and have problem with it. Thanks
Okay. The reason it wasn't 100% clear to me is because the address book is a sub menu of the phone book. That's why I didn't differentiate between an address book and a phone book since to me it's the same menu.

I did what you described. I tried a complete address that my smart phone was able to find on the map. Then I checked the phone book and made sure the address was correct. But I still can't navigate unless I download it as a POI to the Nav. That's why I assumed the Nav can only use POIs.

But unlike you, I simply get the navigate option grayed out as though it's not an option to navigate from the address/phone book. There is no "missing information" message. It's very possible it's a formatting issue. I even went in and manually put in the address making sure it had all the correct info. But it reads it fine as a POI.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:07 PM

2024 GLE350
Thanks, do you have a 2010 or 2011? mine is 2010. Actually, if I make updates manualy to my address book, then it works ok. As mentioned, I have a case open with MB, here in Toronto as in my mind there is something wrong here. I'll Keep you posted. Thanks again for your time and attention.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks, do you have a 2010 or 2011? mine is 2010. Actually, if I make updates manualy to my address book, then it works ok. As mentioned, I have a case open with MB, here in Toronto as in my mind there is something wrong here. I'll Keep you posted. Thanks again for your time and attention.
Just for the record, I have a late model 2009 E63. But the COMAND is the same system (they changed to the hard drive version in 2009.) I just now tried it again by manually entering in data in the phone/address book and it did work. There seems to be something about formatting directly off the downloaded phone address. What is odd is that the download as a POI (with the same address formatting that is on the phone) works fine.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:20 PM

2024 GLE350
Hi 220S, one question for you: how did you manage to put your contact addresses in POI? I couldn't find any way to do it. Thanks
Old 07-06-2011, 06:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hi 220S, one question for you: how did you manage to put your contact addresses in POI? I couldn't find any way to do it. Thanks
Through the Mbrace/Teleaid iPhone app (providing you use the MBrace or TeleAid service.)
Old 07-06-2011, 08:25 PM

2024 GLE350
No, I don't use Mbrace or Teleaid. Thanks
Old 07-09-2011, 08:25 PM

2024 GLE350
Owners of E350 2011 and 2012

Hi owners of E350 2011 and 2012: I got a call from MB Canada, that the issue that I have exists in both 2011 and 2012. In other words, this is not an issue in their view. seems strange to you? Can some one please test this? Are you an owner of 2011 or 2012? if yes, can you please spend a few minutes, download a complete address of a contact from your phone into MB address book and try to use it for navigation and post the results here? Thanks
Old 07-11-2011, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E350 Sport 4matic
Hi owners of E350 2011 and 2012: I got a call from MB Canada, that the issue that I have exists in both 2011 and 2012. In other words, this is not an issue in their view. seems strange to you? Can some one please test this? Are you an owner of 2011 or 2012? if yes, can you please spend a few minutes, download a complete address of a contact from your phone into MB address book and try to use it for navigation and post the results here? Thanks
FOUND OUT HOW TO FIX THE ADDRESS BOOK TO ENABLE NAVIGATION!

Remove all the Zip Codes! Without Zip Codes it works fine. Apparently, the Zip Codes are being stored in the wrong field in the address book. I have a 2011 E350.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:35 PM

2024 GLE350
Thanks a lot, I'll try it very soon. The funny thing is that MB Canada was telling me that postal code (Canadian ZIP) MUST be there. Thanks again.

P.S. Just tried it for a Canadian and for a US address and it didn't work. Are you sure that it worked for you? Is there a possibility to take a screenshot of an address that worked for you and post it here? Thanks

Last edited by mjahani; 07-11-2011 at 02:57 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:06 PM

2011 E350 Sport 4matic
Thanks a lot, I'll try it very soon. The funny thing is that MB Canada was telling me that postal code (Canadian ZIP) MUST be there. Thanks again.

P.S. Just tried it for a Canadian and for a US address and it didn't work. Are you sure that it worked for you? Is there a possibility to take a screenshot of an address that worked for you and post it here? Thanks
Found one more change required: Need to spell out state names. (That was actually not necessary if you were trying to navigate within the same state as you last navigated to.) Have tested this out going to other states. Works fine now (i.e., no Zip codes and spelled out states)

PS: I am building all contacts within Windows Live Contacts and then exporting them in Business Card (.VCF) format to an SD card that goes into my SanDisk 6-in-1 PC Card Adapter. I then insert the adapter/memory card into the Comand memory slot and transfer all the contacts at once to my address book (overwriting the old address book info).

Last edited by ColoradoDriver; 07-11-2011 at 03:36 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:30 PM

2011 E350 Sport 4matic
Found that there is still an issue when trying to navigate to a state with a two-word name (e.g., New York). All single word states seem to work fine. I will play around to see if I can guess how the software engineers expected to see the two-word states. Later....

UPDATE: Have not been able to find a work-around for the two-word states. Still trying.

Last edited by ColoradoDriver; 07-11-2011 at 04:23 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:53 PM

2011 E350 Sport 4matic
Good news: It turns out that the two-name states were not the issue. Rather the couple examples I had in my address book did not match the digital database Mercedes uses. Other two-state addresses were fine (as long as states were spelled out and without Zip Codes).

So 90% of my address book entries can be navigated to. The other 10% need to be changed to match the digital database. Another cool feature is that you can navigate to an address entry while the car is moving.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:25 PM

E350 4Matic
I have a 2010, with updated SW for the NAV etc(mine will stream Bluetooth, etc), I many addresses and they cannot be navigated to, I edit them on the car, remove the zip, and spell out the state and save and they then work. I went back into my email and made the same modifications, synced them back to the car and no dice.

Did anyone figure this out?