E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Remote control?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E-350
Remote control?

The manual of my 2011 E350 has a section about a remote control. My car did not come with one (the only options I have on it are P1 and split folding rear seats). Was I supposed to get a remote control or does it only come with some option that I don't have on my car? Thanks.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2023 CLA 250, 2003 CLK320
Remote control as in RC style control? The key has the lock/unlock buttons, is that what you are talking bout? Or the keyless go thing where you keep the key in your pocket and just touch the door handle?
Old 07-08-2011, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E-350
No, remote control as in one similar to those you get with TVs and stereos etc. The manual has a picture of one like that (though it's a bit more diminutive that the typical TV remote) and it's supposed to control many functions including the audio. My guess would be that it comes with the back seat entertainment option (which I don't have) but I just wanted to make sure that's the case and that I'm not missing one.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Got it We did not have it as well (2011 E350) I have P2 and the 7.1 MM Harmon Kardon package. I think its only with the rear ent system. The thing is you can;t watch the video while not in park so its useless option anyway. There should be an option to install a ceiling mounded foll down screen that would run off the DD player in the head unit, but thats way too much to ask....
Old 07-08-2011, 06:36 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
W211 E320 & W212 E550
Originally Posted by dariusf
Got it We did not have it as well (2011 E350) I have P2 and the 7.1 MM Harmon Kardon package. I think its only with the rear ent system. The thing is you can;t watch the video while not in park so its useless option anyway. There should be an option to install a ceiling mounded foll down screen that would run off the DD player in the head unit, but thats way too much to ask....
So your saying that the rear ent system is a useless option cause you can't watch it unless it is in park?
Old 07-08-2011, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RNBRAD
So your saying that the rear ent system is a useless option cause you can't watch it unless it is in park?
well there are two, one is factory build in to the headrests, the headsets look funny, this has to be ordered with the car and from what I understand its not available in US. then there is I think $2000 option that mounts on the existing headrests and looks totally aftermarket. Not sure if these have a build in DVD players or interface with the cars DVD player and bypass the park block. I was more referring to adding aftermarket screens, as far as I know with out a costly hardware overwrite ($300?) one has to install ones with DVDs build in and will not be able to utilize the cars DVD.

I think this is the factory 'build in' option

and this is the package they offer as an add on later ?

Last edited by dariusf; 07-08-2011 at 08:18 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:50 PM

W211 E320 & W212 E550
The tan is the factory option and it is available in the U.S. There is a DVD player located just under the middle rear seat cushion. You can use it to send video to either rear seat headrest LCD. If you want you can send video from the command to the monitors or just 1 of them. So you can actually watch 2 different movies at the same time on the rear ent package. It also works for the backseat passengers while in motion.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RNBRAD
The tan is the factory option and it is available in the U.S. There is a DVD player located just under the middle rear seat cushion. You can use it to send video to either rear seat headrest LCD. If you want you can send video from the command to the monitors or just 1 of them. So you can actually watch 2 different movies at the same time on the rear ent package. It also works for the backseat passengers while in motion.
Thanks for the info, you definitely know more about that option then the dealer we got the car from I'm wondering if there is a way to purchase the rear monitors and then connect them somehow just to the command dvd player. That would be great for our two kids in the back (wife's car). I would guess there is video out in the HU one can tap in to? But the removal of the PARK requirement might be an issue unless thats only for the command HU and the video out is not effected?
Old 07-09-2011, 11:02 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
those are nice systems....
I broke down and bought a portable dvd player that can slide into the backseat pocket thing......works pretty well......
when the wife isn't traveling with us......
I move the seat up and the back too.....it's pretty cool and was only 179 bux for the dvd player thing, LOL.....
Old 07-09-2011, 01:40 PM

W211 E320 & W212 E550
Originally Posted by dariusf
Thanks for the info, you definitely know more about that option then the dealer we got the car from I'm wondering if there is a way to purchase the rear monitors and then connect them somehow just to the command dvd player. That would be great for our two kids in the back (wife's car). I would guess there is video out in the HU one can tap in to? But the removal of the PARK requirement might be an issue unless thats only for the command HU and the video out is not effected?
The command has the option to send video to rear output. So when this happens the rears video is not affected by being in motion. Only the front monitor is. So yes I would assume there is a vid out from the command but not sure if it's proprietary or not. I'm not sure what it would take to install the factory system or who does it. It is a great system for the kids, it comes with 2 wireless headphones and 2 remote controls. Either remote can control rt or left monitors with the flick of a switch on the remote. Really a cool system and the headphones aren't the cheesy ones you find with most units.