E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Am I going crazy?! (Music Register)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 E300 4M
Am I going crazy?! (Music Register)

Am I going ? I swear my music register capacity was 6 GB, after the Command update last Thursday it shows 10 GB now.
I’m assuming physical HD’s the same but more disk space has been allocated to MR, Right?

Last edited by LOVE MB; 06-23-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 575 Likes on 430 Posts
W212 FL
In some models ,I see 30 GB .

I think mine should be 6 GB too , mine is NTG 4.5 same as well .This is really wicked , 4GB not to be sneezed at all
Old 06-23-2012, 08:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
I,too,was under the impression that the register was 6MB when I bought my Bluetec but,to my delight,found that it's 10MB.Perhaps on our vehicles they substituted a different HD,possibly due to a temporary shortage of the originals...just one of several possibilities I can think of,including your suggestion.I've got 9.9GB of songs on mine now...took me months to load them.With my BMW the same process took 5 minutes (I had already converted my CDs to MP3's).
Old 06-23-2012, 08:13 PM

2017 E300 4M
Originally Posted by listerone
I,too,was under the impression that the register was 6MB when I bought my Bluetec but,to my delight,found that it's 10MB.Perhaps on our vehicles they substituted a different HD,possibly due to a temporary shortage of the originals...just one of several possibilities I can think of,including your suggestion.I've got 9.9GB of songs on mine now...took me months to load them.With my BMW the same process took 5 minutes (I had already converted my CDs to MP3's).
I know for sure that I had 6GB on Wednesday last week as I did run out of space while loading yet another disk. I had my service done the very next day. This morning I decided to delete some folders to make more space for the new music and was very surprised by seeing extra 4GB avialable. Not complaining at all, just happy I can have more music while cruisin
Old 06-23-2012, 08:17 PM

2011 E550 4Matic
Its not unusual for large software updates to free up massive amounts of space. Newer software can be much more efficient and sheds tons of extra files it no longer needs, one of the recent MacOS updates i think opened up like 7gb on some systems. I think the same probably happened here.....now if only my dang dealer would do the update for me
Old 06-23-2012, 08:23 PM

2017 E300 4M
Originally Posted by xolinlevh
Its not unusual for large software updates to free up massive amounts of space. Newer software can be much more efficient and sheds tons of extra files it no longer needs, one of the recent MacOS updates i think opened up like 7gb on some systems. I think the same probably happened here.....now if only my dang dealer would do the update for me
I made my dealer to update mine by complaining about BT reception quality.
Read my post here: https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...-upgraded.html
Old 06-23-2012, 08:24 PM

2012 E 350
My CD's are also on MP3 [Sansa} Did you try connecting the MP3?? I have
not had any luck trying to use the mini 1/8 plug. The current Command is
supposed to support this.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:05 PM

2017 E300 4M
Originally Posted by boater07

Works fine in my car.
Go to AUDIO and if your AUX input is grayed out disconnect you iPod that will do it, you can only use one device at a time.
If your AUX is available and MP3 player’s running and no sound ask your SA to check it next time you’re in service. Check your media connector for any damage as well.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 E350, 2012 SL550
You did a heck of a job if you got 9.9GB on a 10 MB drive.

Regards,
Don
Old 06-23-2012, 10:14 PM

2011 E550 4Matic
Originally Posted by LOVE MB
I made my dealer to update mine by complaining about BT reception quality.
Read my post here: https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...-upgraded.html
i was already posting in there earlier ^_^ i tried asking my dealer to upgrade mine because of BT quality, but got told they dont do upgrades and that a fix would be to "take the battery out of my phone for 60 sec and reconnect"
Old 06-23-2012, 10:22 PM

2012 E 350
Works fine in my car.
Go to AUDIO and if your AUX input is grayed out disconnect you iPod that will do it, you can only use one device at a time.
If your AUX is available and MP3 player’s running and no sound ask your SA to check it next time you’re in service. Check your media connector for any damage as well.
There is a difference between I pod and MP3. Ipod connector in compartment does not fit MP3 player.
Don't understand your comment
Old 06-23-2012, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 BMW 540d
I should have been more specific.When I said I converted my CDs to MP3's I meant that I created duplicates in MP3 format.The songs I loaded onto my Blutetec's HD were done with commercial CDs and CD-R's made using the WAV format.My understanding (right or wrong) is that you can't load MP3's directly onto the MB hard drive.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 E550
Am I going ? I swear my music register capacity was 6 GB, after the Command update last Thursday it shows 10 GB now.
I’m assuming physical HD’s the same but more disk space has been allocated to MR, Right?
The actual drive size is 80GB (at least in my car), and it's partitioned into (at least) 4 logical drives. See photos. Information on it can be found here. It's a special purpose drive to handle a higher temperature range and shock/vibration environment compared with PC type HDs.
Perhaps the COMAND SW update reallocated some of the logical partition space?
Attached Thumbnails Am I going crazy?! (Music Register)-img-20120623-00057.jpg   Am I going crazy?! (Music Register)-img-20120623-00058.jpg  
Old 06-23-2012, 11:20 PM

2014 E350, 2012 SL550
My understanding (right or wrong) is that you can't load MP3's directly onto the MB hard drive.
That's true, at least in the USA. I believe early COMAND versions let you do so, and the ROW can still do so, but not us. No doubt some concession to the RIAA.

My owner's manual (2011) still says you can do it, but you can't.

Regards,
Don
Old 06-24-2012, 12:42 AM

2012 E 350
I should have been more specific.When I said I converted my CDs to MP3's I meant that I created duplicates in MP3 format.The songs I loaded onto my Blutetec's HD were done with commercial CDs and CD-R's made using the WAV format.My understanding (right or wrong) is that you can't load MP3's directly onto the MB hard drive.
I'm no electronic whiz and am lost. I was under the impression that I could play MP3 thru the system. Wouldn't need to load unto hard drive but would save a lot of time downloading CD's
Old 06-24-2012, 01:44 AM

2017 E300 4M
There is a difference between I pod and MP3. Ipod connector in compartment does not fit MP3 player.
Don't understand your comment

The Media Interface that came on MY10 fits both. It has an iPod connector
and auniversal AUX input connector for MP3 players (see attached photo)
A non iPod USB cable
is also available which will connect select USB sticks or media players with a USB port.

Attached Thumbnails Am I going crazy?! (Music Register)-sl-person-15.jpg  
Old 06-24-2012, 07:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 BMW 540d
I'm no electronic whiz and am lost. I was under the impression that I could play MP3 thru the system. Wouldn't need to load unto hard drive but would save a lot of time downloading CD's
I'm certainly no electronics whiz myself (the youngsters of my family laugh at my ignorance).However,I think you might be correct to believe that MP3 CDs can be played with the CD/DVD player but I'm not 100% certain.Perhaps the manual would address that issue or someone here can chime in.Although I know that many people like being able to put 100+ songs on a CD in MP3 format I store my MP3's on my home computer's HD only for use in an MP3 player and,as mentioned above,for my BMW's hard drive.Anytime I play a compact disc,either commercially made or home made,the songs are in the "wav" file format which is the gold standard for sound fidelity today.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:13 AM

2014 E350, 2012 SL550
I'm certainly no electronics whiz myself (the youngsters of my family laugh at my ignorance).However,I think you might be correct to believe that MP3 CDs can be played with the CD/DVD player but I'm not 100% certain.Perhaps the manual would address that issue or someone here can chime in.Although I know that many people like being able to put 100+ songs on a CD in MP3 format I store my MP3's on my home computer's HD only for use in an MP3 player and,as mentioned above,for my BMW's hard drive.Anytime I play a compact disc,either commercially made or home made,the songs are in the "wav" file format which is the gold standard for sound fidelity today.
Yes, MP3 CD's play fine. I use them all the time. You can fit ~120-160 songs per disk at high bitrate.

Regards,
Don
Old 06-24-2012, 11:54 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2012 E350 Coupe
The Music Register capacity was upgraded to 10gb for 2012, in E Class coupes and sedans. Probably at least that in all other 2012 models too, but don't know.

Sounds like they were able to retro-upgrade older HDD's too through a software update. Glad to hear that, for those of you who use the MR.

Being a near-total computer dimwit here, I like tjkaz's explanation of how they did that the best, so I'm going with it!
Old 06-24-2012, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 835 Likes on 604 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by xolinlevh
i was already posting in there earlier ^_^ i tried asking my dealer to upgrade mine because of BT quality, but got told they dont do upgrades and that a fix would be to "take the battery out of my phone for 60 sec and reconnect"

Show them the malfunction in the navigation. When you select a POI as your address you should be able to click a Map tab bottom left to see the POI location on the map before you select it as your destination. Original software did not work for this in two of my cars, after update did in both of them. Same update fixes bluetooth issues too.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:47 PM

2012 E 350
[QUOTE=dfordham;5253856]Yes, MP3 CD's play fine. I use them all the time. You can fit ~120-160 songs per disk at high bitrate.

Now I'm really going to show my ignorance. I am talking about using my MP3[ Sansa] player where I have hundreds of CD's stored. Am I supposed to transfer those unto a CD.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:56 PM

2014 E350, 2012 SL550
Originally Posted by dfordham
Yes, MP3 CD's play fine. I use them all the time. You can fit ~120-160 songs per disk at high bitrate.

Now I'm really going to show my ignorance. I am talking about using my MP3[ Sansa] player where I have hundreds of CD's stored. Am I supposed to transfer those unto a CD.
No, you don't have to transfer them.

You might want to, though. If you are playing your MP3's through the AUX port of your car, you may be getting somewhat lower quality and you cannot see the metadata (Track Name, Album Name, Elapsed Time) on the COMAND display.

What I use MP3 CD's for is to record streams from PANDORA. I create a station in PANDORA, let it run for 10-12 hours while recording the stream. Then I transfer the recordings to CD and use them in the car while on trips, rather than using bluetooth streaming of PANDORA in the car. Out here in the desert, cell coverage can be sketchy, so this works great!

Regards,
Don
Old 06-24-2012, 08:19 PM

2011 E550 4Matic
Originally Posted by Arrie
Show them the malfunction in the navigation. When you select a POI as your address you should be able to click a Map tab bottom left to see the POI location on the map before you select it as your destination. Original software did not work for this in two of my cars, after update did in both of them. Same update fixes bluetooth issues too.
I dont understand? Can you PM me how to re-create this so i can show it to them