E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Is the "DISTRONIC" worth it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
What vehicles spew laser besides infinities? Same question for radar?

I have a V1 get laser quickies often where I know no constable is there, usually a line of cars going in the opposite direction in a curve. Is this from laser driving nannies?

Originally Posted by Johnny Mo
Well I am going to go out on a limb here and be the first NO vote for this. I've mentioned this before - in my post when I had to special order my E without this feature, but for me I'd prefer that my radar detector not get false alarms the entire time I am driving than have the distronic...I've driven for 25 years without the aid of electronic nannies and having them is not going to change the way I drive, I use my mirrors, I drive at night for the rnage of my headlights etc. I'm all for technology and advancements in safety, but between the laser guided lane control on alot of Infinit vehicles and the MB's with Distronic I pass on the road, I get more than my fill of false radar alerts so I don't need to become my own false alert generator.

For the price - I would likely be driving with it off most of the time so woudln't be worth it for me.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'11 E550 4MATIC, '07 Suzuki SV1000S
V1 and Laser

Originally Posted by grane
What vehicles spew laser besides infinities? Same question for radar?

I have a V1 get laser quickies often where I know no constable is there, usually a line of cars going in the opposite direction in a curve. Is this from laser driving nannies?
You will get laser false alerts from Infiniti (their front bumpers/grille), from most GM/GMC trucks/SUV's - their 3rd brakelight is a neon or something that emits an infrared that sets it off. BMW Z8 brakelight (rare to see though), and false radar alerts from any MB with Distronic. The problem is that anytime you hear a laser alert with all of the recurring falses...your first reaction is to look for the culprit of a false alert and not actually hit the brakes thinking it really is a cop. SOMETIMES you will get a false laser alert from the reflection off of the NAV screen, and definitely if you have rear seat entertainment - when your kids hit the remote...my son actually apologies now when he does it because he knows it was him that set off the V-1.